Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Electrical question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default Electrical question

I was just wondering, if I have an adjustable power supply and turn it up to like 60V at 0A will it still supply power? Or will I have to turn up the amps to get power? Also, what do amps do? I know tazers work because they have a really high amp rating coupled with 50,000 volts. I just don't want to electrocute my self while messing with my new power supply.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Electrical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
I was just wondering, if I have an adjustable power supply and turn it up to like 60V at 0A will it still supply power?
amphere cannot be zero. It will not supply power.

Quote:
Or will I have to turn up the amps to get power? Also, what do amps do? I know tazers work because they have a really high amp rating coupled with 50,000 volts. I just don't want to electrocute my self while messing with my new power supply.
Yes, as said above you will have to turn up the amphere to get power.

Voltage is like pressure and amphere is like amount of flow.

Everything in the universe is made up of atoms. An atom is a cluster of protons, neutrons and electrons. Protons and neutrons make the nucleus of an atom, where as electrons orbit around this nucleus. Electricity is made up of these electrons. Two out of these three have a charge to them. Protons have positive charge. Neutrons have no charge. Electrons have negative charge. Opposite charges attract each other and Like charges repel each other. This is why positive charged Protons attract negative charged electrons which orbit around them. These electrons when loose their orbit around protons and neutrons, they become free to rome around and are called electricity. Electricity is a bunch of electrons trying to jump into orbit of some atom that does not have the adiquate amount of electrons orbiting it. Atoms loose and gain electrons while rubbing against each other. So if you had to slap someone, there will be some exchange of electrons between the person you slapped and your hand.
To make it easy to understand lets consider 100 electrons are flowing from left to right in a copper wire 1 meter in length. If 1 electron is leading and the other 99 electrons are following one after the other then it is somewhat like 1v @ 1 amphere If 10 electrons are leading in a line and anothe 10 follow them in a single line and so on until all 100 electrons occupy 10 lines, then it is somewhat like 10v @ 10 amphere.

In reality, do not relate number of electrons to voltage, amphere in the ratio I did. I just made it easy to understand.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasers do not have high amphere In fact they have amphere in the range of milliamps. The higher the amphere goes, the thicker conductor we have to use. The high voltage in tasers, makes it possible for electricity to jump any resistance in its path. Any biological body is nothing but resitance for electricity to pass through, hence high voltage helps to easily pass through it, distorting the bodies electrical signals to muscles. The 5V and 1 amphere adapters don't even sting. But take the voltage to 24volts @ 1 ampere and you will feel the pain. 5volt is not capable of effectively penetrating your skin but 24 volt does it with ease.

If tasers had 50000 volts and even 1 amphere current, then the power would be 50000 volts x 1 amphere = 50000 watt.
In 1 HP there are 746 watt. So 50000/746 = 67 HP Any body that gets tased with a 67 HP taser would literally burn down instantly.
Tasers generally have power under 10 watt.

P.S - Do not play with electricity unless you are fully knowledgeable.
Attached Images

Last edited by wings_of_fire; 12-21-2014 at 05:53 AM.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Holy shit there Dr. Science!!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post

Tasers do not have high amphere In fact they have amphere in the range of milliamps. The higher the amphere goes, the thicker conductor we have to use. The high voltage in tasers, makes it possible for electricity to jump any resistance in its path. Any biological body is nothing but resitance for electricity to pass through, hence high voltage helps to easily pass through it, distorting the bodies electrical signals to muscles. The 5V and 1 amphere adapters don't even sting. But take the voltage to 24volts @ 1 ampere and you will feel the pain. 5volt is not capable of effectively penetrating your skin but 24 volt does it with ease.

If tasers had 50000 volts and even 1 amphere current, then the power would be 50000 volts x 1 amphere = 50000 watt.
In 1 HP there are 746 watt. So 50000/746 = 67 HP Any body that gets tased with a 67 HP taser would literally burn down instantly.

