Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Traxxas....your so original..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
It's only got a 10.75" wheelbase so it ain't a slash chassis.
Says in the description that it is built on the proven performance of the Slash 4x4.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #42
Suck it up!

Default Re: Traxxas....your so original..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Monkey View Post
Says in the description that it is built on the proven performance of the Slash 4x4.
Doesn't mean it actually uses the Slash chassis...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Doesn't mean it actually uses the Slash chassis...
Quote:
I've had a Stampede 4x4 and the chassis looks the same as that one (the part numbers match after a quick look at the parts list). The Slash 4x4 chassis is a bit longer.

The Telluride looks like it has shorter arms as well. They are a different part number than the arms on the Stampede 4x4.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #44
RCC Addict

I did a little more reading and they put 100k fluid in the diffs. With the 12t Titan and XL5 ESC it will actually go slow pretty well and does have a little speed up top. I bet it's actually pretty fun to drive.

This could actually be a great truck to have as a "guest" truck. A lot of times I want to invite people along with us when we trail ride, but I don't want to give up one of my current rigs. This one would handle some bashing, water, and even crawl a little. I could see upgrading the wheels and tires right away though. Those stock tires don't look like they grip too well.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Bottom line is the bottom line. They sell a lot of product. If you look at almost any product the medium quality, easy to use, most advertised sells the best. I hope they do get off there "lets reuse every grey chassis we make" theme and make a solid axle crawler but fact is they know what sells amd what makes them money. Is it right ? Debatable. Is it the American way ? Sure. Don't criticize them just don't buy there stuff if you don't like it. If there not building what people want they won't sell anything and they'll go broke. I don't know what there sales numbers are but I have seen more Slashes than any other RC out there. They must be doing something right. I'll agree the XO-1 and funny cars are a niche market but so is RC crawling in general. I think axial is doing an awesome job with RTR crawlers but I'd like to see Traxxas gets in the game hopefully it will make Axial step it up a knotch. Owning an RTR wraith was a big let down for me with durability but its really the only vehicle in its class. Maybe if traxass made something to compete we would see a redesigned wraith instead of axial doing the old traxxas trick of new wheels and body and rereleasing it.

Last edited by xCoolHandLukex; 08-09-2013 at 09:19 PM.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

I'm betting that center pan is the same. Different front and rear ends. It would be nice of them to put in some actual R&D and do a purpose built machine instead of adapting something from a whole different class of RC. But it is Traxxas, keep the costs down and the profits up. Screw the user, we can always get another one.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm betting that center pan is the same. Different front and rear ends. It would be nice of them to put in some actual R&D and do a purpose built machine instead of adapting something from a whole different class of RC. But it is Traxxas, keep the costs down and the profits up. Screw the user, we can always get another one.
nope centerpan on a slash is simular only in layout, there is alot of structural webbing molded in the slash unit..and wb is not the same as noted.
as far as the vehicle itself..meh, im sure it will be fun to drive, this isnt being marketed towards us per se.
traxxas has been good for the hobby and they make a decent fast vehicle..which is what most noobs want
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #48
20K Club

I'll be swapping my Twin Hammers for it. Could be fun.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytet View Post
sure it is awesome to get more people into the hobby. and yes it is great for the hobby for traxxas to have add ans sponsorships everywhere, increasing exposure to the masses. hard to argue that these are bad things..... is anyone is really complaining about that? and im sure this new truck sell well, and they will money off it. thats what companies are supposed to do after all.

but most, not all, but most folks on this forum (and most rc internet forums in general) are not newbs. they are aware of the different brand names, and what vehicles they have to offer. they see the scope and variety of vehicles available. and i imagine most want more, better diversity from the leader in industry, especially w their premium prices. not just body/wheel/tire/a-arm changes. this tends to send a message that designing and selling vehicles can be easy. with video games (yes im aware that a new generation of consoles is coming out in the fall) this is called 'sequel-itis', where innovation slowly ends, and the same basic product is produced over and over again, with slight, mostly cosmetic changes. ever heard of call of duty? or general motors in the 70's and 80's?

it would just be nice to see the big t try harder every now then with mass appeal releases, not more niche vehicles like the funny cars or x0-1. with the cash they seem to be making, how much could they lose? or what if it was a huge success?

how about beat hpi and release a 1/8 gas engine? or or a 1/5 scale? or a proper 1/8 buggy, truggy, or a proper onroad? or something new and genre defying? (summit doesnt really count, based on revo platform)

and yes, this is a crawler site, so who doesnt want a solid-axle anything?!?!?! i dont even care if its any good, i just want to see what they come up with. it is almost like some where in their mission statement they swore to never release one....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisdougsforu View Post
I would agree with the 1/5 scale thing. If Traxxas came out with a 1/5th scale off road racer (buggy, SCT) I think that would really shake the industry if they could meet a certain price point.
Traxxas 1/6 2WD Gas Buggy w/Zenoah Engine (TRA6002) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories

Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Looks stiffer than an rtr wraith
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #51
RCC Addict

I think its cool looming and would be a blast on trails. Its a stampede 4x4 with a brushed motor and slash wheels and tires.

