Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Who is up for a new comp class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Who is up for a new comp class

First things first. I speak for me, myself and I. The magic mystical rules committee, whose members some of whom have not logged on for months to nearly a year, are busy, or not, working on things. I feel why should the chosen few create the rules that we all have to live with. And since they operate in darkness without input of the masses, I would like to put a basic public opinion out there so if they would choose to wonder what everyone else wants the info would be there.

My idea is as follows:

Seeing that 1.9 is dead, super is even worse off, and the competitive side of this hobby is slowing and painfully dieing what would people want to run?

I propose this:

A scale based comp class. Run your scale "type" vehicle through gates with comp style rules. No winching, no towing. No need for scale accessories, you do not HAVE to HAVE a fake ice chest, or tow strap, but if you do thats great.

I also propose original sideplates and skids on the tvp cars. No CF plates. If you want to drill more holes in the stock stuff thats OK, but it needs to be stock. If you run an all metal tuber, then as long as it looks like a real car, it runs.

If it rolls, clean roll over is points, if you touch it, points, etc. Typical comp rules, just with a non typical comp car.

I suggest a very loose set of rules.

#1 Be scale based, single motor, and shaft driven. 15" wheel base
No berg with bronco bodies. No high end 2.2s with scale body on top. Wraith, honcho, summit, etc.

# 2 Must be a production scale based tire. No cut and shut tires, no pins. ( I would support no size limit as long as it is production based, and they are basically limited to 6")

#3 Rear steer or dig, not both.

#4 20" gates should allow the widest of wide through.

Intent of class is to be able to run the g6/scale vehicle you all ready own on the local and national level. The bonus is it would allow the guy with a box stock wraith/honcho to run it and get their feet wet in the comp crawling scene.

The first argument would be 1.9 or 2.2 or why a summit/wheelie king, whatever. It will not be fair to the rest.

The idea of this class would be fun. Something comp crawling has been lacking. It would be a feeder class to get people up to 2.2 pro or shafty. Course design would rule this class. The gate would need to be doable for most cars. Of course there is always the gate no one can get with a box stock 1.9. Well I propose a little different scoring system.

You cannot point out. If you cannot make it through a gate, or you hit both gates in the process you get 20 points and the progress. If you can manage to hit all 20 gates in the 6 minutes you would have a really high score, but you could still say you finished. I would not say it is a 20 and progress ( ie 2 touches and your through) but the gates themselves would need to be hit or just call you want to take them. It would allow the newbs to get past the first gate and hopefully finish the course.

For the higher end more competitive guys, bonus lines could make or break your scores. Newbs can drive by the bonus gates and still finish.

Lets face it, the 2.2 based wraith and ridgecrest cars would probably rule on the national level, I would not expect to see Del Monte or SDS show up to nationals with a summit, but they could if they wanted to. Of course if they show up with a 2.2s car and a ridgecrest body they would not be allowed to run. On the local level it would really help to draw in people. On the national level it would add an extra class to run on Sunday instead of the horrible 1.9 and the 2 guys who show up with supers.

The biggest plus is most guys own one. And it allows them to have a dual purpose, something our current comp crawlers lack. Run it at an G6, a comp crawl, and even a trail ride.

I welcome any criticism, ideas, etc. Again this is something I think would work. I have heard the mystic committee of all things crawling are thinking about something like this, but I am putting the idea out to the masses. What does everyone think?
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Who is up for a new comp class

This is what we did in Minnesota last year.

New this year, we are also running a new class we developed called the Trail Class. The Trail Class is geared towards any of the SCX10 rigs, but is open to any thing comparable meeting a few basic guidelines:
  • Maximum wheelbase 12.5”
  • Frame rail chassis must extend past center of both axles
    • Solid tube work can replace frame rails (i.e. truggy back)
    • No comp (Twin Vertical Pate) chassis
  • Body must cover at least half of tread width for the full length of all tires
    • Solid tube work (i.e. truggy or Wraith buggy) can work as body
  • Front bumper (required)
    • 5” minimum width
    • Must be in front of body
  • Rear bumper is optional
  • Max tire height 4.6”
  • Only servo allowed on axle
    • All other electronics must be mounted on chassis
  • Spare tire is optional but encouraged
    • We may have a ‘Challenge’ involving a spare tire
  • Scale accessories not required
  • No dig or 4 wheel steering
    • Can have them installed, but ‘Touch’ penalty if used

Seemed to work fairly well but could use a little tweaking. It seemed to really increase attendance, but kind of faded towards the end of the season.

