Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: So, should i finish the 7?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default So, should i finish the RX-7?

Well, i quit my FB(1985 RX-7) project,summer before last , didnt even touch it this summer, and, well, it has been growing on me. And, im just feining to see it in World rally blue pearl as planned with my pana's. Gah, im just not sure if i wanna complete it. I dont have a whole lot left to do, interior, some more body work on the roof, and paint. Hopefully a manual trans(anybody know the avg cost of one? install time with tons of experiance and a nice car lift and stuff?) I had a lot of fun and bloodshed working on it, and just miss working on it, and, i say it's about time to finish it, what do you guys think? Heres some pix of it from start to as it sits now:

^as it sits now, yes the rear wheels are on the front because i need spacers.

^color choice, on a cover.

It's my first car, but now im driving a mint 1983 Nissan Datsun King Cab. Lemme know what you guys think. And the avg cost for a manual trans. I also wouldnt mind something to drift along with my freinds on occasion, enter it in shows, that sorta thing, but, still be a DD. I might even turbo it just to have a bit more kick, but, with gas prices(although they are going down) i might not, and just port it, and have some exhaust work done, some suspension(first) done. I'm not sure, got a good amount of ideas flowing though the head. Also anyone know the avg price of a a/c pump? I dont really need it, im used to this texas weather with no a/c in my truck. But, i wouldnt mind it for when i take my girl out.

Thanks Guys and Gals,
Brad
Link to the album for you interested folk:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...AE86/My%20Car/

Last edited by Mello_Yello; 09-28-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Mello_Yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

dude ide turbo it no matter what

a turbo is way more eficent thena normally asperated engine becasue they take what wasent burned off the in the cubostion and shotts it right back in
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu_by_rc

a turbo is way more eficent thena normally asperated engine becasue they take what wasent burned off the in the cubostion and shotts it right back in
turbo would drop my gas to like 10mpg(not eff. and take a shizload of work, blowthrough carb, fab moding of a 13b manifold, turbo, etc(there are no turbo kits for these thing you know?). Too much work. I'd rather to a major bridgeport, good exhaust work dont, better carb(stock is a four barell though) maybe some other things. I mainly want more than the stock 98hp, it is a light car(weighing at only 2350lbs) and a good bit of handling capabilities, my chassis is pretty stiff as it is with a 7point(iirc) roll cage bar thing. Weight ratio is 50/50, ive got Panasport Ultralites and khumo ecsta's. I know of a bunch of homemade mods to help cooling, ie: raising the hood latches a tad(maybe an inch) just noticed this, my girl is from modesto.

Last edited by Mello_Yello; 09-28-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't waste my money on that thing.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
I wouldn't waste my money on that thing.
You sir can go choke on a big fat coc. You will die soon, and, soon , t3h rx7 club will know of you, hunt you down, and beat you down with spare rotors. Also the will slice you with fubar'd apex seals.

Last edited by Mello_Yello; 09-28-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

turbo NO!!!!

bridge port it and stick a holly dbl 800 on there and call it a day....its a pain to get a carbed 7 to run worth a $hit and even more of a pain to get a turboed carbed 7 to run worth a $hit.... trust me you will be happy enough with it NA....my 2nd gen is NA and its bridge ported but EFI and i love it esp. when i shift at high rpm's and throw 3foot flames out the exhaust....i also get 3.5 miles to the gallon.. :(

oh btw...always pre mix...4oz. 2cycle per full tank gas...
_Jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jason_
turbo NO!!!!

bridge port it and stick a holly dbl 800 on there and call it a day....its a pain to get a carbed 7 to run worth a $hit and even more of a pain to get a turboed carbed 7 to run worth a $hit.... trust me you will be happy enough with it NA....my 2nd gen is NA and its bridge ported but EFI and i love it esp. when i shift at high rpm's and throw 3foot flames out the exhaust....i also get 3.5 miles to the gallon.. :(

oh btw...always pre mix...4oz. 2cycle per full tank gas...
Yeah, i might premix, but, dont think so. It's actually quit easy to get a carbed 7 running right, mine ran fine. Also, dual webers would be nice.

Last edited by Mello_Yello; 09-28-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:

JEEBUS DUDE!!! At least have a slight clue about what you are talking about before giving ANY advice!!!!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
JEEBUS DUDE!!! At least have a slight clue about what you are talking about before giving ANY advice!!!!!
**** YOU just becasue i dint knnow it was a ****ing rotory that why
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Your right, just thaught about what he said. But, it's okay, some people just dont know, thats why i tried to help hime, now, no flamage going on here, unless some talks trash about the se7en
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Oh, about the 7.........................if me, I would take the silly spoiler off the back, and just leave it as a clean, stock 1st gen RX. The few that I see on the roads these days are junked out, or covered in extra body panel crap.

They are great, fun, quick cars to drive!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh, about the 7.........................if me, I would take the silly spoiler off the back, and just leave it as a clean, stock 1st gen RX. The few that I see on the roads these days are junked out, or covered in extra body panel crap.

They are great, fun, quick cars to drive!!!
Yeah, i sold the spoiler about a ear ago, that was the first thing to come off.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Whatever the fawk that is supposed to mean.

Rotary or round cylinders, turbos work off the same principle ......................which isn't to inject unburned exhaust fuel back into the compression chamber.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Whatever the fawk that is supposed to mean.

Rotary or round cylinders, turbos work off the same principle ......................which isn't to inject unburned exhaust fuel back into the compression chamber.
Thats is true, but, please, no flame war here.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 PM   #15
RCC Addict

dude is that miriah wing on the back of it???
you gotta finish it.
i have 3 starions in the garage that i will finish someday.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:41 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I dont know a lot about them personally but from what I understand turboing one that is NA is a royal pain. I would leave the turbo out of it, most of the other info by _jason_ is about on par with what I would do.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:30 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Where is crawlerman when you need him?? LOL
mr.maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:53 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

You'll never get a substantial amount more power with what's in there now without spending some major coin. If you just want to tune it up and have it running good then keep what you've got.

If you want more power out of the car I'd suggest an LS1 swap. You could throw a bone stock LS1 in that car and have something thats probably way faster than anything you've had before. The weight distribution will not be much different, if any at all. It will give you plenty of power, daily driveability, and with a T56 (6sp tranny in case you didn't know) you could get a minimum of 25mpg+ easy. If you have access to a lift and good mechanical skills it's really not as hard as it might seem. A lot of people are doing them nowadays.

However, if you're one of those Mazda purists and think that putting anything except rotories in is like breaking one of the ten commandments, then build the motor that's in there now.

Just my two Lincolns...
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Kidz these days... Learn everything they know about cars from the Fast and the Furious movies...

Sad... So very very sad.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

the cool thing about the rotorys are when built right you can shift all day long at 11-12k+ RPM....

tell me what other "street" driven car can do that? sure as hell not a ls1...

my built 13b 12,500 all day = BIG flames!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've seen v8 swaps in 1st,2nd and 3rd gens $hit there are 2 ls1 FD's here in tampa but its not the same as the good ole " BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP "

i even have a good friend that swaped a Q45 v8 in his 90 240sx and thats a bad *** car BUT its still not the same as a regular ca,sr or rb swap....
_Jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote