Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

Ha ha, thanks rockhugger. I appreciate all your advice also. I'm a huge proponent of buying local most of the time, for my own reasons. It actually does pay off when you find shops that aren't just tourist traps, but actually give a shit about the locals that wish to build a relationship with them as well. The LBS for example not only does not discourage having a beer, but jokingly will tell you it's almost required for hanging out. They also keep a variety of homemade beef jerky and other good snacks on the counter for customers as well. It's a husband / wife that own and operate the shop, and they moved here for the riding, and you can tell they are all about the sport and want people to feel comfortable and at home in their business. Having them to motivate me and get me involved in other aspects of cycling definitely goes a long way. I can't go in there without killing an hour or so just standing around BS'ing.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #62
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
Ok, road bike vs. mtb. Get hit by a car doing 40 vs. slide out and just have some dirt ground in and a scrape.

As for who ever asked about a 1x set up, I have a 36 front with a 34 granny on the rear and I can get up a lot of things but I'm thinking of getting a narrow wide in the 34T flavor so I can make it up a lot more things. But my rear shock sucks for climbing and my bike has tons of pedal bob. I need to send the shock to fox and have them see if they can do something so the pro pedal actually works.
It's not the low range I'm concerned with, it' the top speed. I'm concerned with a 1X not having a tall enough combination if it's also geared for climbing. I used to ride with a group from work on Thursday nights. My bike is old but geared tall, and they were all taking their big rings off to put bash guards on. On the downhills, I was able to pull away pedaling while they had to tuck and coast.

Hop on a road bike. Learn to spin and a lot of that pedal bob goes away. Mountain Bikers are notorious for pedaling squares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Maybe even consider a Cross bike that does both really well. They tend to have a shorter cockpit,which translates into a slightly more upright riding position, which will be more comfortable for you.
Another vote for a cross bike. I just got one last year for my commuter bike and love it. My old cross bike was a converted hybrid. I didn't want to race cross with a MTB, so I bought the hybrid and swapped a lot of parts over. It wasn't bad, but a true cross bike is night and day difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
... It actually does pay off when you find shops that aren't just tourist traps, but actually give a shit about the locals that wish to build a relationship with them as well.
There's an old saying...you don't buy a bike, you buy a bike shop
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Okay, so I need some advice.

I've been talking with various friends who ride and they're claiming that an entry level road bike would be a better way to get in more miles per week, and thus increase my cardio level faster. The argument is that with MTB, there are many times you'll go from putting out everything you can power wise to crest a climb, only to coast down the other side, then repeat. Wheres for the most part, in road biking, you're spinning a lot more. So does that sound like truth, or BS? I realize a lot of pro atheletes, moto guys included, all road bike for cardio, and not MTB.

The biggest thing for me would be hammering out more miles, we have a 6 mile greenway here that would be a perfect way to get started in road biking without being freaked out about interacting with traffic on our curvy mtn roads (my biggest fear on a bicycle). I realized I could swap tires around on the MTB as needed, but having done that on motorcycles in the past, it's a PITA to me to be honest and I'd rather just have another bike ready to go if I'm going to put in miles on the pavement. Also, with how the wrist feels today, I doubt there's any MTB'ing happening in the next couple weeks, but I think I could pound out some miles on a smooth surface just fine.

I've been considering buying a new fork for the MTB, but now I'm considering putting that off till next season, and looking at a road bike instead. Thoughts and opinions are needed and encouraged. Also, I've been told the fitness from the road bike would help my MTB'ing considerably as well.
A saying I've heard a lot... People who only MTB have no legs, people who only road bike have no soul.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
A saying I've heard a lot... People who only MTB have no legs, people who only road bike have no soul.

that explains why I always feel like a Zombie when I haven't ridden in a while
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
There's an old saying...you don't buy a bike, you buy a bike shop
That's a pretty good adage I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post

I gotta remember that one, that's fantastic. I think I've pretty much made up my mind to take the plunge, gonna go have my usual after work beer and talk price with the LBS after work.

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot they close early on Wednesday to go ride or have a life of their own or something stupid. Oh well, tomorrow then.

Last edited by hpiguy; 05-07-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
So I have an idea on lights for night riding...
Nite Rider MiNewt Mini for the helmet, nice light, small, low profile (doesnt' hang up on low trees as easy) NiteRiderMiNewt Mini.350-USB & Plus | NiteRider

Magic SHine for the bars, buy the helmet mount and extension wire just in case. MJ-808L Magicshine 1200 lumen bike light | Magicshine USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
Just signed up on Strava. Here's the route I did today with 2900 ft of climbing. Had a 18% downgrade at one point around 19 miles. Super fun downhill! My legs feel like jello.!!
The climb is just as important (and fun) or more.