Last edited by semnmrc; 12-15-2013 at 02:38 PM.
semnmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Sounds good at a club level, too much gray area for national level. Sounds like something you should run local if its what's needed. I personally think with class1, class2, class3, G6, and UltraRC, we have every aspect of the scale end covered from out of the box stock to 100% custom.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Sounds good at a club level, too much gray area for national level. Sounds like something you should run local if its what's needed. I personally think with class1, class2, class3, G6, and UltraRC, we have every aspect of the scale end covered from out of the box stock to 100% custom.

And you could run them at a national event. The way you cover the gray area is called "don't be an asshole" and if you show up and it does not fit the intent of the class your out.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
And you could run them at a national event. The way you cover the gray area is called "don't be an asshole" and if you show up and it does not fit the intent of the class your out.
X2-
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I see that working really well on a national level. Get a bunch of buddy's together to run tech, then next thing you know if your not in there little groupie bunch of friends, or you piss one of them of on the forum, then it's "o, that's just not scale enough, sorry your out". This forum already has too much of that now, no need to make it worse!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

All of the rules and Nancys are why I never really got into comps. GTG's are so much more fun.

If I had it my way itd be simple run what ya brung rules.

1.9- any type of modded or unmodded 1.9 tire, shafty, WB limited to 12.5.

2.2- any type of modded or unmodded 2.2 tire, shafty, WB limited to 15.

So long as the truck looks proportionate it runs. No need for gas cans, hi-lifts, GI Joe men or miniature half eaten burritos. However if they are there its not a problem.

Simple. Focus on the fun and dont make it overcompetitive.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
All of the rules and Nancys are why I never really got into comps. GTG's are so much more fun.
Funny, I have never seen you at either...
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Funny, I have never seen you at either...

It has indeed been a while. I believe the last comp was a indoor at the HT off W. Broad St. back in 08-09 with my 1/10 Blazer MRC 1.9'er. Last GTG was a few months before that at the James. Havent had the funds to get something new and get back into it.

FWIW I was a part of VARCOR when it started. Long time ago.

Last edited by RANOVRU; 12-15-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Yeah, I see that working really well on a national level. Get a bunch of buddy's together to run tech, then next thing you know if your not in there little groupie bunch of friends, or you piss one of them of on the forum, then it's "o, that's just not scale enough, sorry your out". This forum already has too much of that now, no need to make it worse!

Sounds like you had your large glass of hater-ade this morning.

Quote:

If I had it my way itd be simple run what ya brung rules.

1.9- any type of modded or unmodded 1.9 tire, shafty, WB limited to 12.5.

2.2- any type of modded or unmodded 2.2 tire, shafty, WB limited to 15.

So long as the truck looks proportionate it runs. No need for gas cans, hi-lifts, GI Joe men or miniature half eaten burritos. However if they are there its not a problem.

Simple. Focus on the fun and dont make it overcompetitive.

Sounds perfect. Of course for every rule you add, you lose 10+ guys who will not bother. Wait until there is 3 pages of rules.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Hoof Hearted?

We in ETRC have started running a sort of scale/run what ya brung class, except with no vehicle restrictions. There are very few rules, and the "gates" are less gates and more checkpoints to guide a driver toward an obstacle. This is geared to bring in any new people we meet to get them interested in the comp scene without the discouragement of bombing a pro course. We run this class first for a couple of reasons. 1.) It gets everyone warmed up before jumping on a pro course and 2.) This keeps a newcomer from having to wait around for hours before driving their truck, and possibly getting impatient and leaving. Showing up and having fun right off the bat will increase the chances of the new guy sticking around to ask questions and see what the comp side is all about.

I really like the idea of fun laid back courses where any vehicle can run as a tool to recruit new people into the sport, BUT I don't see a need for it at the National level. Remember, Nationals is supposed to be for the best of the best.

Trying to recruit new people straight into the National level isn't going to grow this section of RC. Recruitment and the spawning of interest in this sport has always and will always be more effective at the local/club level.

