RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Fwck gun control (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/418011-fwck-gun-control.html)

Stormin2u 12-17-2012 09:29 AM

Re: Fwck gun control

The Sandy Hook slaughter looks like the tipping point for a serious national discussion on the Second Amendment rights and what it's become. As gun owners and sportsmen we need to prepare ourselves for the possibility of a very difficult fight and the possibility of things changing. We have never seen a reaction brewing of this magnitude before. The most recent polling shows a huge ground swell movement demanding changes to laws based on the Second Amendment. Personally I don't think the NRA or the gun lobby will be able to deliver an argument that will satisfy everyone in this angry mob that's assembling, it's very possible somethings will be changed. Most at risk are military style assault weapons and ammunition, body armor and certain had guns all will be at high risk.

Ricky's right our mental health care system that carred for our mentally ill was taken apart by President Clinton and Speaker Gingrich fifteen years ago to balance our budget. In hind site it was a penny wise and pound foolish exercise and the evidence is everywhere. Unfortunately we have more extremely disturbed people on the streets today than ever before. They go untreated and unrecognized most are harmless but a few freaks use weapons to take innocent lives usually in the process of taking their own. How we the NRA and the gun lobby answer to that extreme will make all the difference.

It would be a crying shame to see long standing family sporting traditions change but I don't think their in jeopardy. But many other laws we currently enjoy could easily be lost dependent on the majority of Americans apatite for this upcoming long battle it appears we're going to have on guns in America.

I have a feeling this one is coming straight at us unlike the previous mass killings of the past this one has extremely high charged emotional energy behind it that probably won't fade away like others have.

dunerinaz 12-17-2012 09:29 AM

To the poster who mentioned parental discipline and getting a nice smack on the ass, agreed. How many of these psychopaths would have committed the crime if they had parents that TRULY gave a rat's ass about their kids and disciplining them when they messed up? I grew up in strict home and if I messed up, I got a belt or paddle to the rear end. I thought my parents were the worst because of it, until I grew up and realized why they did it. If parents would be parents and not try to be their kid's best friend or be the "cool parent", things would be different. I'll go to my grave believing that. My solace in this tragedy is knowing that those children are in a much better place where they'll never know pain, sickness, or heartache again.

JohnRobHolmes 12-17-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 4070810)
Maybe we should take a closer look at Japan's gun control policy.

Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do.

In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone.

Handguns are forbidden absolutely. Small-caliber rifles have been illegal to buy, sell, or transfer since 1971. Anyone who owned a rifle before then is allowed to keep it, but their heirs are required to turn it over to the police once the owner dies.

OK let the bashing begin.

The big problem with Japans statistics is the method they use to keep track of the crimes. They show stats from the police reports. Not reported crimes, but the crimes that police officers record. A LOT of crime goes unlisted in Japan. Better to have more solved murders than to record every single one, right?

But there is a very large cultural difference in Japan, one of greater mutual respect than in the US. They have been on the same land for thousands of years and know how to handle themselves without putting shame on their family name. During the last large catastrophe, people lined up and waited to get rationed water from stores that had no power. What happens in the US? We loot stores and take as much for ourselves as possible.

binaryterror 12-17-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 4072862)
Not me.

My terms would never be met...sarcasm in reply allows me to basically know I'll never have to give mine back.

rock hard 12-17-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerinaz (Post 4072962)
To the poster who mentioned parental discipline and getting a nice smack on the ass, agreed. How many of these psychopaths would have committed the crime if they had parents that TRULY gave a rat's ass about their kids and disciplining them when they messed up? I grew up in strict home and if I messed up, I got a belt or paddle to the rear end. I thought my parents were the worst because of it, until I grew up and realized why they did it. If parents would be parents and not try to be their kid's best friend or be the "cool parent", things would be different. I'll go to my grave believing that. My solace in this tragedy is knowing that those children are in a much better place where they'll never know pain, sickness, or heartache again.

I think religion could be a factor ( or lack of ) I would be curios to find out what % of the past shooters we know of went to church reguarly as youth.

ecoli 12-17-2012 09:43 AM

A couple of things I'd like to point out:

1. The guns used in this killing did not belong to the shooter, they belonged to his mother. Even if he had been previously screened as "mentally unsuitable for using guns", he still had access to them. For me, part of responsible gun ownership is making sure that the guns you do own are only accessible to the owner. Time and time again you hear of purposeful or accidental shooting because people are too lazy or cheap to buy a proper gun safe and use it.

2. Parental upbringing does not always determine mental health. Numerous mental disorders are the result of imbalances in brain chemistry, not because the person was spanked or not spanked as a kid. There is a huge education process needed on mental health, including removing the stigma of having mental health issues.

Reading through the posts here and seeing the news reports, I really feel a lot of US citizens live in a state of paranoia, fearing that if they don't have guns, some random stranger is going to shoot them. I think the media is to blame for this as well, highlighting and overexposing cases like this and making it seem as though society is falling apart and you must prepare for the apocalypse now.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against responsible gun ownership. However, when certain groups use fear as a motive for owning a gun, that is never a good situation.

Deerhurst 12-17-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 4072604)
Depends on state law. In my state that is not illegal. Don't know about CO.

in oregon, it is illegal to carry on private property when notice is given. the guy who was conceal carrying in clackimas was just as much in the wrong as the guy who did the shooting in respects to having a firearm on the property. its called criminal trespass usually. if notice is given you can be picked up by the cops and charged, CHL or no CHL, if you do not comply.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

binaryterror 12-17-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock hard (Post 4072981)
I think religion could be a factor ( or lack of ) I would be curios to find out what % of the past shooters we know of went to church reguarly as youth.

So you think going to church deters crazys? I guess if you think molesters who spend their entire life in the faith aren't crazy you might be onto something. Otherwise your point is invalid.

