Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: PC Sim Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #1381

Default Re: PC Sim Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
BeamNG is on sale for $20 and it's a great time waster. Driving fast is complimented by occasionally folding your car around a tree like a taco.
I'm not sure who you're kidding, but I purposely try to make the fiercest crashes!

Very fun game and definitely worth the $20 IMO. I have found it to be buggy, but that's what you often find with a game with a ton of mods.

Odd side story: I have very odd and vivid dreams and they seem to come out of nowhere. I always dream about random stuff. Anyway, the other night I had a super odd dream that I was supposed to fly down to Texas and hangout with the "Corvette guys" (that's how I refer to you sim racing buddies to my girlfriend since I get tired of explaining the Corvette forum ). My girlfriend and mom were getting ready to take me to the airport and as we were about to leave the house my fear of flying got the best of me and I chickened out. But then I magically appeared in Texas. I was inside and some people were outside and one of you or your friends (hard to figure out who is who when I have never even seen your faces and have no idea what you look like! ) was getting attacked by a dog. When I looked outside it was a friendly bulldog just lying in the grass not some ferocious attack dog. And then I woke up...no kidding!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #1382
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I thought the whole point of BeamNG was as a physics/crash sim. Supposedly they've greatly improved the FFB in a recent update. I've literally never viewed it as a race/driving sim though. Some of the mod maps have some insane jumps in them though.

I'm jealous that you even dream Tim. I rarely dream anymore, maybe a handful of times a year. Looking at my sleep analysis that my Garmin provides I think I just don't go into a deep enough sleep for long enough to dream. When I was younger, before choosing my career, I had incredibly vivid dreams all the time, and would wake a lot of times thinking I was still in whatever scene I was in during my dream. I think that subconsciously being so in tune with listening for alerts on my phone for work has a lot to do with it.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #1383
Quarry Creeper

I have enjoyed the real flight simulators before but not sure if there is any racing.....RF8 Just released with all the horizon planes on it too. Only other sim I've enjoyed was Grand Tourismo.....
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #1384
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Odd side story: I have very odd and vivid dreams and they seem to come out of nowhere. I always dream about random stuff. Anyway, the other night I had a super odd dream that I was supposed to fly down to Texas and hangout with the "Corvette guys" (that's how I refer to you sim racing buddies to my girlfriend since I get tired of explaining the Corvette forum ). My girlfriend and mom were getting ready to take me to the airport and as we were about to leave the house my fear of flying got the best of me and I chickened out. But then I magically appeared in Texas. I was inside and some people were outside and one of you or your friends (hard to figure out who is who when I have never even seen your faces and have no idea what you look like! ) was getting attacked by a dog. When I looked outside it was a friendly bulldog just lying in the grass not some ferocious attack dog. And then I woke up...no kidding!

haha yeah its weird trying to explain to the wife whos blowing up my phone with texts. its hard to explain sim buddies youve never met

another related story to your dream, dad comes in this morning and tells me his dream from last night (we work together)
i went to COTA and got signed by some major race team there, but then i got into a big knock down drag out fight, MLB style, with a bunch of people there. dreams are crazy!
im such i light sleeper with my insomnia i dont dream. unless i drink, then i will sometimes have a dream.

also i have very big real world news possibly related to this soon........................
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #1385
Quarry Creeper

Insomnia here too Cory, I feel you pain man. Hoping it's good news buddy!
Old 11-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #1386
~THE SCALE SHOP~

forgot to mention i bought the $19 PC2 monday night
the few laps ive run i dont have any complaints about FFB yet. definatly better. not blatenly bad like PC1. only weird thing i noticed, is when braking on rumble strips it tries to rip the wheel out of your hand and moves the car over and entire lane. weird.
i tried to beat your Z06 at COTA time randy, and did so by a good 7 seconds many laps, BUT i could never keep that ice skate between the paint, and it would invalidate that lap, and the next. so i could never post an official time. keeping it off the paint, my times would probly be pretty close to yours.

i get so frustrated with all street corvettes in sims. the grip levels are SO terrible. and its all sims. its like they all have 195 wide tires, in a rc drift car compound!!
last night i ended the night after several sims back on PC2, i had to go to a Ford Boss 302R on slicks to get the grip im used to.