Last edited by Grandmasboy; 12-15-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm I have 3 rigs that could easily fit into this class. I'd actually compete in this one for absolutely sure.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Hmmm I have 3 rigs that could easily fit into this class. I'd actually compete in this one for absolutely sure.

Once you came out and saw how things work, you might be ready to jump into a 2.2pro car. Unless you go out there and see on the 4th page of rules your tires are .00000001" to short, and you have .00000001" of battery exposed and get shut down.

Or the rules could be relaxed and people would show up.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmasboy View Post
I don't see a need for it at the National level. Remember, Nationals is supposed to be for the best of the best.
Agreed. There's a reason that you can't show up at the Indy 500 with a learners permit and a '86 Corolla and expect to race...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Agreed. There's a reason that you can't show up at the Indy 500 with a learners permit and a '86 Corolla and expect to race...

I would not expect a guy with a RTR wraith to unbox it on the first course and run, but................

Have you been to a nationals lately? When you cannot muster 100 drivers to show up, maybe its time to adjust the way things are done. The 1.9 are worse than the Corolla, and they made it to the big show. While the scale type class would be geared to draw newbs in, I am sure any of these cars ran at a national event would work as well as possible for the limits of the design.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I am bored with crawling. I want a new class. Fairly simple.

I agree with anyone trying to get a fire lit under the comp scene.

Quick thoughts is similar to Minn. Rules:

SCX ladder frame(similar design), extend 1'' past axle centerline of axle
2.2 tires
Servo only mounted axle
Electronics chassis only
No bumpers
ONLY LEXAN bodies minimum 12.5'' (with appropriate width)

Traditional comp courses

I would be into this or similar 100%. No scale accesories

Just thoughts from a guy who is burnt out on comp's right now. (I have comped religiously since 2007 with a recent break. Would love to find some passion for it again)
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Its sad this 'hobby' has gotten so competitive.

Its not the super bowl or the indy 500, they are remote controlled cars/trucks.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
I would not expect a guy with a RTR wraith to unbox it on the first course and run, but................

Have you been to a nationals lately? When you cannot muster 100 drivers to show up, maybe its time to adjust the way things are done. The 1.9 are worse than the Corolla, and they made it to the big show. While the scale type class would be geared to draw newbs in, I am sure any of these cars ran at a national event would work as well as possible for the limits of the design.
One of the guys that went with me to my last comp built his new rig in the back seat one the way over...I didn't expect it either, but there it was.

I haven't been to a nationals ever. Or a regional for that matter.

I agree that something should probably change, but I don't lay all of the blame on the rules committee. The economy is still crappy and I think that has quite a bit to do with it.

New guys need to be able to go to a comp and not feel like they have to compete directly with the local top tier drivers. It is unfair and not very encouraging. Inclusion of the new guys should not dictate course design for the better drivers either. That is also unfair and equally discouraging. You want new people to stay as well as the established people.

All a club would need is a simple class that caters to 2.2 based rtrs with a more lenient rule set. Anyone that joins that class gets a mandatory bump into a more difficult class if they do exceedingly better than everyone else. If they aren't all that great, they'll have time to learn to drive, time to learn the rules, and they'll know ahead of time what the other classes are like because they will be there to observe them.

A national competition in any sport has always been about the best of the best and should be as much of a celebration of achievement as it is an actual competition. Letting new drivers in that wouldn't stand a chance in hell otherwise would diminish both of those aspects.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-15-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Its sad this 'hobby' has gotten so competitive.

Its only as competitive as you make it. There is nothing stopping a local club from not running USRCCA rules or guidelines.

The local club I race with has their own (albeit strict) rulebook and while its competitive, its cheap and fun. We had a record attendance this summer.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Hoof Hearted?

Quote:

But isn't that what Nationals is supposed to be? The Super Bowl or the Indy 500 of RC crawling? If you're not going to make it a somewhat exclusive event and let any Tom, Dick, and Harry in that has a crawler or scaler, then what's the point?
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Who is up for a new comp class - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 Comp Class? ZNO-RC Newbie General 1 10-04-2010 01:31 PM
New comp class! jason Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 10-09-2008 01:03 PM
Colorado Comp #5...........Super Class and 2.2 Class Videos BENDER Videos! 37 06-06-2007 07:46 PM
PARC - December 4th - Rock Racing Comp- Spec/Drivers Class Comp- Get together kevinlongisland Competitions 31 12-06-2005 11:30 PM