Quote:
2900ft, holy shit! ...Even if I struggle, at least it breaks the monotony of the same old thing.
Good to mix up trails for interest and to improve bike handling skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
If you're strong enough to push a 1x10 setup I highly suggest it. I wont go back! Cleans everything up and drops some weight.
x2, although some places here are steep for that. I like 2x9 with bashguard on my hardtail MTB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
Nice bikes guys me and my wife just got into riding. I orignally got a trek excaliber 7...keep it for a few weeks and traded it in for my and my wife something we could both enjoy now she has a trek neko s and I got the trek ds 8.3 matte olive green of course
Cool, ride them regularly and repeat.

Quote:
Nothing makes my Monday go by faster than a lunchtime MTB ride
Also got the Wife out for a 10mi loop at one of the local coastal parks this weekend. Always love it when she asks to go ride, I've learned not to push her to do it and she has a much better time
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
you lucky guy you!!!!

Since I sold my garmin and I currently have no way of tracking my rides to share, I'm going to post a few of the rides that did get on the Garmin last year and year before.

If anyone is ever in my area, bring your bike and hit me up, I have a few good rides, road and MTB up my sleeve to share with anyone.

here are a few significant rides from when I was doing some Death Ride training.

worlds most beautiful ride of course

Uh, where are all the Road riders... crickets crickets... hollaaaaaa!!!!!
Schweet! Reporting for duty, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I have a 2x10 currently and really only use the small ring on the super steep stuff. I bit the bullet today and ordered a Race Face narrow wide ring. Looking forward to trying it out.
You can always swap back and there's no shame in walking sometimes until you work up to it.

Quote:
that sucks... I hate being sore from crashing, I'd rather be sore from riding hard..LOL

I have a strict rule about my pre-ride nutrition... not too much fat, no sugary snacks, no alcohol, and no whacky tabacky... messes up my ability to zen out and focus on my environment.

After the ride it's a little less strict of course...
Precisely.

Quote:
Ill jump on a cross bike occasionally I just cant stay off the dirt!
Lately I've been thinking I need one of those too.

Quote:

Hey, I've got one of those too... bring it up to Sac, cross riding is great around here. The black C-Dale frame in the pics I posted is cross frame / Easton Fork. Let's see your dismount technique

That's Uber cool.

sniff sniff, that first pic smells like familiar dirt, is that from the 916?
I was thinking same....I know that spot.

Quote:
What gearing are you running? I've thought of looking into a 2X setup when I finally get a new bike, but now you have me wondering.
Do eet....3x is meh, heavy, finicky front derailler adjustment, drops chain more, unnecessary, requires longer cage rear derailler that gets bent easier.

Quote:
Okay, so I need some advice.

I've been talking with various friends who ride and they're claiming that an entry level road bike would be a better way to get in more miles per week, and thus increase my cardio level faster. The argument is that with MTB, there are many times you'll go from putting out everything you can power wise to crest a climb, only to coast down the other side, then repeat. Wheres for the most part, in road biking, you're spinning a lot more. So does that sound like truth, or BS? I realize a lot of pro atheletes, moto guys included, all road bike for cardio, and not MTB.

The biggest thing for me would be hammering out more miles, we have a 6 mile greenway here that would be a perfect way to get started in road biking without being freaked out about interacting with traffic on our curvy mtn roads (my biggest fear on a bicycle). I realized I could swap tires around on the MTB as needed, but having done that on motorcycles in the past, it's a PITA to me to be honest and I'd rather just have another bike ready to go if I'm going to put in miles on the pavement. Also, with how the wrist feels today, I doubt there's any MTB'ing happening in the next couple weeks, but I think I could pound out some miles on a smooth surface just fine.

I've been considering buying a new fork for the MTB, but now I'm considering putting that off till next season, and looking at a road bike instead. Thoughts and opinions are needed and encouraged. Also, I've been told the fitness from the road bike would help my MTB'ing considerably as well.
I would and did just buy a road bike. Swapping wheels and/or tires gets old especially when you ride a lot.

Quote:
When I was racing, almost all training was done on a road bike. Just about everyone I raced with trained on the road...

But it's not just about pounding out miles. You can't compare road miles to dirt miles since they are not the same. I never (still don't) ran a bike computer...just my watch. I would ride for time. My MTB races would be in the 4-5 hour range, so that's how I trained on the road.

