Notices

Thread: Who is up for a new comp class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: Who is up for a new comp class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I loaned out my 2.2s to a guy at one of our comps. He appeared to have a blast, and his buddies said he talked about the experience for days afterwards. But he never came back.....
If its the guy I'm thinking of, he still talks about the experience, but for him it's a lack of money! Honestly for him to jump in and be competitive, it would be at least $500 for just 2.2s even more for pro.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
If its the guy I'm thinking of, he still talks about the experience, but for him it's a lack of money! Honestly for him to jump in and be competitive, it would be at least $500 for just 2.2s even more for pro.
A used 2.2p out of the classifieds can be had rtr for less than $500 and will work just fine for a beginner. An hour of practice a day is worth more than an extra $1000 put into the rig! I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying you have to have a super high dollar lightweight rig? Just because people have them doesn't mean everyone needs one. Practice, practice, practice
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
A used 2.2p out of the classifieds can be had rtr for less than $500 and will work just fine for a beginner. An hour of practice a day is worth more than an extra $1000 put into the rig! I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying you have to have a super high dollar lightweight rig? Just because people have them doesn't mean everyone needs one. Practice, practice, practice
Your right, you can find one for under $500, but how many newbes will know to get on this forum, post 30 times or pay the $20, and then know what they need to buy in the used section. A new person will buy something rtr, and may not figure out this webpage until much later.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #104
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
I will work with RC4WD (the only big guy still making comp axles)
Just FYI, since I have seen this said a couple times in this thread.....

I may not be a "big guy" but I do offer 3 different types of comp axles. This is from mild to wild, parts to fully RTR.

One of the types is just a standard off the shelf Berg set. Enroute still does make these axles and I can get them all day.

So, even if it is hard to find (obviously) there are plenty of parts to be had so you can build a car.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Just FYI, since I have seen this said a couple times in this thread.....

I may not be a "big guy" but I do offer 3 different types of comp axles. This is from mild to wild, parts to fully RTR.

One of the types is just a standard off the shelf Berg set. Enroute still does make these axles and I can get them all day.

So, even if it is hard to find (obviously) there are plenty of parts to be had so you can build a car.

Just curious Erik, if a club was willing to purchare a Club Comp Crawler to give newcomers a chance to get a taste of what it is all about, lets say in between mild and wild what would the cost be? I was wondering if vendors would be able or willing to put together a one time package for clubs to purchase and own? Our club will be doing some exhibitions at local hobby shops come spring. The shop stocks RTR scale rigs, and people will have a chance to drive them. It would be nice if we could showcase the Comp Crawler side. I think it could be a wise investment not just in the vendors but Comp crawling in general.

No one like the 4Wheel Steer 2.2 idea for another class??

Last edited by Jslick; 12-20-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #106
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Its a super common question.... how much? Problem is, Berg based axles are complicated and have many options.

Really you could start from the bottom and get some stock Exceed axles and fix what breaks. I would think you would be under $100 for a pair if you did that? These are not the most bad ass in this form but the good thing is that every part on the Exceed can transfer over to Bergs and therefore, be built super well at the end.

You could also start in the middle with stock Bergs. They have their issues for sure too. You can start with them though.

Best thing you could do is go to my site and build what you think would be an acceptable starting point. We all have our opinions on what that is.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #107
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I guess just to add to your thought...

We had the same idea. At our comps we want to have a loaner rig so new guys could drive them and just feel out the scene. We were thinking more along the lines of a Wraith. I dont know that you would want a comp rig for a guys first time? Seems like everytime I had a new guy my radio dig really messes with their brains and might even be a turn off?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #108
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdawg23wm View Post
I have been placing classified adds on Craigslist about our upcoming comps and it seems to be working quite well.
LIKE!

Great idea. I will do the same for next month.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #109
www.ottsix.com

Back in the day I bought a red cat rs10 for around $150 ...that was enough to get me hooked
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Scalers are popular because they take no skill to drive.
Every bit of credit you had with me went straight out the window with that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
The SORRCA scale points reward someone for just throwing any "scale" doodad on the truck. Then the actual driving is secondary. To me, the overwhelming primary reason for having a functioning RC vehicle is being able to drive it. If someone wants to have a scale model competition, then great, those exist also. I will admit that I have not followed the rules in a while. Maybe they tweaked the scale points to driving points ratio.

