Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

I know I'm not the only roadie here.

Be sure to post a link to your Strava account. Mine is here.

I don't have a very recent pic of my bike, so this will just have to do for now. It's a Litespeed Blade, equipped with Campagnolo Carbon Record 10s, Mavic Kysirum SL's, and various other goodies.

I haven't had my Strava account for long, and I just recently picked up a Garmin Edge 500. I think I'm off to a good start though. I would have rode 52 today, but it's a thunderstorm day...

TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

Brian, I'm a roadie as well as MTB so I guess I can post in this one too. Nice bike BTW, I'm jealous, they're made not far from here. Here's my road bike when it was new a few weeks ago. It's a Trek 1.5, added a Cromag Moon leather / Ti saddle since then and that's about it.

hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Brian, I'm a roadie as well as MTB so I guess I can post in this one too. Nice bike BTW, I'm jealous, they're made not far from here. Here's my road bike when it was new a few weeks ago. It's a Trek 1.5, added a Cromag Moon leather / Ti saddle since then and that's about it.
Nice! A good saddle is a must. I'm riding a Fizik Antares with Braided Carbon rails. It's stupid light, and really comfortable (once you're used to sitting on it, of course...). LOL

Do you have road shoes, or do you use your MTB shoes with the egg beaters? I used to ride those on my roadie when I had a MTB. I switched to road pedals eventually. The cleats distribute the pressure better, and my feet don't ache near as much on the longer rides. I was riding the 'Look' style pedals for a while (Mavic Race Pro's Pictured), but I just recently switched to Speedplay's. I had them before in the past, and I prefer them over everything I've tried, which includes nearly every pedal style out there over the years...

Do you use Strava? I'm finding the data that I get from it VERY useful, and challenging to boot. I'm my biggest competitor, and knowing what my best times are for sections of my rides is pushing me to ride faster and farther. I'm really liking it.

I have a meeting here in a few. When that's over, I'm going to head out for a quick thirty miles or so.

On a side note, what tires are you riding/do you prefer? I started riding on the Gatorskin Hardshell's. They are supposed to be thorn proof. I'm actually considering going out without a spare tube!!! I probably won't, but so far, they are holding up great. With the non-hardshell version of the Gatorskins, I would get a flat every one to two weeks... That may sound like a lot, but I ride a lot, and I am the guy that magically picks up thorns, metal shards, or whatever is lying in the road that is invisible to the naked eye... I probably put close to a couple of thousand on my last set of Gatorskins. They really hold up and handle well.

Here's the Gatorskin:

Here's the Gatorskin Hardshell:

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 06-12-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaleAddict View Post
Nice! A good saddle is a must. I'm riding a Fizik Antares with Braided Carbon rails. It's stupid light, and really comfortable (once you're used to sitting on it, of course...). LOL

Do you have road shoes, or do you use your MTB shoes with the egg beaters? I used to ride those on my roadie when I had a MTB. I switched to road pedals eventually. The cleats distribute the pressure better, and my feet don't ache near as much on the longer rides. I was riding the 'Look' style pedals for a while (Mavic Race Pro's Pictured), but I just recently switched to Speedplay's. I had them before in the past, and I prefer them over everything I've tried, which includes nearly every pedal style out there over the years...
I use my MTB shoes. I used to have knee issues when I rode Shimano pedals, but the Crank Bros have enough float that the knees (not anything else) don't bother me anymore. Plus, since I ride multiple bikes I like to keep my foot position consistent between them, and using only one pair of shoes makes that easier.

Quote:
Do you use Strava? I'm finding the data that I get from it VERY useful, and challenging to boot. I'm my biggest competitor, and knowing what my best times are for sections of my rides is pushing me to ride faster and farther. I'm really liking it.
I do use Strava, and just bought myself a Garmin 310xt as well so I can use Garmin Connect as well. I just got back into riding after a 10 year hiatus and smoking for 20+ years, so right now I'm just building the legs and lungs up. Working on PR's will come later.