I'd throw a ROC 412 in there, figure out how to get some 2.2's to work, and lock the rear axle and that thing would be a blast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #52
It's a scale thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
Its amusing to me to hear all the bashing of Traxxas on here.
I agree they are not supporting the crawling section of the hobby & are pandering to what they feel sells (so far they are right.)
They see a emerging trend in the scale/trail/ & they throw out their offering, thats what they do, sell their product.
The funny part is when I got into rc's 20+ years ago Traxxas did not exist & they have managed to create & dominate a "new" section of the rc world, RTR bashing.
They build bashers for bashers & whether we like it or not doing that has made them one of the most recognized names in rc.
I feel we should at least recognize the power of drawing new people into the rc world, they have that.
Some of the newbs drawn in by the fun & ease of RTR Traxxas will evolve to positive additions to our corner of the rc world.
I am happy Traxxas came along, I feel they are a benefit to the whole rc world even if they don't make what I want to buy (except those maxx shafts for my Wraith.)
Well said. I agree Traxxas has made RC mainstream! Can't denie that
Bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #53
It's a scale thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I've had a Stampede 4x4 and the chassis looks the same as that one (the part numbers match after a quick look at the parts list). The Slash 4x4 chassis is a bit longer.

The Telluride looks like it has shorter arms as well. They are a different part number than the arms on the Stampede 4x4.
It's built on a stampede chassis
Old 08-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #54
It's a scale thing

Ok like Traxxas or not, look at what they have done for the industry. You don't see Axial's name on every 1.1 race track or vehicle. I have had traxxas in the past and I know how well they are built, you can't get anything out of a box as good as they build.
As much as I like my current fleet of Axial vehicles, they are junk out of the box. You have to put thousands of $ into them before they touch the dirt or they break. But I do love the axial look, they are awesome scale cars/trucks.

I think I might buy this new telluride, might be a fun crossover crawler/basher at a low cost. I think with a few upgrades it could be a fun truck.

Oh and if anyone from traxxas reads these forums please build a solid axle crawler, with new parts/chassis everyone wants to see that!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

This thread could have easily been named ... Axial...... Your so original .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbounder View Post
This thread could have easily been named ... Axial...... Your so original .
Yeah I guess no one realizes their scalers are the same truck with a different body on it.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #57
RCC Addict

My first reaction was: "What the hell is that?" I guess they do know their target consumers though......long live Axial!
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #58
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
Yeah I guess no one realizes their scalers are the same truck with a different body on it.
The difference there is the SCX10 is a fantastic platform. Plus Axial is constantly improving week links in their design with every new release. Whereas Traxxas has had the exact same parts for the last 20 years... Oh except they are grey now.

Im not bashing Traxxas, I am just saying you can't compare them with Axial, it's just not the same.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

I love my axial trucks so don't take this the wrong way buuuut seems like the aftermarket has found and fixed the weak links not axial .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
The difference there is the SCX10 is a fantastic platform. Plus Axial is constantly improving week links in their design with every new release. Whereas Traxxas has had the exact same parts for the last 20 years... Oh except they are grey now.

Im not bashing Traxxas, I am just saying you can't compare them with Axial, it's just not the same.
I'm not a traxxas guy I don't care for the go fast stuff but in every way you could compare the two companies traxxas would beat axial in almost every category including overall quality. Axial didn't paint their parts grey but they did reuse many parts from the original AX10 kit. They both reuse parts for the same reason to save money. The scx10 is a good kit but hasn't changed all that much other then bodies. The addition of cheap plastic links in their kits and shocks that leak like a sieve is a real improvement to some people I guess. As for quality go get a cheap stampede and an xr10 and see which breaks first or better yet a revo vs wraith. Traxxas probably loses more covering warranties then Axial makes total. Which is why traxxas hasn't had to sell itself to a larger company to keep the doors open.

Anyone want to make a bet as to how many decades traxxas will be around after axial is gone?
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas....your so original.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
original rc10 slegh Non Crawler RC's 0 06-05-2013 09:13 AM
Original AX-10 Scorpion tyerfryersc Chit Chat 10 01-17-2012 01:00 PM
the original clodbuster honcho1.9 Chit Chat 4 12-30-2010 11:23 PM