Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: PC Sim Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #1141
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: PC Sim Racing

^^Yep, AMA Superbike, and World Superbike is usually better racing than Moto GP. Great vid!
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #1142
Quarry Creeper

Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #1143
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
How are these Project Cars games? Is it anything like old school Gran Tourismo from our childhood?
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #1144
~THE SCALE SHOP~

incredible visuals
terrible ffb
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #1145
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
incredible visuals
terrible ffb
I felt like the FFB was pretty decent on my TX base using the mid comp JS files. I'm running raw mode with no tweak files on the new CSW 2.5 base (deleted all my old config files and started over), and so far it feels really, really good. Need to spend some more time with it and compare the various modes though. Just re-setting up all my cars each time in iRacing is time consuming enough when buying new gear.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #1146
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yep
Old 06-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #1147
Quarry Creeper

I think I finally got everything all tidied up on the rig. I have some more 80/20 coming to reinforce it more for the wheel base as well. I'm pretty happy thus far though, everything is right where it should be when I slide into driving position.

F1 rim, love this thing too

The wheelbase and QR setup are really nicely made, couldn't be happier with it.

Last edited by hpiguy; 06-10-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #1148
~THE SCALE SHOP~

NICE! i need to send you a pic of how/where i mounted my HB. a bit more ergonomic
Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #1149
I wanna be Dave

Forza Horizon 4 will be set in Britain, released October 2, and in the promo trailer I spotted a rally version of the old VW Beetle, an MGB GT, and a London Taxi.

and can you say...

DESTRUCTIBLE STONE WALLS!!!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #1150
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
NICE! i need to send you a pic of how/where i mounted my HB. a bit more ergonomic
Yes, please do. Although I'm very happy with how it is, I'm always open to other ideas on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Forza Horizon 4 will be set in Britain, released October 2, and in the promo trailer I spotted a rally version of the old VW Beetle, an MGB GT, and a London Taxi.

and can you say...

DESTRUCTIBLE STONE WALLS!!!

That's cool, but Forza isn't a sim, although I really wish it was at times. We all had high hopes for Forza 7 with all their talk of making wheel support a priority. But it's a steaming mess for wheel users. It's sad, because I love the series, and have played it since the OG Xbox back in like '01. And I'd still play the hell out of it if they'd just spend some time on proper FFB (force feedback) and wheel support, I'd gladly give them my money. But they're too concerned with things like 4k HDR tire smoke, and destructible stone walls to focus on drawing in the sim racing crowd with proper FFB and car behavior.

On consoles you're pretty much limited to Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, and Project Cars 1&2 for sim racing. I have all of those titles if you guys would like to run a cross platform lap challenge at some point, I'm down for that.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #1151
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i really miss building cars in the Forza series. thats about it.
well and all the cool street cars.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #1152
Quarry Creeper

Yep, and some of the silly stuff like Tag, and Cat and Mouse too. If MS wasn't so dense, they'd realize they have a gold mine on their hands if they'd just put some effort into proper FFB and wheel support. I'd buy both the new Forza games at full retail tomorrow if they'd get the FFB fixed.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #1153
RCC Addict

It'd be fun to have this setup but I just couldn't justify it.

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #1154
Quarry Creeper

Why do you need to justify it? Do you justify all the RC stuff you purchase too? Toys can't be justified, unless you're making a living with them. Otherwise they're toys, plain and simple. I don't justify my fun money, because it's just that, fun money. If my bills are all paid, and I have some money in savings, and still have the money for the toys I want, then I buy them if it's something I truly want. I do a lot of research these days before making big purchases (say, over $100) and generally end up pretty happy with the things that I buy, and they tend to last. I work hard, and have a stressful job at times. So, if I can't enjoy some of the money I make, then it's time for me to re-evaluate my life choices.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #1155
RCC Addict

Quote:
Why do you need to justify it? Do you justify all the RC stuff you purchase too? Toys can't be justified, unless you're making a living with them. Otherwise they're toys, plain and simple. I don't justify my fun money, because it's just that, fun money. If my bills are all paid, and I have some money in savings, and still have the money for the toys I want, then I buy them if it's something I truly want. I do a lot of research these days before making big purchases (say, over $100) and generally end up pretty happy with the things that I buy, and they tend to last. I work hard, and have a stressful job at times. So, if I can't enjoy some of the money I make, then it's time for me to re-evaluate my life choices.
I think too many assumptions were made here when all I left out is that I only play Dirt Rally for 2 hours every year until I'm on a good lap and mess it up, get pissed and turn it off. Then forget about it until the next year and repeat.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I think too many assumptions were made here when all I left out is that I only play Dirt Rally for 2 hours every year until I'm on a good lap and mess it up, get pissed and turn it off. Then forget about it until the next year and repeat.
Well you posted on a sim racing thread so yeah that assumption was probably made.