Quote:
On a side note, what tires are you riding/do you prefer? I started riding on the Gatorskin Hardshell's. They are supposed to be thorn proof. I'm actually considering going out without a spare tube!!! I probably won't, but so far, they are holding up great. With the non-hardshell version of the Gatorskins, I would get a flat every one to two weeks... That may sound like a lot, but I ride a lot, and I am the guy that magically picks up thorns, metal shards, or whatever is lying in the road that is invisible to the naked eye... I probably put close to a couple of thousand on my last set of Gatorskins. They really hold up and handle well.
Whatever came stock on it for now, I'm not fast enough / skilled enough to exceed what they can do yet so I'll upgrade when I do. On the other hand if I had flats all the time, I'd be upgrading ASAP. I'll look into those when these wear out otherwise.

Do you still MTB at all? I like doing both, and feel that the road bike has helped tons with my overall leg strength and endurance on the MTB. And the MTB I think helps with explosive power (sprints, short hills) and good bike handling skills.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread

I don't presently own a MTB. For me to go ride on a decent trail, I'd have to drive a minimum of an hour. If I lived closer to some good single track, I'd get back into it. Presently, road cycling is consuming plenty of time in addition to my RC 'habit'. ;)

I just got back from a 37 mile ride. My chain broke while I was standing and crankin hard. I went over the bars and ate white hard... Pretty lame. Bike came out ok. Had a brand new pair of Sidi's on. Schffed them up pretty good. So much for having 'new' shoes. LOL

Here's a pic from one o my ride 'peaks'.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 06-12-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had the same thing happen years ago on a mountain bike, crazy how your own momentum can throw you that hard huh? Glad you're OK though.

I'm still not set on my current saddle (I have numbness in the squishy bits after about 15 miles or so), but the shop is going to let me demo saddles until I find one that suits me. The local shop owners (husband and wife) have been awesome at helping me get back into the sport, and they're the reason I bought a road bike to be honest. They took me on a group ride, fit a loaner bike to me, put pedals on it, and took me road riding to see if I'd like it. Turns out I loved it too, just like MTB. I'm about to start riding even more with them for training in preparation for a personal goal I set for a benefit ride this fall. I've actually become really good friends with both of them, and have a great group to ride with as well as motivate me.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
RCC Addict

It's pretty nuts. When the chain let loose, my sternum slammed into the handlebars, what must have been a spectacular summersault ensued... LOL

It may not be just the saddle. It takes a bunch of miles to condition ones 'parts'. It also helps to wear bibs instead of shorts. Well... I think it does anyway.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

When my chain let go, my knee slammed into the stem and laid it open pretty good. LOL I've been back on the bikes for about two months now, and I also ride motorcycle a lot, so I'd say my backside is pretty well conditioned to putting in miles on various two wheeled things. I know cycling puts you in different positions than the motorcycle, but still it shouldn't be like this though. Either way, I'll get it worked out.

Haven't ridden much in over a week now due to crappy weather, and I'm getting cranky and having cycling withdrawal big time.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Did a new loop this morning on the road bike, my favorite yet. Also picked up a Garmin 310xt, and it's awesome!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Nice! I threw down thirty yesterday. I'm still pretty banged up from my wreck, but I can't NOT go ride! Glad to hear you're liking your Garmin. I wouldn't be without mine. I love the sheer amount of data that is accessible.

That thirty miles was nuts. It was 106.9 degrees on the road (most likely due to radiant heat from the black top). Can you believe that??? 106.9!!! I wasn't trying to break any records for speed or time on my loop. I was just trying not to melt, or turn into a pile of dust... LOL

Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That's cooking for sure!!

Group ride was a small group tonight, only two of us did the full loop, and I ended up leading and set a new PR in the process.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Went on first group ride yesterday. Locals always have a Monday night ride but I'm usually spent from MTB'n all weekend. Rain has ruined that lately. Nothing major, 40 miles. At the turn around point we had to battle some vicious wind, took turns leading, 6 of us.
Liking road biking more and more.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
RCC Addict

It's a lot of fun. More that I ever expected it to be.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #14
RCC Addict

good idea on the Road thread, now we won't clog up the MTB thread with pics of skinny tires, and road ride stories.

For me, MTB is a secondary form of bike riding, mostly because dirt rides are shorter (more intense), and require more drive time to get to them, so they are viewed as more of a treat in my riding.
There is something about finishing a long grueling road ride, looking at the route on the map and seeing that I may have crossed over 5 counties, or a few cities. Also, I find that I devour food like nothing else.

