RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Bend Tech software (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/445430-bend-tech-software.html)

losikid 05-19-2013 10:12 PM

Bend Tech software

Does anyone use it?

Bend-Tech Products

I'm going to be building a cage for my mj either this summer or next summer. (Depends how much time and money i have left after i get all the critical stuff done to it)...and there's 4 other jeeps that needs a good cage built and i'm guessing that'll be this winters project for afew of them.

So, i'm thinking some software may be a good investment so we don't waste aton of dom with bad bends.

We have a pipe bender that looks something like this, i'm not sure exactly what brand/model it is....but so far all its/we've done is coilover hoops, stingers, and other misc stuff....Biggest i think we can bend with it is 1.75" 120 wall DOM

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCF0004-5.jpg

GRIMGREG 05-20-2013 07:35 AM

Re: Bend Tech software

I used it a couple times, but usually had better results using a tape measure, marker and eyeball.

Calderwood 05-20-2013 07:55 AM

Disclaimer: I built nhra chassis for a while but I have never directly used bendtech although I do have some cad experience.

I really don't think it makes sense to draw a cage unless you are planning to mass produce them. Chances are that unless you spend a LOT of time in front of the computer then your first drawing won't fit quite right and you will want to make revisions. Cad software is great if you want to invest the time into it with the intention of making identical production pieces. If I am just building one cage then I'll attack it with a tape measure, a digital angle finder, and a couple pieces of tig rod so that I can rough out a bend without bending tube.

losikid 05-20-2013 12:26 PM

Well, i'm not really sure what i want yet cage wise and it'll let me tinker and see how stuff will look.

But, the main purpose of it is to get the bends correct because it tells you exactly how to position that pipe in the bender to make it come out right....Having to bend up 5+ cages in the next few years i'm sure it'll pay for itself in wasted pipe.

I'm also pretty proficient with cad software...i've got experience with AutoCad, Inventor, SolidWorks, FeatureCam, and a couple circuit board cad programs. So i'm not worried about the learning curve, i'm just wondering if it is actually useful for making the bend correct the first time (From the few misc things we've done we usually have to throw it in the bender afew times to get them right....and have had to scrap some stuff before)

i'm not too worried about the modeling because i have solidworks and i know it can model cages (I haven't tried to figure out how yet though).... i just think it'll save time and money when bending the cage, it be awesome to have it all on the computer; bend a piece then tack it on vs having to figure out how you think you want the pipe, try and get the bend right in the bender, test fit, throw it back in the bender, test fit....etc.

Calderwood 05-20-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 4329331)
Well, i'm not really sure what i want yet cage wise and it'll let me tinker and see how stuff will look.

But, the main purpose of it is to get the bends correct because it tells you exactly how to position that pipe in the bender to make it come out right....Having to bend up 5+ cages in the next few years i'm sure it'll pay for itself in wasted pipe.

I'm also pretty proficient with cad software...i've got experience with AutoCad, Inventor, SolidWorks, FeatureCam, and a couple circuit board cad programs. So i'm not worried about the learning curve, i'm just wondering if it is actually useful for making the bend correct the first time (From the few misc things we've done we usually have to throw it in the bender afew times to get them right....and have had to scrap some stuff before)

i'm not too worried about the modeling because i have solidworks and i know it can model cages (I haven't tried to figure out how yet though).... i just think it'll save time and money when bending the cage, it be awesome to have it all on the computer; bend a piece then tack it on vs having to figure out how you think you want the pipe, try and get the bend right in the bender, test fit, throw it back in the bender, test fit....etc.

Have you ever used tig rod bent on your die to see if your bend is right before bending your tube? It works really well at giving you a visual of the inside radius of the tube.

crash 05-20-2013 01:29 PM

No--all my bending is from inside my head....

Also don't confused between pipe and tube---2 different materials.

losikid 05-20-2013 01:38 PM

No, i don't even think theres any tig rod in the garage, if there is i don't know where its at. We just use a mig for everything (Have a Hobart ironman).

And, we have scrap/junked pieces for looking at the radius....its just getting the bends in the right place and accounting for the spring back correctly (and not over bending the tube). I think this software will help make the bends correct the first time and save alot of wasted tube, but i'm looking to see if anyone can confirm it.

losikid 05-20-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 4329436)
No--all my bending is from inside my head....

Also don't confused between pipe and tube---2 different materials.

There's alot more than just 2 different materials...but i guess the correct term would be tube, but i interchange them the same way i interchange motor and engine.