i dont know if i should be pissed at sims for the lack of grip, or happy at my car for its grip
Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #1387
Quarry Creeper

Well, I'm glad you're at least somewhat happy with PC2. I think it's a much better effort than PC1 for sure. And with the full day/night cycles, weather, and Rallycross it's kind of a unique sim. Running the green hell in the snow in an AWD or RX car is fun as hell! And some things just shine, take the GT3 out with all assists off at Oulton Park, or Bannochbrae, or the BAC mono. Damn what fun!

I wasn't really trying to put down a good lap honestly. I'm still doing PT for the shoulder, so I can't really be fighting the wheel and have to turn it way down right now, which limits my feel for the car. I do agree that the Corvette is really poorly represented in all sims. There's no effing way they sound and handle like that, nobody would ever buy them.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Yeah, I thought the whole point of BeamNG was as a physics/crash sim. Supposedly they've greatly improved the FFB in a recent update. I've literally never viewed it as a race/driving sim though. Some of the mod maps have some insane jumps in them though.

I'm jealous that you even dream Tim. I rarely dream anymore, maybe a handful of times a year. Looking at my sleep analysis that my Garmin provides I think I just don't go into a deep enough sleep for long enough to dream. When I was younger, before choosing my career, I had incredibly vivid dreams all the time, and would wake a lot of times thinking I was still in whatever scene I was in during my dream. I think that subconsciously being so in tune with listening for alerts on my phone for work has a lot to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
haha yeah its weird trying to explain to the wife whos blowing up my phone with texts. its hard to explain sim buddies youve never met

another related story to your dream, dad comes in this morning and tells me his dream from last night (we work together)
i went to COTA and got signed by some major race team there, but then i got into a big knock down drag out fight, MLB style, with a bunch of people there. dreams are crazy!
im such i light sleeper with my insomnia i dont dream. unless i drink, then i will sometimes have a dream.

also i have very big real world news possibly related to this soon........................
I'm a very light sleeper, or at least I was. But lately I've been sleeping like a rock and I think it's because of my sleep apnea. It's weird - I always thought it was a disease that occurred when you got heavy, but I've never been heavy in my life. I never wake up feeling rested though. Except for when I was a kid, I've never been a great sleeper. I've battled with insomnia. There were nights where I never got a minute of sleep. After being up for 2 days straight I'd crash. Thankfully I don't deal with that too much anymore.

During my sleep study in which I was diagnosed with sleep apnea they also discovered I have a "delayed sleep phase disorder." That basically means my body doesn't want to follow the pattern of the sun. It wants to be awake at night and sleeping during the day. So I tell people I'm nocturnal! It made partying and all nighters so easy. People would fall asleep and I'd be ready to go!

It drives my girlfriend nuts now. I wake up exhausted and I can be tired all day long and then around 5 or 6 PM I'll get a burst of energy and I can't sit still.

Cory, you're going to NASCAR, aren't ya? That one race at Daytona where we finished 1, 2 and 3 (on the cool down lap ) is all it took.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 11-28-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #1389
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That one race at Daytona where we finished 1, 2 and 3 (on the cool down lap ) is all it took.

that was so ****ing halarious and quite a emotional roller coaster we will never forget

its kinda like how they say you remember forever ALL the bad stuff that happens on vacation or your wedding etc, but the good stuff slips away quickly.
its so ****ing true!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #1390

BeamNG got an update and I have to say it seems to be a lot more stable...mostly. The mods load and run fine now. But I did have a weird issue where the game was kinda "locking up". Everything worked except my keyboard. If I used the buttons on my steering wheel I was fine. But I couldn't hit ESC for the menu, etc at times. It was really odd. But I was also effing with my computer trying to setup Pi-Hole (still unsucessful at that ) so I'm not ready to blame the game for that issue 100% until I'm sure.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #1391
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Old 12-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #1392

Did anybody get this email from Fanatec? It was posted on the iRacing group on Facebook.

