Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Lost my sight, need some advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lost my sight, need some advise

I had an appointment wit my retina doctor last Friday and everything went well except for the pressure in my left (bad) eye. The normal pressure is between 10 and 20, mine was 54. The doctor isn't worried, he expected this to happen with the amount of trauma that the left eye has sustained. The right eye is holding steady and the retina is still laying flat. My vision isn't improving but it isn't decreasing either, so I will call it a win.
I have been using a magnetic mat from COWRC for the past few weeks, and it has made wrenching much easier for me. (thanks a million Fumbles!) I can see the contrast between the screws and the white surface much easier. The color coded rings on my hex drivers make them stand out on the mat too, which means less fumbling for tools. Thanks a million for the ideas guys, it really means a lot to me!
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
Scale Detail Engineering

glad the CowRC mat is working out!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Good idea to color code the tools !
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I am slowly gathering parts for a build for next winter of a 3906 emaxx that I bought from a friend locally in 2006. I have replaced some of the screws with stainless hardware and have waterproofed the servos and rx box. I will be using a black VW body that I painted for him in '06 and will be using some black dish wheels that I have had for some time. My hope is that the stark contrast between the all black truck and the white snow will make it easier for me to follow. I am going to install a Titian 775 and gear it kind of low so that the top speed is slow enough for me to see and follow. I am using spare parts that were laying around from years of running and racing t/e maxxes, so this will be a budget build.
I am thinking about switching the wheels on my SCX10 to white wheels to provide a little more contrast. My wife and I are wanting to hit the trails as soon as the snow melts; we are both going stir crazy being stuck in the house for so lone! Is there a scale looking wheel that would look good on a classic truck such as an early bronco? Buster is painted metallic orange with a white soft top, so I think that a white wheel may fit the theme pretty well. Thanks guys for the help!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Like these?

Stamped Steel 1.55 Stock White Beadlock Wheel
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:42 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Those are nice, but I wish they were 1.9's and not 1.55's. I am looking at a set of Baja Claw TTC"s as my next set of tires when my Flat Irons wear out. I like the taller height of the TTC's and don't want to have to switch to a shorter tire with the 1.55's. Plus I like the look of a larger rim (I have the flat irorn's stretched over narrowed 2.2's right now) I know that the big rim look is kinda mall-crawlerish but I really dig the look and I need all that room for bigger brakes!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

6 Lug Wagon 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White)

They make a 2.2 of it also.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Man those are nice! I bet those would look even better once they get a little patina on them. That is a definite option. Now just to drop a few hints to the Mrs. about that upcoming birthday...
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. My wie and I were at Dicks sporting goods spending a Christmas gift card and while were browsing through the woods and drivers in the pro shop, an employee walked up and struck up a conversation. I told him I was looking for a 400 to 500cc driver with an ultra stiff flex shaft, I was wearing my sunglasses like I always do and I always turn my head and body to who I am talking to, so the guy didn't know of my visual impairment. He asked why I needed the ultra stiff flex shaft. I told him that my swing is too high for a standard flex to survive. He asked if I had ever had my speed measured, and I said yes and it was consistently in the high 130's with a high of 161. Then he asked the question I had been waiting for since I lost my sight: What's your handicap? To which I replied with a smile "I'm blind!" He immediately started apologising and I told him not to worry. My wife is audibly laughing at the situation. I told him the same thing I tell everyone: there's no point in being blind and bitter. That doesn't help anyone.
My wife lines me up with the ball and my drives haven't suffered but strangely my short game has improved...
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

You are twistedman
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I took Buster out to the local park yesterday to try out the new bec and battery plate that I just installed. The lake was frozen solid with an inch of snow on top which make for the ideal backdrop for me to see the truck. The orange of the body stood out very well against the snow and I was able to run the entire pack without losing track of the truck. Granted I wasn't driving too far away from myself, but I still had a blast. I experienced some glitching from the servo, but after speaking to castle, I discovered that the ground wire needs to go to the receiver and not just the signal wire. I will try to get that repaired soon so that I can get back out with the truck. I had a blast running yesterday and that was just on flat ground and ice; I can't wait to actually hit the trails once the weather warms up this spring!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you had a good fun run Just the right amount of snow. I use Hi-Tec servos. Very water resistant. Never let me down. I don't even buy the water proof versions. What tires you running? I recently got new TSL Swampers, gonna cut them this spring. Nephew blew my rear driveshaft so I'm broke down right now
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Currently running flat irons with memory foams and weights mounted on narrowed stampede 2.2 wheels. They work really well for where i run but im hoping to try some baja claw ttc's some time this year.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

Sounds like an excellent time out with your rig sir!!!!! We have no more snow here
503dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #35
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You have a pretty good attitude about it, and that will take you very far. Maybe I should close my eyes when playing golf, I could use some help