Here is my bike recently on the first ride after I finished a major tune up: bath, tire rotation, new chain, new bar tap, and hoods, all new D/B cables. I had black tape and hoods before so this color matched lighter ensemble is new to me, I kinda like it. I wanted to capture a pic before I get it skanky again.

fresh tune up CAAD9.-03JPG

I"m still trying to figure out how to link mapmyride like you guys are doing with Strava.
Hopefully this works for now. This ride was from Tuesday

Rode 32.95 mi on 32.95mi road cycling on 6/17/14 on 06/17/2014 | CYCLING Training Log Entry | MapMyRide
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I used to ride a lot, but I'm unable to ride anymore due to a lower back fusion. It is the most relaxing thing in the world. its just you, the road, and your machine.
I will never be able to ride again but will always remember the long solo rids I took.
Great looking bikes guys!!!
I have a Nite Rider trail rat light kit sitting here collecting dust. pm if you would be interested in it...
briansbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yep, road riding is definitely more fun than I ever thought it would be also. It's funny, I never even thought I'd like it at all, turns out I love it.

And I'll second the voracious appetite afterward also. I'm hungry after a MTB ride, but I'm starving after a road bike ride. We generally go out and eat after our rides. Tonight is Mexican food and margaritas, yum!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbodies View Post
I used to ride a lot, but I'm unable to ride anymore due to a lower back fusion. It is the most relaxing thing in the world. its just you, the road, and your machine.
I will never be able to ride again but will always remember the long solo rids I took.
I have a Nite Rider trail rat light kit sitting here collecting dust. pm if you would be interested in it...
Have you considered recumbents??? I have a friend who had lower spine issues. He rode before, and had to start riding recumbents. Last year, he got really serious about his health and his riding. Believe it or not, he's back on a regular bike now. I'm not saying that you'll end up back on a regular bike, his story is a bit of a rarity, but nonetheless if it gets you back on two 700c wheels...

Here's his old bike, he's selling it here for $950. I'm sure he'd ship it if you dropped my name (Brian Falls).
Old 06-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Yep, road riding is definitely more fun than I ever thought it would be also. It's funny, I never even thought I'd like it at all, turns out I love it.

And I'll second the voracious appetite afterward also. I'm hungry after a MTB ride, but I'm starving after a road bike ride. We generally go out and eat after our rides. Tonight is Mexican food and margaritas, yum!
Third-ed.... I might, literally, be able to eat a horse after a long ride...
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbodies View Post

Sorry to hear about your back... I have a friend who has raced and ridden motorcycles for decades and has picked up some pretty nasty injuries along the way, legs and back. He is 52 y.o. and about 6'5. I got him back out on the bike, was able to shepherd him through about 2 yrs worth of rides, and with a lot of patience and determination he was able to go from 12 mile rides to doing well over 60 with 3-4k of climbing. I don't recall exactly, but I think he had fused vertebrae in his lower back. Like I said, lots of patience and not pushing himself into position on the bike was important, as the Dr. put it, as he gets older exercise is going to play a key role in his comfort of living and ability to move in general.

Maybe a recumbent or raised bar stem combo could get you there.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

My road bikes are all '80s steel framed sport/tour geometry. Only bought one new in the mid '80s. Got the rest online from bike forum classifieds and eBay 10 or so years ago. Bought mostly for the frames, then shopped for better (for my use) componentry (mostly '80s mid/upper range Campy/Suntour/Shimano stuff) to finish them out. I prefer Brooks B-17s, rando or priest style bars at or slightly above saddle height, true measured >1" tires and rat traps with loose strapped toe clips, PowerGrips or big BMX types.

Not as limber as I used to be so had to put together something comfortable. This 'bicycle building' turned into a hobby for several years so now I have more than 20 diamond frame and mixte old school bikes. Some with racks, fenders or bar end shifters. Would be difficult to get rid of them because they are all my size! Meaning small (~52cm) frames.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote

The Official Road Bike/Cycling Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party Tupers Chit Chat 16 06-27-2014 11:21 AM
Never seen a road bike ridden like a trails bike before TSK Chit Chat 5 11-20-2013 08:59 AM
Any road cycling fans? ecoli Chit Chat 11 07-08-2009 09:38 AM