Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Time for a new car for me... What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Time for a new car for me... What would you do?

Ok so I'm almost in the financial position to get a brand new car and I cant decide on what I want more. To put things into perspective this will be the first time I will be able to afford to get a brand new car that I want without having to sacrifice options I want but cant afford. I also normally don't consider brand new car for the deprecation the second you buy it.
I have managed to narrow the list of cars I want to 3-4 cars and thats where I'm stuck. 2 of them are brand new but i would consider a used model. and the other 2 would have to be used partially due to the price and 1 of them isnt available new anymore.

also if it makes any difference to anyone my current car is a 2002 wrx that I plan on turning into a project car. I recently had a new built 2.5 with forged pistons rods race bearings and arp bolts all around put in so its begging for more power.

Heres the list, its a bit weird I'll admit but they are all cars i like

new
Ford Mustang GT in gotta have it green(its the only color i gotta have it in lol) possibly with a roush RS2 kit. i would consider a used Boss but only in gotta have it green
Ford Raptor 4 door, no color preference except i wouldnt get silver. idk if its available in silver but its not an option for me. would also consider a used model as long as it is the 6.2 4 door. this one has got me twisted because I plan on building a 1:1 of my TF2 and if I bought a raptor there would be almost no way i would build a yota.

used
Lexus IS-F same as the raptor no silver, I am a bit partial to this one because I previously had a Lexus IS300 manual that I loved and miss allot.

lastly and this one only fits if I can find it at an acceptable price.
Nissan GTR I would prefer black for this one because of the nickname of the skyline gtr is black bird, but anything other than silver would work.

I'm not asking anyone to decide for me. I plan on deciding for myself, its half the fun of getting a new car. But i'm curious what you would do if you were me choosing one of these 4 cars, and what would be your car or cars of choice under $55k
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

Default Re: Time for a new car for me... What would you do?

Quite the range in prices there, $30,000 mustang, $60,000 raptor, $40,000 lexus, $90,000 GTR.

Hell if you can afford the $90,000 GTR, you might as well get the $30,000 mustang and the $60,000 Raptor.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I can't afford 90k but i have seen a few used GTR's under $60k and right now I'm not going to get excited about the idea of the GTR unless i find one at around $55k.
the mustang with the roush RS2 kit would come in at about $40k I would consider the RS3 but I dont like the type of supercharger roush uses.
Though I wish I could afford both the mustang and the raptor. Also if I bought the raptor though my bank I could possibly get it as low as $45k
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i say get the raptor cause then you can also use it to tow your wrx to the track or shows or what not,,
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
i say get the raptor cause then you can also use it to tow your wrx to the track or shows or what not,,
I was thinking that too. Its one of the few practical uses for a raptor, when you consider how shit the fuel mileage on it is. But even the shitty mileage on it doesnt outweigh the pure awesomeness.

my main drawback with the raptor is that I'm not really a daily truck driving kind of guy. I really like fast cars. But then I have the WRX which will be getting allot faster as soon as I get a second car and can put it under construction for a while.

I'm not going to be ready to buy for a few months so I have time to weigh all or the pros and cons.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

All good choices. But, f I were you, and I know this may be blasphemy to a WRX owner, but I'd go with a Evo X.

Of those four however...if you can, I'd definitely go with the GT-R. I am quite partial to Mustangs, and the new GT's aren't bad in the power dept. stock. Raptors are sick trucks, but since you said you're not a DD truck kind of guy, that should be your last option. IS-F is a nice car too, can't say much about specifics as I haven't read up on it much.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I love the Evo X its not in my top 4 mostly because of the price new and used. I feel like you can get more for your money with other cars. I would love to have the GTR and it is pretty much at the top of my list right now the only thing holding it back is the cost. if i can find one around $55k or lower it probably wont be a question which one i get.
The IS-F is a hellofa car its got a v8 and 8speed with paddle shifters. its got around 400ish HP if i remember right, and it drives as smooth as you would imagine a lexus would with a nice sporty suspension. I havent been able to test drive the mustang yet but I would imagine the IS-F is just slightly slower than the stock GT. though i could be way off on that. From what I hear the new GT is very fast.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
20K Club

If you really get a GT-R are you going to want to do anything to the WRX?

Get the Lexus as a fast-ish, luxury, semi-practical car. That way you will have a couple choices that are very different from each other. Or get the Raptor for similar reasons.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Golf R....good everyday driver....All wheel drive...sporty...

Or the BMW 135I

Last edited by jeepster73; 06-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I agree with whats been said already about the Raptor. It can tow, you can haul a gang of bitches and tow the wrx or go offroading. Raptor would be my choice
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe$ View Post
Ok so I'm almost in the financial position to get a brand new car and I cant decide on what I want more. To put things into perspective this will be the first time I will be able to afford to get a brand new car that I want without having to sacrifice options I want but cant afford. I also normally don't consider brand new car for the deprecation the second you buy it.
I have managed to narrow the list of cars I want to 3-4 cars and thats where I'm stuck. 2 of them are brand new but i would consider a used model. and the other 2 would have to be used partially due to the price and 1 of them isnt available new anymore.

also if it makes any difference to anyone my current car is a 2002 wrx that I plan on turning into a project car. I recently had a new built 2.5 with forged pistons rods race bearings and arp bolts all around put in so its begging for more power.

