Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: tower hobbies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default tower hobbies

whats up with tower? as if they aren't making enough money already, i just went to order some gears for my p.o.s. hitec servos and saw that the standard shipping was up to $8.99!

Last edited by chino63; 10-16-2006 at 12:43 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Use your local hobby shop SHIPPING wont be a problem
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

those parts must not have been in the parts express category... the shipping is still the same.
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

yeah i noticed shipping went up my last order which included a pumpkin and blackfoot extreme hard bodies. both of the bodies arrived damaged and they sent me replacments no questions asked and let me keep the damaged goods. so with a replacment policy like that i dont mind an extra buck.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i think they have a flat rate shipping. my shipping was also 8.99
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

from the last time i ordered, it's up a buck or more. i think thats alot considering how many orders are made per day. i guess i will wait to combine my order with someone else i know or order from my lhs.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

It's only a dollar.

When you spend $122, what's one more? Besides, Discover card will be footing the bill for this last order of mine for a couple years...

Then it'll be more like $300 by the time I get around to paying it.

Guess that isn't really funny...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape !!!
Use your local hobby shop SHIPPING wont be a problem
whats a local hobby shop? is there such a thing?
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
whats a local hobby shop? is there such a thing?

ditto, I have to drive about 700 miles to Tammies Hobbies. Only good hobby shop even remotely close to me.:-(
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I ordered a set of proline mohawks and it only cost 3.99 to ship
I ordered a chevy HD 2500 body, 4 cans of paint, miscelaneous parts and a aquacraft Pro fisherman boat and that only cost me 8.99 to ship the box it came in was huge. I have also had numerous times stuff has arrived damaged and they just sent replacements without having to send the damaged back. I usually order almost $200-400 a month from them so 8.99 is cheaper than buying from my local hobby town since they jack up the price and i have to pay tax ( almost 8%) on a overinflated price. To me paying 1 dollar more doesnt really matter.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I haven't used Tower in some time. I order everything I can (some times my LHS does not have a supplier for certain items) from my LHS.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I haven't used Tower in some time. I order everything I can (some times my LHS does not have a supplier for certain items) from my LHS.
Ditto, I'll gladly pay a few extra dollars to keep my lhs open so that I can run down there when I need some small part right away.

Plus, once you become a regular customer they will throw you a bone once in a while to save you some money.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I just pay the $14.99 to join the super saver club. I get free shipping most of the time because my orders meet or exceed the $150 limit, or I make them exceed. Then I get lots of free stuff by spending $xxx.xx and use the coupons they give to super saver members. I got 2 nice tool kits, a drill set, servos, fuel bottles, work table mat, and numerous other items over the past 2-3 years. I also get extra discounts and stuff. Its worth the money to join the club, I just wish they had a wider varity, their inventory seems to have shrunken over the past couple years... but I guess that happens when they drop LOSI and KYOSHO. Tower doesnt carry things unless they know they can keep it in stock, so I guess thats why we dont see alot of the littler items for R/C's that arent as popular as others. While they have excellent prices on their traxxas r/c's other brands such as tamiya are over priced. Oh well, all stores have their pro's and con's. $405 or whatever tower wants for the F350 sure beats $499 at the LHS here.

Im still trying to get into the habbit of going to the HS first, Im not used to having one around, didnt have one where I used to live, now I have 2, and neither carry much of what Im after.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

WOW we sticker our Hi-Lift at $399
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Most of their kits are $75-$150 over tower prices. But I guess that happens when you don't buy in bulk, and or you have a bad distributor, or, they just mark them up that high because people pay it....

Its probably for the better right now anyway, I need to buy X-MAS gifts for people before I buy myself an F-350. and I know if it would been ~$389 or so, I woulda bought it a couple weeks ago... along with a new 3 channel radio that would be ~$200 im guessing, so its for the better, for now anyway.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #16
Im Brandon

Quote:
When there is only one LHS within 100 miles they mark everything up, it freaking sucks. Just recently another opened up near me and now there is some competition, havent ordered anything online since
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Oppan Gangnam Style

trust me, i do buy quit a few things from a few of my lhs but when i need something that tower has and i can get it in three days or less, i get it. plus they take paypal now. i have a bit of money in the paypal account from selling things so it doesn't come out of my pocket or the bank account.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i'm not complaining 9 bucks shipped for a evader and a dark impact, thats a steal to me
Bknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

sorry this is kinda off topic, but does tower offer better deals just before or just after the xmas season? i wanna oreder a couple hundred and am not in a hurry lol
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:02 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadblock
sorry this is kinda off topic, but does tower offer better deals just before or just after the xmas season? i wanna oreder a couple hundred and am not in a hurry lol
Hard to tell. They always have some kind of a special going on. They dont really have an x-mas or after x-mas sale though, just the normal specials they always have.