Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: PC Sim Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #1361
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: PC Sim Racing

So, now that I have more hard drive space, American Truck Simulator was one of my free games with Humble Bundle last month. It has VR support, and people seem to love it so I figured I'd try it fully expecting to be bored to death. But to my surprise, I'm really digging it. I made five or six runs last night once I got it installed. Scrounging cash to buy my own truck right now. It has multiplayer, and mod support, and it's cheap if anyone's interested. My wheel, shifter and pedals work fine. It's kind of like Spin Tires but with way more of a career element to it so it feels like a full game. If I start spending lots of time with it, they make a modded shift knob for the TH8A that has the splitter and range features and looks like a real Eaton shifter handle that I'll pick up for it. I just need Frog and a CB and I'm set.

hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Don't forget kids, ACC update 3 went live today.

Released Cars: BMW M6 GT3
Released Tracks: Circuit de Paul Ricard
Features: Endurance 3/6h, Multiplayer (Basic), Pit-Stop
Rating System: Behavioural data analysis

https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/roadmap/
Now I see your reminder...

Quote:
So, now that I have more hard drive space, American Truck Simulator was one of my free games with Humble Bundle last month. It has VR support, and people seem to love it so I figured I'd try it fully expecting to be bored to death. But to my surprise, I'm really digging it. I made five or six runs last night once I got it installed. Scrounging cash to buy my own truck right now. It has multiplayer, and mod support, and it's cheap if anyone's interested. My wheel, shifter and pedals work fine. It's kind of like Spin Tires but with way more of a career element to it so it feels like a full game. If I start spending lots of time with it, they make a modded shift knob for the TH8A that has the splitter and range features and looks like a real Eaton shifter handle that I'll pick up for it. I just need Frog and a CB and I'm set.
Damn, it was free on HB last month? Wish I had known! It's a game I've always wanted to try, but didn't want to spend much money on it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #1363
Quarry Creeper

It was free for subscribers. I pay a small fee each month, $12 I think, and I get a bunch of free games and they donate a lot to charities and game devs.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #1364
Quarry Creeper

Finally took enough odd jobs to buy my first truck (Peterbilt 389), and all the upgrades (CAT 3406 + Eaton 18sp) with money left over. It's a beast, glad I waited and didn't buy any of the shit trucks.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #1365
~THE SCALE SHOP~

wow that looks real at first glance.
funny related trucker story, my now wife, taught me what a "lot lizard" was i never heard that term before.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #1366
Quarry Creeper

LMAO! Yeah, I learned that term at probably too young of an age. I had family members that were truck drivers.

I'm shocked at how addictive this shit is. Got the stuff at home to build my own shifter mod when I get the time to get around to it. It's a super chill game when you're just cruising down the road, but really challenging at times trying to maneuver such a huge vehicle around sharp bends, intersections, gas stations, etc. And I haven't grown tired of rowing gears or listening to the turbo whine & jake brake yet. There's a way you can stream internet radio right into the game too, I need to figure that out too. Bought the Oregon and New Mexico DLC packs before I left for work today, so they should be downloaded and ready when I get home this evening.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
wow that looks real at first glance.
funny related trucker story, my now wife, taught me what a "lot lizard" was i never heard that term before.
I also thought it was a real truck at first!

I recently taught my girlfriend that term. My dad, some uncles and a cousin are or were truckers.

Quote:
LMAO! Yeah, I learned that term at probably too young of an age. I had family members that were truck drivers.

I'm shocked at how addictive this shit is. Got the stuff at home to build my own shifter mod when I get the time to get around to it. It's a super chill game when you're just cruising down the road, but really challenging at times trying to maneuver such a huge vehicle around sharp bends, intersections, gas stations, etc. And I haven't grown tired of rowing gears or listening to the turbo whine & jake brake yet. There's a way you can stream internet radio right into the game too, I need to figure that out too. Bought the Oregon and New Mexico DLC packs before I left for work today, so they should be downloaded and ready when I get home this evening.
I can only buy Kenworths. I even changed my preferred brand in my profile to Peterbuilt and I only have one KW dealer on my map. Maybe it's because I haven't discovered any others at this point.

I took out a small loan and bought a KW W900. Funny thing is I also painted mine orange - a custom metallic orange. I bought an upgraded engine and the exhaust. I wanted a louder exhaust note and jake brake. That didn't happen. Have you found out how to make your truck sound good? The jake brake is especially weak.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #1368

Here's my rig. No trailer yet. Let me know if you learn how to make it sound healthy!

I forgot about the ACC update and just gave it a whirl. I ran the BMW for a few laps - feels like Forza to me - sim-cade more than sim.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #1369
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #1370
Quarry Creeper

Tim, a lot of the sound comes from the engine itself. I'm really happy with how the big CAT sounds. Any louder and I think it'd get old on a long road trip. So, since I'm totally addicted, this was my project for today. Assiging buttons on the wheel is fine, until you're mid turn and need high range, or a split. I researched various options, all expensive. So, a $10 USB joystick controller from Amazon, a couple toggles from Advance Auto, and some stuff I had laying around and I have my Eaton shifter mod done. I drilled and tapped the little RS project box I had for a M6x1.0 set screw, and wrapped my TH8A with some electrical tape to protect it. Works like a champ in ATS!

(Yes, I put the other two screws in once I made sure it was working properly. )

Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #1371

I already have most of the R3E content since I bought the "full game" via the backdoor method that Randy told me about. But I picked up most of the remaining content last night so thanks for sharing that, Cory!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #1372
Quarry Creeper

I used to have everything in R3E, but I think they've added some new stuff.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #1373

Quote:
I used to have everything in R3E, but I think they've added some new stuff.
Yep, they have added stuff because I used to have everything as well. 3 new tracks, the WTCR series cars, and some other cars were added.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #1374
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i can see it already, this will be you two in a month!

Old 11-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i can see it already, this will be you two in a month!

I'd love to go see that racing in-person. Getting a semi around a track at a pace that should never happen always fascinated me.

Automobilista has semis and they are tough to drive fast - soooo much torque!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #1376
~THE SCALE SHOP~

a bit cheesy, but i could see myself wasting hours at this

Old 11-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #1377
Quarry Creeper

Cory, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a race semi DLC back when we had Forza nights that we'd race each other in? I actually remember that being big fun!
Old 11-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #1378
~THE SCALE SHOP~

there was a delivery van.
i dont remember a Semi.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #1379
Quarry Creeper

I thought we ran these things some, could be wrong though.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #1380
RCC Addict

BeamNG is on sale for $20 and it's a great time waster. Driving fast is complimented by occasionally folding your car around a tree like a taco.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROJECT CARS sim game slowlearner Chit Chat 14 08-07-2013 11:51 AM
Any sim racers on here? Hellbilly Chit Chat 30 07-10-2008 10:12 AM
Flight Sim in Google Earth SlinkySam Chit Chat 2 09-03-2007 02:02 PM
rock crawling sim or game? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 2 11-20-2006 10:10 PM