RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   PC Sim Racing (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/509967-pc-sim-racing.html)

JatoTheRipper 09-20-2017 06:47 PM

Re: PC Sim Racing

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpiguy (Post 5750147)
Well, as usual Microsloth shit the bed on the Forza demo. I let it run for 15 hours and it had only downloaded 4.5GB. Could have downloaded the whole thing off Steam overnight. :roll:

Download the Forza 7 demo now at speeds as high as 230 Mb/s. :mrgreen:

https://image.ibb.co/irgaYk/Forza7_Demo_Download.jpg

hpiguy 09-20-2017 06:54 PM

^^You suck :flipoff:

I finally got it to download earlier, and it's a complete joke. All the BS they spewed about how it was the first Forza to be developed for the PC, with good FFB support. Blah, blah, blah. There's no option to set your degrees of rotation on a wheel, calibrate pedals, etc. Best I can tell it's locked at 540deg or so, way too touchy for me. I ran every vehicle in sim steering with all assists except ABS off, and the only thing I could drive worth a damn was the Merc truck. You can't even adjust your FOV FFS.

JatoTheRipper 09-20-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpiguy (Post 5750350)
^^You suck :flipoff:

I finally got it to download earlier, and it's a complete joke. All the BS they spewed about how it was the first Forza to be developed for the PC, with good FFB support. Blah, blah, blah. There's no option to set your degrees of rotation on a wheel, calibrate pedals, etc. Best I can tell it's locked at 540deg or so, way too touchy for me. I ran every vehicle in sim steering with all assists except ABS off, and the only thing I could drive worth a damn was the Merc truck. You can't even adjust your FOV FFS.

I agree. It sucked. Not even worth the download. I would love a truck sim. In the Forza demo they are impossible to lose control of. Way too arcade-y for me.

STANG KILLA SS 09-20-2017 08:34 PM

i miss the building cars portion of forza. was my favorite part.

hpiguy 09-20-2017 09:22 PM

I miss that, and our weekly race nights. I did go back and play some with a controller, and the cars just feel odd to me. Maybe because I haven't play it in a long time, but I still turn laps with my nephew from time to time, so I don't think that's it. The cars feel heavy for lack of a better term.

hpiguy 09-20-2017 11:29 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger. Pre-loading Project Cars 2 now. I think I'm one of the few that really liked the first one, for certain cars and tracks that is. And I kind of have a soft spot for it, as it is THE game that eventually got me into sim racing with you guys. I got a $11 discount for owning the first one, and if it sucks, I have the steam 2 hour refund deal. From the reviews coming out now, I think I'll love it. I'll keep you guys posted on my thoughts. Sucky part is, the game goes live Friday and I have a LONG day at work that day. Haven't done shit today, and nothing planned tomorrow either. Hell, I played Rainbow six for two hours today. :mrgreen:

JatoTheRipper 09-21-2017 07:06 AM

I've never played Project Cars so I'll be interested to hear how you like the second.

STANG KILLA SS 09-21-2017 07:24 AM

please keep us posted! try not to let the "hey this is new so its exciting/awesome" syndrome affect your reviews.

PC1 was the most beautiful game ever. i loved ever aspect except the feeling of the cars. and the lack of chevys

hpiguy 09-21-2017 08:18 AM

Yeah, I'll do my best to keep it honest and not let SNGS (shiny new game syndrome :mrgreen:) affect it. And if it's shit, I'll tell you it's shit and move on. I agree on the graphics also Cory, racing in a thunderstorm, at night, in VR is incredible to say the least. If they've fixed the physics (already know they made massive changes to the FFB adjustment system) for the cars that had issues, which to be fair was most of them, then it's going to be great. Chevys are in there this time around Cory, C7R and C7 street both. I can't wait to throw a GTR around the ring in the snow. LOL

hpiguy 09-21-2017 09:55 AM

Looks like it goes live at 12:00AM GMT, which is 8PM here. Woo Hoo!

EDIT: According to Steam, it goes live at 6PM, not 8PM. WOOT!

ElChupacabra 09-21-2017 05:13 PM

My buddy has been playing PCars2 for the last hour and won't respond to my texts asking how it is which makes me assume he likes it. He took off tomorrow play it all day. I'm gonna go hang at his place and drive his sim setup. Pretty excited.

hpiguy 09-21-2017 09:59 PM

Well, after unpacking the game files, I started playing about 6:30PM, got a couple laps in and got a work phone call for about a half hour. I've took some breaks, but been mostly play time till now. Probably a combined 4 or so hours under the Rift, I think I may have seared my eyeballs! :mrgreen: All I'll say for now, is that it is farking GORGEOUS, and things are WAY better than Pcars 1. I'll update as I get more playtime, and time to play with the different FFB modes in direct head to head (same car, track, weather, etc) testing.

JatoTheRipper 09-22-2017 06:59 AM

I've read a few reviews online, from consumers, and they are saying this feels like a PC1 expansion pack and nothing has changed physics wise.

