RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   PC Sim Racing (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/509967-pc-sim-racing.html)

STANG KILLA SS 09-26-2017 07:38 AM

Re: PC Sim Racing

it was great, i purposly got behind you to hope you wouldnt let your rear view pressure you into a mistake. you were damn fast! !!!
what did you think of the VRS tune?

yeah my car had a bit more push last night too. remember session conditions play a HUGE roll in grip/lap times so its gonna be different everytime. especially now that the league is running dynamic weather. you cant practice knowing the exact weather conditions anymore.

dont worry, laguna is hard to be consistant for EVERYONE.

for the corkscrew, my car likes it best if i set just a light to medium brake pedal just before the first brake marker and just hold that setting to the apex of the left drop. natural instinct is to increase as you get slower. VERY hard for me to do, but the car seems to like it, ie less lock up.

use the knowledge of the lack of consistancy to your advantage. play safe on those tricky brake zones knowing others will likely make a mistake you can capitalize on.

JatoTheRipper 09-26-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS (Post 5751794)
it was great, i purposly got behind you to hope you wouldnt let your rear view pressure you into a mistake. you were damn fast! !!!
what did you think of the VRS tune?

yeah my car had a bit more push last night too. remember session conditions play a HUGE roll in grip/lap times so its gonna be different everytime. especially now that the league is running dynamic weather. you can practice knowing the exact weather conditions anymore.

dont worry, laguna is hard to be consistant for EVERYONE.

for the corkscrew, my car likes it best if i set just a light to medium brake pedal just before the first brake marker and just hold that setting to the apex of the left drop. natural instinct is to increase as you get slower. VERY hard for me to do, but the car seems to like it, ie less lock up.

use the knowledge of the lack of consistancy to your advantage. play safe on those tricky brake zones knowing others will likely make a mistake you can capitalize on.

At first I thought you were pulling off and I was bummed because I was having fun chasing you, but then I realized you just pulled over to get behind me. I assumed that was to push/test me. And test me you did. I made a huge mistake after the front straight. It was more of me under braking rather than missing my point and braking too late. I didn't want to lock up the brakes and, as a result, I simply didn't brake hard enough and I ran way wide. Consistent braking is still my biggest challenge. I'm working on it. There seems to be a hair switch between locking up the brakes and not braking hard enough. Practice makes perfect.

I'm glad you got behind me to put the pressure on though. I appreciate that so thank you! "thumbsup"

I was unaware of the VRS setups when we ran at COTA. But after that race one of the Corvette Forum guys told me to sign up for VRS and check out the setup so I did. My first lap out on Laguna with the VRS setup was my fastest ever on that track.

Your setup seemed to be very similar. I'm not sure if there are multiple VRS setups or not. But I appreciate you sharing it with me!

That's one of the great things about the Corvette Forum guys. Most, if not all, seem to be willing to help others including a newbie like me. That includes yourself because you've been very helpful! It's good to be part of a group like that. :mrgreen:

STANG KILLA SS 09-26-2017 09:15 AM

yeah that car is hard to brake hard with no abs, still easier than C6R vette, but not easy. what do you have your brake force factor to? default is 1.8 i believe.

yeah that was the VRS setup for Laguna, i didnt know you already had it. it should have been the same one.

im a newb there as well. only been racing with them 2 seasons.

JatoTheRipper 09-26-2017 09:21 AM

I believe I have it set to somewhere around 3.5.

STANG KILLA SS 09-26-2017 09:52 AM

wow thats alot. your gonna find the ramp rate at the end of travel (near lock up) with be VERY sharp and hard to control.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l_Function.PNG

ie near the end of your travel, around lock up, you will be only adding 5% more brake pedal, but the car will recieve 25% more braking power due to the high expo/ brake force factor, giving you that instant lock up, on-off, light switch you are experiencing.

but its all about muscle memory, if your used to that it may be best to stick with it for tonight.

for reference i run the 488 at 2.00 and really bad cars like the vette i might bump to 2.25 or 2.5.

i tried the 488 at 2.25 but was missing all my apexs. but it was because i was still using the muscle memory brake pedal press of 2.00. given time im sure i could have adapted, but i didnt want to get too far off from the standard 1.8 that all the cars have stock.