Since you're already apprehensive about riding in traffic, I would suggest you get a set of slicks first. This way you're on a familiar bike instead of of something completely foreign. Tires really aren't hard to change. If you like pavement, go rent a road bike for the day...$25 is cheap insurance to find out if you like road bikes...they aren't for everyone, although I couldn't imagine life without one.
This. Yes a road bike rental for couple hours is great way to test.

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate and value the advice. I went by my LBS on the way home and talked to them. They're going to set me up with a demo bike for next Tuesday evening's beginners group road ride so I can give it a try (going in after work Monday to get it fit to me, and loaner pedals put on so I can run my MTB shoes). My LBS is ran by really great people, I just can't say enough good things about them, seriously!

There was also a younger guy there that pretty much has the same background as me (Moto X, sport bikes, etc), who also started with mountain biking, then bought a road bike and he said he loves both now, and wouldn't be without either one at this point. I was also informed by a guy that owns the outdoor shop / hikers supply next door who's ridden all over the US, that our area is very bicycle friendly, and that he thinks I'll acclimate very quickly. I'm excited to try something in the cycling world I've never even tried, even when I worked in the industry.

The wrist feels a lot better also. I started about lunchtime today with some mild stretching, and progressed throught the day to the point I have almost full ROM now, just a bit sore.
Cool, good sounding shop, those are hard to find. Good on your wrist, stretching and nutrition and walks at work during break (not sittin on azz in break room or at your desk) are better for you than most people think.

Quote:
Oh man, I thought you'd never ask... the absolute truth is, a resounding yes!!!! Ask Natedog. He is a walking case study (I hope you don't mind me putting you out there buddy) to exactly what you just asked / said. He first bought a MTB, then eventually a road bike after having the same question. If you don't like roads & cars, stay on the green belt or trails if you have them nearby, and Like CHUD says, ride for time. 90 minutes is a good place to start.

Having a road bike (that you are comfortable on) will improve your riding in ways you can't imagine. It will improve your bike handling skills, for MTB, it will build your aerobic capacity exponentially, increase power and stamina...Maybe even consider a Cross bike that does both really well. They tend to have a shorter cockpit,which translates into a slightly more upright riding position, which will be more comfortable for you.

I've been in the biking and fitness industry practically all my life, and when I was at the retail level, my primary goal was to get to know the goals of each and every customer to best suit them to a bike, not just sell them a bike, but to sell them my experience and knowledge to reach their goals.. anyway, in most cases this was the approach I recommended. The reality is, having two bikes is kind of needed.
Yes, no problem buddy and totally agree! I took plunge and bought roadbike couple years ago after several years of mtb and different bikes. I knew it would be good training (and low impact) for me, if I really didn't like it, I could sell it....I love it! Really makes me want to do more climbs and just get down in the drops and crank it! When you think you can't go any faster, shift down to smaller cog and do it....pedal smooth CIRCLES.

We are blessed with some of the best greenbelt bike paths that run for miles!

Quote:
Ha ha, thanks rockhugger. I appreciate all your advice also. I'm a huge proponent of buying local most of the time, for my own reasons. It actually does pay off when you find shops that aren't just tourist traps, but actually give a shit about the locals that wish to build a relationship with them as well. The LBS for example not only does not discourage having a beer, but jokingly will tell you it's almost required for hanging out. They also keep a variety of homemade beef jerky and other good snacks on the counter for customers as well. It's a husband / wife that own and operate the shop, and they moved here for the riding, and you can tell they are all about the sport and want people to feel comfortable and at home in their business. Having them to motivate me and get me involved in other aspects of cycling definitely goes a long way. I can't go in there without killing an hour or so just standing around BS'ing.
Totally agree here, but if you're trying to lose weight watch the number of beeers and cookies.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
It's not the low range I'm concerned with, it' the top speed. I'm concerned with a 1X not having a tall enough combination if it's also geared for climbing. I used to ride with a group from work on Thursday nights. My bike is old but geared tall, and they were all taking their big rings off to put bash guards on. On the downhills, I was able to pull away pedaling while they had to tuck and coast.
My rear hub is really good for coasting so I can just lean way back over the rear tire and I can pass my friend who has to pedal to keep up. I just want to get a 34 tooth for the front because I'm tired of having to hike a bike up climbs I know I can make. You could always go with a Regular 10 speed cassette modified with one of the new 42 or 40 tooth rings that a couple of companies are offering. All you have to do is remove one of the gears, the 17 tooth if I remember correctly, and then put the new 40 or 42 on. Just make sure your rear derailleur can handle it.

