Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: ebay question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default ebay question.

I have an item listed on ebay with a $500 buy it now.

I got a question from an ebay user with zero feedback asking if I'd take $600 via Western Union's secure payment and ship priority.

Is this legit? Any scams out there of this sort?

The reason I ask is the fact that he has zero feedback and is offering more than the BIN price.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds fishy to me. I'd be sure I had the money in my hand before it shipped. Then ship it overnight since he wants to give you an extra $100
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
I have an item listed on ebay with a $500 buy it now.

I got a question from an ebay user with zero feedback asking if I'd take $600 via Western Union's secure payment and ship priority.

Is this legit? Any scams out there of this sort?

The reason I ask is the fact that he has zero feedback and is offering more than the BIN price.
Yeah that does not sound right to me. Ask him why he is willing to pay more then the BIN price.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Kind of sounds like the scam from the foreign people asking to buy something from you and then they pay you like $2000 more, and your supposed to give the extra money to the shipping company or something stupid like that.

I'd tell them you will only go through Ebay. Because if you do it outside of ebay, and you get screwed, you have nothing to back you up.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

i know it's outside of ebay...but it's legit...i mean...MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MONEY first...thats the only problem...if he ends up not sending money...your out so much for the listing fee...so it's legit...just make sure u got the money in your hand before you ship it...and if he says priority shipping or w/e...ship it that way...but it's legit...just make sure u get the money before you ship...lol
RevoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoMania
i know it's outside of ebay...but it's legit...i mean...MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MONEY first...thats the only problem...if he ends up not sending money...your out so much for the listing fee...so it's legit...just make sure u got the money in your hand before you ship it...and if he says priority shipping or w/e...ship it that way...but it's legit...just make sure u get the money before you ship...lol
Yeah, because otherwise it'd be stealing, and stealing is wrong
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

ha funny!...lol
Old 01-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
Yeah, because otherwise it'd be stealing, and stealing is wrong
It's all so confusing!

Yeah, I mean Western Union is cash in hand. I just found it odd that he offered over the BIN price and such.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

hey look at it this way...more the marrier...lol
Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 PM   #10
Ace
Rock Crawler

I'd tell him $550 paypalled or $550 US Postal money order or kiss your ass, his choice.

If he's that desperate, then he can darn sure use paypal.

My alarm bells are going off on this one.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The Internet has stories about counterfeited money orders being printed up overseas that look real. The money orders look so real that your bank will say nothing is wrong with it. It sometimes takes up to six months before your Bank comes back and pulls the funds out of your account. This is a big scam that is usually done with cars in the $5000 to $8000 range. I saw something on the local television about a month ago advising people to beware of these scams. They always offer to pay you more money than you are offering just to get you to take the bait.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/3986449/detail.html

You have been warned! ;)

PS. Call Western Union to see whom do they come after if they are ripped off. If this “buyer” pays by money order and WU sends you cash, will they come after you if the money order “bounces” six months or so from now? If you can get a signed statement from WU saying it’s OK with them getting burned and they won’t come after you. Then Go for it.

Last edited by BultacoJim; 01-26-2005 at 09:16 PM.
BultacoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

i had NO idea of this...it would be very easy to do...lol...you would have to be able to change the amount some how on your computer...but i'm sure it's easy...i've made duplicates of those little tags that used to come on old cars that said "this is an OK used car"...i couldn't tell the difference...well i guess just watch out...better make it paypal only tho for him...MO or check...your likely to get screwed
Old 01-27-2005, 01:25 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Now I'm confused....Just tell him to send the money and once you have the money you will ship it..It's that easy. If his doesn't agree no deal. Don't negotiate your terms be direct with him most scammers will back out or start bull shitting you when your direct with them. The worst that could hapen is you get an extra $100.00. This should be a no brainer but just incase ALWAYS ship with tracing and insurance never ship without it because it is what will cover your ass. NOW GO GET THAT EXTRA $100.00 and send me $50 if it works out.

PS: Last time I used western uniun (it has been a while) they only accepted cash so you can't rip them off.

Last edited by BigBoy; 01-27-2005 at 01:27 AM.
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote