Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Nitro Crawlers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 01:56 AM   #1

Default Nitro Crawlers?

Hey im new to the forums but not to the sport. I was curious if anyone has any successful nitro running rock crawlers. I know that they are more inconsistent as a electrically powered truck but they are a bit lighter, and they can get a bunch of torque out of them. Let me know what you guys think about the idea. Thanx Mike

Last edited by TwistedXT; 08-31-2006 at 03:37 PM.
fastkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

oh boy... you said the "N" word! For your sake, DELETE THIS THREAD!

Do a search for "nitro" and see what comes up...

You not only used the "N" word, but you don't know how to use the search button. Better get your fireproof UnderRoos on...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkid
I know that they are more inconsistent as a electrically powered truck but they are a bit lighter, and they can get a bunch of torque out of them.
Thats not right. The weight is probably about the same, but with a full tank, I'd say the Nitro is probably heavier. Also, electric motors make pretty much the same amount of torque through the whole RPM range, where nitro engines make their torque at high rpm (not good for crawling). Search around some and you'll find a lot of threads about this. This question gets asked about once a week!

If you're looking for a base for a crawler project, I'd suggest a TLT.
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:51 AM   #4

I have used the search button.. im not blind i can see it up there. but it seems like some of you dont give it a chance.. get a 4stroke motor if you want torque at lower rpm's... i got plenty of sources and skills to build anything i need for a nitro crawler, i think im gonna give it a shot.. there just as capable as an electric, they can be more convenant at times but im gonna stick with nitro. you guys can be seein my build up here shortly
Old 08-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #5

Anyone got any expierences with the nitro setup... any tips or hints, besides like "dont do it" or "waste of time & money"?? i heard some ppl talking about them but they like electric cuz it was easyier... i think with the right setup a nitro crawler can do just as good or even better.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Your biggest problem will be keeping it cool, your second problem is the clutch will smoke. Another problem is your CG will be a mile high.
If you think it's so bad *** take it to a comp and get your *** handed to you.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:57 AM   #7

they sell cooling fans... there is steel heli clutchs and with a 4stroke they wont heat up much with the lower rpm's and the 4stroke arnt very tall, ill be building a custom tube chassis and have the motor sit low in the front of the truck... with those problems settled the only thing i have to worry about is "getting my *** handed to me" at a comp... as for the tube frame the basic layout should look kinda like this... and instead of of person driving in the cockpit a 4stroke engine will be in its place at the front of the rig... keepin cog pretty good for the vertical climbs
Old 08-31-2006, 06:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Like Cole82 said take it to a comp , i own nitrous cars and trucks, i have friend with savages and revos that have tried to make crawlers out of them i have seen them fail!! i'am not saying it's impossible if you can do it or have done it, by all means take it to a comp
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #9

yeah tru..., I understand the concept fine and i know it wont be the easiest thing to do since ill be going in with my eyes closed being as that noone has made a successful nitro crawler yet... but with a proper chassis setup for the bigger engine(compared to little motors) and also keeping it alive.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

like i said i own an love my nitrous, i encourage you to try if you are succesful others will follow
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 AM   #11

thanks for the words of encouragement i got a program im gonna start designing the tube frame with... keep you guys informed.. feel free to leave info
Old 08-31-2006, 07:50 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

If i were to run nitro, I would design a manual clutch and custom tranny. I discussed this in another thread a long while back, I believe it was for an x factor but i don't remember whos.

The basic idea of the clutch set up was using an rc diff with a brake attached to it. Power would enter one of the outdrives and the tranny would be attached to the other. When the brake is applied the housing would begin to slow and stop rotating forcing power to the tranny outdrive.

make any sense?

You should work out you driveline before you start a tube chassis.
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #13
2006 2.2 National Champ

You will be very dissappointed with the performance of a nitro crawler. A properly built electric crawler will NEVER be beat by a nitro crawler, period. You're not the first to say you can make it work, nor will you be the first to say "You guys were right."
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #14
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
You will be very dissappointed with the performance of a nitro crawler. A properly built electric crawler will NEVER be beat by a nitro crawler, period. You're not the first to say you can make it work, nor will you be the first to say "You guys were right."
What he said.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks for the words of encouragement i got a program im gonna start designing the tube frame with... keep you guys informed.. feel free to leave info
Here's some info, just type in the regular font, that other crap earlier in the thread is a pain in the arse to read.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:41 PM   #16

i was going inbetween post reply and quick reply on accident thats the deal with the fonts.. and as for the tranny it does make since, a setup like that would be pretty difficult to make, i got an idea in mind tho...with everything properly setup a nitro crawler will perform as good as a electric...
Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i was going inbetween post reply and quick reply on accident thats the deal with the fonts.. and as for the tranny it does make since, a setup like that would be pretty difficult to make, i got an idea in mind tho...with everything properly setup a nitro crawler will perform as good as a electric...
That's your theory, looking forward to seeing it actually put in action.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #18
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I converted my Revo into a Nitro recently and built it up as a crawler (put better tires on it) and it is killer. I can hit an rock obsticle at 20 and it goes right over it.

I say build away! Nitro's RULE!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

if you can do it man more power to ya but K B is a total dick love you K B!

...but yea jus ignore him lol! If you could make a worm gear set up so that the high rpms would be turned into a slower more torque setup you may be onto something... keep us informed man!
RockRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #20

well im gonna be building one here shortly as soon as a get my tmaxx back from medford..., i understand what all you guys are saying but right now the only downside to nitro in the tranny/clutch issue, i can build a custom tranny and eventually i will get a good enough setup threw testing. what is soo special about electric, id like to know why there so much better then a nitro