Edit: Tube vs Pipe isn't material difference, its a manufacturing difference. Tube is made with tighter tolerances than pipe, usually pipe is simply to transport something (like water) and tube is for structural applications

GRIMGREG 05-20-2013 01:49 PM

I do remember one time it failed us, we were bending a simple hoop roll bar for a truggy. The owner wanted it to run from one slider to the other and be just proud of the cab. We plugged all the measurements in, then bent the tube according to the program. it came out 6" to wide.

It all worked out though, we just added 2 more bends about a foot above the sliders to kick the legs back in.

losikid 05-20-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIMGREG (Post 4329456)
I do remember one time it failed us, we were bending a simple hoop roll bar for a truggy. The owner wanted it to run from one slider to the other and be just proud of the cab. We plugged all the measurements in, then bent the tube according to the program. it came out 6" to wide.

It all worked out though, we just added 2 more bends about a foot above the sliders to kick the legs back in.

Thats interesting...
Did you double check the dims entered into the program?

crash 05-20-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 4329450)
There's alot more than just 2 different materials...but i guess the correct term would be tube, but i interchange them the same way i interchange motor and engine.

Edit: Tube vs Pipe isn't material difference, its a manufacturing difference. Tube is made with tighter tolerances than pipe, usually pipe is simply to transport something (like water) and tube is for structural applications

True but tube is measured OD and pipe in ID. And there are 3 common used tube materials used (DOM,HREW, and Chromo).

I can tell you (by running thousands of feet of tube thru my bender) is they may say they use the same material to make DOM/HREW but the end result is different between the 2. ANother thing is the spring back is different from not only material but also the wall thickness and each tool is a little different.

Calderwood 05-20-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 4329450)

Not quite but your close. A500 is structural pipe. The Main difference between tube and pipe are as follows, tube is measured by its od while pipe is not. (1.5" pipe has no measurement of 1.5" while 1.5" tube has an od of 1.5") Second, pipe is designated by schedule which tells how much internal pressure it is rated for while tube is not designated in such a manner.

Calderwood 05-20-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 4329483)
pipe in ID.

You are misinformed.

crash 05-20-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigels_world (Post 4329504)
You are misinformed.

Yes/no.

I understand the wall thickness plays a part in OD but all the stuff I use (off-road) is based off ID (where I understand the industry has changed over to OD). Plus all your fittings/couplers are based off OD of whatever material you are using.

Personally I could care less about PIPE as 99% of what I use is tube.

Calderwood 05-20-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 4329536)
Yes/no.

I understand the wall thickness plays a part in OD but all the stuff I use (off-road) is based off ID (where I understand the industry has changed over to OD). Plus all your fittings/couplers are based off OD of whatever material you are using.

Personally I could care less about PIPE as 99% of what I use is tube.

I'm sorry but there is no yes about it.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...eDiameters.jpg

crash 05-20-2013 03:48 PM

Thats ok you go ahead and argu about poop pipe--got tube to bend to get another rig out of the shop...."thumbsup"

Calderwood 05-20-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 4329622)
Thats ok you go ahead and argu about poop pipe--got tube to bend to get another rig out of the shop...."thumbsup"

I wasn't trying to argue, only inform. I used to think it was measured by ID as well.

GRIMGREG 05-20-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 4329462)
Thats interesting...
Did you double check the dims entered into the program?

Yep, and the bend point dimensions it spat out (I'm a carpenter, measure twice cut once you know).

As for the pipe thing, anyone ever see the aftermath of a pipe cage failure?

losikid 05-20-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIMGREG (Post 4330179)
Yep, and the bend point dimensions it spat out (I'm a carpenter, measure twice cut once you know).

As for the pipe thing, anyone ever see the aftermath of a pipe cage failure?

I had a dune buggy built out of pipe :shock: (it was scrapped out of a remodel). That thing weighed a ton and it was far from rigid. But it held together. On the sides there were like sliders so if you got to close to a rock or tree it slide the buggy over so the rear tire didn't hit it straight on (the rear was like 2 ft wider than the front). I pulled the cutting brake a wee bit too long going around this corner at like 30-40mph and slammed into a massive boulder really hard (if the harnesses weren't on we probably would've went to the hospital). And i actually think the pipe made it a softer hit, as it bent in the pipe like a foot (till it touched the main chassis). Also, when i launched it afew feet in the air or if you watch it (as a spectator) in the whoops the whole front end would act like a spring, lots of flex/deflection...kinda scary, i was always afraid that one day the front end would just snap off.

losikid 05-20-2013 11:41 PM

Here's that dune buggy, all built out of scrapped pipe like 18 years ago....or so i was told.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...o/100_1163.JPG