Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

My frame is pretty damn comfortable, but I like the concept and might have to try it. I expect a full review.

Side note:
I kid with my riding buddies who've known me since I was a junior, about when I get so old that I have to swap out my standard crank to a compact, and get a cushy suspension post, maybe some big cushy Gel bar tape . I'll have to relinquish my "Race" position at some point I guess. Since my hair is already gone, it's the only thing from my youth I'm clinging too.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

I wll definitely give a full review once I get some time on it.

LOL, hey I have a compact setup dammit, and cushy tires, and a suspension seatpost on the way....

I went to the shop today and picked up some 25c tires, so I can run them at lower pressure. Man what a difference in not only ride quality, but grip and cornering also (which makes perfect sense logically). I'll never run a 23c tire again, unless it's an emergency.

I had to work over this evening, so I missed my group ride. So, I went out alone and frustrated, and poured all that into the pedals, and I did okay.

Also, this spot was just begging for a photo, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by hpiguy; 07-30-2014 at 07:01 PM.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

My bike stand showed up today, makes cleaning and maintaining my rides much easier.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

What kind of stand did you go with? Park tools? I just know I'm going to drop my bike one of these days working on it without a proper stand.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
fourxfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post

LOL, hey I have a compact setup dammit, and cushy tires, and a suspension seatpost on the way....

I went to the shop today and picked up some 25c tires, so I can run them at lower pressure. Man what a difference in not only ride quality, but grip and cornering also (which makes perfect sense logically). I'll never run a 23c tire again, unless it's an emergency.

I had to work over this evening, so I missed my group ride. So, I went out alone and frustrated, and poured all that into the pedals, and I did okay.

great pics.

I was reading somewhere just this week that there was a study showing 25c's are faster then 23c's. I'm with ya on the fatter, uh' wider tires. I have a fairly wide 23c now, but next time I buy tires they'll be 25's - I already run them in the winter and on fixed gear (winter bike).
Old 08-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Tough loop this morning, I couldn't even finish one of the climbs (5 miles long), but I survived most of it anyway.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did a little digging and found what videos I could, and some reading.

Agreed, not a fan of Cavendish and the wreck was 100% his own doing. "I went for a gap that wasn't there." That's basically saying I tried to bully the guy next to me but he wasn't having it, so I got fooked.

One thing that really annoys me is they dropped two sections of cobbles from yesterdays route. A lot of riders whine and bitch about the cobbles each year and I'm terrified that eventually our PC world will dilute the TDF to the point that the 400lbs guy on the Walmart bike will stand a good chance at winning since the entire tour will be 1.5 miles long, ending at a Starbucks. Seriously though, these are the best riders in the world; if they can't do it, then who can?

Reminds me of professional MX where you have again the best riders in the world that are paid millions of dollars per year and refuse to race the outdoor series. Why? In their own words, "Outdoors is brutal, too much risk." I personally would fire a rider for that BS. You represent us, not the other way around.
X2...and he admits to going for opening that wasnt' there? That almost guarantees that somebody's going down hard. Asphalt hurts.

Quote:
I was visiting my parents over the weekend, and took the road bike with me to work on climbing. Road by myself, and had a great time.

Beautiful terrain, thanks for the pics!

Quote:
Did the regular group ride tonight, but myself and a guy that was visiting from Colombia went a mile up the climb. Slowly working my way up to make it to the top. Riding again tomorrow night, more climbing. And oddly enough, I'm starting to like climbing.

I also really, REALLY want a 2015 Domane 4.3 disc, but I don't think it's in the cards. So I did the next best thing to take the edge off our rough ass roads, and ordered an Ergon CF3 seatpost. It's pretty interesting how it works. I'll let you guys know how I like it. New saddle that I'm demo'ing is going well also.
I have a long list of wants too, they're not all going to happen soon and some maybe never lol.

I like climbing too, used to like the downs better, but now I like them both...gotta earn the downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
My frame is pretty damn comfortable, but I like the concept and might have to try it. I expect a full review.

Side note:
I kid with my riding buddies who've known me since I was a junior, about when I get so old that I have to swap out my standard crank to a compact, and get a cushy suspension post, maybe some big cushy Gel bar tape . I'll have to relinquish my "Race" position at some point I guess. Since my hair is already gone, it's the only thing from my youth I'm clinging too.
x2. To the other stuff.

Quote:

I love my 700x25 tires, lots of traction and more cushy especially for those of us close to 200lbs. Here's a great tire for the money, I can't justify buying lighter and or pricier tire, because this works great and they all wear out...I just bought one to replace my worn out rear tire:

Specialized Bicycle Components

We'll need report on that post, I ride aluminum posts because I don't want to snap a CF. I've seen titanium and CF give up under strong and/or 200lb riders and it's not always pretty.

