Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Sig P229 40 S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Sig P229 40 S&W

OK everyone, the new your is starting out great. Wife says we should get a pistol, home and carry defense.
We went out today looking, she looked at and held about a dozen or so. She fell in love with the Sig, full steel upper and lower.

Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes?
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Sig P229 40 S&W

Sig Sauer is one of the best made, tightest tolerances, in the Auto loading handgun market.
As factory stock goes they are up there with H & K.

I would never recommend an auto loading pistol for self defense.
A double action revolver loaded with 1 less than max (empty under the hammer) is the safest most reliable defense handgun period.
When you need it you pick it up, point, squeeze & it fires without fail (a dud round or bad ammo does not count.)

Have her fire 20 rds through it & see if she still likes .40 S&W.
.38 special served well for 50 years in the police forces around the country, I would look at that (NOT .380 ACP)

Last edited by Dostradamas; 01-29-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks, I know how good the Sigs are, never owned one myself but have shot a few. As for self defense guns, I've been trained on semi (USMC) and know how to use them. I think both Semi and revolver are both good for self defense. This will be my new carry gun (replacing the XD40). Honestly, I just prefer Semi autos over revolver for IWB carry.

She has shot my XD40 and has no issues with it. I do agree a .38 special would also be nice but then I'd have to get another set of dies for reloads !!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If I am not mistaken the sig is double or single action so you can pull the trigger hammer cocked or not and it will go bang. As for sig itself there is a reason it is carried by special forces. They just flat work. I carry the h&k usp chambered in 40 and love it. They are essentially the same gun with a few differences. If you have the coin I say buy the sig or the usp.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Correct, single or double action which I like to be honest. Thanks for the info on the HK as well, I'll take a look into those as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The thing I liked most about the h&k over the sig is the safty. I was always raised to have the safty on and that is a major reason I don't own any of the glock, or xd model guns. I am sure they are safe as can be, but its just that thing in my head. I can actualy hear my dad saying "is the safty on". A bit ironic considering he is sold on the glocks. Go figure.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I do lock the de-cock function on the Sig though, one reason I am leaning towards it.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Safty lever on the h&k is also a decocking lever
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Cool, good to know , thanks again.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ive become a convert to hammerless but, there is something to be said for having the hammer locked back and knowing you are ready to rock.

Your wife had to tell you that you needed a gun? that seriously close to loosing your man card... time to redeem yourself by buying at least 2.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

No, she doesn't like them said we should get one before we can't, I have several already that she has no idea about!! Gotta love her though, saying we need one before we can't get one.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My go to for what it is worth is a h&k usp .40 . For my wife I got a .38 snub da . she would never have to rack the slide or worry about the safety. I have allways heard , that it is beter for a woman to have a revolver , if confronted by a man at close range he can see it is loaded and will reduce his chances of going for it , were as if she is holding an automatic , he will wonder if she took the saftey off or even has one in the chamber . revolver he sees that it is loaded and knows all she has to do is pull the trigger. We chose a da no hammer to get caught up in something if she had to pull it out in a hurry. my two cents .
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Good advice on the revolver, thanks. I found a place locally that lets you rent and shoot different guns. I'll be bringing her there to have her try a few. Like I said above, it will be a carry gun for my and a home defense gun for her, when I work nights ( one weekend a month) so I'll be the main user but I still need something she will not be afraid of or have to think about to use.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

For home defense, I prefer a single/double action auto. That way I can leave one chambered with the hammer forward just like with a revolver, and still be ready to fire. When I go shooting, my wife and I both practice shooting DA to get used to the extra trigger pull. I carry a nice Para Ordnance but for home defense (at least the one next to me at night) is an FN Herstal FNX-45 (nice pistol BTW)
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamaman View Post
My go to for what it is worth is a h&k usp .40 . For my wife I got a .38 snub da . she would never have to rack the slide or worry about the safety. I have allways heard , that it is beter for a woman to have a revolver , if confronted by a man at close range he can see it is loaded and will reduce his chances of going for it , were as if she is holding an automatic , he will wonder if she took the saftey off or even has one in the chamber . revolver he sees that it is loaded and knows all she has to do is pull the trigger. We chose a da no hammer to get caught up in something if she had to pull it out in a hurry. my two cents .
Indeed my original point.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
RCC Addict

All good points guys. Thanks for the great advice.

dunerinaz, the P229 is a double/single action like you describe, 10# pull in double and 4# pull in single. This set up with loaded chamber would be very close if not exact to a revolver no?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Love the gun, hate the caliber. Seeing that you had/have an XD40 though it makes sense why you'd go with a .40. I've owned two and I just never warmed up to it.. I'd rather have the cost/capacity of a 9mm or the size and power of the 45acp. Having something in between never made sense to me.

I don't buy the argument of revolver over auto anymore either.. In many cases your average Sig auto could actually prove to be MORE reliable for a longer period of time than a revolver. Not to mention they are easier and faster to reload in a hurry and are generally easier to shoot and have at least double the capacity in most cases.

Safeties on a handgun are completely useless and that is why most companies don't bother. Other than a cocked and locked 1911 or other single action only autos there is absolutely NO reason to have one, unless it also acts as a de-cocker.

Just for anyone that might not know, the Sig P229 is a DA/SA design unless noted otherwise... There are DAO (double action only) versions out there but not nearly as common.

My Sig P228 and P226 are two of my most prized possessions. You have made a fine choice and it should suit your purposes very well.

Last edited by Jus; 01-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamaman View Post
Revolvers are certainly a great choice for a woman of small stature that might not have the hand strength to rack the slide on some semi-autos but that is where I have to stop you. The rest of what you typed is completely BS. It's as bad as saying racking the slide on your 12 gauge will scare off a home intruder every time.. That's internet non sense that needs to stop. Woman or not, no one should be carrying a gun unless they have some practice and training on how to handle and prepare the gun to be carried. Good grief....
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
All good points guys. Thanks for the great advice.

dunerinaz, the P229 is a double/single action like you describe, 10# pull in double and 4# pull in single. This set up with loaded chamber would be very close if not exact to a revolver no?
Unless it jams/misfires/duds on the 1st round then a racking of the slide will be needed. When you encounter a bad round in a DA revolver you just pull the trigger again (no need for a rack of the slide.)

You have obviously made your choice, buy it & be happy, & keep her shooting it.
Hammerless DA wheelgun will be much easier to conceal & carry as well.

My ex wife wanted a handgun, we went shopping & she said "I want a glock.... they look cool."

I said " buy your own damn gun then."

Last edited by Dostradamas; 01-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
It's as bad as saying racking the slide on your 12 gauge will scare off a home intruder every time.
Nothing works EVERY time, but from personal experience with a methed up drunk hells angel 1 rack from a 12 gauge is a very effective deterrent in most home defense situations (he decided it was time to leave with no need to fire off a round.)

Sig P229 40 S&W - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sig TBex Testing 1 2 3 0 01-30-2009 03:41 PM
sig TOYUTAH Testing 1 2 3 1 01-07-2008 11:17 PM
Sig Help jebs Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 08-10-2007 03:55 PM
Sig help! please. Skratch Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 09-01-2004 03:59 PM