RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Time Capsule '67 Corvette: Under 3K miles (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/425654-time-capsule-67-corvette-under-3k-miles.html)

microgoat 01-29-2013 03:41 AM

Time Capsule '67 Corvette: Under 3K miles

:shock:

1967 CORVETTE –

gregrocks90046 01-29-2013 07:38 AM

Re: Time Capsule '67 Corvette: Under 3K miles

A couple things strike me as being odd. The aftermarket Offy valve covers, all the extra emblems on the air cleaner. Honestly, some of those chassis/engine shots from underneath sure look like a lot more than 3000 miles. Just my two cents.

reddevildemo 01-29-2013 07:40 AM

WOW, that is one heck of a time capsule for sure.

dunerinaz 01-29-2013 09:00 AM

I saw on TV this weekend a '62 corvette in a museum that has never even been started. It's 100% original down to the factory bolts and never had gas put in it.

Devil Inc 01-29-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerinaz (Post 4150722)
I saw on TV this weekend a '62 corvette in a museum that has never even been started. It's 100% original down to the factory bolts and never had gas put in it.

I seen that too, it was purchased as a kit. Did you see the bit about the GM based "semi-hemi" engine? I'd love to make a trip to that museum.

microgoat 01-29-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregrocks90046 (Post 4150598)
A couple things strike me as being odd. The aftermarket Offy valve covers, all the extra emblems on the air cleaner. Honestly, some of those chassis/engine shots from underneath sure look like a lot more than 3000 miles. Just my two cents.

If you read way down the page, the owner just loved it so much he didn't want to put more than 3000 miles on it. Dunno what's so special about 3000. I guess instead of driving it, he spent his time ogling it and gluing shit to the air cleaner. There's also a Cobra Jet emblem on the glove box door.

I just can't imagine getting any satisfaction out of letting that sit in the garage. I'd hoon the wheels off it, all day every day.

STANG KILLA SS 01-29-2013 01:19 PM

i also thought the chassis/drivetrain shots look a bit more used than 3000 miles. but i suppose 40+ years of condisation/heat cycles sitting in a garage is gonna put some patina on it.

gregrocks90046 01-29-2013 02:11 PM

Keep in mind as you read this, I would LOVE to have this car in my garage. But in my opinion, there is just something that isn't right with this. You know the old saying, If its too good to be true...

There is oil residue all over the engine, oil pan beat up, brake calipers missing paint, the aftermarket valve covers, the goofy excess of emblems stuck everywhere, plenty of grime. And finally, the story about the original owner. It reads like its trying too hard. More than just 3000 mile patina in my opinion. My daily driver truck with four times the mileage still looks new underneath. I repeat, I'd love to own this car!

hbj069 01-29-2013 02:56 PM

kicker for me is the extra orange paint on the exhaust manifolds where the bolts go through, rattle can paint on the oil pan (thin coat) orange over spray on the spindles. I have restored several of these and owned a few. Dont think the miles add up to the repairs, BUT for a freebie they can put it in my garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ecoli 01-29-2013 03:35 PM

Few other things don't add up:

1. Tires look like they have their share of wear and tear on them, including the spare. Not dry rot either.

2. Jacket on the seat that has never been moved? That sure doesn't look like a 1967 jacket to me.

3. Only 8 people had seen it before February 2012? Guess he only drove it around in the middle of the night when nobody else was out.

4. Not washed, cleaned, sat in or touched since found. Sure looks like those guys are touching it while loading it in the back of the truck. Pretty sure they'd take some time to polish it up before the show.

Not that the last few points take away from the potential authenticity, but it seems like they're trying to make a good thing sound even better. Who's to say the guy didn't put on 103000 miles since the odometer only goes up to 99,999 :mrgreen:

It's a nice car, but a waste to sit and not be driven. I guess everyone needs a collection.

gregrocks90046 01-29-2013 04:20 PM

They do say the jacket is from the 80's.....

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE 1967 AIR THAT'S IN THE TIRES?

kikcaffine 01-29-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microgoat (Post 4151177)
If you read way down the page, the owner just loved it so much he didn't want to put more than 3000 miles on it. Dunno what's so special about 3000. I guess instead of driving it, he spent his time ogling it and gluing shit to the air cleaner. There's also a Cobra Jet emblem on the glove box door.

I just can't imagine getting any satisfaction out of letting that sit in the garage. I'd hoon the wheels off it, all day every day.

Every day I drive my c5 I drive the hell out of it spinning wheels and riding out gears and revving it when little kids are looking. The kind of stuff I would have enjoyed when I was a kid.

opek 01-29-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoli (Post 4151411)
Few other things don't add up:

1. Tires look like they have their share of wear and tear on them, including the spare. Not dry rot either.

2. Jacket on the seat that has never been moved? That sure doesn't look like a 1967 jacket to me.

3. Only 8 people had seen it before February 2012? Guess he only drove it around in the middle of the night when nobody else was out.

4. Not washed, cleaned, sat in or touched since found. Sure looks like those guys are touching it while loading it in the back of the truck. Pretty sure they'd take some time to polish it up before the show.

Not that the last few points take away from the potential authenticity, but it seems like they're trying to make a good thing sound even better. Who's to say the guy didn't put on 103000 miles since the odometer only goes up to 99,999 :mrgreen:

It's a nice car, but a waste to sit and not be driven. I guess everyone needs a collection.

The spare that still has the paint on the tread? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

http://www.vintagecorvettes.com/grap...1/IMG_4354.JPG

chino63 01-30-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregrocks90046 (Post 4151483)
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE 1967 AIR THAT'S IN THE TIRES?

I'm pretty sure it smells like cigarettes.

I agree it looks like more than 3k miles on it by looking at the underside pics. Who knows though, like Stang said, all the time, heat cycles and humidity can do alot to the under carriage of the car. I bought my '63 Impala wagon with 61k original miles. It sat in the back of a dealership for 20+ years and was crazy clean underneath when I got it.

Beautiful car none the less.

EddieO 01-30-2013 12:43 AM

A friend of my dads, who is a big corvette guy has viewed the car....its legit. The original owner was a real weirdo....but the car is what they claim. Whats not shown is the 100s of pics they got from the estate. Some stuff is poorly worded about it, but its not meant to decieve......

The motor looks normal for low miles and 45 years old. I've seen stuff with lower mileage look worse....Harold Lemay had a 67 Mustang in his collection with less than 2000 miles on it and the engine looked worse than that.

Later EddieO

gregrocks90046 01-30-2013 07:30 AM

If the original owner was a 'real weirdo', that could explain the extra emblems and lack of mileage. And whoever wrote up the article, I'm sure their intent was good. It just comes off as a real hard sell for the story. Whoever owned the car, celebrity or not, their amount of patriotism, etc. makes zero difference to me.

WHITE-TRASH 01-30-2013 05:53 PM

If I had the money to buy it the next 4 miles put on the odometer would be with the tires boiling smoke.

badhoopty 01-30-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikcaffine (Post 4151788)
Every day I drive my c5 I drive the hell out of it spinning wheels and riding out gears and revving it when little kids are looking. The kind of stuff I would have enjoyed when I was a kid.

i throw a rev at kids now and then too. "thumbsup"