Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1:1 Exhaust Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1:1 Exhaust Question

The last few weeks I have been shopping around for a better exhaust system for my 2000 XJ. I've been looking at single exhaust cat back systems, but everywhere I go wants me to go dual exhaust. Is there really an advantage between a good single exhaust and a good duel exhaust. Im still running with a stock 4.0 with a throttle boddy and filter upgrade. The question. Is it worth it to go dual exhaust, or should I just go for a single exhaust?
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I wouldnt even consider dual exhuast. Get a bolt on cat-back system, it will work better as well as fit better.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thee 4.0s do not push enough air to warrant a dual setup.
All of the major brand catbacks are decent, but let me tell you what your best bet is in my opinion.

Pick your self up a good high flow muffler like a magnaflow or flow master, a decent highflow cat and head to the local exhaust shop and have them make you a custom 2.5 inch single exhaust from the exhaust manifold back. If it's a good shop they can route it to give you good clearance. That is all you really need on a 4.0.

I have tried just about every cat back and dual set up on various 4.0 jeeps and the 2.5 inch high flow muffler and cat has been the best.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, thats what I figured. I know enough to fix the problem and how to get basic performance boosts in my XJ but in no way am I a genious when it comes to boosting my power.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

remember one thing
loss in backpressure=loss in torque. keep that in mind
doesnt really affect you, as your gonna be running cats, and a muffler that still has restriction, but u get into bigger systems, duals, 3" pipe, no cats, and bullet mufflers is when u really notice it.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah Stang, thats what I thought. I dont understand why all the exhaust places are pushing dual exhaust. I could understand if I had a V8, but I didnt think it would work as well on a I6. Maybe drop a V8 in it.. bah. If I was going that route I would go cummins diesel!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Also, if you wheel it then a dual exhaust doubles the chance of crushing a pipe.
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I wheel on occoasion but not all the time. Its my daily driver, if I roll it or break it too badly I'm screwed.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Your motor is to small to notice any change in performances . I run duals on my truck , headers on back but I run a big block.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbeater
Your motor is to small to notice any change in performances . I run duals on my truck , headers on back but I run a big block.
You would be suprised what simple changes will pull more power from that motor. I could notice the difference with the throttle body. I'm not looking for a 300hp 4.0, but making 200+ again on that tired motor would be nice.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #11

in my opinion the dual exhaust is just for looks if you dont have a v8. in the shop ive seen some real nice vehicles with different kinds of exhaust systems on them. we have a dyno and we use it occasionally . but for a v6 you prob wont notice any difference from dual cat back to just plain old cat back. ive got a ford ranger 4.0 v6 in it and just put flowmaster mufflers on it and chopped the cat off (for everyday driveing that was stupid on my part i get less gas mileage) so ill prob end up putting one back on. well hope i helped out a lil bit cyadave
davidcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

My dad runs the Borla Cat-back on his 98 Grand with the I6. It seemd to run real good. Oh and his getting 22mpg on the highway with 33in tires.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #13
RCC Addict

If the exhaust Y's after the Cat, its not true dual anyway. Its personal preference on looks, as well as some sound. I don't know what the stock exhaust diameter is, but I wouldn't go lower than 2.5" with a 4.0.

Do you want something loud?

I have an SLP dual exhaust CAT Back system on my car and love it. Its not a true dual exhaust system, but it came from the factory with dual exhaust from the cat back. I just upgraded what it had.

My system removed the resonator thats right after the CAT, if theres one on urs or not, i dont know. The combination of the removal of the resonator, larger piping, and different muffler have given me more power in the high rpm's and the sound is awesome. Loud as heck.

However, it drones badly and can give you a headache on long trips.

Thats the price you pay for an exhaust system.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I dont want loud, but I want a pleasent tone. I think I've decided on the Borla system someone else mentioned