Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: PC Sim Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #1281
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: PC Sim Racing

The only wheel with known issues is the McLaren GT3 rim because it's all plastic, and used a cheaper QR setup which has now been discontinued. Never heard of any issues with any of the others. It's a pre-production model for the sim racing expo going on in Germany this weekend, but will be a future production model so I'm sure they'll change some things. It was posted on r/simracing.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #1282
Quarry Creeper

Wreckfest is on sale, and has been getting really good reviews for the game as well as the FFB. I snagged it, and I'll report back. Here's the deal for anyone interested.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/w...ent=Grid_Image
Old 09-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #1283
~THE SCALE SHOP~

weve had wreckfest for some time (since beta)
i love it.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #1284
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
weve had wreckfest for some time (since beta)
i love it.
I had it in EA and refunded it. Just too buggy. But I'm willing to give it another go now that it's a full game and getting decent reviews.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #1285
~THE SCALE SHOP~

looks like the Trials series is back.
i remember this side scroll-er. lots of hours of trial and error and frustration. but cool figureing stuff out too.
only controls were gas, brake, and lean forward and back.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #1286
Quarry Creeper

I still play Trials Fusion on PC. The trials series is one of my all time favorite video game series.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #1287
I wanna be Dave

i just deleted trials from my xbox 1 so i could fit the horizon 4 demo. a TWENTY SEVEN GIG DEMO. wtf... i need an external drive. sad when a 500gb internal doesn't cut the mustard anymore. and i always buy the physical version of games. my drive is just bloated with DLC and save data. (ok the occasional game download happens, like streets of rage and Wolfenstein but those are in the MB's.)

still struggling with need of PC sim rig vs. where to put it even if i could afford it... its arguably cheaper, safer, and more accessible than the real thing.

oh yeah but horizon 4 seems pretty good so far. just hurts that Toyota is still absent. cars seem more planted and easier to feel the weight. new adjustments of wheel track width so your 275 section width tires aren't tucked way in the fenders like caves. new drift suspension allows increased steering angle, that's a huge plus for me.
cant wait to buy the whole game when it comes out, but like i said... hard drive is full. so to buy any new games will cost me north of $100 since i will need an external drive along with the game.
console gamer problems...

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-17-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #1288
Quarry Creeper

Is the game demo available on PC as well? I'd be curious to see if they've done anything whatsoever to fix the FFB.

You could always start out like I did, with a wheel stand that holds your wheel and pedals, and folds up when not in use. Worked well for me for quite some time.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Wreckfest is on sale, and has been getting really good reviews for the game as well as the FFB. I snagged it, and I'll report back. Here's the deal for anyone interested.

Just went to check Wreckfest out at home and it was up to $44.99.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-17-2018 at 05:16 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #1290
Quarry Creeper

I'd say it's worth the $34. I played it for a good couple hours yesterday or so.

Pros:

Graphics are good. Not earth shattering, but pretty darn good.

Damage modeling is top notch

Audio is top notch, right down to the metal on metal screeeeech during contact

FFB is pretty damn good

There are enough game modes now that I don't think you'll get bored anytime soon

Cons:

Some of the races require you to get first place, and this is damn near impossible even on default difficulty. The lawn mower races immediately spring to mind. Those things are maddening to drive, but maybe that's intended.

Weird physics at times. Though rare, every now and then the car will be sliding and without hitting mud or anything I can spot, it'll just loop me into the wall/guardrail. This forces a restart most of the time as you won't completely loop out, but just face plant square into the wall and be stuck there forcing you to reverse. Could just be sticky grass or other surfaces, a.k.a. Forza style wreck for no reason.

But that's really my only complaints so far. I'm having a blast with it for a pick up and play game. Hell, go buy it Tim, and we can all get some online demo racing going on. I'm not refunding it this time. I feel like it's a solid purchase at this asking price now that it's a legit full game. And since sometimes I just like games like Beam NG Drive to go destroy shit to let off steam, this is perfect.

Last edited by hpiguy; 09-17-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #1291
~THE SCALE SHOP~

post up if yall get trials. im mostly curious if its fun, or just frustrating at times.

also Randy i remember doing something with the diff, maybe an upgrade, that fixed those same odd sliding/spin issues. i remember always doing something that helped alot.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #1292
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I'll buy Trials when it drops if it's not priced silly. And I'll look into the diff thing too, thanks Cory!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #1293
I wanna be Dave

i loved trials for the "motorized tetris" factor, and the epic wipe-outs haha

i cant speak for the PC demo of horizon 4. like i said... im a console dork.
as for a sim rig, im tempted to try on console. there are threads on how to adapt certain wheels to the xb1 and all the stuff is on my amazon wishlist lol
i do have one of those ottoman with the top that cantilevers up to a "tray table" sort of surface... i could get away with clamping a wheel on that.

like this guy
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #1294

Quote:
I'd say it's worth the $34. I played it for a good couple hours yesterday or so.

Pros:

Graphics are good. Not earth shattering, but pretty darn good.

