Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: PC Sim Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #21
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: PC Sim Racing

yep that responce time seems insanely good for a tv. but most manufacture rated response times are bogus. kinda like the contrast ratios, there is not a standard of measurement. there are websites that do tests but thats going a bit far for us.

but yes that seems like it would do great. you might even try the 15 pin PC input, to quicken responce( would make audio a pain though).
But if you dont and use HDMI, check to see if you can change the mode to "game" or "pc"
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Okay, I've never built a PC, but decided to do a search on it and it looks like the price can be pretty appealing. Of course, I'd have to add the cost of an OS, but it appears copies of Windows 7 are available for ~$70 or so.

Anyway, here's a build for a $400 (approx.) PC that looks like it would fit the bill. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a first person shooter be more demanding on a PC than a racing sim? I'm not really sure... Here's the build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJx...ature=youtu.be

Thoughts on those components?

I'm also in the process of watching this video on assembling the PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUghCx9iso

Damn you for spending my money, Cory!!!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Tommy, I just finished building a gaming PC that was originally intended just for iRacing but went ahead and decided to spec it out for all around gaming. The one Cory posted is great for iracing and everything else you mentioned needing it for. If you decide to build your own, I would be more than happy to help you build it, just let me know. The site I used to build my PC is pcpartspicker. The great thing is that it filters out non-compatible parts as you build. Here is a link to the system I built...

Intel Core i5-4690K, Gigabyte Radeon R9 270, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Its overkill for iRacing (130 - 150+ fps highest settings) but will be perfect for when I go triple monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Okay, I've never built a PC, but decided to do a search on it and it looks like the price can be pretty appealing. Of course, I'd have to add the cost of an OS, but it appears copies of Windows 7 are available for ~$70 or so.

Anyway, here's a build for a $400 (approx.) PC that looks like it would fit the bill. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a first person shooter be more demanding on a PC than a racing sim? I'm not really sure... Here's the build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUJx...ature=youtu.be

Thoughts on those components?

I'm also in the process of watching this video on assembling the PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUghCx9iso

Damn you for spending my money, Cory!!!
sgtsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #24
~THE SCALE SHOP~

don't blame me, blame steve. he started it
Old 10-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

A few more quick questions (starting to order parts today):

- What network card features should I look for, if any?
- Do I need a sound card? I may use a headset frequently, but I assume racing on iRacing that that would be pointless so I might as well use external speakers....if that makes any difference.
- Which OS? Windows 7 or 8? 64 bit, I assume?

FYI, here's the system I'm looking into building: (hopefully the link works)
AMD Athlon X4 760K, Sapphire Radeon R9 280, Cooler Master N200 - System Build - PCPartPicker

I'm open to suggestions on this setup if anyone has any!

EDIT: I should point out that I plan to add a platter HDD, as well, but may just take that from my old PC. SgtSteve was telling me that the solid state drive would be way faster for the OS and for games. Generic storage would be done on the HDD.

Last edited by Tommy R; 10-02-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #26
R.I.P. Chip

I've got the same setup as you Corey, but mines just setup with a PS3. I've never tried iRacing, might have to put a PC together and give it a whirl.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #27
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
but mines just setup with a PS3... whirl.
Cause GT6 and you lasted about two weeks?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
~THE SCALE SHOP~

been playing this for about 2 weeks. the mud modeling/deformation is awesome.
Spin Tires

watched it development for over a year then recently downloaded the free demo here (dev/mod version) SPINTIRES™ - Official Site

you control 4wd, diff lock etc. demo doesn't include the winch though.

sadly its not quite as awesome as I thought it would be but I like to switch to it after a couple hours on iracing, ill switch to this for 30 minutes. plus It uses a 360 controller if you want which I already had.

I added the k5 Rock crawler mod(with 2.2 flat irons? lol), and really enjoy that. very capable truck. definatly ups the fun factor. only down side is the carb goes dry on steep uphills, makes those tricky as engine comes and goes.

check it out

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 10-02-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I've got the same setup as you Corey, but mines just setup with a PS3. I've never tried iRacing, might have to put a PC together and give it a whirl.
im thinking the same thing... gt6's last update imho ruined the feel of the wheel and i dunno... it just aint the same and im being spiteful about it.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I'm very interested in iRacing, but one thing really makes me lose enthusiasm for it. And that is that we can't set up our own races. Case in point, it'd be great if a group of us from RCC to join a server and race in the same event. Chatting via Teamspeak or some other VOIP would just add to the fun. But I don't think iRacing allows for us to select or races.