Deerhurst 12-17-2012 09:48 AM

why is everyone so bent on seeing if there was blame on the gun or not? its an inanimate object. a tool, if you will. people have been killing and injuring each other since the beginning of time without guns. guns are a very recent invention as far as human history goes.

the issue is people.

how to we fix the people problem?

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

c0bra 12-17-2012 09:49 AM

i agree with most of you guys/ girls.
changing the second ammendment to outlaw guns isnt going to solve a damn thing. i beleive it will cause ALOT more problems.

people say guns kill people. for example if somebody put a loaded gun in the center of a place were several thousand people go to in a day, and nothing touched that gun. after several days nobody would have been killed. for this to be true, the gun is not the issue.

i beleive we need some more security around the schools, wether it be nore security to get into one, or more police officers around to ensure that the students and faculty are safe. instead of that make people who are trying to buy a firearm have to take a test to prove that you not insane, and sign something that they are going to be responsible and put there firearm in a gun safe of some sort.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

rock hard 12-17-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 4073001)
So you think going to church deters crazys? I guess if you think molesters who spend their entire life in the faith aren't crazy you might be onto something. Otherwise your point is invalid.

church offers a huge amount of moral support and guidance.

I was raised baptist....

I dont like the power or ideologies the catholic church has,( I aint bowing to any man, and I damn sure aint kissin his ring ) or thier past ways of doing things....hell that is where lutherans come from....one of their own ( catholics ) saw them as corrupted.

lots of shit went wrong with the boy scouts too, but they also did alot of good. Bad people are gonna do bad shit....

the problem with both the catholics and teh boy scouts is how they handled the problems.....cant stop what might happen, but you can handle it properly
at least and not hide it.

rock hard 12-17-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoli (Post 4072994)
A couple of things I'd like to point out:

1. The guns used in this killing did not belong to the shooter, they belonged to his mother. Even if he had been previously screened as "mentally unsuitable for using guns", he still had access to them. For me, part of responsible gun ownership is making sure that the guns you do own are only accessible to the owner. Time and time again you hear of purposeful or accidental shooting because people are too lazy or cheap to buy a proper gun safe and use it.

2. Parental upbringing does not always determine mental health. Numerous mental disorders are the result of imbalances in brain chemistry, not because the person was spanked or not spanked as a kid. There is a huge education process needed on mental health, including removing the stigma of having mental health issues.

Reading through the posts here and seeing the news reports, I really feel a lot of US citizens live in a state of paranoia, fearing that if they don't have guns, some random stranger is going to shoot them. I think the media is to blame for this as well, highlighting and overexposing cases like this and making it seem as though society is falling apart and you must prepare for the apocalypse now.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against responsible gun ownership. However, when certain groups use fear as a motive for owning a gun, that is never a good situation.

we have a different opinion on whats resposible

How locked down should the guns be?

My son could need access to a weapon....

My guns are always loaded with one in the chamber, and none are locked up.
my sons shotgun stays next to teh front door.

my wifes 38 is next to her front seat in her car

my 45 is next to my passenger seat in my truck

I want every member of my house to have access, the guns are for all our
protection..and ready to use.

This is how my grandad raised his sons
this is how my dad rasied me, and this is how I have raised my son.

every gun is always ready....and we are raised that ( unloaded ) guns kill
more people accidentally than ( loaded ) guns do.

binaryterror 12-17-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock hard (Post 4073022)
church offers a huge amount of moral support and guidance.

I was raised with no church, you are implying I'm immoral and more likely to become a mass shooter?

I don't get why you'd involve religion into this when it has nothing to do with the topic. I mean if you were right, only atheists would kill people, which never seems to be the case.

JeremyH 12-17-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock hard (Post 4073022)
I dont like the power or ideologies the catholic church has,( I aint bowing to any man, and I damn sure aint kissin his ring ) or thier past ways of doing things....

:roll:

As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

johnnyh66 12-17-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock hard (Post 4072981)

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 4073001)

boy did I read that wrong... I thought he was saying church breeds crazies!

rock hard 12-17-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 4073143)
:roll:

As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I lived with my mom and her husband for 3yrs...catholic church....I know what I witnessed and that is what I speak of.

I also know how they let people "buy" thier forgivness. ( this was the spawn of the lutheran church )

Now is it usual for you to speak as your the know it all....

I know this for damn sure...you can kiss my rebel dick:flipoff:

JeremyH 12-17-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock hard (Post 4073217)
Now is it usual for you to speak as your the know it all....

I attended a Catholic Church for 18 years.....none of what you "wittnessed" is true.

gregrocks90046 12-17-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerhurst (Post 4073008)
why is everyone so bent on seeing if there was blame on the gun or not? its an inanimate object. a tool, if you will. people have been killing and injuring each other since the beginning of time without guns. guns are a very recent invention as far as human history goes.

I agree. It is people. That being said, you can kill faster, and a lot more people with a gun than fists, clubs, arrows, knives, etc.

rock hard 12-17-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 4073221)
I attended a Catholic Church for 18 years.....none of what you "wittnessed" is true.

f.u.

I was there, I know what I witnessed, told tell me what is true.

I was raised baptist till 12, lived with my mom in lewisvill from 12-15.
during that time I had to go thier church.......the church was actually in a town called marcus I believe.

at end of service we all got to walk by in sigle file line....take a bow, kiss his ring and call him father.....

I was not raised that way, I did not recieve it well, and never took to it.
My disaprovel of thier church was actually a HUGE problem with her husband, and a main reason I got booted out....

It was actually my distast for thier church that made me check into lutherans....since it was founded from a catholic deserter.

JeremyH 12-17-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock hard (Post 4073241)
f.u.

That's a lovely "church going" attitude you have there...:roll: