~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: PC Sim Racing

interesting!

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #1082
Quarry Creeper

How it feels with new iRacing content and cars and a bricked Oculus Rift.

hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #1083
~THE SCALE SHOP~

sweet baby jesus!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #1084

Stadium Super Trucks are so fun to watch and I'd love to drive one.

Automobilista has them in that game, but I've found them impossible to drive.

This is a fun last lap to watch though!

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #1085
Quarry Creeper

Both the Porsche CanAm cars they added to PC2 are a handful to say the least. They make the Zakspeed Capri seem tame if that tells you anything.

Stadium super trucks are cool, too bad Automobilista doesn't have VR support or I'd have bought it long ago. I can't go back to pancake racing, for me at least, my lap times are more consistent in VR.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #1086
Quarry Creeper

Nikki seems like a really cool guy

Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #1087
Quarry Creeper

Project Cars 2 for $28, base game.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/project-cars-2-game
Old 03-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #1088
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #1089
Quarry Creeper

That car is terrible! I've had it for a while, and it's just way off from the iRacing version. And you know I'm a big fan of the DP.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #1090
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i thought for sure this was PC2 with the helmet cam and focus blur, plus VR, but its actually AC.
used google translator to english
"Video of the Driver eye series, I intend to simulate what a pilot has to do from the onboard, it is created with the Corsican asset and the oculus, has defocus filters, helmet, color tones, stained visor effect and some more filter, I hope I wish you like it"

Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #1091
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for planning my evening for me Cory!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #1092
Quarry Creeper

R3E free weekend starts NOW! So, who's up for some online action in R3E this weekend since we can run whatever we want?

FREE Weekend coming up!

Starting now and lasting the whole weekend, everyone will have access to all content in RaceRoom for FREE!

It's been a while since we did this last time and lots of things have changed since then. RaceRoom now supports VR, true triple screens and features more than 120 cars and 40 highly detailled tracks to choose from.

Many of the cars physcis have been revised, such as the GT3, WTCC, DTM, TT Cup & more.

Three different Porsche race cars have been added recently, as well as US, Asian and European tracks.

Sim Racing System has launched RaceRoom championships, offering 24/7 scheduled online races, incl. driver rating and matchmaking, redefining the online racing experience for many fans of online racing.

Check it out at: Sim Racing System

We welcome you all to see what you have missed, free of charge - all weekend long.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #1093

Check out these track mods for AC. They are paid content, but they look great!

Lemax Assetto Corsa Mods
Old 04-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #1094
Quarry Creeper

I'd really to try some drifting again in AC, maybe this weekend. Can you guys download these two cars so we can have them in our lobby please?

Vette

https://acdriftingpro.com/files/file...olet-corvette/

'32 Ford

https://acdriftingpro.com/files/file...rd-1932-coupe/
Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #1095

I'll try the cars for sure. I like drifting, but I'm a one corner drifter more than somebody who can do it well and link corners together.

Last night was fun even on bias ply tires. I kinda like loosey goosey cars that don't drive themselves.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #1096
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I had a lot of fun too!

Drifting takes some practice for sure. I was determined to get it, so I just took a Saturday afternoon and spent a couple hours until it clicked. The mod cars are much better than the in game cars IMO too. Also, it's been a LONG time since I've slid a real car, and the game doesn't behave exactly like a real car, but it's pretty damn close with good mod cars. You just have to learn when to let the wheel rotate, and how to catch it with the combination of letting off the throttle, using the brakes, and when to grab the wheel again. Watching some D1 or FD videos of real life drifting help too, as it gives you an idea of how to initiate on corner entry without going overboard and looping out. REALLY listen to what they're doing with the throttle, it's pretty close to what you'd do in AC. I love drifting because of the amount of car control involved. Take all the controls you'd use in a race, and now add another one, the handbrake, and now use all of that to balance the car right on the edge of spinning out.

A handbrake is a must also for linking drifts together, and fine control over the car. I think I'm the only one with a handbrake currently, but it does get used for more than just drifting if you're into rally games, or other drift games, staging the car at the start, etc.

And, just because, I'll whore out my vid again LOL

Last edited by hpiguy; 04-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #1097
I wanna be Dave

okay. sim racing. drifting. steering wheel rigs. IM IN.

one problem... and i'm putting on my flame suit for this...

i'm a console guy.

yeah yeah ok i know... but there are ways to make them into decent sim rigs. BUT... none of the cool mods you guys are discussing.
no assetto corsa
no spin tires
no... nothing. really. just forza DLC. ok SOME DLC for AC but nothing great.

i just kinda accepted the fact that i cant play "the cool stuff" and have to be at the mercy of the big game studios that don't give a rip about the 20% of gamers who would actually play with DLC based on popular mods.

fast forward to yesterday when my son goes
"hey dad, can i get a fanatec wheel for my birthday? with a handbrake?"
i says to him i says "short answer, no. long answer..."
pretty much explained to him everything i said above. and that sim rigs are CRAZY expensive, if you do them right. and doing them wrong is unacceptable. then i explained how i tried the xbox wheel for xbox 360 and it was one of the most awful "racing" experiences i ever had. mashing the brake and the pedals go skidding across the floor, not to mention zero feedback on the brake pedal (i actually added an HPI RS4 spring behind it to stiffen it lol).
so really he just asked for like a $3k b day present.
and to REALLY do it right, that is excluding the price of a decent PC to run the games on, screen(s), and sound.
not to mention, i have no place to put all this.

so to the experts i say...

