Notices

Thread: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
If you're strong enough to push a 1x10 setup I highly suggest it. I wont go back! Cleans everything up and drops some weight.
I have a 2x10 currently and really only use the small ring on the super steep stuff. I bit the bullet today and ordered a Race Face narrow wide ring. Looking forward to trying it out.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

I had probably the second worst day I've ever had on a bike today, it just wasn't my day. The weird thing is, I got my first tune up done today, hung out at the shop and had a pre ride beer with the owner, and was the most excited to ride that I've been yet, having not ridden since Thursday. I felt good out of the gate, just couldn't pull it together, and just had weird shit happen for lack of a better explanation. I also learned that dry leaves over the trail in a downhill corner might as well be ice, that one hurt, still does. Hope to be back in the saddle Wednesday.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Did you bounce?
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #44
RCC Addict

that sucks... I hate being sore from crashing, I'd rather be sore from riding hard..LOL

I have a strict rule about my pre-ride nutrition... not too much fat, no sugary snacks, no alcohol, and no whacky tabacky... messes up my ability to zen out and focus on my environment.

After the ride it's a little less strict of course...

Last edited by rockhugger; 05-06-2014 at 12:14 AM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #45
RCC Addict

I usually try not to eat anything before my morning rides. I have a tendency to blow if I ride to hard and that's not fun. Empty stomach with tons of water is my normal. It's worked so far, no puddles of puke.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
I usually try not to eat anything before my morning rides. I have a tendency to blow if I ride to hard and that's not fun. Empty stomach with tons of water is my normal. It's worked so far, no puddles of puke.
Yep i,m much the same
I eat a helluva lot the night before but
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
Did you bounce?
Tuck'n'roll man, tuck'n'roll.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Ha ha, it happens. I don't bounce very good as I get older I'm finding out, it's more of a lawn dart than a bounce. I generally eat a light snack about three hours before a ride, but nothing right before as like you guys, I'll spew. Lots of water during the ride also.

Last edited by hpiguy; 05-06-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #49
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Uh, where are all the Road riders... crickets crickets... hollaaaaaa!!!!!
Ill jump on a cross bike occasionally

I just cant stay off the dirt!
Attached Images

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Hey, I've got one of those too... bring it up to Sac, cross riding is great around here. The black C-Dale frame in the pics I posted is cross frame / Easton Fork. Let's see your dismount technique

That's Uber cool.

sniff sniff, that first pic smells like familiar dirt, is that from the 916?

Old 05-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #51
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
If you're strong enough to push a 1x10 setup I highly suggest it. I wont go back! Cleans everything up and drops some weight.

What gearing are you running? I've thought of looking into a 2X setup when I finally get a new bike, but now you have me wondering.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Okay, so I need some advice.

I've been talking with various friends who ride and they're claiming that an entry level road bike would be a better way to get in more miles per week, and thus increase my cardio level faster. The argument is that with MTB, there are many times you'll go from putting out everything you can power wise to crest a climb, only to coast down the other side, then repeat. Wheres for the most part, in road biking, you're spinning a lot more. So does that sound like truth, or BS? I realize a lot of pro atheletes, moto guys included, all road bike for cardio, and not MTB.

The biggest thing for me would be hammering out more miles, we have a 6 mile greenway here that would be a perfect way to get started in road biking without being freaked out about interacting with traffic on our curvy mtn roads (my biggest fear on a bicycle). I realized I could swap tires around on the MTB as needed, but having done that on motorcycles in the past, it's a PITA to me to be honest and I'd rather just have another bike ready to go if I'm going to put in miles on the pavement. Also, with how the wrist feels today, I doubt there's any MTB'ing happening in the next couple weeks, but I think I could pound out some miles on a smooth surface just fine.

I've been considering buying a new fork for the MTB, but now I'm considering putting that off till next season, and looking at a road bike instead. Thoughts and opinions are needed and encouraged. Also, I've been told the fitness from the road bike would help my MTB'ing considerably as well.

Last edited by hpiguy; 05-06-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #53
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post

Hey, I've got one of those too... bring it up to Sac, cross riding is great around here. The black C-Dale frame in the pics I posted is cross frame / Easton Fork. Let's see your dismount technique

That's Uber cool.

sniff sniff, that first pic smells like familiar dirt, is that from the 916?

Nope, all OC. Lots of variety just outside my garage. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
What gearing are you running? I've thought of looking into a 2X setup when I finally get a new bike, but now you have me wondering.
I have a 34T Ring now with a Guide. Really wanting to pick up a new narrow wide and drop the guide. My granny gear ratio is 34/36, just slightly better than 1:1. It can be painful on steep climbs but I do it often enough I get by just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post

I've been talking with various friends who ride and they're claiming that an entry level road bike would be a better way to get in more miles per week, and thus increase my cardio level faster. The argument is that with MTB, there are many times you'll go from putting out everything you can power wise to crest a climb, only to coast down the other side, then repeat. Wheres for the most part, in road biking, you're spinning a lot more. So does that sound like truth, or BS? I realize a lot of pro atheletes, moto guys included, all road bike for cardio, and not MTB.

