Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: BMX style bikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default BMX style bikes

Does anyone ride. I have been looking at the Big Ripper. I currently have a Supercross 26" cruiser but it has always been on the smaller side. I checked out the Big Ripper and it feels good. I would not call it high end, but for basic cruising around town, it will work. It's about $600 plus tax locally. I did find a cheaper 29" cruiser called a Framed 29er and its about half the price. Most likely it would be OK, but its completely no name stuff so if it needs upgrades I would be in the same price point as the big ripper.

I know my Supercross is built well, just not quite large enough. Both of the 29's have a 24" top tube, my supercross is just under 22.

Big Ripper

Framed 29er

My supercross

The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default Re: BMX style bikes

Have you looked at the Transition Klunker? More of a cruiser style with big meaty tires. Looks kinda old school too.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
Have you looked at the Transition Klunker? More of a cruiser style with big meaty tires. Looks kinda old school too.
Cool looking bikes, but only a 26. The frame is about the same as my supercross size wise.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Go with the big ripper. Buddy has one I loved riding it. I was always a GT guy. But that bike is smooth.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I was always more into the 20" BMX bikes years ago...I would love to have one again since I live less than 2 miles from a concrete skatepark. As for the larger cruiser sized ones...I'd like to take a spin on something like a Fairdale Bikes "Taj". Great group of guys right there and Taj is a legend. Got my commuter frame from them.

Bikes | Fairdale Bikes
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ripper looks cool, those slicks ride real smooth I bet..looks like its an aluminum frame. The other bike appears steel or chro-mo..has a disc brake but doesn't look like its hydro..not an expensive upgrade though.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I still ride but sold my 20" bmx a couple years ago and went 26" dj(pretty much a 26" bmx but with flickable geometry.me and the fiancé take bike rides quite a bit and i can just cruise in comfort untill i find stuff i use to do on my 20". Its like your Supercross,but the geometry is a little more oriented for being able to throw the bike around.

(Sorry for the crummy pic) this is my specialized p26.it came stock with a manitou circus fork but i threw a snafu pickle 440 rigid fork on it,since i dont dirt jump too much anymore.and it gives it that bmx street feel/look.the fork isnt bent,its just a wierd angle that i took the pic

But if your looking for that bmx feel in a 26", you can also check out a company called stolen.they started out making good 20"bmx parts and frames and completes,but not too long ago they started making a 26" bmx (real bmx geometry)

gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yep, there's quite a few bike riders on this forum. If you're just cruising around town, I have to ask why a bike with BMX / DJ geometry? They're the worst possible bikes made for that purpose honestly. You'd be much better served with a bike that actually fits you while seated and pedaling, like an actual MTB or hybrid. Now if you're actually throwing down street BMX moves, that changes things.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Yep, there's quite a few bike riders on this forum. If you're just cruising around town, I have to ask why a bike with BMX / DJ geometry? They're the worst possible bikes made for that purpose honestly. You'd be much better served with a bike that actually fits you while seated and pedaling, like an actual MTB or hybrid. Now if you're actually throwing down street BMX moves, that changes things.

I just want the simplicity of a BMX bike. The big ripper is cartoonish in size, and because I am also cartoonish in size it feels pretty good.

I have a Cannondale full suspension mountain bike, an Intense Downhill bike, the Supercross cruiser, and probably my favorite is my Phat Cycle lowrider bike. I have been wanting a cruiser that fits.

For Christmas I bought my kid an electric scooter. I was going to buy one, but wanted a kick scooter. After looking around, and again dealing with my size, there was nothing I could easily buy. I found GravityScooter makes a downhill scooter, but with shipping from England it was almost $500 for the frame. So I built this

The deck is a little high, but I have the parts for a V2 model with a low deck height. I had no idea that the reach down to the ground to kick would make so much difference. This one sits around 7" front ground to deck, the V2 model should be about 3.5". Enough to get around without hanging up on everything.

