Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Had a little fun with some Rustoleum paint and my wifes SUV yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Had a little fun with some Rustoleum paint and my wifes SUV yesterday

What do you think? Better or worse? She asked me to detail it on my day off, so I cleaned the hell out of it and did this once I was done. It's not Plastidip. I cleaned them with degreaser, scuffed them with a wire brush and then used Duplicolor adhesion promoter and some Rustoleum fine textured satin black. The stripes are vinyl. I also wrapped the Suzuki emblem in the grill with the carbon fiber vinyl I used on the fenders.

The before-

Here it is before adding the chrome "bolts" back to the wheels.

And the after pics-

Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Had a little fun with some Rustoleum paint and my wifes SUV yesterday

On your FB post, I was wondering if the wheels were brake dusted out before you cleaned or you painted them, now I see.

New looks is better, IMO.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Had a little fun with some Rustoleum paint and my wifes SUV yesterday

looks like you knocked 2.7 seconds off the 0-60 time!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Way better in black wheels.

And now you should black out the chrome on the grill too...
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
On your FB post, I was wondering if the wheels were brake dusted out before you cleaned or you painted them, now I see.

New looks is better, IMO.
Yup, they were all kinds of pitted. Once of the center caps had about 30% of the chrome missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
looks like you knocked 2.7 seconds off the 0-60 time!
I estimated teh stickers knocked off about 3 seconds on the 1/4 mile and roughly 15 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Way better in black wheels.

And now you should black out the chrome on the grill too...
Thought about that but I want some chrome on there. That's why I left the "bolts" on the wheels chrome along with the emblems and all. I just wanted to freshen it up and give it a "new car feel" for the wife. Hopefully she'll take some pride in it and help keep it cleaner than she has in the past. So I worked for hours on her SUV and then she pulled in the driveway and according to her, "I was staring at my car and forgot to swing out and hit the mailbox" while pulling the driveway.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ouch. I'd like to say "that will buff out" but dang.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Looks better but for me the chrome bolts are blah. Sticker is blah. Leave the chrome grill cause when the time comes to get rid of it…
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
Ouch. I'd like to say "that will buff out" but dang.
Yeah, it's deep, it pushed the sheet metal in and the "scratch" is where it creases. I've since touched it up with some paint to keep it from rusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Looks better but for me the chrome bolts are blah. Sticker is blah. Leave the chrome grill cause when the time comes to get rid of it…
I had to leave the bolts. All that black left me thinking "spray painted wheels". As for the stripes, I was up in the air on them too after I did them. I'm going to leave them for a week or so to see if they grow on me or not. I'm giving the SUV to my daughter next year when she starts driving so I'm not overly concerned with the grill or trade value. Since Suzuki dropped out of the US market the value dropped by roughly 30% leaving me with a nice amount of negative equity (thanks Suzuki ). A handfull of banks/credit unions won't even finance a Suzuki anymore. Same thing happened when Daiwoo left the states. Hell, some banks won't even finance a Pontiac anymore .
Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Smart banks.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

is it half a grand sport?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #11

Love painting with a rattle can. Painted my trail rig. If you take your time, it can turn out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pastorjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #12
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
is it half a grand sport?
It's the slow half. I figured you of all of the guys in here would catch that, lol . Just a nod to one of my all time favorites.

Had a little fun with some Rustoleum paint and my wifes SUV yesterday - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rustoleum never wet? Beej Axial SCX-10 2 07-30-2013 09:23 PM
Had alittle fun yesterday KMW General Scale Talk 2 07-23-2013 05:30 PM
Proper Clear coat for rustoleum acrylic sbchero Paint and Body 4 04-12-2013 04:02 PM
Rustoleum Enamel Mr.Joshua Paint and Body 11 10-18-2011 09:44 PM
Any paint geeks out there?? Rustoleum picklewagon Paint and Body 13 02-10-2010 10:08 AM