Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Who is up for a new comp class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #41
5th D Owner/Driver

Default Re: Who is up for a new comp class

Do other clubs across the country have seperate comps for scale and comp crawlers or do you guys lump them all into the same comp? We in WARCRC have it seperated and run 2.2p, 2.2s, and super in our comp crawler comps and run C1, C2, and C3 in the scale comps. Each comp is held on a different day, different week, once a month rain or shine. This is why Im confused on bringing a scale car to a comp crawler comp as we have different comps for both. The lack of participation is not because of missing a class, its the lack of anyone making a rtr comp crawler like they do for the scale trucks and no promotion for the comp crawler side. Thats my opinion.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #42
RCC Addict

I think you guys are missing my point.

If I wanted to run a box stock ax10 in 2.2 pro I could. Would it win. If Jake was driving it, maybe, but I could if I chose too.

I propose a class based on the wraith/ridgecrest/deadbolt/ dingo/ honcho, etc. NO SCALE POINTS NEEDED. It is not a scale competition. A class Axial could get behind, or at least acknowledge exists. People are going to end up with $2k in them if they choose, but the point is the vehicle itself is limited in design enough to allow success with minimal money spent. Shock springs, maybe new oil and relocate the battery on your wraith and have something competitive. Will there be a guy with the currie axles and 6s powered cars? Yes. It will weigh 3 pounds more and while it might be more durable, it might not be the best bet overall. But it could still be ran together.

I understand the 1.9 cars and the 2.2 cars are not exactly on the same level capability wise, but the shorter wheelbase might help in some situations, and the extra ground clearance would help in others. BUT if you have either you can run it. Clearly this is meant to be a feeder class. And at nationals I would not expect to see a box stock honcho running, but it could if the owner chose to.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Do other clubs across the country have seperate comps for scale and comp crawlers or do you guys lump them all into the same comp? We in WARCRC have it seperated and run 2.2p, 2.2s, and super in our comp crawler comps and run C1, C2, and C3 in the scale comps. Each comp is held on a different day, different week, once a month rain or shine. This is why Im confused on bringing a scale car to a comp crawler comp as we have different comps for both. The lack of participation is not because of missing a class, its the lack of anyone making a rtr comp crawler like they do for the scale trucks and no promotion for the comp crawler side. Thats my opinion.

My idea is to have an extra class to run at "comp" crawling events. Unless super blows up () or someone starts producing 1.9 cars again () we are running out of classes. 2.2 pro, and 2.2s is what are realistically left. People have been including some type of scale event at most national comps anyway, why not just capitalize on the cars THAT ARE ALREADY AT THE EVENT.

I have preached the lack of RTR comp crawlers has doomed this from the start. That is why we should include the only available RTR "crawler" cars into our format vs. hoping to grow the sport through prayer alone.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

I think for Nationals If they included a scale comp that would be cool. I liked the Poker run scale dash idea, but I would rather compete. A G6 style event would be the best bet. Why do we have to recreate the wheel? Run Class 2 SORRCA style rules.

Our club has always had two seperate days for Comp Crawlers and scalers.

With no RTR comp crawlers available we need to focus getting the new guys with the RTR and scaler kits involved. Here is what I added to our club discussion to try and hook them.

It would be an OPEN CLASS, since our Class3 never really took off; Wraith, Deadbolt, Ridgecrest. Not sure why some people are against scale points. I like the realism of how the rig looks.

I would like to break Class 1 and Class 2 into seperate levels. Also to include an OPEN CLASS for Deadbolt, Ridgecrest and Wraith. Course rules and addendums would remain the same.

Each class would be determined by the scale points you run.

Box Stock-15 scale points (ADVENTURER)
16-30 Scale Points (TRAIL READY)

MAX Scale Points 30

This will cater to the new comers just starting out and the experienced drivers alike. Drivers will be challenged on their current levels.

If an Adventurer driver wins 5 times they will move up to the Trail Ready level.

Class 1
Adventurer

Trail Ready

Class 2
Adventurer

Trail Ready

Open Class 1.9/2.2
Wraith, Deadbolt, Ridgecrest

Adventurer

Trail Ready

Last edited by Jslick; 12-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #45
RCC Addict

The scale run grandmasboy mentioned is loads of fun and would be easy for anyone to get into. Depending on the location we might do a timed event, team based event or scramble. 1.9 and super are dead here so this was a fun replacement. As he mentioned there aren't many rules since we just started this year and it's kind of at the "this idea sounds fun lets try it stage". If there was a long laundry list of rules I don't think it would be nearly as fun.

A rtr comp crawler would definitely help bring in more people but I don't see that happening. Awhile back I suggested a virtual rtr built here on RCC so noobs could see what they really needed to be somewhat competitive and up to date but there wasn't a lot of interest. I guess complaining, bashing any company that doesn't make a 100% scale/comp vehicle and generally waiting for someone else to do it is the preferred course of action.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
A G6 style event would be the best bet. Why do we have to recreate the wheel? Run Class 2 SORRCA style rules.

Our club has always had two seperate days for Comp Crawlers and scalers.

Let me put this in simpler terms.

You own a taco stand. You sell tacos. Only beef. You used to sell hundreds but now you only sell a few. You need to grow your business.

I propose you start selling chicken. Your idea is to send the people to the KFC across the street.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #47
Hoof Hearted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
People have been including some type of scale event at most national comps anyway, why not just capitalize on the cars THAT ARE ALREADY AT THE EVENT.

Soooooo........If people are already including a class where the rtr or kit Honchos, Deadbolts, Wraiths, etc are welcome to run at National events, then what is the point in this thread?
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

I like tacos.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #49
In the band for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
All of the rules and Nancys are why I never really got into comps. GTG's are so much more fun.

If I had it my way itd be simple run what ya brung rules.