And I fully agree with your first paragraph. 2.2's on anything that's supposed to be 10th scale looks cartoonish at best. Pretending these vehicles are also submarines is silly. But even the most true RC scaler will do things it's full size counterpart won't be able to do. And just putting a semi scale body on a 2.2s will reduce it's capabilities quite a bit. (along with looking cartoonish)
Seriously? Obviously you haven't kept up on or read the SORRCA rules for awhile. There are about 10-12 scale points available for "doodads". Most points are for metal bumpers, cages, transfer case, full interiors....things that effect the vehicles performance.

You wanna know why scale trucks are more fun than comp crawlers? They are a throwback to the days of actually building a unique rig. You can make them your own unique creation, and they actually look like something that isn't driving around on the moon. Not to mention all the different ways to compete with them. From SORRCA comps to G6 adventures to U4 to trail runs with your buds. When's the last time you went on a 2 hour trail run with your Berg?

You guys should revive a TLT class with Pede transmissions. Only tires you can run are Moabs and Mashers. Now that's when pro comp was fun!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #111
Old guy

Quote:
Scalers are popular because they take no skill to drive.
I think they are harder to drive. But thats me, I can drive anything, even a train.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Not to mention all the different ways to compete with them. From SORRCA comps to G6 adventures to U4 to trail runs with your buds. When's the last time you went on a 2 hour trail run with your Berg?

Add USSRCA comp crawling with a scale type crawler. Plus it would be the only multi use comp vehicle, because facts are:

Quote:
When's the last time you went on a 2 hour trail run with your Berg?
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I think they are harder to drive. But thats me, I can drive anything, even a train.
You can't drive a train Locomotive engineers have to wear sleeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Add USSRCA comp crawling with a scale type crawler. Plus it would be the only multi use comp vehicle, because facts are:
I'm a bit confused by this.....what exactly are you saying? Do you agree with me?
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by this.....what exactly are you saying? Do you agree with me?
I think he is. I'd be all over it personally. I have no use for MOA. Yes they can climb some ridiculous stuff but I don't care for radio control robots unless they are battle bots.

A scalesque rig is all I've built since I got into this hobby roughly 18 years ago. I see no need to change that now so if my already built junk had a class to fit in I'd use it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #115
Old guy

Quote:
You can't drive a train Locomotive engineers have to wear sleeves
I have some striped bibs and a puffy billed hat AND I do have a blue shrit with long sleeves.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #116
MODERHATER™

Threads that get attention like this and the pissing matches start are exactly why no one wants to get involved. Let's be constructive and move forward, not keep moving backwards people.

My ideas were to improve on the classes we already have, and make a more user friendly run what you brung class..

Drama is great for the intranets but does no good for the sport.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #117
www.ottsix.com

The shafty class exists...run your scale rigs, who's stopping you? Just keep it 12.5 and under and 2.2 and under...

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 12-20-2013 at 06:43 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:

Every bit of credit you had with me went straight out the window with that statement.
That's fine. I'll still sleep just fine tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I think he is. I'd be all over it personally. I have no use for MOA. Yes they can climb some ridiculous stuff but I don't care for radio control robots unless they are battle bots.

A scalesque rig is all I've built since I got into this hobby roughly 18 years ago. I see no need to change that now so if my already built junk had a class to fit in I'd use it.
There is everything from basically rolling scale models of real trucks, to G6, to Ultra4, and comp crawlers! There are around 12 classes to choose from right now and none of them are good enough? Really?
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Quote:

Seriously? Obviously you haven't kept up on or read the SORRCA rules for awhile. There are about 10-12 scale points available for "doodads".

When's the last time you went on a 2 hour trail run with your Berg?
I usually stick around after comps and drive and dump all my batteries. An hour or more. Does that count as trail running? After the comp rig batteries are dumped, the scalers come out to play.

And I did mention I had not kept up with the rules. I'm glad things have evolved.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
There is everything from basically rolling scale models of real trucks, to G6, to Ultra4, and comp crawlers! There are around 12 classes to choose from right now and none of them are good enough? Really?

None fit the bill for what I've built so far. I'll be making my way to some bigger events this upcoming summer to run in TTC and probably a G6 or two. But there isn't anything near me that I can run at currently.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Who is up for a new comp class - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 Comp Class? ZNO-RC Newbie General 1 10-04-2010 01:31 PM
New comp class! jason Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 10-09-2008 01:03 PM
Colorado Comp #5...........Super Class and 2.2 Class Videos BENDER Videos! 37 06-06-2007 07:46 PM
PARC - December 4th - Rock Racing Comp- Spec/Drivers Class Comp- Get together kevinlongisland Competitions 31 12-06-2005 11:30 PM