Notices

Thread: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #321
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
While any tire and rim might be seal up via a ghetto tubeless setup, keep in mind you are not making them tubeless as they were never designed to be. Factory tubeless tires and rims are designed that way from the factory not only to help them seal up, but have a different bead shape on the tire, and bead channel on the rim for safety reasons. Rolling a tire off the bead at high speed on a MTB would suck, but doing so on a road bike on one of our mountain descents could be a death sentence, literally. Spend the money and do it right, or stick to tubes is my advice having been down the ghetto tubeless road before.
X1000, I've setup some WTB MTB wheels ghetto tubeless and although they have better bead socket on the rims than most, I didn't like it. Also the sealant that got on my hands setting them up burned and dried out my skin a lot, thought about having to swap to tube on trail and possibility of tire rolling off rim, said fawk it and went back to cheap easy low maintenance tubes for now.

BTW, sweet Specialized road, commuter, gravel etc. bike.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #322
Rock Crawler

Thanks Nate, enjoying the heck out of this thing.

Got the CG-R seat post and it makes a difference for sure. Also put on some more aggressive knobby tires and it helped too. Went out for a spin today...

gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #323
Quarry Creeper

Well, road group rides started today, like it or not. No Tuesday group this year either, you can come hammer with the Wednesday group, or not. I've been riding my single speed MTB a LOT, and I struggled on the way home to not get dropped. We all agreed, it's the first ride of the year, we're gonna take it easy they said. Yeah, that shit lasted about 6 miles, the next 16 miles were all in the pain cave.

Katie's Falls

Post ride beers at the LBS

Post ride Sinatra burger

Strava, forgot to start my Garmin as usual, started it a mile in.

hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #324
Quarry Creeper

For those that haven't seen it, relive.cc is pretty cool. You link your Strava account, and once you upload an activity, you get a 3D map overlay of your ride.

https://www.relive.cc/view/969927495

Last edited by hpiguy; 05-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #325
Quarry Creeper

Work has been really busy the past couple months and the weather has sucked too. Just started getting back out on the road bike last week. Figured yesterday was a good day to tackle a climb I haven't done. Weather was perfect, and it's good to be back in the saddle.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #326
Rock Crawler

Hey everyone, thought I would say hello to start with. Just found this section digging around yesterday. Somewhat new to rcc but not new to rc's. Love riding, its my fav thing to truly do. I ride mountain and road. It's always better when i ride with friends. My boy is starting to pick up mountain biking as of last year, he has a hard time riding. So we just enjoy the fun and do what we can. In the mean time I'll try reading more in the section on the forums
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party Tupers Chit Chat 16 06-27-2014 11:21 AM
Never seen a road bike ridden like a trails bike before TSK Chit Chat 5 11-20-2013 08:59 AM
Any road cycling fans? ecoli Chit Chat 11 07-08-2009 09:38 AM