RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   PC Sim Racing (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/509967-pc-sim-racing.html)

hpiguy 01-31-2019 03:05 PM

Re: PC Sim Racing

^^Yep, we need to get this going on Thursday nights!

STANG KILLA SS 02-06-2019 07:15 PM

im very impressed!
and some Sim and VR bonus too
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EPUBA8K2S8w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hpiguy 02-06-2019 09:35 PM

^^That is pretty impressive. Though to be honest, with the amount of car control high level drifting takes, I think those guys could adapt to anything within reason.

Did it bug anybody else that they set him up on a sim rig with a butterfly wheel to drive a car with a round wheel? :roll:

STANG KILLA SS 02-07-2019 04:53 PM

hey guys look up Ace Combat 7 (for PC) it was just released
Lemme know what you think.
ive owned several of the ace combats over the years on console and really liked them. not really a sim. more simcade with cinematic story line.
has multiplayer and team multiplayer.
Randy i read that PS4 has the exclusive rights to VR for the first year, then after than it will open up to the other platforms.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_6veBz299dw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thoughts?
worth a buy?
interested?

hpiguy 02-07-2019 07:08 PM

I always loved that series too. Just enough on the sim side where you aren't bored in two hours, but enough arcade to have a story line and make it fun to play through the campaign. I have DCS world, but it's super in depth. Hell, it would take a couple hours just to map all the controls. Then, if you don't play regularly, guess what? It will take a couple hours just to figure out your controls. Also, looks like they added frickin' lasers. :mrgreen:

Also, Kart Kraft added VR support, so I'll be purchasing that to support the devs that support us laser disc users. :lmao:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fnfGRkobtnE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STANG KILLA SS 02-09-2019 10:47 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tsb3W-qFaX4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STANG KILLA SS 02-17-2019 09:28 AM

except for GM who refuses to stray from there mid life crises yellow:evil:
claiming they have too much visual investment in the yellow scheme and thats what there know for and that photographers love it.:roll:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u7kWHNg5FL0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hpiguy 02-18-2019 06:36 PM

Man, DR 2.0 is really looking good. I wasn't aware of the track deformation. Pretty bummed it's gonna be a six month wait for VR support.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_1AXmDmKB-Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JatoTheRipper 02-19-2019 08:52 AM

The great reviews keep racking up! This article shows scores from 7 different articles and the average is 8.8 out of 10!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/dirt-rally-...-score-roundup

STANG KILLA SS 02-19-2019 08:53 AM

yeah in a few vids ive seen, you can actually see the sim wheel "tram line" in the ruts, ie grab the car/wheel and pull it in a rut and run in it like a slot car. pretty cool.

fun fact 4th gen Fbodys are known for this too. it was a real thing, any grove in pavement would grab the car and follow it. at times so bad you felt like Stevie Wonder weaving left and right.:lmao:

hpiguy 02-22-2019 01:43 PM

Gamer Muscle's initial take on DR 2.0.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HsiQHGO4tyU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STANG KILLA SS 02-23-2019 11:21 AM

found this pic of the SOL mod for AC.
note the glowing rotors, even casting light onto the pavement:shock:
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...05&oe=5D1CDF32

hpiguy 02-25-2019 04:10 PM

Yeah, SOL doesn't get near enough praise. You guys need to get it up and running and we can have AC nights again with a 24hr cycle. You do need to buy Content Manager though. I think it's $10. The mods are free, both SOL and the shader pack, but I personally and gonna throw those guys some beer money.

STANG KILLA SS 02-26-2019 08:18 AM

meh. im trying my best not to let mods turn AC into Spintires.....

JatoTheRipper 02-26-2019 09:34 AM

I haven't touched AC in a while.

Cory, how are you liking DR2?

I think the brake lights illuminating the dust clouds in DR2 is really cool. I forget if it did that in the first DR, but probably so.

hpiguy 02-26-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS (Post 5913451)
meh. im trying my best not to let mods turn AC into Spintires.....

Says the guy that just posted a mod car over the weekend. :mrgreen: SOL &CM are well thought and, and stable as can be.

STANG KILLA SS 02-26-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5913475)

Cory, how are you liking DR2?

the start menu screen looked great!:lmao:

(thats as far as i got this morning before work, it finished downloading last night after i went to bed)

STANG KILLA SS 02-27-2019 08:45 AM

night 1 impressions of Dirt Rally 2
i only spent probly 1 to 1.5 hours on it. just did freeplay historic series. did one time attack. no career yet

*menus, load screens, etc are all totally different. definitely doesnt have a DR1.5 feel. feels like a totally different game from a different manufacture. in a good way.

*It had the triples already setup from the second it loaded up. i didnt have to do anything.

*there is no surface ffb. the wheel is smooth and quiet as your running 100 over uneven ground. it feels like your on glass smooth pavement. hell even a couple of our onroad sims have this. just a little "shake/vibration" to the wheel to trasmite the road surface to the wheel. a Rally sim really needs this. i think DR1 had this. but i need to confirm. the odd part is there IS surface ffb when you run over a cattle gaurd in the road. you feel the pipes as you run over them. so it was on there mind, they just left out the main surface feel. you just dont feel like your offroad at all. feel vs what your seeing dont match. that wheel should be vibrating/shaking even on straight aways.