Something like this:

42T GC cog for Shimano – wolftoothcomponents.com

Or this:

One Up Components Adds 40-Tooth Replacement Cassette Cog

These are just the first two results I clicked on just so there would be an example. Google and some time are your friend when it comes to finding a deal on parts.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #68
No idea what I'm doing

I'm still interested in the top end. Right now my tallest combo is 46/11. I don't want to go much lower, but everything I see is in the 36-38 tooth range for the front. Even with a 10t cog, that's still lower than I want.

My setup is the old school setup before microdrive. I always hated microdrive because of the gearing restrictions it came with. It looks like that's all there is now.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Assuming you cranks use a 104mm 4 bolt pattern:

Race Face Narrow Wide Single Chainring | Chain Reaction Cycles
E Thirteen G-Ring Single Chainring | Chain Reaction Cycles
FSA DH Alloy CNC Chainring 3mm | Chain Reaction Cycles
Blackspire Epic Downhill 6061 Series | Chain Reaction Cycles

Or Jenson if you don't want to wait that long for cutoms:
Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Just look for DH style chain rings. They don't have ramps and will keep the chain on a little better.

And I got my Atlas brace today too. Now I'm just waiting for photobucket to quit being a pain in the ass.

Edit, photobucket finally went through.

Last edited by OTHGbronco82; 05-07-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm still interested in the top end. Right now my tallest combo is 46/11. I don't want to go much lower, but everything I see is in the 36-38 tooth range for the front. Even with a 10t cog, that's still lower than I want.

My setup is the old school setup before microdrive. I always hated microdrive because of the gearing restrictions it came with. It looks like that's all there is now.
Yes swap big cog for bigger cog, swap chainrings as needed and enjoy. Definitely get chainring without shift ramps/pins for 1x anything setup.

9speed cassette is the most I want on mtb, 10 and up is not durable enough (add in the dirt and debris too), wears out too fast, more adjustment pita too. I'll go 2x9 mtb and 2x10 road.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Just got done with a ride. And I added an avatar photo.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Early evening ride near Walnut | Times and Records | Strava
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #72
RCC Addict

Great thread guys!

Here's my trail shredder built from the frame up:

Trance X
Fox Float 32 140
Sun Charger hoops with Swabble rubber
1 x 9 (w/ mrp chainguide)
Sram X9 and XO components
Thomspon
blah, blah, blah..

The 1x9 is perfect for me. I can ride anything Vermont has to offer. Super fun trail rig.

This is just my trail bike. Also own a SantaCruz rigid Single-speed (1998!), On One fix gear, Bianchi Valle commuter.

Mountain biking is the bestest...
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #73
No idea what I'm doing

I miss riding in Vermont. I love riding in Colorado, but Vermont is definitely a different animal.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
I miss riding in Vermont. I love riding in Colorado, but Vermont is definitely a different animal.
Yes, I rode out in Co years ago... different trails texture for sure. I like the texture of VT's singletrack.

I'm heading to Waterbury (Perry Hill) on Sunday. One of my favorite rides. 2.5 miles up gnarly single-track, and super tech / fast down. Haven't done Waterbury this season yet, so I will definitely sucking wind...
Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #75
No idea what I'm doing

One of my favorite places was Mount Snow. A buddy and I stopped at this little bike shop just south of the ski area one day...this was the early 90's. We visited with this crazy chick who worked there named Missy. Talked for about half an hour.

Later when I moved to Colorado, the newest downhill sensation was this crazy rider named Missy Giove. I was like, "Hey, I know that chick"!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
One of my favorite places was Mount Snow. A buddy and I stopped at this little bike shop just south of the ski area one day...this was the early 90's. We visited with this crazy chick who worked there named Missy. Talked for about half an hour.

Later when I moved to Colorado, the newest downhill sensation was this crazy rider named Missy Giove. I was like, "Hey, I know that chick"!
I remember when she mooned the crowd (at I believe Sea Otter) in dual slalom back in the late 90s. Love her.

She was working with Giant Bicycles for a while when I was working at the branding firm that rebranded Giant (Ride Life) years ago. We did a photoshoot with her. Super cool still.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Here's mine:

'12 SL2

This thing has been seeing most duty as a commuter bike for me lately (~50mi/wk).....so I hope to soon pick up a Cyclocross bike for that.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #78

Here's my 16"salsa big mama I love it, great bik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cb44v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #79
Im Brandon

Just digging through some old photos
Attached Images

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Good stuff guys! Headed for my road demo ride in just a few, I'll post my thoughts afterwards.

Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official WiRCRC Chit Chat R/CMaxximus5.0 Wisconsin 3168 09-01-2023 09:04 PM
Mountain biking adamargue Chit Chat 30 09-09-2013 09:01 PM
Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread Ced RC Illinois 1022 09-18-2010 07:12 AM