Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat
Loading

Notices

Thread: PC Sim Racing

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #1501
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 480
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

LOL, roomscale gaming in VR means you need basically a designated area of at least 6' x 6' for games like that. Preferably a bigger area so you don't accidentally punch anything, etc. For shooters, if you're diving behind cover in the game, then yep, you guessed it, you're actually diving in the floor at home to do that. Walking, etc is usually done with a joystick on one of the touch controllers, but everything else like taking cover, kneeling, turning around etc you actually have to perform those movements in real life. The Oculus sensors track both the headset, and the touch controllers on each hand to determine where your real physical body is at in relation to the game environment. So, while fun, it's exhausting and gets the headset all sweaty if you don't run aftermarket face plates, and you need a lot of room. Lots of people have broken their TV, monitor, etc because they melee'd it in a game without enough room around them for their play space.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #1502
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,512
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

iRacing is partnering with Lucas Oil Off-Road Racing Series.

When? #soon

https://www.iracing.com/lucas-oil-of...-with-iracing/
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #1503
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #1504
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 480
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

At this rate, iRacing will eventually replace almost every other sim. I cannot wait for this to happen! I know we've all looked at the various Baja type games to find something for the group, but they always disappoint.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #1505
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

spent friday/saturday finishing my first championship. 6 rallys, 4-6 stages each. takes quite some time.

won the championship and every rally except one (had 2 stages i finished 30-40 seconds back in rough/rain terrain)
used a 115hp fwd Lancia Fulvia

im not sure if i could have bought a new car between the 6 rallys and switched or not within the championship.

had a safe margin in most stages (2-20 seconds), and on one of the final stages i won by 1minute and 19 seconds WITH going threw a fence and having to reverse back on stage. default AI level is set to 70% i left it there when i started the game. on road sims i typically settle in the mid 90s%. more on that later.............
the lancia seemed to have the advantage on asphalt and higher speed sections. the slower rougher sections the lighter Mini cooper seemed to have the advantage and id really have to try harder to beat them.

i did try the stage 4 engine upgrade, which was just high octane fuel and i guess a carb adjustment to run it. HP rating didnt change, (maybe they dont) and i cant say i noticed a noticable difference in power.

all repairs during first car/first championship were free money wise. only costing you time in pits (30 minute max, sometimes you couldnt fix it all if you tore the car up bad)



after winning the championship i treated myself to a used 1995 Subaru (22B?)



this is where things changed. alot.

first thing i imidiatly noticed was the difference in weight in the new car. very and imidiatly noticable. alot more momentum and had to slow earlier. kinda seemed like less grip too, but i think it was simply the weight making the slides slide longer sideways before grip was regained. ie centrifical force.


also noticed the game became WAAAAAAY harder. i dont know if it switched when i changed car, or when i changed championship, because i did both at the same time. but i went from winning with a few small mistakes by 10-20 seconds per stage to now with a perfect run im 2-8 seconds behind the leader. impossible to win. this got frustrating....



also now (again not sure if because new car, or new championbship) repairs cost money. no big deal thats how it should be. but the problem is with not being able to win, your earnings are less than your repair bills, and your fighting a loosing battle to keep the car alive.


now back to that 70% AI this can only be set when you start a new game (did some googling after i could never find where to change AI level mid game) turns out you cant. people even tried deleting there profile and starting over and even that didnt work. it remembers a few things like cars and i guess that you already registered not letting you adjust AI. you cannot adjust AI after youve started the game for the first time.



so the game became not fun. which sucks. i actually quit playing with no real desire to go back. driving your ass off a perfect stage and still loosing and then not being able to keep your car repairs just ruined it. plus not be able to adjust AI to fix that. im at a stale mate. hoping for a update fix.....


others online having this issue have gone to custom championships(not career) where you can choose everything. stages, weather, AI etc.

i may try that in the mean time.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 03-11-2019 at 02:29 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #1506
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,512
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
At this rate, iRacing will eventually replace almost every other sim. I cannot wait for this to happen! I know we've all looked at the various Baja type games to find something for the group, but they always disappoint.
That would be horrible. iRacing isn't perfect. And if it gets too broad it's going to become too expansive for the company to maintain and I think the quality will suffer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
spent friday/saturday finishing my first championship. 6 rallys, 4-6 stages each. takes quite some time.

won the championship and every rally except one (had 2 stages i finished 30-40 seconds back in rough/rain terrain)
used a 115hp fwd Lancia Fulvia

im not sure if i could have bought a new car between the 6 rallys and switched or not within the championship.