1.9- any type of modded or unmodded 1.9 tire, shafty, WB limited to 12.5.

2.2- any type of modded or unmodded 2.2 tire, shafty, WB limited to 15.

So long as the truck looks proportionate it runs. No need for gas cans, hi-lifts, GI Joe men or miniature half eaten burritos. However if they are there its not a problem.

Simple. Focus on the fun and dont make it overcompetitive.
pretty much how our club does it, and it seems to be working. its turned out to be a family gathering. a lot of the wives and kids have joined in, everyone has a good time and the members have grown each year.

its fun for all, no one cares how much scale stuff you can cram on your rig, no points or whining. and every one helps each other out and we all let the moms and little kids play with the trucks. and at the end of the day every one leaves happy.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmasboy View Post
Soooooo........If people are already including a class where the rtr or kit Honchos, Deadbolts, Wraiths, etc are welcome to run at National events, then what is the point in this thread?

I guess you failed reading, or at least reading comprehension in school.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

I like the idea myself but it would depend on the rules. Unlike a lot of the people who have posted I would prefer it like the Violator suggested and have no scale points counted. You can have scale stuff if you want but it is not necessary and counts for nothing anyway. What first got me interested in crawling was seeing a video on youtube of a Berg climbing up and down the side of a cliff. I could care less how much like a real truck my crawlers appear.

I own a SCX10 that is not stock but it isn't a high dollar rig either. I probably only have about $500 into it total and that isn't out of the reach of most people considering a rtr costs almost $350 anyway. It has better shocks/springs, tires, electronics, metal gear tranny, etc. The one thing it doesn't have is scale points. That is because I don't WANT any. I am sorry but I personally have never understood why scale points even exist in the form they do. I thought the point of having a driving competition was to see who the best driver is (definitely not me) and NOT who has the most realistic truck. I've seen several sets of results from different clubs scale comps where the drivers who had the best course scores before scale points are counted in lost because others had more scale points. This is the one and only reason I refuse to go to scale comps. If I get beat by a better driver I can walk away happy but if I get beat because someone has a scale gas can and gun rack in the cab then I would never go back. This type of class would allow someone who thinks like me an opportunity to do more then just play with their SCX10 by themselves.

All that being said I don't know if I would want to see this at a comp crawler event simply because it would take more time to run another class. The time thing is because I am one of the guys who help set up courses, keep score, and do tech at our events so for me it is already a long day.

Last edited by stevejr; 12-16-2013 at 05:44 PM.
stevejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #52
Hoof Hearted?

Quote:
I guess you failed reading, or at least reading comprehension in school.

No, I actually read and comprehend quite well, but I guess the best thing to do when someone disagrees with you is to try and insult their intelligence.

Quote:
Intent of class is to be able to run the g6/scale vehicle you all ready own on the local and national level. The bonus is it would allow the guy with a box stock wraith/honcho to run it and get their feet wet in the comp crawling scene.
Quote:
People have been including some type of scale event at most national comps anyway, why not just capitalize on the cars THAT ARE ALREADY AT THE EVENT.
What am I not comprehending?
Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #53
Hoof Hearted?

Better yet, don't worry about answering that. I'm not going to get drug into a pissing match with someone any more than I already have.

Quote:
I welcome any criticism, ideas, etc. What does everyone think?
I like the idea of a run anything, laid back fun class as a way to expose new people to comp crawling. I just think the local level is where this is most effective and do not see a need for it on the National level. That is just my $.02.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Everyone knows this RC rock crawling shit is just a fad anyway.
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #55
No idea what I'm doing

Instead of introducing chicken tacos, maybe we should figure out why the beef tacos are no longer appealing to everyone.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Instead of introducing chicken tacos, maybe we should figure out why the beef tacos are no longer appealing to everyone.
You can only eat the same thing every day for so long before you get tired of it. Change it up every once in awhile and you'll be able to enjoy beef for much longer.

Personally I have no use for attending a comp in any format as they are set up currently. Comp rigs are fawking boring, yes being able to climb a wall is cool but I haven't seen a top level crawler that looks like anything in particular. The scale stuff isn't all that capable since they have smaller tires and are loaded down with scale crap.

Something scalesque with good capabilities appeals to me. Having a wheelbase spec and requiring the body to cover half the tires is a good start. Simple rules to follow and it can be done cheaply.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #57
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You can only eat the same thing every day for so long before you get tired of it. Change it up every once in awhile and you'll be able to enjoy beef for much longer.

True, but I think the question is, how to get people who have never tried the beef tacos in the first place, to take a bite. I think that's what Ted is trying to do by offering chicken tacos...get them to try the chicken, and maybe they will try the beef too.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 12-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
True, but I think the question is, how to get people who have never tried the beef tacos in the first place, to take a bite. I think that's what Ted is trying to do by offering chicken tacos.

Easy, don't give the impression that there is a $500 cover charge just to get in the door to try a $2 taco.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
True, but I think the question is, how to get people who have never tried the beef tacos in the first place, to take a bite. I think that's what Ted is trying to do by offering chicken tacos...get them to try the chicken, and maybe they will try the beef too.
DING DING DING we have a winner.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:

We all know and have talked about that. At one point comp crawlers were getting popular, I blame the XR10 for the rise, and the loss of the XR10 for the fall.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote

Who is up for a new comp class - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 Comp Class? ZNO-RC Newbie General 1 10-04-2010 01:31 PM
New comp class! jason Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 10-09-2008 01:03 PM
Colorado Comp #5...........Super Class and 2.2 Class Videos BENDER Videos! 37 06-06-2007 07:46 PM
PARC - December 4th - Rock Racing Comp- Spec/Drivers Class Comp- Get together kevinlongisland Competitions 31 12-06-2005 11:30 PM