*also felt the wheel was too strong at times. i wanna say the self aligning torque. luckily there is an adjustment for this. both self aligning torque and another one about "center" something torque. so i think i can fix this. basically the wheel was trying to hard/too much power to catch the car. would pull out of hand almost.

*i did notice the wheel turn resistance go up in the corners when you get on pavement which would be correct due to the added grip.

*my handbrake mapped and worked right away. be careful though because alot of the mappings can be done on all 4 devises. keyboard, pedals, wheel, and shifter. so make sure your under the right device when your trying to map certain items. cause they are all listed under all devices. ie headlights show up under pedals and shifter too. but obviously u dont want to/cant map it to them.

*i moved my co driver calls MUCH later. i prefer mine just a couple cars before i get to it. ie i want the next thing ahead of me to be that call. default was way to early for me. but this was the same in DR1. easy fix with a slider.

*graphics were what i would call inconsistent. i remember some reviews mentioning this. some times they were stellar, sometimes they looked like xbox 360. sometimes in the same view/scene. mostly the environment. not the cars.

*my mistake was picking the Stratos as my first car. very hard car to drive. even in DR1. it likes to spin around even on straights. was a terrible first impression. i did go back later and try some other low hp rwd and fwd cars and the driveing experience was better. but DR1 was always perfect with a couple of the mid power AWD subarus and such. the other cars in DR1 were always sub par and didnt drive super great. so im awaiting to drive those cars to compare physics.

*lighting.

-this is where i had the biggest issues hand down.

-the first stage i did was blown out too bright. (was mid day clear sunlight)

-however after that nearly every stage had "too dark issues" particularly with shadows.

-if you went under a complete tree canopy where the trees on both sides touched closing in over head. it would be like entering a flat black round tunnel. the screen was just black . no road, no trees, no light sky. just all jet black, even when the light outside was mid morning/evening and enough ambient light to light that area in real life. it was literaly like they forgot the textures and it was just a black tunnel with light at the end. no idea where the road met the tree line, or canopy above. just all black.

-if you went into the shade, the dirt on your windsheild would turn black. so black it was hard to see as the wipers only clear about 2/3 of your view. that upper left area was left dirty. so uphill lefts in the shadows, (when dirt turned black and not see threw) made those corners Very blind.

-did one stage at night. in the rain. just under moon light(and headlights). this was impossible. the black "abise" showed up again. it was like driving threw a constilation of stars in space. impossible to see anything. couldnt even make out where land stoped and sky started. and i dont mean in a hard rain way, other sims have hard rain you can see in. again the entire screen is black. all you see is the reflection/white shimmers of the moonlite drops on your windsheild, and the same on the drops on the grass. just white dots/shimmers on a all black screen. sky black, road black, trees black. you couldnt see the road at all. the ONLY time you could find the road is when the moonlight would reflect off the water filled ruts in the road, then you would have a clue where the road was for a split second. i REALLY wish i would have done a screen capture of this for you guys. quite impossible.

-at times during the day you would see the entire enviroment light get darker, instantly. ie a decent lite mid day, then everything would darken suddenly. kinda like iRacings new day to night, how it just turns the brightness down 1 click every few minutes. but in DR2 it was like 10-20 clicks. im wondering if they were trying to simulate clouds. everything would darken and go into shade almost.

-over all i think the issue with the lighting is that the shadows are too strong, too dark. like they have the contrast or HDR turned up too much. blacks are too black. if the shadows, and blacks were just turned down 20% or so i think alot of these issues would be fixed.

i know this sounds like weird a complaint, but without seeing it, it was a major issue. so strong it affected play ability. i did play with the in game brightness slider to try to help this.

overall first night impressions werent great:oops:

maybe a 2 mustache rating:mrgreen:
but its only night 1. lots of tweaking can be done. on my end with settings, and on theirs.

JatoTheRipper 02-27-2019 10:24 AM

Maybe that's what I found odd - no surface feedback.

Agreed that the wheel was way too strong out of the box. I toned mine down a lot and it could still use some more softening.

The options menus are odd in that you have no idea what the option does. There's no verbiage or hints to tell you.

I'll have to check the other menus to see where the handbrake is mapped. I read on Steam that some wheel buttons default as menus and you can't change them. The button where I want my handbrake currently activates the pause menu and I can't figure out how to change it.

The RWD cars are a handful on dirt - as they should be. I tried the Porsche and Camaro and holy hell. You're rarely wide open.

I don't have the issue where areas are too dark. Not even at night. Sure, there are shady and more difficult areas in which to see, but I always have sight. And I've never seen black dirt on the windshield nor have I seen the odd darkening that you described. Did you update the drivers for your graphics cards as a fix?

STANG KILLA SS 02-27-2019 10:32 AM

yeah i was hoping for some info on what some items do too.

to remap a button that already has something. hit "clear" on the conflicting control, then map the button you want. you may even have to clear the pause on a different device. like keyboard first.

i hate the blame/question the driver, as it works fine in the 16 other games on steam.