The biggest thing for me would be hammering out more miles, we have a 6 mile greenway here that would be a perfect way to get started in road biking without being freaked out about interacting with traffic on our curvy mtn roads (my biggest fear on a bicycle). I realized I could swap tires around on the MTB as needed, but having done that on motorcycles in the past, it's a PITA to me to be honest and I'd rather just have another bike ready to go if I'm going to put in miles on the pavement. Also, with how the wrist feels today, I doubt there's any MTB'ing happening in the next couple weeks, but I think I could pound out some miles on a smooth surface just fine.

I've been considering buying a new fork for the MTB, but now I'm considering putting that off till next season, and looking at a road bike instead. Thoughts and opinions are needed and encouraged. Also, I've been told the fitness from the road bike would help my MTB'ing considerably as well.
You can do the same long high mileage ride on your MTB as well, just a lot more resistance. If I am going to be on the road then a road bike is the way to go (or CX).

It is true that road riding with long continuous spinning will build strength. I know for a fact that the road guys can pull away from me when we ride MTB together on the long gradual inclines, but when we hit a steep section of trail or long climb 15° plus I can pull away from them. Just different training.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I rode a little over 20 miles in 90 minutes last night. It is the third time this year I have been out riding and felt good.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #55
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

When I was racing, almost all training was done on a road bike. Just about everyone I raced with trained on the road, and even did pick-up road races during the week to augment the weekend MTB races.

But it's not just about pounding out miles. You can't compare road miles to dirt miles since they are not the same. I never (still don't) ran a bike computer...just my watch. I would ride for time. My MTB races would be in the 4-5 hour range, so that's how I trained on the road.

Since you're already apprehensive about riding in traffic, I would suggest you get a set of slicks first. This way you're on a familiar bike instead of of something completely foreign. Tires really aren't hard to change. If you like pavement, go rent a road bike for the day...$25 is cheap insurance to find out if you like road bikes...they aren't for everyone, although I couldn't imagine life without one.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, I really appreciate and value the advice. I went by my LBS on the way home and talked to them. They're going to set me up with a demo bike for next Tuesday evening's beginners group road ride so I can give it a try (going in after work Monday to get it fit to me, and loaner pedals put on so I can run my MTB shoes). My LBS is ran by really great people, I just can't say enough good things about them, seriously! Although I have been giving them a ration of shit about being the pusher man LOL.

There was also a younger guy there that pretty much has the same background as me (Moto X, sport bikes, etc), who also started with mountain biking, then bought a road bike and he said he loves both now, and wouldn't be without either one at this point. I was also informed by a guy that owns the outdoor shop / hikers supply next door who's ridden all over the US, that our area is very bicycle friendly, and that he thinks I'll acclimate very quickly. I'm excited to try something in the cycling world I've never even tried, even when I worked in the industry.

The wrist feels a lot better also. I started about lunchtime today with some mild stretching, and progressed throught the day to the point I have almost full ROM now, just a bit sore.

Last edited by hpiguy; 05-06-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Ok, road bike vs. mtb. Get hit by a car doing 40 vs. slide out and just have some dirt ground in and a scrape.

As for who ever asked about a 1x set up, I have a 36 front with a 34 granny on the rear and I can get up a lot of things but I'm thinking of getting a narrow wide in the 34T flavor so I can make it up a lot more things. But my rear shock sucks for climbing and my bike has tons of pedal bob. I need to send the shock to fox and have them see if they can do something so the pro pedal actually works.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #58
RCC Addict

I got into road riding for the same reason...to squeeze in extra mileage during the week since it was such a pain to load my stuff up, drive 30 minutes to trails, and try to do a quick ride before dark. Road riding is pretty fun...especially if you find a good group to ride with. I've taken a liking to doing long rides and have done a couple of Gran Fondo events. It definitely improved my mountain biking endurance as well.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:

Oh man, I thought you'd never ask... the absolute truth is, a resounding yes!!!! Ask Natedog. He is a walking case study (I hope you don't mind me putting you out there buddy) to exactly what you just asked / said. He first bought a MTB, then eventually a road bike after having the same question. If you don't like roads & cars, stay on the green belt or trails if you have them nearby, and Like CHUD says, ride for time. 90 minutes is a good place to start.

Having a road bike (that you are comfortable on) will improve your riding in ways you can't imagine. It will improve your bike handling skills, for MTB, it will build your aerobic capacity exponentially, increase power and stamina...
Maybe even consider a Cross bike that does both really well. They tend to have a shorter cockpit,which translates into a slightly more upright riding position, which will be more comfortable for you.

I've been in the biking and fitness industry practically all my life, and when I was at the retail level, my primary goal was to get to know the goals of each and every customer to best suit them to a bike, not just sell them a bike, but to sell them my experience and knowledge to reach their goals.. anyway, in most cases this was the approach I recommended. The reality is, having two bikes is kind of needed.

Last edited by rockhugger; 05-06-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #60
RCC Addict

It's pretty awesome to have a great shop like that near you . Your excitement makes me want to go ride right now....

Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official WiRCRC Chit Chat R/CMaxximus5.0 Wisconsin 3168 09-01-2023 09:04 PM
Mountain biking adamargue Chit Chat 30 09-09-2013 09:01 PM
Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread Ced RC Illinois 1022 09-18-2010 07:12 AM