RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Fwck gun control (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/418011-fwck-gun-control.html)

SINister 12-16-2012 04:14 PM

Re: Fwck gun control

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coops (Post 4071249)
I'm all for owning guns, but the right for any idiot to go out and buy a full auto assault rifle isn't worth it especially when you consider attacks on schools which seems to be the norm. It won't reduce the number of incidence but it may reduce the number of casualties in a masacre. Sure this leaves the illegal weapons for gangs and such, but how many gangs go after the general public? Full boss has its fun factor but so does something that can shoot a dime group at 200+ yards but only holds 5 rounds. Handguns I don't think are an issue. Getting carried away with gun control isn't going to do you guys any good. Limiting availability of excessively destructive weapons may.

More though, has to do with how we raise our kids; mine by the way, are the same age as the ones killed. I have a youth 22 for them to learn on. I'd rather teach them respect and how to use a real one than have them play with fake ones. Out of curiosity, do most states require some sort of firearm safety course prior to purchasing a weapon? As soon as I was old enough my dad put me through hunter safety, I think so he could put more deer in the freezer.

You can't buy full auto weapons without special tax stamps, permission from the local pd and a bucket load of cash or you are a member of law enforcement. This is on top of your local state laws for purchasing a normal firearm. The weapon used was semi-auto.

joesbruiser 12-16-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SINister (Post 4071350)
You can't buy full auto weapons without special tax stamps, permission from the local pd and a bucket load of cash or you are a member of law enforcement. This is on top of your local state laws for purchasing a normal firearm. The weapon used was semi-auto.

This is very true.I know here local to obtain my tax stamp it takes about 6 months,tons of paper work and a signature from the local sheriff.
You can not just run out and legally buy a class 3 firearm.

As many people have said gun control is not the answer.And i see that some people do not see a good reason for people to be able to own large capacity firearms such as AR's.
There are a lot of reasons but my reason is this.
3-Gun Nation
I personally have not checked but I bet the number of people who compete in events such as this ,IDPA,and others that have went out and committed crimes with a firearm would be very low.

dkf 12-16-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 4070810)
Maybe we should take a closer look at Japan's gun control policy.

Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do.

In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone.

Handguns are forbidden absolutely. Small-caliber rifles have been illegal to buy, sell, or transfer since 1971. Anyone who owned a rifle before then is allowed to keep it, but their heirs are required to turn it over to the police once the owner dies.

OK let the bashing begin.

At present time there are roughly 300,000,000 guns in the US. If we use your 12,000 homicides and assume 1 homicide per gun (some guns can have several homicides to their credit) That means .00004% of the 300,000,000 guns commit homicide.

In 2009 there was 33,808 deaths in the US do to automobiles. In 2009 there was an estimated 254,212,610 registered passenger vehicles. Which equates to .00013% of those vehicles killed someone.

So by your logic automobiles should be illegal and confiscated also?

I think you are do for another CAT scan my friend."thumbsup"

microgoat 12-16-2012 05:32 PM

Strict gun control laws didn't help the 3 French kids and their rabbi that got shot in March.

Duuuuuuuude 12-16-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 4070965)
Actually, I asked my wife about this and she said what is typically misdiagnosed as Aspergers when a kid is younger, actually turns out to be a thought disorder (an example is schizophrenia) when someone is older. Not saying that is the case with this person (as she has obviously never met him), but that is a common occurance.

Highly likely. I'm sure we'll find out more in the coming weeks. Mental health (or the lack thereof) is rarely cut and dry and many symptoms can overlap from one classification to another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 4070969)
Oh, help is always there. The tough part is convincing the person and their family that they need help."thumbsup" My wife sits in court quite a few days out of the year doing this exact same thing.

"thumbsup"

I've heard many times that a person is "just depressed, they should gtf over it", but it can be way more complicated than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 4070983)
This has nothing to do with protecting our children. This is about control.

They are systematically dismantling our Constitutional Rights.

Tragic events like this shooting are nothing more than fodder to advance their agenda.

That is the natural reaction to any bad situation. People always are quick to blame the inanimate objects. He could have walked in and did what he did with a bar of soap, and there would be a huge backlash against soap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 4071120)
I have one other thing to bring up, don't hear it as much but in my little brain seems just as relevent if not more relevant in this gun controversy.
I don't play video games, never have. I have seen and watched many of them played over the years.
From "Pong" (yeah I know) to the newest game today a lot has changed (right alongside TV).
Pac Man, that violent little overeater, everyone seemed to play it. But now, the games that I have had a chance to see, they "ARE" these tragedies that are happening, they are realistic, live, murderous rampages on a video screen right in front of the "shooter", acting it out, over and over and over.
Combine this kind of "addiction" in many cases, with say drugs, alcohol or mental illness and picking up a real gun instead of a joystick does'nt seem like a stretch.
I heard a reporter say that a 8 year old child see's an average of 2.6 murder's a day, on TV.
I'm not saying ban video games any more than guns, I'm just saying, this country has some issues. The "reality" mentality and "15 minutes of fame" attitudes along with lack of accountability is really disturbing.

