Notices

Thread: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2023, 11:35 AM   #2021
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I'm way out of riding shape, but trying to get back to it. If I ever get back to Pisgah shape (that's a whole nother level of fitness LOL) I'll hit you up and maybe we can get in a ride sometime. Never got to ride Butter Gap. Did do upper Black before it was re-routed though. Sheesh, was a brutal hike a bike up though.
For sure, hit me up!

The hike a bike up Black is always rough, the more you do it and the stronger you get, the less pushing there is but it is always a drain. When you get off fire road climbing in Pisgah, you know it's gonna be an adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
New 510 Freeride Pro shoes. I thought I'd give them a try. Well they are no where near as good as the original 510 shoe from way back in the day. Originals were like super sticky glue on the pedals. New rubber compound not even close.
Try washing them, I find this helps the rubber a lot. What pedals are you using?

I've tried a lot of different shoes and none of them grip as well as 5.10s do, the Ride Concepts I had were among the worst. Terrible quality (the tongue loop broke on day 1, stitching was coming out), very uncomfortable for me, and poor grip on the pedals. I returned them after a while and, after trying some other brands also, decided to just stick with 5.10. They may not be what they were before, but they are still better than everyone else IMO.

For knee pads, avoid iXS or anything distributed by the Gravity Cartel like the plague. Mine were smoked after 3 months of use and they told me to pound sand when I tried to warranty them, $130 down the drain. I've had Dakine pads last almost 2 years of regular riding on really rough terrain, my current set is several years old (admittedly I don't wear them as much, even though I should).
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2023, 08:16 PM   #2022
Quarry Creeper

After thinking about the shoes. They may have been in the store for a while and have got the dreaded store rot. I wore them all day. Got home sprayed PB blaster on the sloes let them set until dry. I'll take the wire brush to them tomorrow to scuff the soles. Wash the in Simple Green and try them again.

I may have jumped the gun not liking the 510's. Store rot from just sitting on the shelf may be the issue.
I haven't used platform shoes and pedals in a long time.

Pedals are Kona Wah Wah 2's. New.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ride Concepts.

Pads I have some 661's with the hard plastic covers. new in pkg. that I may try for now.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:23 PM   #2023
Quarry Creeper

Shinook it just hit me. I got the Losi Grave digger from you.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:59 PM   #2024
Rock Crawler

Ugh, I've never been happy with 661 pads. They're super comfortable, but they gladly move right out of place during a crash.

G-Form Pro X3 pads are excellent if you're looking for something lightweight.

If you want some heavier padding, POC is always worth the money. It's top notch gear that is protective, comfortable and durable.

I use my old POC downhill pads for motocross now.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:28 AM   #2025
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Shinook it just hit me. I got the Losi Grave digger from you.
Oh nice! Hope it worked out well for you! I still have my roller, replaced a LOT of parts on it One of my favorite RCs still.

I tried without luck to get a solid axle MT race scene going here, but I couldn't really get much interest going on it.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:54 PM   #2026
Rock Crawler

Not sure how I missed this thread all this time lol. So here it goes. Got the itch for warm weather and the damn trails to dry out. I'd settle riding the bike park close to home. But every time we get almost clear trails it just snows again. Maybe time to invest in a fat bike one day. This year we've had over 700 inches of snow. If I had more time I'd love to jump on the road bike and even put some miles on the road, just very tough thing to do with my schedule. Got the kid a new bike to race with for nica. He's all excited to start his next year of riding. He's dying to get out and start practicing. I really love going to watch his races, great environment to be in, but mom thinks otherwise lol. She gets bored really fast.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official WiRCRC Chit Chat R/CMaxximus5.0 Wisconsin 3168 09-01-2023 09:04 PM
Mountain biking adamargue Chit Chat 30 09-09-2013 09:01 PM
Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread Ced RC Illinois 1022 09-18-2010 07:12 AM