I found that out last night when I asked my dad. I'm not even close to an electrician, which is why I asked the question. And I plan on having some sort of rubber barrier between my hands and the source of the electricity too. The power supply I got is a 0-120V 0-1A supply. Thanks for the help BTW.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:

Everything in the universe is made up of atoms. An atom is a cluster of protons, neutrons and electrons. Protons and neutrons make the nucleus of an atom, where as electrons orbit around this nucleus. Electricity is made up of these electrons. Two out of these three have a charge to them. Protons have positive charge. Neutrons have no charge. Electrons have negative charge. Opposite charges attract each other and Like charges repel each other. This is why positive charged Protons attract negative charged electrons which orbit around them.
You could have left this part out though. I did graduate with A's and B's in science.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
amphere cannot be zero. It will not supply power.

Yes, as said above you will have to turn up the amphere to get power.

Voltage is like pressure and amphere is like amount of flow.

Everything in the universe is made up of atoms. An atom is a cluster of protons, neutrons and electrons. Protons and neutrons make the nucleus of an atom, where as electrons orbit around this nucleus. Electricity is made up of these electrons. Two out of these three have a charge to them. Protons have positive charge. Neutrons have no charge. Electrons have negative charge. Opposite charges attract each other and Like charges repel each other. This is why positive charged Protons attract negative charged electrons which orbit around them. These electrons when loose their orbit around protons and neutrons, they become free to rome around and are called electricity. Electricity is a bunch of electrons trying to jump into orbit of some atom that does not have the adiquate amount of electrons orbiting it. Atoms loose and gain electrons while rubbing against each other. So if you had to slap someone, there will be some exchange of electrons between the person you slapped and your hand.
To make it easy to understand lets consider 100 electrons are flowing from left to right in a copper wire 1 meter in length. If 1 electron is leading and the other 99 electrons are following one after the other then it is somewhat like 1v @ 1 amphere If 10 electrons are leading in a line and anothe 10 follow them in a single line and so on until all 100 electrons occupy 10 lines, then it is somewhat like 10v @ 10 amphere.

In reality, do not relate number of electrons to voltage, amphere in the ratio I did. I just made it easy to understand.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technically, there's issues with this. Its accurate with an old model of the atom but the "modern/current" model is much more complicated, especially when it comes to the electrons and how/why they stay around nucleus...but it's good for getting a picture across.

Also, describing how "electricity" flows, really depends on what type of conductor you're using and going further than whats taught in k-12 and introductory college courses...there's a lot of different relations made to try and explain electricity to something mechanical. But they're all wrong in one way or another and need an aspect or two from many different mechanical examples to explain electricity...there's more ways than just moving electrons to make electricity.

I'm not really going to go in depth, mainly because I have archived it all into a deep hole in my brain and i don't want to dig it all up. But if you're interested this is a good site I have saved in my favorites (Yes, I think i've read it all)...it does a good job at clearing up all the false knowledge you're taught. (the truth is too hard to teach to someone who doesn't give a **** or can't process complex processes...and very time consuming to cover it all the right way)

Articles on "Electricity" . . . . WJ Beaty

Quote:
You could have left this part out though. I did graduate with A's and B's in science.
Science classes lie to you until you're in 300+ level college courses...then they still lie to you but its the best truth that we know at the time (usually).

So while you think what he said common, other people learned something else.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Got Worms?

Here's a decent overview snippet from one of pages

Quote:
Voltage-driven charge-flows
First of all, you must abandon the idea that current travels in transistors or flows inside of wires. Yes, you heard me right. Current does not flow. Electric current never flows, since an electric current is not a stuff. Electric current is a flow of something else. (Ask yourself this: what's the stuff that flows in a river, is it called "current?" Or is it called "water?")

Since a current is a flow of charge, the common expression "flow of current" should be avoided, since literally it means "flow of flow of charge." - MODERN COLLEGE PHYSICS, Richards, Sears, Wehr, Zemanski
So what flows inside of wires?
The stuff that moves within wires is not named Electric Current. Intead it is called Electric Charge. It's the charge that flows, never the current. The motion of charges can vanish, and the motion can appear. But the motion itself doesn't flow along, it's the charges which flow. And in rivers (or in plumbing,) it's the water that flows, not the "current." Analogy: we cannot understand plumbing until we stop assuming that the pipes are empty, while also believing in a magical stuff called "current." We must learn that pipes are already full; that "water" flows inside them. The same is true with circuits. Wires are not filled with "flow of Current," they are pre-filled with charge. Charge which can move. Electric charge is real stuff; it's carried by physical particles, and it can move around with a real velocity and a real direction. Charge behaves much like a "stuff," like a gas or liquid. But electric current is different from charge: charge is like a stuff, but current is not a stuff. If we experiment with concepts; if we try deciding to ignore "current," and instead go and carefully examine the behavior of the moving charges in great detail, we can burn off the clouds of fog that block our understanding of electronics.