Just sayin', as contributing factors, what are ya gonna blame,,,,,,,,,,,

Kids playing games today is not a whole lot different than when we played cowboys and indians or army with our buddies. We ran around with toy guns shooting and killing each other.

My son plays all the games he's not supposed to that are full of guns, bad language, and graphic violence. He does so with the understanding that it is all make believe and that it is NOT acceptable to do any of that in real life.

What is more disturbing to me are all the "investigative" shows that do show and go into detail about real life murders, rapes, and suicides.

rock hard 12-16-2012 06:09 PM

america was founded by a rare breed of man... we americans as a whole, dont like to obey laws we disagree with.

look at probition.....only reason the violent criminals thrived....is cuz us american said ( F>>>U ) to the law.

Look at how many people smoke pot, and think they have the ( right ) to even though its illegal in thier state.

This is cuz they feel it should be legal, and are willing to ignore the law, and turn a blind eye to the violent gangs/cartels that profit.

Ban guns, and it will spawn the most violent dacade our nation has ever know. the criminal element of our history will be miniscule in comparison.
The criminals here, cross the bourder will flurish in such an inviroment..

cuzican 12-16-2012 07:04 PM

Yeah...making guns illegal will keep people from having guns....just like making drugs illegal has kept people from having drugs.

Calling AR15's and other semi-auto rifles "assault weapons" is wrong anyway.....Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think banning guns is the answer....this shooting happened in a gun free zone. (school) CT has the 5th strictest gun control laws in the U.S.
The shooting in Colorado at the movie theater is a good example. The shooter passed up several movie theaters closer to his home in favor of one with a sign out front banning firearms inside removing the possibility of another citizen having a CCW.

The recent shooting at a mall in Oregon was stopped by a private citizen with a CCW. The shooter shot 2 people....the private citizen took cover and drew his weapon....the shooter saw this, retreated to a stairwell and shot himself.
But you won't find this information in the media....they leave it out on purpose.
Google it.....you will find stories about it all over the internet, but not ONE of them on a large news network. They don't want you to hear about the good things that gun owners do. Only the bad.

Think banning guns is the answer? Switzerland has no army....all of their adult males age 20-30 are trained, then issued weapons, and told to keep them at home, and respond to situations accordingly.
Know how many gun homicides there were in Switzerland last year? 54

The average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by police is 14.3

The average number of people killed in a mass shooting when stopped by a civilian is 2.3.

Not to mention that people will find a way to kill no matter what object is available.
Edit: Didn't 20+ kids just get stabbed in a school in China the other day?
Take away guns and people will still find a way. Don't know why there are so many people unwilling, or uneducated enough to accept this.
I could keep going and going

I'll die in a pile of spent brass before I give up my guns.

Coops 12-16-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SINister (Post 4071350)

I did not know that. Sounds similar to here then.

I could buy a semi auto AR15 but semi-auto's here have to be limited to 5 shot. However, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to make something like that full boss. Finding a larger clip would take a little bit of work, but is possible. Mind you someone who would do something like that probably wouldn't do it to go on a killing spree either.

dkf 12-16-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

The recent shooting at a mall in Oregon was stopped by a private citizen with a CCW. The shooter shot 2 people....the private citizen took cover and drew his weapon....the shooter saw this, retreated to a stairwell and shot himself.
But you won't find this information in the media....they leave it out on purpose.
I just read about that several minutes ago. Made me smile.:D

Deerhurst 12-16-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzican (Post 4071669)

Think banning guns is the answer....this shooting happened in a gun free zone. (school) CT has the 5th strictest gun control laws in the U.S.
The shooting in Colorado at the movie theater is a good example. The shooter passed up several movie theaters closer to his home in favor of one with a sign out front banning firearms inside removing the possibility of another citizen having a CCW.

Google it.....you will find stories about it all over the internet, but not ONE of them on a large news network. They don't want you to hear about the good things that gun owners do. Only the bad.

as a law abiding firearms enthusiast i want to point out, the mall was private property and had a no firearms sign posted. the CHL holder was also in the wrong and illegally carried a firearm where he should not have. one of those things you learn in a CHL class.

the shooter was also said to have discharged up to 30 rounds. he was either a terrible shot or after a specific person.

IMHO, everyone should take a firearms class such as the one needed before submitting for a CHL.

dkf 12-17-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerhurst (Post 4072082)
as a law abiding firearms enthusiast i want to point out, the mall was private property and had a no firearms sign posted. the CHL holder was also in the wrong and illegally carried a firearm where he should not have. one of those things you learn in a CHL class.

