Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: PC Sim Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #581

Default Re: PC Sim Racing

I picked up Automobilista during the Steam sale, but I also wanted to pick up Assetto Corsa and I forgot. It's back up to regular price. Bummer.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #582
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Ah, no worries. It was only $10 and I think included several other cars. I noticed some differences between AC and iRacing. Some good, some bad...

In iRacing I've always felt like I'm racing as if the edge between grip and slip is razor thin. This makes it much more challenging to find the balance point of max grip without pushing too hard and the grip falls off dramatically. I feel like I'm "walking on eggshells" when I'm racing and can't be too forceful or deliberate with my inputs. Must be very gentle and slow.

With AC it felt more realistic in as much as I could be more abrupt in my inputs and the car's performance wouldn't suffer too much. It didn't feel as much like a razor's edge and if you overcooked, you could gather it back up rather easily. Grip exiting corners felt more controlled/realistic compared to iRacing, as well. But I do feel the sim was a little too forgiving and overall, just a bit easier to drive at the limit. In that respect it felt more arcade-y.

Overall, AC seemed pretty good, but not sure I would choose it over iRacing due to the more game-like feel.
I have to agree with you Tommy alot of these second tier sims (with iracing be alone in the top tier) its the added grip AFTER you have lost grip that makes them bend towards the arcade side. ie after loosing grip it can be recovered too quickly, often just a 1 second lift or brake hover is enough to regain grip and stay on line even some times. while this is realistic some times, other times its not, recovering too quick.
its not that the 2nd tier sims necessarily have too much grip overall, its that they recover grip too quickly.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #583
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Well i know Tommy is a fan of these old fox bodies so i had to give this RaceRoom challenge a try. the track and car were both free to use during the challenge

i started out in 404 place, then 276, then 192, then 97th, and finally ended up with this lap moving me up to 41st place! i lost probly half a second going too deep into the cork screw, but didnt feel like trying again.

first lap is TV view, second (same) lap is cockpit view, sorry about the pixel look, its my stupid Pinnacle Studio software

after doing some research this was actually Bruce Jenners race car, then i knew for sure this was for Tommy!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #584

I'm not a Fox body fan, but that's a sweet car!
Old 01-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #585
I wanna be Dave

Fox body Mustangs? '80s era Trans Am cars?? Dudes who wanna be chicks??? Who could ask for more!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #586
Quarry Creeper

As Cory mentioned earlier in the thread, give iRacing some time. I was lucky to have these guys to guide me and keep my cool in the beginning. Race a lot, race clean, worry more about racing clean than finishing position, and you'll do just fine. I started in September, and I'm B class now.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Fox body Mustangs? '80s era Trans Am cars?? Dudes who wanna be chicks??? Who could ask for more!
You have a point there. Driving a Mustang was a warning sign of what was to come with Mr. wait Mrs. Jenner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
As Cory mentioned earlier in the thread, give iRacing some time. I was lucky to have these guys to guide me and keep my cool in the beginning. Race a lot, race clean, worry more about racing clean than finishing position, and you'll do just fine. I started in September, and I'm B class now.
I'm being patient. Tonight I logged on to race and the only races I was elegible for are ones I either have to buy cars or tracks for!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #588
~THE SCALE SHOP~

what did yall think about the sound of the mustang? authentic?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #589
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Neither Me (lost connection) nor Steve (DQed for not repairing car) were able to finish the CF Monza race. i felt like i could have finished mid pack.

So "we" have sponsored a "second chance fun run" with the CF guys.

Quote:
OK so as promised, Cory wants his revenge on Monza so we've scheduled a do-over fun run at Monza for Sunday evening. This is a non-points event, aka Fun Run. All of the settings for the race, including the fixed setup, are the same as they were on Tuesday. There will be a 30 minute open qualifier at 7:30pm Central followed by a 30 minute race at approx 8:00pm Central.

see yall then!
anybody want to host a practice sesh? fri or sat?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #590
I wanna be Dave

That sucks about the race, but I'll be available on Sunday to do the fun run. I won't be available tonight to host, but could tomorrow or Sunday.

We should discuss plans on some endurance racing, too!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #591
Quarry Creeper

I'm down for Sunday as well, hopefully.

EDIT: Not feeling so great today, thought it was just the usual early morning stuffiness and scratchy throat but it isn't going away. Hoping it's just the change in weather, but strep and bronchitis have been going around here so we'll see.

Last edited by hpiguy; 01-06-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #592
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Congrats to wingnut for starting last and finishing first

My video excuses:
- was starting to move up. extra draft speed caused me to lock up. i could have made the corner had i been by myself, but in this case it would have meant taking out my teammate Steve. so i chose to go straight and miss him.
- then i loop it
-im 51 seconds back but holding pace. i held the 51 seconds for the duration of the race.
-until i high centered

Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #593
~THE SCALE SHOP~

the official replay. we all got a fair amount of TV time.
put your shades on for Tommys 24k gold wheels

Old 01-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #594

I downloaded RaceRoom. I like the graphics. I first raced an Audi street-based car and I thought it was too easy. I lapped more than a couple AI cars in my very first race. It was nearly impossible to lose control of that car. All settings were default. Then I raced a more powerful car (offhand I forget which one) and I struggled with that thing. The traction was like a light switch. Either you had a ton or you had none. I'm definitely going to play around with it more.

I like the hill climb races, but I only tried one or two and those are really tough without knowing the course.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #595
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yes every car is SO different. i found the same to be true. some were too easy, some were well above my skill level.

after our CF DP race last night i jumped on RR for a few and did the GTO challenge but picked the old Nissan(300zx?) this time. SO different than the mustang. it was hard for me to be as fast because power had to build. im more used to instant V8 torque when you back on it at apex.

i havent got to try the hill climbs yet, but i like them.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #596
Quarry Creeper

So apparently the base game of RaceRoom is free? Are you guys running free cars / tracks or did you buy stuff? Gonna try and get the AC challenge in before the cutoff today.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #597
~THE SCALE SHOP~

see my review ;)
PC Sim Racing
Old 01-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #598
Quarry Creeper

Here's my weekly challenge entry.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
Well i know Tommy is a fan of these old fox bodies so i had to give this RaceRoom challenge a try. the track and car were both free to use during the challenge

i started out in 404 place, then 276, then 192, then 97th, and finally ended up with this lap moving me up to 41st place! i lost probly half a second going too deep into the cork screw, but didnt feel like trying again.

first lap is TV view, second (same) lap is cockpit view, sorry about the pixel look, its my stupid Pinnacle Studio software

after doing some research this was actually Bruce Jenners race car, then i knew for sure this was for Tommy!
I took the Jenner challenge. After one session I'm ranked 388th with a best lap of 1 minute 27.110 seconds. I blame the Ford.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #600
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
see my review ;)
PC Sim Racing

Still no VR support unfortunately. :(

PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post