I bought a Thrustmaster TX wheel and pedal set. They're connected to my PC. That's as much as I've splurged. When I move and get a spare room I might build a rig. They look like so much fun.

I don't PC sim race nearly as much as the other two guys, but I love driving when I can.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #1157
Quarry Creeper

Fair enough. I have RC stuff in the garage that hasn't been touched in over two years. Lots of money in there, but I got bored because I had nobody to go run with, and the local track shut down. If sim racing gets boring, or starts dying off (which I doubt) then I'm sure I'll lose interest in that too. I'm still not done, and fully plan on a direct drive wheel setup next year. I'm really hoping that the new Fanatec Podium series is all it's made out to be once reviews hit. I'm ADHD, so I'm pretty much all or nothing with hobbies. I'm either really into it, or couldn't care less about it.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #1158
~THE SCALE SHOP~

im anxious to see what the podium wheel rims are gonna be like. ie what they do to set them above the current $399 fanatec wheels like the porcshe
Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #1159
Quarry Creeper

If I'm not mistaken, the current rims will be able to be used on the Podium series. Possibly not the McLaren GT3 due to it's construction, but the others should be good to go. That being said, I know that Shaun at simpit tried both the Formula and Porshe 918 rim on a 30nm OSW setup, and it rattled the bolts loose, but some loctite and all was good if memory serves. Bear in mind, that's on a 30nm setup, and I doubt either of the Podium series bases will come close to that. If they can get a 15-20nm setup working really well, with the fidelity that a DD setup can provide, along with a good warranty from a big name in the industry then I think they'll have a slam dunk on their hands. They already have the entire ecosystem of wheel rims and stuff to pick from, and thus far everything I've purchased is on a higher quality level than Logitech/TM as it should be due to the price. I'm betting on a 10nm setup that will give roughly the same torque of a CSW 2.5 which is 8nm, with 2nm left in reserve for fine details, and the big base being 15-20nm or so. I'm guessing $899 for the entry level base, and $1399 for the mac daddy. Or, it could all be shit once it's released and reviews hit, we'll just have to wait and see. If it gets good reviews, and is priced comparable to an OSW setup, then I'm 100% in for the big base at some point.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #1160
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's cool, but Forza isn't a sim, although I really wish it was at times. We all had high hopes for Forza 7 with all their talk of making wheel support a priority. But it's a steaming mess for wheel users. It's sad, because I love the series, and have played it since the OG Xbox back in like '01. And I'd still play the hell out of it if they'd just spend some time on proper FFB (force feedback) and wheel support, I'd gladly give them my money. But they're too concerned with things like 4k HDR tire smoke, and destructible stone walls to focus on drawing in the sim racing crowd with proper FFB and car behavior.

On consoles you're pretty much limited to Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, and Project Cars 1&2 for sim racing. I have all of those titles if you guys would like to run a cross platform lap challenge at some point, I'm down for that.
I'll try to remember the distinction between Driving Sims and what the PC games I like to play are...

I'll post up in the Gaming thread or elsewhere!

Someday, perhaps - I'll have a spare room and spare cash for a true driving chair/wheel/pedals setup because even all that is less expensive than 1:1 racing.

Hopefully if all that "spare" stuff includes a significant other, she will be understanding!

(I'll just tell her it's either that or a club-spec Miata and track days)

durok is offline   Reply With Quote

PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROJECT CARS sim game slowlearner Chit Chat 14 08-07-2013 11:51 AM
Any sim racers on here? Hellbilly Chit Chat 30 07-10-2008 10:12 AM
Flight Sim in Google Earth SlinkySam Chit Chat 2 09-03-2007 02:02 PM
rock crawling sim or game? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 2 11-20-2006 10:10 PM