Quote:
My bike stand showed up today, makes cleaning and maintaining my rides much easier.
Bought my used old Park stand off CL, cleaned and lubed it and it's like new including the old RS Judy sticker lol. A good stand is mandatory if you're into bikes, great for wrenching, and washed mine on the stand yesterday!

Last edited by Natedog; 08-04-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Nate, this post is clydesdale rated at 220lbs, so it should be good (I'm 195lbs BTW). It was actually waiting on me when I got home yesterday, and I actually read the directions, and picked up a CDI cycling torque wrench for the job also so as not to void any warranty or more importantly damage anything.

First ride coming this evening!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Well, here's my initial report, which I'll update longterm.

I've had two rides back to back the past two days over the same route, which I know well as I ride it weekly. Right out of the gate on the first ride, I was kind of disappointed that the post really didn't feel all that cushy for lack of a better term. But, as the ride went on, I made it a point to hit bumps that I either normally avoid, or hover over my saddle for. And in doing so, as the ride went on, I forgot about what the post was or wasn't doing, and also stopped worrying about bumps as well and just rode. You still feel bumps through the saddle, it's not like you're magically floating over them, but the impact / jarring transmitted to your arse is greatly reduced and I think I feel fresher at the end of a ride due to that. So it's stiff enough to not give under hard efforts, yet yield on imacts basically. I think it was worth the cash, but time will tell.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the seatpost review, it would be interesting to do comparison vs carbon seatpost vs nice aluminum post.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Nate, I don't have all those posts nor wish to do all the swapping around to do that type of review, but this guy did just that.

Ergon CF-3 Pro Carbon Seat Post: Mid-Term | Gravel Grinder News

Ergon CF-3 Pro Carbon and Niner RDO Seatposts: Final Impressions | Gravel Grinder News
Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Well, it's been roughly two months on the road bike at this point. Did the normal Tuesday group ride tonight, as usual. The difference in how I feel is simply astonishing to me from when I started. I feel good now on the Tuesday ride, I feel strong, fast (for a noob anyway ) and in control. I now get up on the bars and push on the small climbs, stand if I need to to stay in the big ring and maintain a good pace, I attack the hill sprint pretty much every time too. I feel the best that I ever have in my whole life, no doubt about it. Getting back into cycling is the best decision I've ever made. I haven't touched the DRZ in two months, don't care if I ride it in the next two either. I love this shit! I even made the ultimate commitment to the sport last night, and shaved the guns (rule #33).

And I love the seatpost, I purposely hit some big holes tonight accidentally while looking back to keep tabs on the group, and it really deadens the impact, big time.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Damn roadies
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Ha ha, I still rock the black socks and shoes to reflect my MTB lineage.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Nice goin hpiguy. 2 months is not very long to see such great improvement. That's impressive, and a true testament to how resilient the body is. You've been super committed to your ride schedule which I think is half the battle.
Thanks for the intel on the seat post.

Awesome on the lightened (shaved) pistons. 🍺. Thats funny, I've always thought of arms as guns, legs as pistons since they power you down the road with a piston / crankshaft like motion.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Thanks rockhugger, it's from the tongue in cheek rules from the velominati, some of them are pretty darn funny. And I agree, arms are usually referred to as guns in most things in life.

Velominati › The Rules
Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Hpiguy, I know you don't have all those seatposts, just thought it would be interesting comparison from a regular guy, not some magazine/web bike guy who may or may not tell you to buy because carbon and titanium are good dontcha know? Thanks for the comparison link.

Good job on the commitment as Rockhugger said...do or do not, there is no try to ride and get (stay) in shape. I'll pass on shaving my legs, thanks lol.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ha ha, I still rock the black socks and shoes to reflect my MTB lineage.
Same here! I've got crank brothers candies too

fourxfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxfunk View Post
Same here! I've got crank brothers candies too

x2, Candies on roadbike with Specialized MTB shoes.

Acids on my MTBs.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

I ran egg beaters on the road bike with my MTB shoes when I first bought it. But having made the switch to dedicated road pedals and shoes, there is no comparison. My feet don't get hot spots on long rides now with the larger platform, and my legs don't cramp like they used to either. Much like saddles, it's a personal thing, and I don't commute or run errands on the bike, I just ride to ride.

The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party Tupers Chit Chat 16 06-27-2014 11:21 AM
Never seen a road bike ridden like a trails bike before TSK Chit Chat 5 11-20-2013 08:59 AM
Any road cycling fans? ecoli Chit Chat 11 07-08-2009 09:38 AM