That's one reason I'm a bit more interested in Race2Play. I believe it offers us that flexibility. But when I looked, it appears they're still running older racing sims that I had back in the mid 2000's: GTR2, rFactor, etc...

Are there no other recent racing sims out there??
Old 10-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
A few more quick questions (starting to order parts today):

- What network card features should I look for, if any?
- Do I need a sound card? I may use a headset frequently, but I assume racing on iRacing that that would be pointless so I might as well use external speakers....if that makes any difference.
- Which OS? Windows 7 or 8? 64 bit, I assume?

FYI, here's the system I'm looking into building: (hopefully the link works)
AMD Athlon X4 760K, Sapphire Radeon R9 280, Cooler Master N200 - System Build - PCPartPicker

I'm open to suggestions on this setup if anyone has any!

EDIT: I should point out that I plan to add a platter HDD, as well, but may just take that from my old PC. SgtSteve was telling me that the solid state drive would be way faster for the OS and for games. Generic storage would be done on the HDD.
Network Card - Personally, I think it only matters if you are into competition gaming. Otherwise, just use the on-board NIC.

Audio - Easily something you can do without at first. On iRacing, as most games, a headset with mic is what you want, especially in FPS where you can hear people sneaking up behind you. Save your money and use on-board audio.

OS - 64-bit for sure. 7 is favored by most gamers but 8 runs much more efficiently. If you run into a game that doesnt work well on 8/8.1 you can always run it in Windows 7 mode.

System Build - Everything looks good in my opinion but no need for the network card as mentioned above.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm very interested in iRacing, but one thing really makes me lose enthusiasm for it. And that is that we can't set up our own races. Case in point, it'd be great if a group of us from RCC to join a server and race in the same event. Chatting via Teamspeak or some other VOIP would just add to the fun. But I don't think iRacing allows for us to select or races.

That's one reason I'm a bit more interested in Race2Play. I believe it offers us that flexibility. But when I looked, it appears they're still running older racing sims that I had back in the mid 2000's: GTR2, rFactor, etc...

In iRacing you can host your own races, but it costs money. I think it comes out to about $1 for 2 hours. I started a League and plan to host a season once we get a few people in and will cover the costs for at least the first go around.

League name - Texas Motorsports
If anyone is interested feel free to apply
Old 10-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, Steve!!! I'm getting stoked. Already have one of my onroad racers up for sale. Hoping to can get by with only selling one more for the time being, but I suspect both Xrays will be on the auction block soon!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks, Steve!!! I'm getting stoked. Already have one of my onroad racers up for sale. Hoping to can get by with only selling one more for the time being, but I suspect both Xrays will be on the auction block soon!

Excellent! You are welcome to come over this weekend and try it out.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsteve View Post
Excellent! You are welcome to come over this weekend and try it out.
Would love to, but I'll be at the ACL Fest. Possibly on Sunday, though. I'll let you know!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #36
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Cause GT6 and you lasted about two weeks?
I've played it a LOT more than that. I just kinda like doing my own thing with it more than playing online.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #37
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:

Assetto Corsa and Project CARS are coming out any day. and offer free play with your freinds style play. there are a few others, but those are the biggies.
Assetto Corsa | Your racing simulator. The most realistic PC racing simulation
Project CARS - Home
i definatly plan on picking up at least AC. not sure on CARS yet.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Still waiting on the sale of some onroad cars, but the ordering of components to build a gaming PC has started.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Y'all heard anything good/bad about Windows 10 for gaming? I just signed up for the preview team, which presumably will let me download/install Win10, but before I do I thought I'd ask about it here...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Y'all heard anything good/bad about Windows 10 for gaming? I just signed up for the preview team, which presumably will let me download/install Win10, but before I do I thought I'd ask about it here...

It's way to soon to start using it for gaming as it's still very early in Beta. I doubt there is much support yet for it since I don't think release is until 2015.

PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROJECT CARS sim game slowlearner Chit Chat 14 08-07-2013 11:51 AM
Any sim racers on here? Hellbilly Chit Chat 30 07-10-2008 10:12 AM
Flight Sim in Google Earth SlinkySam Chit Chat 2 09-03-2007 02:02 PM
rock crawling sim or game? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 2 11-20-2006 10:10 PM