Tell your wife to loosen her grip on the soldering iron. The shakes get worse with a tight grip.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You have a pretty good attitude about it, and that will take you very far. Maybe I should close my eyes when playing golf, I could use some help

Tell your wife to loosen her grip on the soldering iron. The shakes get worse with a tight grip.
Its funny that you should say that; my retinapothist said. He said his short game couldn't get any worse so he may try that next time out. I had a laugh in at the sand trap the last time I was at the driving range when I thought I was two steps farther away than I was. Did a complete roll forward, head over heels and back onto my feet, all without dropping my lob wedge. I laughed it off since only a handful of employees and my wife saw my feat of acrobatics. I made the owner nervous the first time we came out after my last eye surgery, but once we got the hang of what I needed to do with the club and she got used to lining me up, I was back to hitting the long ball within the first bucket of balls. I had taught my wife the basics of golf so that we could play together when we first started dating and now she is good enough at guiding me that others at the golf course are asking her for tips and lessons. She's pretty awesome with a short iron like a 9 or a pitching wedge since she's rather short. I wanted to do driving distance competitions when I was younger and could see, but now I'm not sure if the Blind Golfers Association has anything like that. I don't know if I still have the distance to compete against full-sighted people and I'm not sure if I would be allowed to have my wife lining up the ball for me either. There are a few things that I want to do within the next few years that someone with visual impairment probably shouldn't attempt but we're trying to find a safe way to tackle a few of them. The first of which is to bring the blind driving record back to the United States. The record now is 186 mph set by a Brltish gentleman Mike Newman and I believe it was in a Porsche 911. I want to break 200 in an American can on American soil. Of course this is my dream and finding a safe way to do this is going to be a challenge, but if I can find my way to Bonneville I think it could be done. Now, where to find someone willing to let a blind guy drive their 200 mph race car...

And my wife said thanks for the tip on soldering; she still thinks that I would be better off doing it myself so she doesn't set the workshop on fire!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I understand what u t going through. My wife has RP retinitis pigmentosa which she is legally blind and her vision last time is was checked was 20/1000 so what u see at 1000 feet she sees at 20 feet. I have been with her for about 6 years now and we gave 2 beautiful kids together. In the last 6 years she has lost her vision totally 3 times. The first time she thought I would leave her. With being married to her it has given me many new perspectives on life. She is a much stronger person than I am and never says I won't do that I can't see. The best resource o can suggest is to try and find your local commission for the blind. Through them they can help with many things and questions and they can even get u visual assistance items such as a phone that talks or a computer that talks. If you have any questions feel free to message me here and I would help u as best as I can and I'm sure my wife will be more than willing to help and give advice and what not. I hope that things get better for you and remember that you are still you. Do not let anything stand in your way of what you want and believe.
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

ssdub33, thank you for your kind words. I am sorry to hear about your wife, but it sounds like she is a very strong person. When someone asks me if I can or can't do something because of my sight, I always tell them "No is not an option." I have contacted a few local organizations when I first lost my sight, and they were very supportive. I use a 10.2" tablet to post things on here, and it makes things much easier to see for me. I admit that I have been afraid a few times that my wife would leave since I have lost my sight, but she just tells me that she has been here through all of the bad times, why would she leave now? It scares me sometimes when I wake up in the morning and can't see anything out of either eye until I realize that my right eye is just glued shut with eye boogers. That usually makes my wife laugh first thing in the morning. I feel like its much more rewarding doing things now that I have to work that much harder to do them. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to see to drive and ride my sportbike and run my faster RC's, but I can still do anything that I put my bull-headed mind to! I guess being a Taurus finally paid pff!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Lol yeah and for a phone any of the iPhone have voice over which talks out loud to you and for the computer you can use jaws that also talks to you but if u got a iPad it will talk out loud to u. All of the apple iPhones and iPods and iPads come with voice over already installed also my wife said feel free to shoot her a email anytime for some help her email is beankrndall83@gmail.com I should also add that her ex had diabetes and went blind because of it so she probably has a lot of insight for what u r going through
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the heads up on the i-devices; I am an Android user and my new LG Optimus G has voice activation and commands. That was one of the requirements we had when we got new phones. Thank you and your wife for the support. My friend has an iphone 4s and she loves it but I had trouble navigating it and it seems counter-intuitive to me, but I know its mainly just what a person gets used to. Likewise, she struggles with our Androids in the same manner. I have a Shuffle that I listen to while I ride my mountain bike on the trainer and I love it. Its super simple to use and holds just enough music to last through one riding session before repeating anything. (I usually ride for 120 sessions at a time)

Lost my sight, need some advise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In plain sight Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 10 11-06-2012 07:30 AM
Line of Sight JeremyH Chit Chat 29 08-21-2012 09:34 PM
my blog sight!! daddyduck Virginia 3 09-16-2008 07:15 PM
new too the sight Wyman Newbie General 9 02-25-2007 05:44 PM