RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Car prob question. (Vid included) (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/489870-car-prob-question-vid-included.html)

CrawlinMike 04-01-2014 07:08 PM

Car prob question. (Vid included)

I've seen a few other car issues posted here in chit chat. So why not. Need some insight on this ugly noise. Is is NOT the brakes. It is not the suspension either. It only does this in reverse or while in gear in town and I let off the gas. Soon as I press the clutch it'll silence. Acceleration, takeoff, and staying the same speed has no sign of this noise. I have the same question posted in a miata forum but doesn't seem to be getting replies.
http://youtu.be/iseGM_WlQxI
I still have yet to get under and inspect the drivetrain but if it's not raining tommorow I will.

BJoe 04-01-2014 07:14 PM

Re: Car prob question. (Vid included)

Unless it's brakes making funny noises while in reverse, I have no clue, little thing sounded pretty good under throttle otherwise though"thumbsup"

KJ10 04-01-2014 07:44 PM

e-brake?

BigSki 04-01-2014 07:45 PM

what kind of car is it? I honestly couldn't tell from the vid. Reason for asking: it would help to know if it's front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

BJoe 04-01-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 4730841)
what kind of car is it? I honestly couldn't tell from the vid. Reason for asking: it would help to know if it's front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

It's a Mazda Miata, a little front engine/rear drive British roadster made by the Japanese........after it was designed and engineered in California:ror:"thumbsup"

CrawlinMike 04-01-2014 07:52 PM

Not the ebrake. And it's a '90 mazda miata. Got it less than a week ago. I'm just trying to go through all the small issues the past owner ignored and/or shortcutted. Trust me they did. I pulled the shifter today and replaced the fluid in it. Found quite a few things.

BigSki 04-01-2014 07:55 PM

When I listened to the vid, the noise sounded like it would be in time with a drive-shaft rotating, that's why I wanted to be sure the car would have a drive-shaft. :mrgreen:

I'd look at the u-joints.

CrawlinMike 04-01-2014 08:04 PM

Car prob question. (Vid included)

Thanks bigski. Oldman52 pmed me right after I posted this saying ujoint was pretty likely and why. Could be pretty likely there's a grease cert and the bearings just dry as there's no shimmy or anything yet. If there's no rain tomorrow I'll be getting under the car to look at it. Thanks y'all. So much better than the mazda forum and all within 30 minutes.

GySgt Hartman 04-01-2014 08:11 PM

Check the mounts for the differential and motor/trans. Sounds like something is moving under torque and causing something to rub.

1tonscout 04-01-2014 08:13 PM

loose wheel bearings allowing the rotors to rub on the rotor shields"thumbsup"

BJoe 04-01-2014 08:15 PM

Geeze Mike, kinda sounds a little (fortunetly for you very little) like my friend's Fox Body, calling it a Clusterfawkstang would be more accurate than a Mustang considering what they have or still need to fix on it!

CrawlinMike 04-01-2014 08:17 PM

It's only when in gear. For ex in reverse and engaged. If it's rolling backwards in reverse the moment I push the clutch it stops the noise. So negative torque feedback is causing the squeaking. I'm convinced it's a ujoint now I have a couple of you guys navigating straight to it.

BJoe 04-01-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawlinMike (Post 4730884)
It's only when in gear. For ex in reverse and engaged. If it's rolling backwards in reverse the moment I push the clutch it stops the noise. So negative torque feedback is causing the squeaking. I'm convinced it's a ujoint now I have a couple of you guys navigating straight to it.

Still might not hurt to look for anything loose at the diff too, it could still be rolled back when rolling backwards causing something to rub.

CrawlinMike 04-01-2014 08:21 PM

Oh I definetly will. I have the fluid to change out the man trans fluid and diff fluid as well as a little pump to put it in. So I'll be down there for a bit.

CrawlinMike 04-01-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJoe (Post 4730787)
little thing sounded pretty good under throttle otherwise though"thumbsup"

Thanks. It's got a header into a solid welded straight pipe all the way back to the fart can lol. Sounds cool to me in town but the highway the drone can get annoying. I've had a lot of guys try to get me to drag race them at lights. Nahh. I know what it can do. No reason to run the crud outta the car for nothing at every light.

csb510 04-01-2014 10:41 PM

worn out bearings in the gearbox

CrawlinMike 04-01-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csb510 (Post 4731034)
worn out bearings in the gearbox

Oh I hope not

gearhead79 04-02-2014 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJoe (Post 4730787)
little thing sounded pretty good under throttle otherwise though"thumbsup"

i wanted to say the same thing!!!! Sounds pretty good"thumbsup" im sure youve heard it enough but yea check the joints,my dads silverado did the same thing,he would drench the joints in wd40 and the squeek would go away

hotrodsonoma 04-02-2014 05:45 AM

If the noise stops when you press the clutch.Check the throwout bearing.

AB8DQ 04-02-2014 03:06 PM

While you are checking the throwout bearing also check the dust shield covering the flywheel/torque convertor. It sounds like the dust cover might be loose or rubbing on something.