Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Defy Gravity

Default Re: Job Interview help.

i don't even know what to say to that.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
RCC Addict

If you can't fake confidence bring fake boobs.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Seriously though, I go in with a attitude that I already got the job and the interview is just there so me and my employer get to know each other. It doesn't always work but I carry that attitude to the next job..

And keep it short and to the point. Less talk is more in my experience.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
Defy Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
And keep it short and to the point. Less talk is more in my experience.

liking this a lot. it would help with rambling too to keep this in mind.

and the fake boobs....well
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I think you're better off going in there with an attitude like you're there to help them kick ass and get their start up company started up and kicking ass than you are calling them sir and wearing a tie.
Agreed. Anybody can go clothes shopping, not everyone can carry a can-do attitude.

Be excited to be there and be excited at the prospect of working for them.

Having said that, the best jobs I've ever gotten were when I acted like I didn't need them.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
i don't even know what to say to that.
remember these were 6 other guys going for a carpenter/general contracting foreman job with 4 guys under them to build homes....your very basic avg size room is 12 x 12....if your in this trade and don't know what 12 x 12 is ....that's like not knowing your birthday ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
Defy Gravity

exactly, i still have nothing, its frankly mind boggling.

and the whole walking in in normal clothes will just look sloppy, half of the shirts have had a run in with a wire wheel, the other half have burns. i have the shirt, tie, khakis, and shoes already, not getting all whored up, just business casual.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Some tips...

1. Don't play with your fingers, clothes, etc. Good posture and such. Lots of people sit there and fiddle with their hair or fingers, makes you look bored or not able to keep concentration. Don't make it look like you have ADHD.
2. Be prepared for the dumb questions as people have stated above. Know exactly what examples or what you are gonna use. Be prepared for the follow up questions they ask.
3. EYE contact. LOOK at the people you are talking to.
4. Don't over answer, but don't under answer. Nobody wants a 15 minute answer to question (remember this when thinking of examples, a 30 minute story is NOT good, but very rarely are they looking for a two word answer. I stopped listening to answer that last more than 5 minutes....keep them in general to a couple minutes or less.
5. Don't use anything that talks bad about former employers or coworkers.....I tend to avoid examples that bring up this stuff unless you get the "How would you deal with an asshole coworker questions".
6. Nobody likes a sob story, so avoid them...life isn't fair, don't try to ride hard times into a job, it rarely works.
7. When asked when you could start, offer to finish out the day.....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Some excellent suggestions so far.

Yes, know something (hopefully worthwhile, maybe even hard to find) about the company you may end up working for.

Can you find a description of the soldering cert test, or part of a training manual? It may turn up some key words/thoughts to use during the interview.

Keep answers relevant.

Be clean & groomed with clean & neat clothes.

Don't slam past co-workers or employers. Maybe an answer of "After X time there, I felt that job was not a good match for my skills/where I wanted to stay longterm."

As to, "When can you start?", I usually use, "Because of my current job responsibilities, I really should give them at least 2 weeks notice."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I was asked this once, my answer?? "I want to be working maybe 3 days a week, no real responsibilities and making over $100,000/year."

Almost 13 years later, I'm still there.

No, my answer is NOT how I'm working "after 5 years", but, I'm working.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I once turned someone down for a job because he couldn't keep his fingers out of his shoes. Like he was itching his feet while he was interviewing. Come on man! He was interviewing for a customer facing position dealing with high level corporate customers... I think he might work phones now.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
No idea what I'm doing

If you know the company they are hiring for, look them up and learn as much as you can about what they do, as well as who their competitors are, and the field they are in. Since they are a startup, that might not be easy, but at least try. That way you can ask questions, and show that you are interested in what they are doing. Startups like motivated people, so make sure they know you can get things done without constant supervision.

Since you are going through a temp agency, if you don't get the job follow up with them and see who they did hire and why. They're motivated to find you a job since they get a piece of the pie too, so keep in touch and try to get a feeling for what employers in the area are looking for.

And don't bring beer.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
Defy Gravity

Charlie- just looked at a training manual online, manual was vague on some points, but had a very detailed inspection section. so i know what they are looking for, and most importantly, i've been following the right way (learned through much trial and error and the helpful people on this forum) for a long time. the areas where they may critique my previous work can be firmly pointed at too low an iron temp, and right now there's not much i can do for that, funds don't permit a nice iron. if they set a sample board in front of me, knowing what they are looking for will help greatly in ensuring that i do the job right.

and i'm more likely to go with eddieo's finishing out the day on when can you start

salmon- the fidgeting is a bit of a problem, but i don't play with my shoes. more likely to start "counting fingers" as i call it (thumb to each finger). its something i'm working on, but i've always been fidgety, so hard to break.\

chud- quit drinking 2 years ago, so the beer isn't an issue . the temp agency is being tight lipped on details to say the least, but i will remember my motivated attitude before i walk out the door.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 11-28-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Sooo....it's Thursday....wonder how it will turn out.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #35
Defy Gravity

turns out the person that was going to interview me left for the weekend when i was halfway there. real professional. so i got bumped to monday at 2. visibly pissed is about the only thing to describe my mood at the moment.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
turns out the person that was going to interview me left for the weekend when i was halfway there. real professional. so i got bumped to monday at 2. visibly pissed is about the only thing to describe my mood at the moment.
So, is this someone who is going to be your boss? If so, this is something you should consider when deciding if you want to work here or not. Also, consider the situation...it might have been a family emergency or something.

If it is just an HR lackey, then that is nothing to get mad about. That sounds about par for the HR people I've dealt with over the years...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #37
RCC Addict

It's a shit test.. Don't let it bother you.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #38
Defy Gravity

yeah, i got home and took a nap, not nearly as pissed now. i can understand if it was a family emergency, but all the receptionist said was that they left.

EDIT: this place keeps getting better. i just got a call that my appointment tomorrow (had the one today that got bumped to monday, nothing else) would have to be delayed, until, you guessed it, monday. so this temp agency is knocking it out of the park right now.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 11-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #39
Defy Gravity

well, had the interview today. coming out, grand slam. nice comfy chairs, decent person to talk to, and with one little online tweak, i'll be golden. none of the typical interview questions, just easy talk. turns out the hiring company is a medical electronics supplier, so pretty intense stuff.

thank you to all that contributed

EDIT: the computer site hiccup got fixed, just sitting on my hands waiting now.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 12-03-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Best of luck to you. I read through the whole thread, curious to see how much the interviewing processes have changed as I find myself trying to get back into the job market.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Job Interview help. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't sleep, job interview tomorrow calikingcrawler Chit Chat 24 06-07-2012 09:05 PM
Job Interview! chops1sc Chit Chat 1 01-13-2010 05:26 PM
Job interview in the morning soundcolor Chit Chat 15 08-12-2009 11:47 AM