RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   found winchester (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/522250-found-winchester.html)

badhoopty 01-14-2015 08:56 PM

found winchester

1 Attachment(s)
you guys see this? really cool! i thought finding arrowheads and shark teeth was cool...

Attachment 306483

132 Year-old Model 1873 found against a tree at Great Basin National Park - Winchester Repeating Arms Article

much better read and images on the great basin nat park fb page.

Chiphead 01-14-2015 09:07 PM

Re: found winchester

I have been seeing it on Facebook. Very cool find. The Great Basin National Park is fairly close to me. I have been there several times and wonder where in the park they found that?!? :???:

FYI... Great Basin National Park = least visited park in the country.

badhoopty 01-14-2015 09:24 PM

i find it completely fascinating. if the guy met his demise while camping or something it'd be cool to find more artifacts that might shed a little more light on what might have happened.

bob1961 01-14-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiphead (Post 5114212)

why it was never found till now....

nmanuel01 01-14-2015 09:37 PM

Someone posted its the least visited park in the country, also it blends in pretty well.

wings_of_fire 01-14-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 5114233)
i find it completely fascinating. if the guy met his demise while camping or something it'd be cool to find more artifacts that might shed a little more light on what might have happened.

I had the same thing going in my mind...

THX_138 01-14-2015 09:41 PM

Definately sounds like a location to spend a full day with a metal detector"thumbsup"

nmanuel01 01-14-2015 09:51 PM

I'm sure you'd find nice artifacts there!

wings_of_fire 01-14-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX_138 (Post 5114255)
Definately sounds like a location to spend a full day with a metal detector"thumbsup"

Bracesdad "thumbsup"

KJ10 01-15-2015 01:19 AM

They should not have messed with it. Just made a "shrine."

Natedog 01-15-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 5114201)
you guys see this? really cool! i thought finding arrowheads and shark teeth was cool...

Attachment 306483

132 Year-old Model 1873 found against a tree at Great Basin National Park - Winchester Repeating Arms Article

much better read and images on the great basin nat park fb page.

Yes, very cool and interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiphead (Post 5114212)
I have been seeing it on Facebook. Very cool find. The Great Basin National Park is fairly close to me. I have been there several times and wonder where in the park they found that?!? :???:

NIce, just looked it up on map, looks like great camp and crawl area. Described as natural area with cave system and hiking. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 5114233)

Yes, I was thinking what stories it could tell, very interesting to know what happened to the owner(s) and their party.

jmz6 01-15-2015 04:24 PM

That is a nice find.

Back in the early 90's I found the remains of an old black powder shotgun at the base of a tree on private property. (I was working for a land surveyor at the time so we had permission to be there) All the wood was long rotted, but I dug up all the metal parts I could find (I had a metal detector with me). The metal parts and barrel were all in very rough condition being along the edge of a swamp, it was impossible to read the lettering on it due to rust pitting, I am sure some gun expert would be able to identify it. Not sure of the age but it was odd that someone would have leaned a gun against a tree (barrel up) and just walked away from it. Still a cool find though.

I wish I would have kept it, but I gave it to my boss at the time and he had/has it on display in his office. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

BTW: This was northwestern New Jersey near Pennsylvania, not in a dry climate.