Second: the charges found within conductors do not push themselves along, but instead they're pushed by "potential difference;" they're pushed by the voltage-fields within the conductive material. Charges are not squirted out of the power supply as if the power supply was some sort of water tank. If you imagine that the charges leave through the negative terminal of the power supply; and if you think that the charges then spread throughout the hollow pipes of the circuit, then you've made a fundamental mistake. If you think that the charges are provided by the power supply, then you've made a fundamental mistake. Wires do not act like "empty electron-pipes." A power supply does not provide any electrons. Power supplies certainly create currents, or they cause currents, but remember, we're removing that word "current." To create a flow of charges, a power supply does not inject any charges into the wires. The power supply is only a pump. A pump can supply a pumping pressure. Pumps never supply the water being pumped.

Third: have you discovered the big 'secret' of visualizing electric circuits?

ALL CONDUCTORS ARE ALREADY FULL OF CHARGE
Wires and silicon ...both behave like pre-filled water pipes or water tanks. The "water" is the vast population of movable charged particles of the conductor. Electric circuits are based on the "full pipes analogy." This simple idea is usually obscured by the phrases "flow of current," or "power supplies send out current." We end up thinking that wires are like hollow pipes. We end up visualizing a mysterious substance called Current which flows through them. Nope. (Once we get rid of that word "current," we can discover fairly stunning insights into simple circuits, eh?)
If circuits are like plumbing, then none of the "pipes" of a circuit are ever empty. This idea is extremely important, and without it we cannot understand semiconductors ...or even conductors! Metals contain a vast quantity of movable electrons which forms a sort of "electric fluid" within the metal. A simple hunk of copper is like a water tank! Physicists call this fluid by the name "electron sea of metals," or "the ocean of charge." Semiconductors are always full of this movable "charge-stuff." The movable charge is in there even when a transistor is sitting on the shelf and disconnected from everything. When a voltage is applied across a piece of silicon, those charges already within the material are driven into motion. Also note that the charge within wires is ...uncharged. Every movable electron has a positive proton nearby, so even though the metal contains a vast sea of charge, there is no net charge on average. Wires contain "uncharged" charge. Better call it "cancelled charge." Yet even though the electrons are cancelled by the nearby protons, the electrons can still flow among the protons. Cancelled charge can still move around, so it's possible to have flows of charge in an uncharged metal.
OK, since the "pipes" are already full of "liquid," then in order to understand circuitry, we should NOT trace out the path starting at the terminals of the power supply. Instead, we can start with any component on the schematic. If a voltage is applied across that component, then the charges within that component will start to flow. Let's modify the old "flashlight explanation" which we all were taught in grade school. Here's the corrected version:

AN ACCURATE FLASHLIGHT EXPLANATION:
Wires are full of vast amounts of movable electric charge (all conductors are!) If you connect some wires into a solid ring, you form an "electric circuit" which contains a movable conveyor-belt made of charges within the metal circle. Next we cut this ring in a couple of places and we insert a battery and a light bulb into the cuts. The battery acts as a charge pump, while the light bulb offers friction. The battery pushes the wires' long row of charges forward, then all the charges flow, then the bulb lights up. Let's follow them.
The charges start out inside the light bulb filament. (No, not inside the battery. We start at the bulb.) The charges are forced to flow along through the filament. Then they flow out into the first wire and move along to the battery's first terminal. (At the same time more charges enter the filament through its other end.) The battery pumps the charges through itself and back out again. The charges leave the second battery terminal, then they flow through the second wire to the bulb. They wind up back inside the light bulb filament. At the same time, the charges in other parts of the circuit are doing the same thing. It's like a solid belt made out of charges. The battery acts as a drive- wheel which is moving the belt. The wires behave as if they hide a conveyor belt inside. The light bulb acts like "friction;" it gets hot when its own natural charges are forced to flow along. The battery speeds up the entire belt, while the friction of the light bulb slows it down again. And so the belt runs constantly, and the light bulb gets hot.