had a safe margin in most stages (2-20 seconds), and on one of the final stages i won by 1minute and 19 seconds WITH going threw a fence and having to reverse back on stage. default AI level is set to 70% i left it there when i started the game. on road sims i typically settle in the mid 90s%. more on that later.............
the lancia seemed to have the advantage on asphalt and higher speed sections. the slower rougher sections the lighter Mini cooper seemed to have the advantage and id really have to try harder to beat them.

i did try the stage 4 engine upgrade, which was just high octane fuel and i guess a carb adjustment to run it. HP rating didnt change, (maybe they dont) and i cant say i noticed a noticable difference in power.

all repairs during first car/first championship were free money wise. only costing you time in pits (30 minute max, sometimes you couldnt fix it all if you tore the car up bad)

after winning the championship i treated myself to a used 1995 Subaru (22B?)

this is where things changed. alot.

first thing i imidiatly noticed was the difference in weight in the new car. very and imidiatly noticable. alot more momentum and had to slow earlier. kinda seemed like less grip too, but i think it was simply the weight making the slides slide longer sideways before grip was regained. ie centrifical force.

also noticed the game became WAAAAAAY harder. i dont know if it switched when i changed car, or when i changed championship, because i did both at the same time. but i went from winning with a few small mistakes by 10-20 seconds per stage to now with a perfect run im 2-8 seconds behind the leader. impossible to win. this got frustrating....

also now (again not sure if because new car, or new championbship) repairs cost money. no big deal thats how it should be. but the problem is with not being able to win, your earnings are less than your repair bills, and your fighting a loosing battle to keep the car alive.

now back to that 70% AI this can only be set when you start a new game (did some googling after i could never find where to change AI level mid game) turns out you cant. people even tried deleting there profile and starting over and even that didnt work. it remembers a few things like cars and i guess that you already registered not letting you adjust AI. you cannot adjust AI after youve started the game for the first time.

so the game became not fun. which sucks. i actually quit playing with no real desire to go back. driving your ass off a perfect stage and still loosing and then not being able to keep your car repairs just ruined it. plus not be able to adjust AI to fix that. im at a stale mate. hoping for a update fix.....

others online having this issue have gone to custom championships(not career) where you can choose everything. stages, weather, AI etc.

i may try that in the mean time.
That Lancia is what I started with. It gives you a false sense that the game is easy.

It is odd that repairs don't cost money in that class or with that car or whatever it is.

I don't know how you are running out of money though. I have over $2 Million in the bank so I have no problem repairing the vehicles I destroy. I have raced 2 or 3 Rally Cross seasons and a bunch of daily challenges though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #1507
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

at the end of the championship i think i had about 600 or 700k? paid like 177k for the car then had to repair the car from the previous owner, then bought a few upgrades, engineers etc. sitting at about 250k i think. that wasnt the point, it was that the game wasnt sustainable. ie repairs were costing more than earnings. that game plan eventually comes to a dead end....
i have no desire to run rallyx.
i do occasionally run daily challenges, but only having 1 car (at the time) i couldnt do many.

Also it ruins the fun. if you run a perfect stage and finish 2-8 seconds back, it just sucks all the fun out, just not enjoyable.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 03-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #1508
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,512
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
at the end of the championship i think i had about 600 or 700k? paid like 177k for the car then had to repair the car from the previous owner, then bought a few upgrades, engineers etc. sitting at about 250k i think. that wasnt the point, it was that the game wasnt sustainable. ie repairs were costing more than earnings. that game plan eventually comes to a dead end....
i have no desire to run rallyx.
i do occasionally run daily challenges, but only having 1 car (at the time) i couldnt do many.

Also it ruins the fun. if you run a perfect stage and finish 2-8 seconds back, it just sucks all the fun out, just not enjoyable.
I never ran into money issues in the game up to this point.

I'm still having fun. It does get more difficult as it goes along, as it should, but I haven't gotten frustrated with it being too difficult at this point. I'll let you know if I get there.