JatoTheRipper 09-26-2017 10:18 AM

Thank you for posting that. It's now obvious to me that I have no idea what the brake factor is. That's probably why my pedal feels like a light switch from threshold to lock up. I'll have to do some reading up on the subject.

hpiguy 09-26-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5751791)
Any updates?

Yes, some cars are great, some are pure shit, no different than any sim. There are bugs for sure, again, just like any game just released. And they've already released one patch, possibly two, can't remember. The AI has a few issues, but it's still the best AI I've ran against in any sim title. I've been going back and forth between Pcars2, AC, iRacing, and R3E in the same cars on the same tracks. And if anything, it's shown me they all have issues to be honest. I still like the FFB of R3E better than anything on the planet, it's just so damned immersive in VR, and with the bass shaker on the cockpit, it blends in seamlessly. However, I disabled those extra effects for the purpose of head to head testing. I'd say that Pcars 2, again depending on the car, is somewhere between R3E and iRacing for physics and FFB at this point. I find myself catching slides I never could have in Pcars 1, and some cars I just love an empty track and hanging the tail out in every corner and hooning it up, because you can now. I am running the Jack Spade standard mid comp FFB file, and make a couple of recommended tweaks to the FFB sliders in game for my wheel. Perhaps it's still the new talking, but for all out fun, I think Pcars 2 takes it for me right now. The new FFB and physics, combined with the livetrack 3.0 and weather changes make for some fantastic single player racing. Which is what have the most time for right now with my weird work schedule. Ran the GTR last night, at night, in the snow at Dubai, on snow tires. You'll never do that in real life, but it's hella fun! Hell, I just spent an hour in the rig in the middle of the work day, got paid for it too. :mrgreen: Is it a sim? Simcade? Hell, I don't' know, all I know is, it's a freaking blast!

JatoTheRipper 09-26-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpiguy (Post 5751870)
Yes, some cars are great, some are pure shit, no different than any sim. There are bugs for sure, again, just like any game just released. And they've already released one patch, possibly two, can't remember. The AI has a few issues, but it's still the best AI I've ran against in any sim title. I've been going back and forth between Pcars2, AC, iRacing, and R3E in the same cars on the same tracks. And if anything, it's shown me they all have issues to be honest. I still like the FFB of R3E better than anything on the planet, it's just so damned immersive in VR, and with the bass shaker on the cockpit, it blends in seamlessly. However, I disabled those extra effects for the purpose of head to head testing. I'd say that Pcars 2, again depending on the car, is somewhere between R3E and iRacing for physics and FFB at this point. I find myself catching slides I never could have in Pcars 1, and some cars I just love an empty track and hanging the tail out in every corner and hooning it up, because you can now. I am running the Jack Spade standard mid comp FFB file, and make a couple of recommended tweaks to the FFB sliders in game for my wheel. Perhaps it's still the new talking, but for all out fun, I think Pcars 2 takes it for me right now. The new FFB and physics, combined with the livetrack 3.0 and weather changes make for some fantastic single player racing. Which is what have the most time for right now with my weird work schedule. Ran the GTR last night, at night, in the snow at Dubai, on snow tires. You'll never do that in real life, but it's hella fun! Hell, I just spent an hour in the rig in the middle of the work day, got paid for it too. :mrgreen: Is it a sim? Simcade? Hell, I don't' know, all I know is, it's a freaking blast!

I'm sure the new is talking. With the awesome graphics and cool weather how can it not? Heck I wanna buy it just to run in snow. It would be impossible to prevent those awesome things from having influence on your review.

I watched a video review, from one of the sim sites (I forget which one) that said the physics were below Assetto and even Automobilista. Then another I watched was more inline with your assessment.

I just wish games had demos. I'm not tempted, at all, to buy PC2 without playing it.

hpiguy 09-26-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5751888)
I'm sure the new is talking. With the awesome graphics and cool weather how can it not? Heck I wanna buy it just to run in snow. It would be impossible to prevent those awesome things from having influence on your review.

I watched a video review, from one of the sim sites (I forget which one) that said the physics were below Assetto and even Automobilista. Then another I watched was more inline with your assessment.

