Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Tents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Tents

So, I've been beyond busy the past couple weeks and haven't had much time to research tents to the degree I wanted to. But I'm in the market for a good tent that won't fall apart (or leak) on me after a couple trips.

I originally planned on just getting a ALPS dome tent (a Meramac I believe) BUT amazon was out of stock and I kind of wanted a tent by friday (I have prime with free 2 day shipping). So I did a quick search and figured I'd upgrade to the ALPS Tasmanian 4 Season Tent

I read the one review on amazon, seem'd like a good tent...and from previous research, ALPS makes good tents and are comparable to more expensive tents. BUT, I'm now trying to find more reviews on that tent and can't find any.

So I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with ALPS tents or can recommend a good tent for $250 or less (preferably a 4 season that can breath when its warm out)

Thanks
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tents

Boner pants tent.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Camping
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If its just for you have you thought about a hike hamock like.The Hammock Company | Hammocks, Hammock Stands, Porch Swings, and More | Free Shipping - Hammock Company
or
Eagles Nest Outfitters Inc. - Hammocks and Hammock Sleeping Systems - Rain, Cold and Insect Protection.

Back when I was hiking alot I switched over to a hammock. Shortly after that all my buddies did to. There is always somewhere in the woods to hang a hammock.
pigblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

To be honest I have a Ozarks tent from Walmart I bought in high school it's about 20 years old now. It's still in great shape. I use it about 4-10 times a year. Of you run out of options it's a good alternative.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Location: Between the thoughts of yesterday and the ideas of tomorrow

I personally use a tentcot, Amazon.com : Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot : Camping Cots : Sports & Outdoors
its not a true tent, but its pretty comfortable and keeps you off the ground. I use it quite a bit and have had no issues. Plus the extra large version has a rain fly and unzip able windows to allow air flow.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I personally use a tentcot, Amazon.com : Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot : Camping Cots : Sports & Outdoors
its not a true tent, but its pretty comfortable and keeps you off the ground. I use it quite a bit and have had no issues. Plus the extra large version has a rain fly and unzip able windows to allow air flow.
I thought real hard about a double tent cot from cabela's (One side for gear and the other to sleep). But, they are damn pricey (I'm not too happy about spending $250 on the tent above, I'd love to return it if there was a better alternative for less), I heard they love to let the condensation build up (although I shouldn't of bought a 4 season tent if that was an issue), and I'm kinda claustrophobic (But it looks to be roomy enough for me)
Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post

Camping
Sure wish they had a motel 6's where I want to camp

Old 08-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If this is where you want to camp, you need to build one of these:

They're free!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I say go with a Ozarks tent from Walmart. I had a dome tent that I got in College for $20. I really didn't care if it lasted that long but I took care of it. I pretty much camped every weekend in Wyoming with my buddy and then I spent two Summers in it in the mountains in California while working for a rancher. Fifteen years later it started to get some ware so I decided I got my money's worth out of it and bought another one ;)
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Wally world tents aren't what they used to be. I bought one a couple summers ago, it leaked before the summer was over. I live in a rain forest, so it generally rains when I camp, and I need a tent to keep me and my gear dry. I bought a North Face flint 2 last year, and it's been fantastic. It's also much smaller and lighter, sets up quickly, and has a lifetime warranty. If you're car camping, those things might not matter much. But for moto camping and hiking trips, space is at a premium and I like knowing I can count on my gear.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-22-2014 at 08:44 PM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Wally world tents aren't what they used to be. I bought one a couple summers ago, it leaked before the summer was over. I live in a rain forest, so it generally rains when I camp, and I need a tent to keep me and my gear dry. I bought a North Face flint 2 last year, and it's been fantastic. It's also much smaller and lighter, sets up quickly, and has a lifetime warranty. If you're car camping, those things might not matter much. But for moto camping and hiking trips, space is at a premium and I like knowing I can count on my gear.

I live in a desert. Rain isn't much of a issue. When I go on multiple day hikes or atv rides I pack a in-closed hammock. Although now I'm married and she wants a trailer. I tell her we're not that old yet. Have you looked at R.E.I. yet?
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tents - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camping Tents John Deere Chit Chat 14 05-17-2012 09:43 AM
scale tents(display models) rcnutcase1983 Scale Accessories 8 01-23-2010 06:28 AM