Notices

Thread: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
So who biked to work today? Or is that just a Colorado event?

Home | Bike to Work
I would have, but my bike is further away than my home office... I may just roll out to get some free swag!!!
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
So who biked to work today? Or is that just a Colorado event?

Home | Bike to Work
We have bike to work day in May to coincide with "May is Bike Month"

Sacramento Region May is Bike Month 2014
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

No riding again yesterday, tired of this friggin' rain everyday. I really need a good ride to clear my head, going to try and get out early before the storms on Sunday for a long one.

EDIT: I think I'm going to change my pedal setup on the road bike soon also, to a more dedicated road setup.

Last edited by hpiguy; 06-26-2014 at 12:20 PM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
No riding again yesterday, tired of this friggin' rain everyday. I really need a good ride to clear my head, going to try and get out early before the storms on Sunday for a long one.

EDIT: I think I'm going to change my pedal setup on the road bike soon also, to a more dedicated road setup.
You're sounding like a cycling junkie . What pedals are you considering?

I'm using Shimano SPD SL and like them very much, but wouldn't consider anything lower than 105 level. Look Keo's are nice also, but the Shimano has a more substantial cleat platform IMO.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
You're sounding like a cycling junkie . What pedals are you considering?

I'm using Shimano SPD SL and like them very much, but wouldn't consider anything lower than 105 level. Look Keo's are nice also, but the Shimano has a more substantial cleat platform IMO.
LOL, funny you mention that. I used to get cranky if I couldn't get in some moto time at least every couple days or so. Now, the moto hasn't been really ridden in three weeks, but I'm pissed if I can't ride a bicycle 3-4 days a week.

The shop owner recommended the 105's actually. But I have some knee issues, and don't care for the forced centering on Shimano's, so I'm looking at Looks and the 9deg cleats and figure I'll be happy. The only holdup is I'll have to buy new shoes too, so it's gonna have to wait a bit as I just bought some new hiking gear today.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #46
RCC Addict

The looks are going to be the same as the shimanos as far as centering action. I've got float cleats on mine (don't remember if they came with float or non float) but, ask him about speedplay pedals, more float and no center. I've run look, speeds, and now shimano. It's been 10 yrs since I've run SP's, definately take a look at those though.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I wasn't aware of that rockhugger, thanks. Went back by the shop after work for a beer, and turns out they had a bike on consignment for a friend of the owner. The shoes and pedals (nashbar look knockoff) look brand new, and they're my size and I'm getting a helluva deal on them so I'm going that route for now. Road bike ride with the owner Saturday also, I gotta get up really early though, and I'm sure the group is going to punish me for missing last night.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Default The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

If y'all get a chance, check out the speedplay's. Best pedals money can buy for roadies IMHO. Clip in lightning fast, uber adjustable, grease-able, etc.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Well, drug my ass out at 6AM today to get in an 8AM ride. The new shoes and pedals made a HUGE difference, no more calf cramps, and I can finally stand and climb to give other muscles a rest. I did much better all around, and didn't have to quit on any of the climbs today, even the long one I walked some of last week. I'm finally learning to back off and let the other guys go at the bottom, and just crank it out at my own pace to the top so I don't blow up early and have to stop. Had my first flat today too, along with some chain issues. I love the loop we did today, lots of climbing (for me anyway), but a great area to ride through. Such a great way to start a Saturday off!

It was cool and foggy here in the Smokies this morning

Today was all about rollers

Last edited by hpiguy; 06-28-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #50
RCC Addict

shoot, that looks like a sweet ride. it was worth it to get up early, It looks you live, or at least started at elevation today.. that's lucky.
I tried to get up early and ride before the heat today, but could not wake my arse up It's much more motivating when meeting a group.

Rock on!!!

Other good news, I've not had the urge for a cigarette since you started your other thread about getting back on your MTB.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

rockhugger, it was definitely worth it. It's tough to drag your butt out of bed early sometimes to suffer on the bike, I can relate. I do live at mild elevation, around 2100ft average, and there's no such thing as a flat ride around here. I'm really thankful to have such a great group of people to ride with, and I tell them that often, and it helps with motivation a lot.

That's fantastic!! Congrats man, I'm proud of you!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #52
RCC Addict

thanks, my association with smokes was mostly social smoking, but still it just did not mix with my preferred lifestyle. I'd say 7 out of 10 of my friends are smokers so it takes a lot of will power...