Even high up, this thing was a blast. I have no idea why adult sized scooters are not all over here. It is fun. And I made it in about 4 hours for less than $100 in metal including the machined head tube and disk brake drop outs for the rear.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
...and because I am also cartoonish in size it feels pretty good.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Even high up, this thing was a blast. I have no idea why adult sized scooters are not all over here. It is fun. And I made it in about 4 hours for less than $100 in metal including the machined head tube and disk brake drop outs for the rear.
Man your scooter brings back memories. As a kid I had a kick scooter with BMX bars, full rigid, and 12" wheels and knobby tires. That thing was an absolute blast to ride.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #12

i would love love to have one of the old dyno scooters. or was it gt?

i still have my looptail 20" pk from the mid eighties. never letting that go. also have a 86 haro sport f&f that ive been planning for years on building up just like the one i had bitd, but i lose motivation when i look at ebay and see the prices people want... sadly its cheaper to just buy a restored or real clean stock bike than build one...

i bought a 24" torker twin tube cruiser awhile back hoping i would ride more, and its fun but still a little small for just cruising around. that big ripper looks about perfect for an aging dude who aint quite the rider he used to be.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #13

btw if you guys who are into bmx havent watched joe kid on a stingray yet its a must see. it will bring you right back to the good old days.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Man your scooter brings back memories. As a kid I had a kick scooter with BMX bars, full rigid, and 12" wheels and knobby tires. That thing was an absolute blast to ride.
This thing is. Rides really nice, especially for not building it in a jig. It was 2 levels and my good eye straight. I think I am going to make 5 or 6 of them just so I can get people into them. The third one I have started is going to use a Walmart BMX bike as the donor. So the frame made from about $40 in material and a $50-100 BMX bike and you have a fun scooter. I started one, just not far enough along to post a pic. Hopefully this weekend I will finish both of them.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
that big ripper looks about perfect for an aging dude who aint quite the rider he used to be.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Give this man a cookie.

I think I am quite a few things not like I used to be. As a matter of fact I have been telling my customers all day I would see them next week, thinking today was Friday. It really pissed me off when I realized it was not.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I just want the simplicity of a BMX bike. The big ripper is cartoonish in size, and because I am also cartoonish in size it feels pretty good.

I have a Cannondale full suspension mountain bike, an Intense Downhill bike, the Supercross cruiser, and probably my favorite is my Phat Cycle lowrider bike. I have been wanting a cruiser that fits.

For Christmas I bought my kid an electric scooter. I was going to buy one, but wanted a kick scooter. After looking around, and again dealing with my size, there was nothing I could easily buy. I found GravityScooter makes a downhill scooter, but with shipping from England it was almost $500 for the frame. So I built this

The deck is a little high, but I have the parts for a V2 model with a low deck height. I had no idea that the reach down to the ground to kick would make so much difference. This one sits around 7" front ground to deck, the V2 model should be about 3.5". Enough to get around without hanging up on everything.

Understood, and nice toys and good job on that scooter. That does look fun as hell.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Got tired of bent rims on anything bigger than a 20" but havent found a decent replacement under 2k.

Thinking about a gt interceptor because I can get them cheap through work but stolen keeps me wanting their bikes.
SE Quadangle also looks cool.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The key is a good set of well built wheels, and they've come a long way. Even 29ers can take a serious pounding these days and come back begging for more, as evidenced by the fact that there are factory 29er enduro machines these days. But, it comes at a price. Good wheelsets are the best single upgrade I've done to any of my bikes. I'm not a little guy, and I like knowing that I never have to second guess the one thing that's holding me above the rocks and roots whizzing by underneath me. Not to mention they're lighter, and stiffer, it completely changes the whole bike.

EDIT: I almost bought a GT Ruckus recently on closeout. But, then I thought better of it. I'm too old for that shit.

Last edited by hpiguy; 01-29-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Got tired of bent rims on anything bigger than a 20" but havent found a decent replacement under 2k.

Thinking about a gt interceptor because I can get them cheap through work but stolen keeps me wanting their bikes.
SE Quadangle also looks cool.
I would rather have the Quadrangle. They were a limited edition and not for sale new. I have found a used one, but they ask more than new, so I would prefer the BR. I went to buy a Big Ripper today and it was sold. I might see if he will cut me a deal on one if I prepay in CA$H. They ordered me some tires, and are going to fix a wheel for me, I will check back and see what happens.

I have an appointment to try and get my hard earned money stolen from me by obama, and once they return it, I will buy something.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Default BMX style bikes

I'm digging that scooter I may need one in the near future
Add it to my fleet of things I'm too old for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obamahatesbmx

BMX style bikes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for 1/10 bikes REDDEATH Scale Accessories 14 03-03-2009 04:41 PM
Outlawed kids dirt bikes and pit bikes? STOP THIS! h8z2luze Chit Chat 57 02-23-2009 07:43 PM
Quads , Dirt bikes , Street bikes offroad1911 Scale Accessories 1 04-29-2007 09:14 AM