Depends on state law. In my state that is not illegal. Don't know about CO.

joesbruiser 12-17-2012 05:08 AM

I posted in another thread on how a person with a carry permit should be able to carry in any city or state. I also fell they should be able to carry anywhere they go.
The guy in the mall with the cc permit may have been in the wrong by carrying into the mall but IMHO should not have been and for several reasons.
A couple that pop into my head real quick.
1st This shooting could have been way worse.
2nd He could have stuck the pistol in the glove box of his truck or the trunk of his car before going into the mall.That is the correct thing to do when you see one of those stupid no handgun signs.
Now the gun is in a car in a mall parking lot. To me I would much rather that person be carrying his pistol on his person than have it in the car where it could be stolen and used by a criminal.I am sure there where more people in that mall who had a CCW permit that had left there pistol in the car. So you have a parking lot full of guns sitting there for the taking and one guy inside carrying who was using his head and was able to stop a bad situation.

binaryterror 12-17-2012 07:20 AM

If they want to pass new gun control laws, I'll gladly give my guns back...so long as the military and all law enforcement officers do first...

microgoat 12-17-2012 08:06 AM

[history]In 1776 (guaranteed by the Constitution in 1789) any citizen with the means to purchase one could own the deadliest firearms available at the time. The founders wrote the 2nd Amendment to ensure that the citizens would have firepower equal to that of the Army. This was so they could fight a tyrannical government. Without armed citizens, the American Revolution wouldn't, and couldn't, have happened [/history]

Today we have much better weapons, and our government passes laws and taxes that would have given George III a massive royal boner. The founders intended that the citizens would do something about it. Imagine Occupy Wall Street if all the dirty hippies had AK's, we'd see some change, or a massacre that would inspire the armed masses.

Gun control is going to happen. The Democrats will paint anyone who opposes it as an advocate of child murder, and the NRA will have one hell of a time preventing it.

But hey, it'll be okay. There's a new season of Honey Boo Boo coming up!

bigstu 12-17-2012 08:08 AM

The funny part is, everyone thinks the guns are doing the killing.
PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. Simple enough. It doesn't matter if they use a gun, a bomb, a car, an airplane, or a pen. People kill people.

Australia inacted some pretty serious gun control laws back in the mid 90's.
Lawful citizens had a hard time getting a gun or keeping their guns, and personal protection was NOT an acceptable reason to have a gun.
Know who has the guns now? That's right, the criminals.
Mass shootings, like those that have happened recently, did decrease significtantly.
However, most of those authors won't tell you that other crimes did increase in numbers. And we're not talking crimes like shop lifting, we're talking crimes like robbery, rape, and home invasions.

After seeing everything that has happened recently I have two comments/questions....
#1 The American news media is not interested in reporting the facts, they are interested in resporting sensational stories that frighten and change people.
If anyone has the chance look up Christopher Titus' view on the news media. He asks the question, are they really any better than the terrorists?

#2 If one of those teachers, one of the people in that movie theater, or one of those pilots were lawful citizens who carried a weapon, would there be as many dead? Would there be a movie theater that will forever be scarred? Would the towers in New York still be standing?

End of rant...

binaryterror 12-17-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstu (Post 4072784)
#2 If one of those teachers, one of the people in that movie theater, or one of those pilots were lawful citizens who carried a weapon, would there be as many dead? Would there be a movie theater that will forever be scarred? Would the towers in New York still be standing?

Pretty simple answer. If you have first responders in all areas, things happen quickly:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04747874_n.jpg

microgoat 12-17-2012 08:47 AM

How many of those "shooting rampages stopped by police" ended with the shooter killing himself? Most of 'em, I bet.

CREEPERBOB 12-17-2012 08:49 AM

Not me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 4072715)
If they want to pass new gun control laws, I'll gladly give my guns back...so long as the military and all law enforcement officers do first...

dkf 12-17-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 4072715)

Say even if you managed to collect every gun ever made by the end of today. What is to stop me or anyone else from making their own guns?

The technology has been invented, there are people out there with the know how to make them....

rock hard 12-17-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonclod (Post 4071291)
just some facts
murder rate in japan including all forms of murder .3 per 100,000
murder rate in u.s. including all forms of murder 4.2 per 100,000, so its not that they just use knives
i think its too late now for gun control..but pretty much proven there are less gun deaths where there is gun control, i enjoy guns..not sure what to think anymore..anyway too late now

I would argue differently...

the type of people, thier morals, and belifes make up alot of the mentality of the country.

say for example you remove all guns from the hands of islamiist....think thier murder rates will go down? or thier suicide rate?

look at buddist, if you place a gun in each of thier hands do you thinkk thier murder rate will go up?

Its not right to compare america to any other nation, cuz we are NOT any other nation.

In THIS country, crime goes down when everyone is assumed to be armed and trained.

IN THIS country, disarming the people makes them even more volnerable to the criminals, and others who have ill intent.

The only think keeping us as free and safe as we currently are......
are our guns.

and shooting likek this are not really new.....hitting kids is.

I remember 2 bad shooting in the 70's from my own recolection.
the austin tower and a fort hood resturant....

I dont remember the people wanting to throw in the towl and give up our own means of protection.....making cops, criminals and ilitary the only ones armed.

These crimes are bieng used.....and tunred into propaganda....to push agendas.

Nothing would makke people of texas more suppoortive of succession than threatening our right to carry.