Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: High school auto shop resurrection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default High school auto shop resurrection

Hey everyone, a good friend and teacher of mine is trying to resurrect auto shop at my high school. Check out his kick starter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
You don't have to donate, but can you all send this link to friends.
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 10-29-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: High school auto shop resurrection

I loved auto shop back in high school in the 70's, we worked on our own and the teachers cars for just the cost of parts ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I wish i could donate for ya bud,but gotta watch my mulah.but i will definitely spread the word!!!!!

I think its great resurrecting auto shop,not every guy wants to work behind a computer or be the next president or a pencil pusher(nothing against those jobs though)but we are always gonna need mechanics!!!! And it seems your teacher is doing it right with an old school pick up project.i was terrible at a lot of my classes but i was awsome at auto shop.our after school auto shop project was a vw diesel rabbit that we were converting to run on old fryer oil LAME!!!!!!!!!!! i tried to switch the build to a drag car or pretty much anything else besides a vw rabbit,but the teacher wasnt having it.
I wish we had a chance to build what you were!!!
Best of luck dude!!!!!!!!
gearhead79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #4

i was fortunate as hell growing up to have many many shop and art classes from 7th to 12th grade.

sad that today art and shop classes are going away.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I would have taken all the auto shop classes i could in High school...too bad there were none
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

only class I got straight A's in ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
I would have taken all the auto shop classes i could in High school...too bad there were none
wow... taking those classes most definitely put me where i am today. sad to think of there not being any shop classes.

high school we had autoshop 1, 2, and 3, had a lift, alignment rack, wheel balancer, all the toys. also had welding, killer woodshop, sheetmetal...

in jr high i took drafting, small engines, and model rocketry. yep... model rocketry was a class. but you had to learn about some rocket history and math stuff before you built your rocket. small engines was tear down a running briggs and stratton, then put it back together and start it.

art classes were just as deluxe.

douglas county, colo jr and high school had it going on back in the day. ;)
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
wow... taking those classes most definitely put me where i am today. sad to think of there not being any shop classes.

high school we had autoshop 1, 2, and 3, had a lift, alignment rack, wheel balancer, all the toys. also had welding, killer woodshop, sheetmetal...

in jr high i took drafting, small engines, and model rocketry. yep... model rocketry was a class. but you had to learn about some rocket history and math stuff before you built your rocket. small engines was tear down a running briggs and stratton, then put it back together and start it.

Sounds badass!

My grandpa was a high school auto shop teacher for 30+ years back in the day. Needless to say he retired when the school cut funding to auto shop in favor of more traditional education. Shame cause he did some really cool project vehicles with his students.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yep my School had none either.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
only class I got straight A's in ....
I received 2 Achievement Awards at High School graduation...Writing and Industrial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Every year from 7th grade through Senior. I was ahead on classes my senior year and could have skipped my last two classes each day, but took 3 straight of shop class instead!

Quote:
wow... taking those classes most definitely put me where i am today.
I was thinking the same thing...it pretty much set the stage for where I went next. Everyone has that one teacher, that they really feel changed their lives, and mine was Mr. Holloway...my shop teacher
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sadly we dont / dident have classes like that here, so school to me was just one long seemingly never ending nightmare.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i was fortunate as hell growing up to have many many shop and art classes from 7th to 12th grade.
That shows in your beautiful drawings
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

We didn't have much of an auto shop class but I grew up in the shop at home so I was waaaaaaaaaay ahead of the curve in auto shop, small engines, woods and metal shop. I thank my parents for providing the type of upbringing that allowed me to start down that path of learning. I was in the garage from the time I was old enough to walk out to it.

There is an auto shop teacher on Pirate that goes by Mr. S. He's a bad ass that has his class building KOH rigs every year. Lots of companies donate top notch fab tools to his program deservedly so.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
Hey everyone, a good friend and teacher of mine is trying to resurrect auto shop at my high school. Check out his kick starter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
You don't have to donate, but can you all send this link to friends.
Very cool and I wish them success, kids these days can't even change a tire or pull up their pants, don't even mention actually doing engine or transmission work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
I loved auto shop back in high school in the 70's, we worked on our own and the teachers cars for just the cost of parts ....
X2, it was my favorite class, learned much and even got award from my shop teacher because I rebuilt my whole car from the ground up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I received 2 Achievement Awards at High School graduation...Writing and Industrial Arts

Every year from 7th grade through Senior. I was ahead on classes my senior year and could have skipped my last two classes each day, but took 3 straight of shop class instead!

I was thinking the same thing...it pretty much set the stage for where I went next. Everyone has that one teacher, that they really feel changed their lives, and mine was Mr. Holloway...my shop teacher
All sounds familiar, but I had two advanced Auto Shop classes back to back in the afternoon and my awesome stand out teacher was Marvin Weber! We all loved Mister Weber because he had a great sarcastic sense of humor, loved everything mechanical and lead by example pushing us to learn and build more!

Last edited by Natedog; 10-30-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Agreed and sad they are pretty much gone these days.

We had all that stuff too!

Ah yes, I took drafting, model airplanes (balsa wood, tissue paper), metal shop was ended year before I got there unfortunately, or I would have taken that too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Thank you everyone who looked, spread the word, and donated. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately it's not looking good for us. We only have 6 days left.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

In junior high and I kid you not, we had plastic shop, elect. shop, print shop, wood shop and metal shop. In high school we had auto shop, metal shop and auto shop. This was in southern calif. I was down there this last weekend and went by my old junior high and from what I could see their was not one shop class left. Sad.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
In junior high and I kid you not, we had plastic shop, elect. shop, print shop, wood shop and metal shop. In high school we had auto shop, metal shop and auto shop. This was in southern calif. I was down there this last weekend and went by my old junior high and from what I could see their was not one shop class left. Sad.
Lucky! Only had wood shop in high school and that's about it.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote

High school auto shop resurrection - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UTI Auto shop makeover comp!! PLEASE VOTE!! Butterball43 Chit Chat 2 01-13-2012 12:20 AM
Lets see your "School" bodies ... College, High School, etc. Locked Up Paint and Body 15 08-18-2008 12:09 AM
high school Rc_Kid Chit Chat 55 09-05-2007 10:19 PM