The truth will set you free ...but first it will piss you off! -anon

Brief review:
1. THE STUFF THAT FLOWS THROUGH CONDUCTORS IS CALLED CHARGE. ("CURRENT" DOESN'T FLOW.)
2. THE CHARGE INSIDE CONDUCTORS IS SWEPT ALONG BY VOLTAGE FIELDS.

3. ALL WIRES ARE "PRE-FILLED" WITH A VAST AMOUNT OF MOVABLE CHARGE

4. BATTERIES AND POWER SUPPLIES ARE CHARGE-PUMPS.

5. LIGHT BULBS AND RESISTORS BOTH ACT "FRICTIONALLY."
One last thing: The difference between a conductor and an insulator is simple: conductors are like pre-filled water pipes, while insulators are like pipes choked with ice. Both contain the "electric stuff;" conductors and insulators both are full of electrically charged particles. But the "stuff" inside an insulator can't move. When we apply a pressure-difference along a water pipe, the water flows. But with an empty pipe, there's nothing there, so the flow does not occur. And with an ice-choked pipe, the stuff is trapped and doesn't budge. (In other words, voltage causes charge-flow in conductors, but it can't cause charge-flow in insulators because the charges are either missing, or immobilized.) Many intro textbooks get their definitions wrong. They define a conductor as something through which charges can flow, and insulators supposedly block charges. Nope. Air and vacuum don't block charges, yet air and vacuum are good insulators! In fact, a conductor is something that contains movable charges, while an insulator is something that lacks them. (If a book gets this foundational idea wrong, then most of its later explanations are like buildings built on a pile of garbage, and they tend to collapse.)
One more last thing before diving into transistors. Silicon is very different than metal. Metals are full of movable charges... but so is doped silicon. How are they different? Sure, there's that matter of the "band gap," and the difference between electrons versus holes, but that's not the important thing. The important difference is quite simple: metals have vast quantities of movable charge, but silicon has far less. For example in copper, every single copper atom donates one movable electron to the "sea of charge." Copper's "electric fluid" is very dense; it's just as dense as the copper metal. But in doped silicon, only one in every billion atoms donates a movable charge. Silicon is like a big empty space with an occasional wandering charge. In silicon, you can sweep all the charges out of the material by using a few volts of potential, while in a metal it would take billions of volts to accomplish the same thing. Or in other words:

6. THE CHARGE INSIDE OF SEMICONDUCTORS IS LIKE A COMPRESSIBLE GAS, WHILE THE CHARGE INSIDE OF METALS IS LIKE A DENSE AND INCOMPRESSIBLE LIQUID.
Sweeping away the charges in a material is the same as converting that material from a conductor to an insulator. If silicon is like a rubber hose, then it's a hose which contains compressible gas. We can easily squeeze it shut and stop the flow. But if copper is also like a rubber hose, then instead, it's like a hose full of iron slugs. You can squeeze and squeeze, but you can't smash them out of the way. But with air hoses and with silicon conductors, even a small sideways pressure can pinch the pathway shut and stop the flow.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
I just don't want to electrocute my self while messing with my new power supply.
I'll give you some advice my dad told me.

Don't put your fingers where you won't put your pecker
Old 12-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Science classes lie to you until you're in 300+ level college courses...then they still lie to you but its the best truth that we know at the time (usually).

So while you think what he said common, other people learned something else.
You do learn this stuff in school. Well, at least in california you do. Atom structure is basic stuff. Proton and neutrons in the nucleus, and electrons "orbiting" around it. Besides, schools pretty much do nothing but lie. You'll use this math for the rest of your life my ass.

Quote:
I'll give you some advice my dad told me.

Don't put your fingers where you won't put your pecker
I've stuck my fingers in tons of things I'd never stick my ding dong in. You can do with out a finger or two, but the ding dong gets the presidential treatment. But, when it comes to electricity all the body parts are kept away from stuff that'll zap my ass.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You'll use this math for the rest of your life my ass.
Most people don't realize they are using Algebra and Geometry on a daily basis.