Every review I've seen says this is a difficult game though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #1509
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

one key thing i picked up on is in DR2 ALL the roads are crowned. unlike DR was mostly flat and cambered to help you.
so its absolutly critical to place your car at the apex, and on the inside half of the road. ie putting your inside tires in that low ditch every road has on the inside. if you let you car slide out past the mid point of the road or past, the you run into negative camber cause your over the crown of the road, and its very difficult to keep the car on the road at speed.
just a little tidbit i picked up on for this game.

also ive only driven the fulvia and the 22b i may have shot my self in the foot like the stratos, it may simply be a harder car to drive in the game. dont know why it would be with its f/awd layout. and it wasnt difficult in DR1.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #1510
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,512
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
one key thing i picked up on is in DR2 ALL the roads are crowned. unlike DR was mostly flat and cambered to help you.
so its absolutly critical to place your car at the apex, and on the inside half of the road. ie putting your inside tires in that low ditch every road has on the inside. if you let you car slide out past the mid point of the road or past, the you run into negative camber cause your over the crown of the road, and its very difficult to keep the car on the road at speed.
just a little tidbit i picked up on for this game.

also ive only driven the fulvia and the 22b i may have shot my self in the foot like the stratos, it may simply be a harder car to drive in the game. dont know why it would be with its f/awd layout. and it wasnt difficult in DR1.

Yeah the roads are crowned for sure. And the ditches on the side of the roads will get you. Track deformation really affects the car too.

I think it all adds up to an awesome experience. When you are blazing down a dirt road wide open, narrowly missing hillsides that would put you on your lid and then hitting the apex perfectly with a controlled slide it's so rewarding because it's not easy.

If I get to the point where I am having trouble competing I too will get frustrated quickly.

Maybe if the career is too difficult they'll lower the AI or give you the option to change it. Email them or at least chime in on Steam. I emailed them about the inability to change the handbrake button and they said they'd pass it onto the engineers.

My biggest complaint is there's no real path or progression in the career. You pick a car, run the series and then buy a new car and repeat the same series. The performance of the cars improve with driving which is cool if not realistic. Besides that she cash you don't have much incentive to want to do better except for winning.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #1511
Tiny Truck Hoarder
 
HumboldtEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Humboldt county
Posts: 4,012
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

I still haven't played DR2 but I do remember how challenging DR1 was. That game really made me sweat and really care about being clean and not wrecking. You absolutely need to be concentrating at all times. It is truly a difficult game but I cant think of many others that have such big consequences for your actions so that does make it a pretty unique experience.

I really need to get back into sim racing, its been maybe 6 months since I last drove.

I dont know if DR2 does this but I recall DR1 would have a time split for the lead cars and I would often be ahead by a decent margin and then poof right at the end of the race that margin disappeared and I was 30 seconds behind or something.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #1512
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,512
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I still haven't played DR2 but I do remember how challenging DR1 was. That game really made me sweat and really care about being clean and not wrecking. You absolutely need to be concentrating at all times. It is truly a difficult game but I cant think of many others that have such big consequences for your actions so that does make it a pretty unique experience.

I really need to get back into sim racing, its been maybe 6 months since I last drove.

I dont know if DR2 does this but I recall DR1 would have a time split for the lead cars and I would often be ahead by a decent margin and then poof right at the end of the race that margin disappeared and I was 30 seconds behind or something.

DR2 is even more challenging!

I just ran some more RallyX. Maybe I don't understand completely how it works because I won all four qualifying rounds, the semi finals and the finals and I finished in second...

The AI is cheap as hell and it seems to get worse. Not only will they drive into you like you're not there, but when that doesn't work the lap traffic will magically spin out on the landing of a blind jump. Or they'll get sideways in front of you and if you go left they'll overcorrect to the left right into you. That's cheap and dirty BS.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #1513
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

saw this on FB



STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #1514
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 480
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

Get Grid 2 free here for anyone interested.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/g...content=Banner
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #1515
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,512
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Get Grid 2 free here for anyone interested.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/g...content=Banner
Heck yeah I'll give it a shot! Thanks!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #1516
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 480
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

It's very simcade if memory serves. But had decent FFB, and various driving disciplines. I haven't picked it up in a long time because it doesn't VR support.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #1517
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

hmm car list says it has a C6Z... says you get it via a level 15 vehicle challenge
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #1518
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

https://www.facebook.com/23124637123...6242649113199/


wtf! thats a serious setup!
i love the 3rd comment
"This is going to be on PornHub in like 3 days."


ill be honest i could probly watch a braless front view for a couple minutes
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #1519
~THE SCALE SHOP~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KILLEEN TX
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

this should be in the awesome thread!














STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #1520
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 480
Default Re: PC Sim Racing

That's a great way to sell it!
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROJECT CARS sim game slowlearner Chit Chat 14 08-07-2013 12:51 PM
Any sim racers on here? Hellbilly Chit Chat 30 07-10-2008 11:12 AM
Flight Sim in Google Earth SlinkySam Chit Chat 2 09-03-2007 03:02 PM
rock crawling sim or game? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 2 11-20-2006 11:10 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com