Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Windows Phone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Question Windows Phone?

well Audrey has been trying to get out of her sprint and blackberry bold for several years now. she finally made the jump last night.
T-Mobile had there Windows Phone HTC 8x for Free last night on Cyber monday
so she picked it up, should be here today.

i dont keep up with phones, whats the skinny on this thing? the good, the bad, and the ugly?
ie what does it do well? and what does it suck at?

and obviously its not apple/iphone based, is it android? ie for apps and stuff? or is it a 3rd type of phone now?

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Windows Phone?

Its not Apple, its not Android...its Windows 8.

Only down side I know of is lack of the apps of Android and Apple, but that will pick up.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Its not Apple, its not Android...its Windows 8.

Only down side I know of is lack of the apps of Android and Apple, but that will pick up.
Exactly true. My wife and I both have windows phones and I don't think I'll ever go back. SOOO simple and easy to use, and I don't need a ton of useless apps that I don't use anyway.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

great to hear. if the phone is great, shes not a big app person, so the lack of them wont bother her much.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i got the nokia 920, it has windows 8, phone is awesome i love it, it has alot of apps, i havnt gone through them yet, just browsed
jscalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

nice little deal you got there!

I'm hoping to do an upgrade w/ Tmobile this year...I'll have to give this a look.

FYI, I'm not sure if they'll do it this year, but last year at valentine's day, Tmobile had a great deal for new/upgrading customers. Got my fiance at the time the latest/greatest blackberry for free w/ a 2yr contract (mail-in rebate tho)...usually like $250 after savings.

We had to increase our data package for like 2 months to qualify, but considering we were saving $250, I agreed to pay $10/month more for 2 months. After we got the rebate back, we dropped our plans back down.

That's what I'm going to look for this year; I desperately need an upgrade from my galaxy S.
siuvinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Pretty much everyone here summed it up already. I have the HTC 8x and love it. Love the ease of everything. If she does Facebook and such, she'll love it. You really don't even need the Facebook app, everything can be done via the People Hub. I have a Zune Pass ($100/yr or something) and I can download pretty much anything in the Xbox Music library and play it; and I can play it on my Zune, my phone, or my computer. Overall I think it's a pretty damn good phone, and I like the Windows Phone 8 OS.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

great info guys. yeah she really only talks, text, facebooks, and emails on her phone. well and takes lots of pictures. and occationally she googles this or that, or directions etc. alarm clock too.

salmon can you tell me more about this people hub and explain it? so i can explain it to her how to use it for facebook.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 11-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Under Settings, Email and Accounts, you can link you other accounts like Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, etc. Have her add w/e she wants there.

Then when you go to you People Hub, you will see all the contacts from all of those accounts (if you have multiple accounts of the same person, you can link them together). When you select one of the contacts, you will see all the options to communicate to that person; Call, Text, write on wall, send email, etc. If you swipe the page to the left, you get the 'What's new' page. here you see all of that contacts updates, posts, etc. Slide one more, and you see their photos. Slide again, and you get the history between you and that contact. If you open up just the people hub, you can go to what's new, recent, together (think groups), and all. This is the general overview of how it all works together. No need to open up a Facebook app, etc.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

awesome. ill show her your post tonight. very helpful. especially how to set it up and use it.

Windows Phone? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 7 brushlessemaxx Chit Chat 9 05-04-2009 06:40 PM
Windows XP Vs. Linux run2jeepn Chit Chat 18 01-20-2008 12:23 PM
What the... !@#$%^& windows! slugzracing Chit Chat 22 07-18-2007 11:59 AM
How many IM windows? SR5Dave Chit Chat 11 02-02-2005 07:33 PM