Is there a demo? I doubt it, but I'd love to try it if only to see how good looking it is.

STANG KILLA SS 09-22-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpiguy (Post 5750630)
Well, after unpacking the game files, I started playing about 6:30PM, got a couple laps in and got a work phone call for about a half hour. I've took some breaks, but been mostly play time till now. Probably a combined 4 or so hours under the Rift, I think I may have seared my eyeballs! :mrgreen: All I'll say for now, is that it is farking GORGEOUS, and things are WAY better than Pcars 1. I'll update as I get more playtime, and time to play with the different FFB modes in direct head to head (same car, track, weather, etc) testing.

also do some A-B-A testing too.

ie PC2, then hop in AC for 20 minutes or so, then back to PC2.
same with iracing.

should really help you compare the "feel" of the cars.

i watched 3 more reviews last night.
1 was pretty negative on FFB improvements. 1 praised it but it was IGN, they dont know shit about sims, the other was kind of a medium, but was more in reference to physics than ffb, which are kinda the same but not, but often blended.

i did notice one weird thing on several of the reviews, when a car would rear end another car, the lead car back end would jump like 3 feet off the ground and the rear car would kind of go UNDER the lead car. saw it happen alot. things like that often worry me about physics.:oops:

maybe even pic the same car like a BMW GT3 or something that all 3 have

JatoTheRipper 09-22-2017 06:04 PM

Are you setting up lap time challenges on iRacing? It was mentioned on the Corvette forum.

hpiguy 09-22-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5750690)
I've read a few reviews online, from consumers, and they are saying this feels like a PC1 expansion pack and nothing has changed physics wise.

Is there a demo? I doubt it, but I'd love to try it if only to see how good looking it is.

Those people are either;

a. full of shit, or,
b. never played anything other than console games with a game pad.

I've saved a LOT of slides that I never would have saved in Pcars 1, just didn't have a feel for grip on the edge in the old game. No demo that I know of. Very few sim race titles have demos come to think of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS (Post 5750695)
also do some A-B-A testing too.

ie PC2, then hop in AC for 20 minutes or so, then back to PC2.
same with iracing.

should really help you compare the "feel" of the cars.

i watched 3 more reviews last night.
1 was pretty negative on FFB improvements. 1 praised it but it was IGN, they dont know shit about sims, the other was kind of a medium, but was more in reference to physics than ffb, which are kinda the same but not, but often blended.

i did notice one weird thing on several of the reviews, when a car would rear end another car, the lead car back end would jump like 3 feet off the ground and the rear car would kind of go UNDER the lead car. saw it happen alot. things like that often worry me about physics.:oops:

maybe even pic the same car like a BMW GT3 or something that all 3 have

Every title has it's bugs. Hell iRacing's been around what, 10 years? Still has bugs they're working to patch every season. The physics are much better, everything else will take me some time to nail down, but I'm very happy thus far.

I can do a Pepsi challenge test with it, may take some time though.

hpiguy 09-23-2017 12:12 AM

Spent about 3-4 more hours in it tonight. Made some FFB changes, got SimVibe up and running, tweaked my graphics settings, and really pushed it to see what all I could run. This is the only sim title I can run a full 32 car field in VR with graphics and supersampling cranked up, and not have performance issues. Sure, ASW kicks in, which I notice in most titles, but I never notice it in Pcars 2, so whatever they've done is magic for VR. It's like getting a graphics card upgrade for free. Ran a night race at Spa in the Merc GT3 in a thunderstorm with a full 32 car field, ran flawlessly, and holy shit is it pretty! More to come.

STANG KILLA SS 09-23-2017 01:51 PM

any one interested in some iRacing practice tonight for Tuesdays race?
say about 8pm CST?

hpiguy 09-23-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS (Post 5751080)
say about 8pm CST?

I'd be down for that. How we gonna do it though? Hosted session?

JatoTheRipper 09-26-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpiguy (Post 5750976)
Spent about 3-4 more hours in it tonight. Made some FFB changes, got SimVibe up and running, tweaked my graphics settings, and really pushed it to see what all I could run. This is the only sim title I can run a full 32 car field in VR with graphics and supersampling cranked up, and not have performance issues. Sure, ASW kicks in, which I notice in most titles, but I never notice it in Pcars 2, so whatever they've done is magic for VR. It's like getting a graphics card upgrade for free. Ran a night race at Spa in the Merc GT3 in a thunderstorm with a full 32 car field, ran flawlessly, and holy shit is it pretty! More to come.

Any updates?

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS (Post 5751080)
say about 8pm CST?

I had a ton of fun running with you last night! It's difficult for me to be quick and consistent at Laguna. Some of the turns are really tricky. The one leading up to the corkscrew always gets me. I often brake too much and loose a lot of speed. It's tricky because you have to brake before you crest the hill so you can't see the apex while braking.

And last night my car seemed to push instead of rotating in the turns. It was probably just because I was pushing harder, but my setup seemed more unplanted than it had before.