I just wish games had demos. I'm not tempted, at all, to buy PC2 without playing it.

The new is probably some of it, but bear in mind, I have 15 hours logged already. Enough time that I see the faults for what they are as well. I simply love racing games, period, they're my thing. If they're pure shit, I'll tell you as much (i'm looking at you Forza 7), if they're good fun I'll tell you that too.

But, as far as reviews go, it's hard to put a lot of stock in reviews, whether positive or negative as we all have different tastes in what we like from our FFB and physics. For example, if Tommy shares a setup with me, I hate it until I remember to go turn the FFB up, but he's fast as shit like that and likes it that way.

And yes, having real time weather, time changes, and track changes does influence my review as it should. No other sim has these things yet, and for a game I intend to run 95% single player career mode that's a big deal. Speaking of which, no other sim has a single player career mode that's worth a shit either. Again, these things may not be for everybody, and the weather can be downright frustrating at times. But it should be, no different than real life. We all want to run on perfect sunny 80 degree days, but in real life, that just doesn't happen. Being able to run a full 32 car field in VR is also awesome, and also will piss you off at times when there's a giant pile up at turn one, or a big crash that takes you out of the race. But all those things do a really good job of simulating the emotional roller coaster of a pro race driver working your way up through the ranks. And I for one, can't get enough of it. "thumbsup"

STANG KILLA SS 09-26-2017 01:54 PM

after watching another 12+ reviews post release, mostly the ones focused on ffb and physics. i think im gonna hold off on it. at least for now.
i watched the one on/about the spade tweaker files last night.

weird thing i have zero interest in the rain or snow stuff. i do like the night though. id really enjoy a 2 hour race with evening to night to morning transitions. i probly wouldnt complain about a quick 15 minute light shower either.

keep us posted Randy!

have you spent much time in the rally cross cars?

hpiguy 09-26-2017 04:15 PM

I completely understand, and again, it's not everyone's thing. But I've always loved a good single player game, probably due to being an only child and moving all the damn time when I was a kid. You learn to entertain yourself.

You can adjust the time to where it moves faster than normal for those transitions, and it's freaking cool. I'll keep you guys posted for sure. I've barely touched the rally cars, not a huge fan so far. They seem to slide way too much to me with the least bit of throttle. But bear in mind, I'm judging it against Dirt Rally so that may be a bit harsh. And I've only driven one car. so far also. I've spent the majority of my time at the Nordschleiffe and LeMans, and Oulton park. I've barely scratched the surface of the car list, and track list thus far. And honestly, it's one of the few games that out of 180 cars, I truly want to drive most of them at some point.

hpiguy 09-27-2017 08:12 AM

Little update; for whatever reason the rally cars default to a circuit setup, and not a rallycross setup. Once I changed the setup, they're actually pretty damned good.

STANG KILLA SS 09-27-2017 08:24 AM

interesting.

we missed you last night, had a good showing for the RCC crew. The Steve even blessed us with his presence!

was a damn good race and killer conditions!

hpiguy 09-27-2017 08:32 AM

Yeah, wanted to make it, but had company over. Maybe next week, I love Road Atlanta!

JatoTheRipper 09-27-2017 08:45 AM

Last night while following the Ford GTs I noticed something.

Apparently I'm not the only one because there are Angry Bird / Ford GT photos all over the internet. But this is the one I made. :lmao:

http://i67.tinypic.com/104fdwo.jpg

STANG KILLA SS 09-27-2017 08:48 AM

yep the CF guys were the first to mention it to me. now i cant ever un-see it every time im behind one.

hpiguy 09-27-2017 12:08 PM

Marcelo, fast as shit as always while putting the new TS-XW wheel and Pcars 2 through it's paces.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H-IIgrc7VUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hpiguy 09-28-2017 02:17 AM

Food for thought...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6H_rs9f5Ies" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JatoTheRipper 09-28-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpiguy (Post 5752420)
Food for thought...

I can't watch the video at work. Can you give me a summary?

hpiguy 09-28-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5752468)
I can't watch the video at work. Can you give me a summary?

I don't want to butcher it, just watch it later. Lots of these videos surfacing at this point. And again, it's all dependent upon the cars chosen.