Heres the list, its a bit weird I'll admit but they are all cars i like

new
Ford Mustang GT in gotta have it green(its the only color i gotta have it in lol) possibly with a roush RS2 kit. i would consider a used Boss but only in gotta have it green
Ford Raptor 4 door, no color preference except i wouldnt get silver. idk if its available in silver but its not an option for me. would also consider a used model as long as it is the 6.2 4 door. this one has got me twisted because I plan on building a 1:1 of my TF2 and if I bought a raptor there would be almost no way i would build a yota.

used
Lexus IS-F same as the raptor no silver, I am a bit partial to this one because I previously had a Lexus IS300 manual that I loved and miss allot.

lastly and this one only fits if I can find it at an acceptable price.
Nissan GTR I would prefer black for this one because of the nickname of the skyline gtr is black bird, but anything other than silver would work.

I'm not asking anyone to decide for me. I plan on deciding for myself, its half the fun of getting a new car. But i'm curious what you would do if you were me choosing one of these 4 cars, and what would be your car or cars of choice under $55k
personally Id never get a domestic car, funny you mention the GTR, I want one soooo bad, lol..
If you have a family, out of what you listed Id go with the IS-F its bigger than the GTR, either way, for me, it would be a tough, but the GTR would be in my garage
4x4Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
RCC Addict

All great cars, hard decision of course... Me in my everyday life I would choose the raptor incase I wanna haul anything or load up the coolers etc etc ( from the south) but currently live in TN

BUT... All the other cars are deff bad a$$
Props to whatever you decided, I doubt you will be disappointed with any of them, just depends on what you plan to do...

Good luck with your choices and lets see pics when u finally make the deal!!
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I vote for the Raptor like others have said, but go Eco boost, better mpg lighter weight, and tough as nails with just as much power, or more(if you turn up the boost)
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Get the Shelby Raptor

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/images/pdf/2013raptor.pdf

losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Not on list but I say 2013 Jeep SRT8. Had a 07 go rid of it and miss it. Just waiting til I can get another one.
KauseKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

IS-F! That thing is sexy!
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

a GT-R? not real sure if the wife would approve. the kids would love it though. mustangs are kind of standard issue. lexus IF-S, its nice. ford raptors dont tow as much as you think. in my opinion, for 55k, you could get a scion FR-S with all the goodies and still have money left over. plus you will get good mileage. foreign cars are always super reliable and sadly, usually better than domestic.

desertmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
no talent hack

The first few years of the gtr use a GPS system that prevents them from going fast anywhere but a racetrack. Those are probably the ones under 60k, because no one really wants a car that is constantly being followed by the manufacture.
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
RCC Addict

You should buy this:

Steve McQueen 1969 Chevy Race Truck | Off Road Action
Then build a perfect scale replica!
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
If you really get a GT-R are you going to want to do anything to the WRX?

Get the Lexus as a fast-ish, luxury, semi-practical car. That way you will have a couple choices that are very different from each other. Or get the Raptor for similar reasons.
your right with a gtr the wrx would be very pale in comparison. i have considered this though and it would end up not getting upgraded and it would being the family winter beater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster73 View Post
Golf R....good everyday driver....All wheel drive...sporty...

Or the BMW 135I
i like both of those cars. bwm is my style but i love the power of the -35i engine. its smoking fast, and the golf isnt really my style either. i'm not a fan of how they look, superficial i know but its most likely the car i'll drive every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Ric View Post
personally Id never get a domestic car, funny you mention the GTR, I want one soooo bad, lol..
If you have a family, out of what you listed Id go with the IS-F its bigger than the GTR, either way, for me, it would be a tough, but the GTR would be in my garage
normally i dont consider domestic but i like the direction ford has been heading in the eco boost engines are sweet and ford is the only domestic brand i would consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauseKaos View Post
Not on list but I say 2013 Jeep SRT8. Had a 07 go rid of it and miss it. Just waiting til I can get another one.
agreed the jeep srt8 is sweet and sexy but if i get a 4x4 thtas new or new used its going to have to be a truck for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanuel01 View Post
IS-F! That thing is sexy!
yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmaxx View Post
a GT-R? not real sure if the wife would approve. the kids would love it though. mustangs are kind of standard issue. lexus IF-S, its nice. ford raptors dont tow as much as you think. in my opinion, for 55k, you could get a scion FR-S with all the goodies and still have money left over. plus you will get good mileage. foreign cars are always super reliable and sadly, usually better than domestic.

my wife would she is awesome like that. i have considered the subaru BRZ which is mostly the same car. but like other cars that are not on my final 4 i feel like you can get more for you money with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil View Post
The first few years of the gtr use a GPS system that prevents them from going fast anywhere but a racetrack. Those are probably the ones under 60k, because no one really wants a car that is constantly being followed by the manufacture.
i heard about this. but it doesnt bother me to much. i spent 6 years in germany in the army and pretty much got my fill of fast driving. i had a mildly tuned IS300 while i was there and lived in a place where i could take the autobahn at about 150mph everyday on the to work and home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
You should buy this:

Steve McQueen 1969 Chevy Race Truck | Off Road Action
Then build a perfect scale replica!
thats a nice rig and if i dont buy the raptor i plan on building an offroad project vehicle

Time for a new car for me... What would you do? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wohoo New Old Car Time Tupers Chit Chat 68 02-16-2013 06:17 PM
Muscle Car Time ceedawwg Paint and Body 22 02-03-2013 09:46 PM
Project car/truck time PEDEcrawlerguy Chit Chat 18 12-29-2012 08:12 PM
Slot car time cartronicshn Chit Chat 11 07-20-2010 02:32 PM
Good first time RTR Drift car? Moondust1950 Non Crawler RC's 13 01-24-2008 01:55 PM