I did get out for a ride today, it was in the hottest part of the day which in these parts means bad air quality... it pretty much zaps your ambition and energy, I was trying to avoid that but oh well.. I just took it easy and did not dig, mostly spun and looked at girls in bikinis along the river, then again at the lake where I refill my beer bottles, I mean H2o bottles
lotsa girls today.... Heyohhhh!!!

My riding sucked today, but at least I went:

Rode 31.74 mi on 6/28/14 on 06/28/2014 | CYCLING Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

this is just a screen shot of the map, I'm giving this a try since I can't embed from MMR.

screen of ride

A few photos from the trail approaching Folsom Dam, also Folsom Prison.

photo

Or a chain link fence if you want to see it that way.

photo

Last edited by rockhugger; 06-28-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

^^That is some kick ass scenery and history Brian!

I'm leaving for the holiday weekend tomorrow, so I got in a road ride tonight since I'll miss the Wednesday ride this week. It was right at 90 degrees when we rolled out, and I figured it would be rough. But, ended up setting a new PR on that loop, only two of us made it out today compared to the usual 7-9 people.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Hey guys. Just thought I'd share this. It probably doesn't amount to much, but it matters to me. I will be riding the 'Triple Bypass' on July 12th. It's a 120 mile supported ride with 10.5K of Vertical Climbing. I've decided to do the ride in honor of those who have fallen to protect and serve a country that is falling apart. I come from a family of servicemen and women. I would have served myself if it weren't for my asthma. My oldest daughter is shipping out to basic in August to become a LPN in the Reserves. I am VERY proud of her decision to serve her country. Anyway, I just thought I'd share. I have never 'dedicated' a ride to anything, so this will be a first for me. And again, I know it won't amount to much, but it's something that matters to me.

The idea came to me when I was looking for jerseys on eBay. I typically won't spend more than $30 on a jersey. The jersey that gave me the idea, and the jersey that I will wear for the ride, is hands down the most I've ever spent on a jersey.

Here's the details on the Triple Bypass ride, put on by Team Evergreen.

And here is the route... (click here to view the route on Team Evergreen's website)

And here's some pictures of the jersey. It's supposed to be here on the 8th. That should be enough buffer for it to be here before the ride.

I've been training as much as I can. Tomorrow, I'm going to hit the road for 80 miles with about 5.3K of vertical. I've rode the Triple Bypass twice now, so I know that even this training ride will pale in comparison to the actual ride. Still, it will be an absolutely beautiful ride.

Click here map to see the actual 'route' on Strava.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

^^Brian, that's kick ass!!

Now that I know the difference that dedicated road shoes / pedals make, I splurged and picked up a decent set of pedals. I've been riding Look knockoffs, so the transition should be smooth, and my shoes are fine.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

So while I was home over the holiday weekend, my parents watched some of the TDF with me. They know I ride Trek bikes, and pull for the Trek factory team. So I get home today, and there's a package waiting on my porch. I don't remember buying anything, and I open it to find this. My Mom calls and asks if I got my package, and tells me how proud they are of me for quitting smoking, and trying to be healthier. I think my parents should be renamed Mr. and Mrs. awesome!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Your parents are awesome.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #58
No idea what I'm doing

Very nice! So is anyone else watching? Thoughts on Cavendish? The Cobblestone stage from today?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Thanks fellas, I was pretty pumped when I opened it. I don't have access to the coverage here at home. (leaves to sob himself to sleep.)
Old 07-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Quote:
Very nice! So is anyone else watching? Thoughts on Cavendish? The Cobblestone stage from today?
I'm watching bits and pieces. I'll try to keep my answer short.

My thoughts in short on Cavendish are, he is generally a decent sportsman, but seems like a moody bitch who is easily excitable. In his own words "I went for a gap that I knew wasn't there" says a lot about his impulsiveness as a sprinter. I think he lacks the ability to think on his feet under pressure, and in the heat of the battle. When things are not just perfect for him, he acts out in aggression, or gets upset. As a sprinter he doesn't have the steel like a Kelly, or Jalabert . To me it has always seemed like he doesn't like being a sprinter, but he was gifted with the jump, and speed... and that is it.

I don't know that I'd go as far as to say it was deliberate, but Kristoff was on the ground level and saw more than any of us, so who knows.

About the Cobblestones, well, Epic, Belgium in the rain, with cobbles is not a day for the ladies.
http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/...odiumGirls.jpg

The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party Tupers Chit Chat 16 06-27-2014 11:21 AM
Never seen a road bike ridden like a trails bike before TSK Chit Chat 5 11-20-2013 08:59 AM
Any road cycling fans? ecoli Chit Chat 11 07-08-2009 09:38 AM