Damage modeling is top notch

Audio is top notch, right down to the metal on metal screeeeech during contact

FFB is pretty damn good

There are enough game modes now that I don't think you'll get bored anytime soon

Cons:

Some of the races require you to get first place, and this is damn near impossible even on default difficulty. The lawn mower races immediately spring to mind. Those things are maddening to drive, but maybe that's intended.

Weird physics at times. Though rare, every now and then the car will be sliding and without hitting mud or anything I can spot, it'll just loop me into the wall/guardrail. This forces a restart most of the time as you won't completely loop out, but just face plant square into the wall and be stuck there forcing you to reverse. Could just be sticky grass or other surfaces, a.k.a. Forza style wreck for no reason.

But that's really my only complaints so far. I'm having a blast with it for a pick up and play game. Hell, go buy it Tim, and we can all get some online demo racing going on. I'm not refunding it this time. I feel like it's a solid purchase at this asking price now that it's a legit full game. And since sometimes I just like games like Beam NG Drive to go destroy shit to let off steam, this is perfect.
I was going to mention BeamNG. Fun game, but buggy as hell for me. Very tedious menu system as well, but it's still an early release. I do think their crash physics models are pretty good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
i loved trials for the "motorized tetris" factor, and the epic wipe-outs haha

i cant speak for the PC demo of horizon 4. like i said... im a console dork.
as for a sim rig, im tempted to try on console. there are threads on how to adapt certain wheels to the xb1 and all the stuff is on my amazon wishlist lol
i do have one of those ottoman with the top that cantilevers up to a "tray table" sort of surface... i could get away with clamping a wheel on that.

like this guy
Cool thought, but I don't see it working well. It's a padded surface and I doubt the hinges are sturdy enough. Maybe if you make one yourself...
Old 09-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #1295

Quote:

Just went to check Wreckfest out at home and it was up to $44.99.

I accidentally posted that above in an edited post. Oops. Exhausting controlling the keyboard. Anyway, holding off at $45.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #1296
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is the game demo available on PC as well? I'd be curious to see if they've done anything whatsoever to fix the FFB.

You could always start out like I did, with a wheel stand that holds your wheel and pedals, and folds up when not in use. Worked well for me for quite some time.
The Forza Horizon 4 demo is available for the PC, I played it on release day.

Got to where I had about half a dozen cars in the garage, with 2 upgraded all the way - and made the mistake of ending the game, which makes you start over again...

I suppose that's to be expected, as it IS only a demo!

Frankly I don't feel like playing it again from the beginning with the slow cars.

Trying to decide if I should get it for myself as a early B-day present/late reward for starting a new job...

(I could get a short course truck instead! Feeling the need for some speed to intersperse my crawling with)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #1297
Quarry Creeper

Cool, I'll give it a go when I get back home later today. Thanks Durok!

Also, this drops tomorrow.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #1298
Quarry Creeper

So I spent some time with the Forza Horizon 4 demo yesterday evening. It's a really weird mixed bag to be honest. Sometimes the FFB feels really damn good, then for no reason all of a sudden the wheel just goes dead, or at least very vague FFB. I'm not surprised to be honest. Microsoft has no vested interest in the wheel owner/sim racing crowd whatsoever. They sell operating systems, office programs, and consoles. They used to offer a wireless FFB wheel when the Xbox 360 was still king, but they no longer offer those peripherals anymore. So if it isn't brining money in for the share holders and top dogs at MS, it sort of makes sense that they aren't going to devote a lot of resources to it. It is sad though, as the game looks OK (keep in mind, I'm used to PC sims/games that may eventually get ported to console and not the other way around) but nowhere near as pretty as dedicated PC sim titles. And it has enough of a selection of vehicles that it could be really fun. There's also the fact that the wheel animation still only goes 180deg, regardless of what you set your wheel to. And there is no option for either soft lock, or setting you DOR in the demo whatsoever to match whatever your wheel base it set to, i.e. 900deg, 720deg, etc. Both of those are huge red flags for wheel users. Oh well, the good news is that I get to recover 27G of hard drive space.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #1299

That sounds like typical Forza to me - a mixed bag. Some good and some bad.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #1300
Quarry Creeper

Apparently the FH4 PC demo also does not save your place, or your control layout either. Last night, I went and turned some laps in AC in the McLarens (FH4 starts you out in the Senna) just for a head to head comparison. Holy shit is FH4 terrible. LOL, I don't know why I was expecting anything different. It's not just the FFB that sucks, the cars are just super easy to drive at the limit even in sim steering with all assists turned off. You can rail corners at top speed with no ill effects. Try that on the green hell in AC and it's a very different ending for sure. And the graphics that r/gaming is having a circle jerk over look like shit compared to a dedicated PC sim as well. Deleted from the hard drive, and hate I wasted the bandwidth on it to begin with. It's a joke.

PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROJECT CARS sim game slowlearner Chit Chat 14 08-07-2013 11:51 AM
Any sim racers on here? Hellbilly Chit Chat 30 07-10-2008 10:12 AM
Flight Sim in Google Earth SlinkySam Chit Chat 2 09-03-2007 02:02 PM
rock crawling sim or game? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 2 11-20-2006 10:10 PM