Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Planned Obsolescence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Planned Obsolescence

Dell is really damn good at it, they must have a little programmable ticking time bomb in their computers.

2 year warranty and 2 years, 2 months later it takes a shit.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Planned Obsolescence

I've had two iMacs lose a motherboard 1 month out of warranty, which I think was two years. Shit happens.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Dell is really damn good at it, they must have a little programmable ticking time bomb in their computers.

Good on bringing it out.

This is common with electronic items now a days. Most cell phones do that. Its a way of churning out money from the market and keeping it going.

Unless the public values its effort, values its money, nothing is gonna change and these corporations are gonna keep f***ing every customer with a smile on their face.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee™ View Post
Shit is made to happen.
Fixed
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

If only there was Planned Obsolescence in goverment
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

With computers and phones, part of it is software bloat that slows it down. The other part is lead free solder having poor vibration resistance. Yep, they have it down to a science of failure.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
If only there was Planned Obsolescence in goverment
Its called The Constitution, unfortunately lately it has been deemed "obsolete."
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ever look at a suzuki samurai gauge cluster? There is a timer and a toggle switch tied into the odometer... about 60k the check engine light goes off and suzuki got almost $300 for their basic 60k service checkup. Sneaky little bastards!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Ever look at a suzuki samurai gauge cluster? There is a timer and a toggle switch tied into the odometer... about 60k the check engine light goes off and suzuki got almost $300 for their basic 60k service checkup. Sneaky little bastards!
Lots of manufacturers did this in the 80's and early 90's...
Especially chrysler...on one model of caravan you had to pull the cluster to reset the light....some vehicles you had to move a jumper between pins to reset it...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yes, most things are made to fail just after the warranty. My Epson MFP color photo scanner, copier, printer failed just a couple weeks past the two year extended warranty...bs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Good on bringing it out.

This is common with electronic items now a days. Most cell phones do that. Its a way of churning out money from the market and keeping it going.

Unless the public values its effort, values its money, nothing is gonna change and these corporations are gonna keep f***ing every customer with a smile on their face.
Yes and our government allows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
With computers and phones, part of it is software bloat that slows it down. The other part is lead free solder having poor vibration resistance. Yep, they have it down to a science of failure.
Yes, unnecessary bloatware that you can't remove or freeze unless you root it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
Its called The Constitution, unfortunately lately it has been deemed "obsolete."
YES...government bastards.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

Nothing is built to last anymore. Things are built to slow down or break, and the best idea is to release new products so that people will simply upgrade. I watched a video that showed printers have a counter and only print a certain amount of pages before they stop working. There was one printer that stopped working and said it needed repairs. The guy downloaded some home made program from a Russian website that reset the counter and the printer worked fine. I would not be surprised that one could "fix" a broken electronic by replacing a timer or counter chip.

A few years ago we threw out 30 plus year old black and white console tv that has never broken down, yet todays tv's last only several years.
letsgetrcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetrcin View Post
Nothing is built to last anymore. Things are built to slow down or break, and the best idea is to release new products so that people will simply upgrade. I watched a video that showed printers have a counter and only print a certain amount of pages before they stop working. There was one printer that stopped working and said it needed repairs. The guy downloaded some home made program from a Russian website that reset the counter and the printer worked fine. I would not be surprised that one could "fix" a broken electronic by replacing a timer or counter chip.

A few years ago we threw out 30 plus year old black and white console tv that has never broken down, yet todays tv's last only several years.
Funny thing is, I planned on upgrading this summer or next. But instead of just taking the easy route and going with a dell, I'm gonna just build something...which might get alittle expensive
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

In one of my CAD classes last year, the professor talked about planned obsolescence. Apparently it was the 'brain child' of the manufacturing industry towards the end of WWII. They needed a way to keep the factories going and to provide jobs for returning veterans, so it was decided to start designing items with a planned, limited life span.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just watched the first part of 3 in a documentary about this. Its just stupid how much of a throw away society we live in. Brand new items chucked because the newest and "best" just came out.
Greedy corporations certainly have this down to a science. The crappy part is, there's nothing WE can do about it. Even if we build our own stuff, whatever it may be, we still have to deal with this beaurocratic nonsense at every level.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The corporations simply supply what the market desires. Its the advertising companies that are to blame if that blame is going to anyone but the consumer.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Been using the same Macbook Pro for 7-8 years, have a feeling though it's going to die soon.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I had to buy a new printer today because I can no longer buy ink for the old one.
I hardly ever used it, it's still like new.
HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Funny thing is, I planned on upgrading this summer or next. But instead of just taking the easy route and going with a dell, I'm gonna just build something...which might get alittle expensive
Because of cheaper, better, faster, it doesn't have to be real expensive.

You can get a Core i5 powered Intel NUC kit and SSD for around $450.
It has pretty good graphics and can handle 3D rendering. The nice thing it all comes in a package that is 4 inches by 4 inches by 2.5 inches.

Mini PC - Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH

You do need to install the disk drive and network card so you still get a little of the feel of building one.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I am looking at that now with my Alienware. It picked up quite a few annoying habits, so I decided to do a fresh install. I figured some of the issues were from a couple of viruses (all of which were from infected adds in RCC). After the fresh install everything was working really well, after three days of Windows updates most of the annoying habits came right back, along with a few new ones. I am running Vista, so I figure this is Micro Soft's way of getting me to switch to Win8.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Yeah, I am looking at that now with my Alienware. It picked up quite a few annoying habits, so I decided to do a fresh install. I figured some of the issues were from a couple of viruses (all of which were from infected adds in RCC). After the fresh install everything was working really well, after three days of Windows updates most of the annoying habits came right back, along with a few new ones. I am running Vista, so I figure this is Micro Soft's way of getting me to switch to Win8.
First thing to do is to turn off the automatic updates. I'm still running XP on a 10 year old Toshiba Satellite and 64 bit 7 Pro on the workstation. Managing updates is what I feel keeps both machines pretty well.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Planned Obsolescence - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soft Edge Making - not working as planned Mdlopez1 Paint and Body 0 06-02-2012 07:57 AM
WTF was this planned? chicostaxxs007 Chit Chat 6 12-10-2011 05:41 PM
My Planned AX-10 Rig dmward1978 Newbie General 8 04-14-2009 06:59 AM
New Rig Planned, Scale does not mean small. SR5Dave General Crawlers 28 11-19-2004 10:29 AM