Every time you do the math at the gas pump to figure how much gas you can get with the cash available you're using Algebra...
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
You do learn this stuff in school. Well, at least in california you do. Atom structure is basic stuff. Proton and neutrons in the nucleus, and electrons "orbiting" around it. Besides, schools pretty much do nothing but lie. You'll use this math for the rest of your life my ass.
Atom structure is not basic stuff and no one knows exactly how it is structured. Your definition is wrong when looking at some more modern models and right when looking at old (known to be wrong) models.

They teach the old model because it's easy...but it is wrong. You were taught the bohr model of the atom which is very easy to talk about and in most cases the "outcome" of an occurrence is usually predictable. But it has it's short comings

The "current" model is the quantum model.

Here's a video explaining it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accyCUzasa0

Also, there are more complex models out there based off the quantum model and may other different models that came before hand. But the base quantum model is the current one that is often taught and does a much better job at predicting the atom compared to the bohr model which is taught until you get into high level science classes when the differences matter. I'd give you a link to a more complex current model I learned about but I don't feel like digging my notes out to get the name of it.

But to get a better a feel of the atom you need to dive deep into quantum mechanics, which is a very confusing place.

Also, an atom is more than protrons, neutrons, and electrons...you have to go deep. Such as that protons and neutrons are made from quarks and other subatomic particles...it gets more complicated too.

Quote:
I've stuck my fingers in tons of things I'd never stick my ding dong in. You can do with out a finger or two, but the ding dong gets the presidential treatment. But, when it comes to electricity all the body parts are kept away from stuff that'll zap my ass.

If you're perfectly fine losing a finger, then good for you
Old 12-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
Most people don't realize they are using Algebra and Geometry on a daily basis.

Every time you do the math at the gas pump to figure how much gas you can get with the cash available you're using Algebra...
But, that's simpler algebra. I'm talking about when you start throwing in letters like x and y. Very few people have to solve problems like the ones taught in higher courses like algebra 2. Most of it is the lower algebra like geometry as you said. I was doing good with geometry until they started introducing trig.

Quote:
Atom structure is not basic stuff and no one knows exactly how it is structured. Your definition is wrong when looking at some more modern models and right when looking at old (known to be wrong) models.

They teach the old model because it's easy...but it is wrong. You were taught the bohr model of the atom which is very easy to talk about and in most cases the "outcome" of an occurrence is usually predictable. But it has it's short comings

The "current" model is the quantum model.

Here's a video explaining it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accyCUzasa0

Also, there are more complex models out there based off the quantum model and may other different models that came before hand. But the base quantum model is the current one that is often taught and does a much better job at predicting the atom compared to the bohr model which is taught until you get into high level science classes when the differences matter. I'd give you a link to a more complex current model I learned about but I don't feel like digging my notes out to get the name of it.

But to get a better a feel of the atom you need to dive deep into quantum mechanics, which is a very confusing place.

Also, an atom is more than protrons, neutrons, and electrons...you have to go deep. Such as that protons and neutrons are made from quarks and other subatomic particles...it gets more complicated too.

If you're perfectly fine losing a finger, then good for you
I stopped at chemistry and haven't started college yet so my science is still the out dated high school version. Most of the stuff we know about atoms is mostly guessing anyways since they're so small. Maybe one day we'll be able to actually know what an atom really looks like.

And you can work around a missing finger or two. A missing johnson is a different story, you only get one of those.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Algebra ALWAYS has a letter in it... and yes you use those letters and the algebraic procces everytime you do math to answer a question. You just don't realize it...

Geometry is not algebra. It's shapes...now you can/do use algebra to solve geometric problems.

And believe it or not... you do Calculus in everyday life to.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:

And believe it or not... you do Calculus in everyday life to.
Can you expand on this a little more?

Electrical question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
electrical help openeagle Newbie General 8 03-02-2010 07:53 PM
Electrical problem makahacrawler Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 04-24-2009 07:13 AM
Electrical help wolfattak HPI Wheely King 9 12-26-2007 02:15 PM
Need some electrical help..... Thorsteenster Chit Chat 9 12-24-2007 08:51 AM
Electrical question truegaintfree General Crawlers 2 03-04-2006 08:57 AM