Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Axialfest G6 Trail Rated Rubicon!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Axialfest G6 Trail Rated Rubicon!

Well, I know Bender put one of these box stock rigs through the Rubicon last year to earn it's Trail Rated badge, but I know he didn't put it through what I saw one go through this weekend!
I was planning on ripping through the Rock Riot on Friday morning and working on my G6 rig the rest of the day to get ready for the Stage 1 of G6 which was Friday night. Well, that didn't work out so well when my shafty had a major failure on gate 10 of my third lap (so basically gate 140!). I had a pretty good looking scorecard at that point, so I decided to fix it. I am glad I did, because I ended up posting low score for a shafty, but that's another story.
Unfortunately, that left me in a bind with what to do for a G6'er. That didn't take too long, because I had my son's Wraith sitting next to mine. I know, what kind of dad takes his son's rig from him before his first G6? Truth be told, he is only 7 and I didn't think he would make it past the first few tough obstacles...
Anyway, we ended up taking a walk over to the RPP tent. After a bit of thinking about it we decided to grab a RTR Rubicon. He wanted a red one so bad since the Kit had one on the box, but the G6 rigs were already lined up, so time to get a move on here! I told him to run it back to camp and start getting it unboxed while I finished paying for it with the RPP guys. I jammed back to camp to solder on a deans connector, slapped some batteries in the remote, and we were off...
I won't bore you guys with all the details, but this was the little rig that could.
It bounced, banged, and beat it's way through the night stage. At one point it was completly submerged in clear dirt when he lost his shoe in the mud and accidentally squeezed the throttle for a few seconds. He did hit a couple trail markers, but we were all surprised that the both of them made it through the night unscathed...!
Come Saturday morning, I had a feeling we were in for a long day, and boy was I right. The day time obstacles were way more challenging than the night time ones. It took us forever to complete the stage, but he made it through every gate and challenge, surprising myself and quite a few fellow competitors when he would drive some crazy line like he knew what he was doing. He needs to learn his left and right a little faster to make it easier on my patience, but we made it through it.
At this point, I was completely blown away that this little silver Jeep was still running, and only missing a passenger mirror!
As night fell, it was time for the final stage. I was beginning to think that this rig might actually make it through a G6. Really? A stock SCX10 with a 7 year old at the trigger? No way. Yep, sure as sh...sugar. They both made it through the night stage 3 too, and the only thing I could find broken was a cracked shock tower.
A big thanks goes out to Axial for the event, all the sponsors that contributed, all the people that worked putting it on, and a rig that lived through it.
Oh, and my sons hero Captain Axial... Where was the green speedo and cape?!
Anyway, like I started this story with, I know the Rubicon run was a pretty big thing to put the Trail Rated badge on the SCX10, but I thing a G6 badge would mean a lot too. Maybe even a new "box stock" class too, eh?
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axialfest G6 Trail Rated Rubicon!

Great story! Glad you and your son could have that experience together. Axial has obviously done their homework as far as durability goes. Those Exo's can take a licking too! See you next year.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Awesome story! Thank you for your time to post and massive thank you to you and your family for coming out and participating in Axialfest!!!
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yup, the JK works. My daughter has been G6ing with a Wraith for over a year and it has been really durable as well.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
2006 2.2 National Champ

Love it! Thanks for the recap of your adventure over the weekend. It was great to see you and your family again, and great to see the smile on your son's face when it was all said and done.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Im Brandon

Awesome story! I bet I got you guys on video Saturday at the either the water crossing or the sand ramp obstacle.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. Yes, he had an absolute blast. I'll have to find some pics of
him in action. Brandon, we were the ones that hooked our ramps together
with Dooley and put them next to yours and hung out to let 50-75-100? rigs through...
He wants to be an Axial Team Driver too.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Great story!
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Axialfest G6 Trail Rated Rubicon! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trail Rated CJ's Honcho Build Trail Rated CJ Axial SCX-10 34 08-16-2011 03:28 PM
Trail Rated... Crown Vic?! microgoat Chit Chat 12 03-31-2011 07:33 PM
Scale trail rated badge 0lllllll0 Scale Accessories 4 01-17-2011 04:34 PM
TCS X-Trail Rubicon Difuser 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 06-09-2008 11:49 PM
Jeep Liberty (Trail rated 4x4) Mnster Chit Chat 10 05-08-2005 09:17 PM