HALP!!!!!!

honestly the dude really disserves it. he gets good grades, i get complimented all the time how well behaved he is (truly a rare gentleman in this modern society) plus...
HE CAN DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF ANYTHING at only NINE years of age! he is a beast at racing games and usually beats me, and he can actually drift really well too! (did i mention i used to drift 1:1 and i would LOVE to have a sim rig to drift in AC, i could even teach you guys!) his initials are AJ(R), just like Foyt and yes that was semi-intentional.
so really until he gets a license, its either this or karting.

halp? advice? encouragement? words? suggestions? make fun of a console guy? anything?

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-06-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #1098
Quarry Creeper

Don't be so quick to dismiss consoles. I started out on a XB1, with a wheel setup, and a wheelstand for my wheel/pedals and it was perfectly fine. You have assetto corsa, dirt rally, and project cars 2 all on console at this point. That being said, there is no modding on console, and honestly I'd be lost without the ability to run mods these days. I sold my console to offset the cost of the PC, and it sold within 24hrs to a buddy of mine. The GT omega wheelstand (which can be converted into a full on cockpit later) was $150 shipped I think, and folds up for storage when not in use. You can get a better deal on a complete Thrustmaster setup than Fanatec also. BUT, now that I own some Fanatec gear, and the Fact that Cory has had two wheels die on him, I personally feel the build quality on the Fanatec gear is way beyond anything that Thrustmaster offers. But, that's just my opinion, but many in the sim community would agree with that. So it really all comes down to cost; For about $700 or so you could get him setup with a wheelstand and a complete TM wheel setup. But you won't have a separate shifter or handbrake. Both of which run about $150 each. If you're on PS4, I'm pretty sure you can run separate inputs so you can use a Fanatec handbrake, but Xbox only accepts one input at a time. I started small, sold off other toys, and slowly built up my rig to what it is now. I've learned a lot, and if I had it to do over again, I'd go a different route for my cockpit. BUT, I also have dedicated space for my rig so I never have to move it. Also, think of it this way, I could not buy a shitbox beater real life sports car for what I have invested in my sim rig. And entry fees and tires alone will break you doing track days in a real car, just ask Cory, and I'm sure he'll tell you. I have no doubt it's freaking awesome, it's just not in my budget, and there's nowhere to do it locally anyway. You can also look on CL and the like for used gear, it does pop up from time to time. A guy on Reddit bought a complete setup, cockpit, wheel, pedals, shifter, pc, everything for like $800 the other day. I would have to be sure everything worked though, or buy it from someone I know.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
okay. sim racing. drifting. steering wheel rigs. IM IN.

one problem... and i'm putting on my flame suit for this...

i'm a console guy.

yeah yeah ok i know... but there are ways to make them into decent sim rigs. BUT... none of the cool mods you guys are discussing.
no assetto corsa
no spin tires
no... nothing. really. just forza DLC. ok SOME DLC for AC but nothing great.

i just kinda accepted the fact that i cant play "the cool stuff" and have to be at the mercy of the big game studios that don't give a rip about the 20% of gamers who would actually play with DLC based on popular mods.

fast forward to yesterday when my son goes
"hey dad, can i get a fanatec wheel for my birthday? with a handbrake?"
i says to him i says "short answer, no. long answer..."
pretty much explained to him everything i said above. and that sim rigs are CRAZY expensive, if you do them right. and doing them wrong is unacceptable. then i explained how i tried the xbox wheel for xbox 360 and it was one of the most awful "racing" experiences i ever had. mashing the brake and the pedals go skidding across the floor, not to mention zero feedback on the brake pedal (i actually added an HPI RS4 spring behind it to stiffen it lol).
so really he just asked for like a $3k b day present.
and to REALLY do it right, that is excluding the price of a decent PC to run the games on, screen(s), and sound.
not to mention, i have no place to put all this.

so to the experts i say...

HALP!!!!!!

honestly the dude really disserves it. he gets good grades, i get complimented all the time how well behaved he is (truly a rare gentleman in this modern society) plus...
HE CAN DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF ANYTHING at only NINE years of age! he is a beast at racing games and usually beats me, and he can actually drift really well too! (did i mention i used to drift 1:1 and i would LOVE to have a sim rig to drift in AC, i could even teach you guys!) his initials are AJ(R), just like Foyt and yes that was semi-intentional.
so really until he gets a license, its either this or karting.

halp? advice? encouragement? words? suggestions? make fun of a console guy? anything?
Because of his age and not knowing if he's going to stick with sim racing I'd get him a wheel that's compatible with his console, but also compatible with a PC should he want to go that route in the future.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #1100
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i gotta disagree Shinchu . i started with a $500 computer and a $199 logitech G27 wheel. you can clamp them to a desk. or build a wood or pvc rig. lots of plans out there.

get him started. if he has that kind of enthusiasm at that age it could actually take him somewhere. iRacing to proffesional racer is actually getting very common these day. McLaren actually hired there latest test driver from this method as well.

all of us are too old to go anywhere professionally

and all of us here started on consol. well except Tommy.

PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROJECT CARS sim game slowlearner Chit Chat 14 08-07-2013 11:51 AM
Any sim racers on here? Hellbilly Chit Chat 30 07-10-2008 10:12 AM
Flight Sim in Google Earth SlinkySam Chit Chat 2 09-03-2007 02:02 PM
rock crawling sim or game? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 2 11-20-2006 10:10 PM