"To all customers waiting for the Podium Wheel Base

I can imagine how much you’re looking forward to the release of this product. We’ve been working tirelessly to optimise and improve long term reliability, implementing many changes during the development phase. Until recently, it was looking very good that we could fulfill our estimated availability date in early December, but in final testing we discovered a serious issue which affects about 0.07% of the units produced so far.

We discussed if this really justifies a delay, but I made the painful decision to stop delivery. This product must be nothing less than flawless! In electronics design there’s always a chance that something can be missed, but if we are already aware of an issue, we cannot ship the unit. Not our flagship.

The problem requires thorough analysis, and we need to determine if we can rework the electronics of the units which were already produced or need to make new electronics. It is therefore important to adjust our realistic shipping date to the end of April. If we can begin shipments earlier, then we will do so, of course.

I’m sure you are just as disappointed as we are, but we want to keep you happy, and we want you to stay with us. Of course you are free to cancel your order now, but if you are willing to wait, we are offering a special gift as a gesture of appreciation.

All customers who pre-ordered the Podium Wheel Base DD1 or DD2 up to yesterday will receive a free steering wheel. It will be the new ClubSport Steering Wheel F1 2019 which is due to be released in May next year. It is very similar to the F1 2018 version we just released, but comes in a special and exciting new colour scheme. It is also a limited edition product, with a value of 349,95 USD / Euro

Rest assured that the Podium Series Wheel Bases will be well worth the wait.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."
Old 12-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #1393
Quarry Creeper

I would imagine that it only went out to email addresses that have a pre-order in for one of the wheels. I'm on their email list, and I didn't get that email. That being said, I'd much rather them hold the units and resolve any issues they find than rush a half assed product.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I would imagine that it only went out to email addresses that have a pre-order in for one of the wheels. I'm on their email list, and I didn't get that email. That being said, I'd much rather them hold the units and resolve any issues they find than rush a half assed product.
Oh yeah I'm sure it was just a pre-order list.

It's a good email. Shows what kind of company Fanatec is. Instead of producing products with known issues they are holding off and making it right.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #1395
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Old 12-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #1396
RCC Addict

https://clips.twitch.tv/RoughYummyIguanaJKanStyle
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #1397
~THE SCALE SHOP~

last night we did the CF race with the new day night cycle. started before sundown, and ended pretty damn dark. the shadows, and sun rays are really cool. reflections inside the cockpit were orangey yellow, ie low sun color. would glow at times in direct light.
it wasnt gradual. you could see it drop 5-10% darker every so often instantly, at first when the sun is up it was only every 3-4 laps, then toward then end as the sun set, and dark sets in quick it was happening as much as a couple times a lap.

the open wheel guys with no headlights were struggling at the end with no headlights. they also mentioned the dash lights werent diming on those cars ie no headlight switch to dim them when headlights come on.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 12-10-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #1398
Quarry Creeper

I've let my subscription lapse since I haven't been able to race lately. But I'm betting that the day/night transition and all the effects it brought is a FPS killer for VR users. Was the league race planned to run into the night Cory? Or was that just dynamically assigned time change? With guys running open wheel rigs sans headlights, seems you would want to stay in the daytime.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #1399
~THE SCALE SHOP~

there were 2 guys on VR last night, neither mentioned FPS issues. shadows looked very optimized like all iRacing graphics, pretty simple hard line shadows. not the soft edge stuff from other sims thats FPS killers.

he didnt set it up, just the time of day, which now has like 5 options, the time actually matched real world texas time, but the month was like May or something. so sim sunset was much later than it is currently in real life.
it seems to be all iracing time will now time lapse in the sim as well. not a stagnant time of day.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #1400
Quarry Creeper

Wreckfest is currently on sale for $30, lots of fun.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/wreckfest

PC Sim Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PROJECT CARS sim game slowlearner Chit Chat 14 08-07-2013 11:51 AM
Any sim racers on here? Hellbilly Chit Chat 30 07-10-2008 10:12 AM
Flight Sim in Google Earth SlinkySam Chit Chat 2 09-03-2007 02:02 PM
rock crawling sim or game? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 2 11-20-2006 10:10 PM