Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #441
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

Big update!

Ran my car at Circuit of the Americas for the first time!
first i replaced all 5 ARP wheel studs on the hub that snaped the lug off. and a fresh brake bleed with Castrol SRF.

when i tried to race the WRL corvette there with half the horsepower and grip of my car i was only able to run a 2:48. so my goal was to break 2:40 for a best lap.

in my very first (and second) session i ran a best of 2:33! off to a good start!

in the very last session in the 99 degree heat, when the track and tires were greasy as hell and horsepower was way down, i managed to click off a 2:30.5 and a 2:30.6! i was SUPER happy with that for my first time out. i know theres alot left of the table between temps and car, and learning the track better.

was a heck of an experience! incredible track. did bring out some glaring issues in the car ive always had. need to address those. for one oil temps got to 300 degrees and rising, had to do a cool down lap. water temps seemed to start to plateau about 248. and some handling issues ive always fought. very demanding and technical track! but we survived and conquered it.

more big updates to come!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #442
Quarry Creeper

That's great Cory, I was wondering how it went. Has to be cool to get to run at a big boy track like that too.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #443
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yeah it was IMMEDIATELY obvious the second we pulled in, were on a whole new level when i pulled up to COTA. instead of the usual S2000s and Mustangs driven to the track, there were GT3 RSs and Mclaren GT4s everywhere and professional stacker semi haulers. u saw all the cars i text yall.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #444
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Been awhile since, my last update, but this is a good one!

Well i decided to give WRL another try this year. Found a seat available with a team called M3thod Motorworks in a E36 M3. Car was a nice build and a previous class winner.
Would be two 8 hour Endurace races at Circuit of the Americas. Multi class racing with our car right in the middle of the 5 classes.

Friday:
Practice day. Was raining and freezing cold in the morning so i took the first afternoon session #3. Sadly the session was black flagged due to a car going into the wall. so i got an out lap and an in lap. so basically no practice. and no full laps at speed.
split the final afternoon session with our "hot shoe" driver. (a former Lamborghini Super Trofeo driver from Europe) He came in after 5 laps or so, and by the time we got me straped into the car and headed down pit road, when i got the the end they pointed me into the pits. Session was over. So id be going into the race, and my first wheel to wheel race ever with no practice in an unfamiliar car and 95 cars on track. We also had no radio. wasnt working all weekend. wed be down to hand signals on the front stretch.

Saturday:
Hot shoe driver takes stint #1. Does well early. were top 5. Gets tagged once, hits our front bumper ripping corner of it off, loosing corner marker, and bending grill surround. but car can continue no problem, tire is just super close to wheel arch. We also loose the starter wire, and had to push start all the rest of saturday.
I assume because of my lack of experience, i get assigned the last stint of our 4 drivers. ie the "just maintain" stint. No worries, just here for experience. I just want to drive and finish this year.

a quote from my facebook post with the vid of getting in the car the first time:
"First time getting in the car, first wheel to wheel race, my first stint ever. What a feeling. Excitement, stress, adrenaline, suppressed preservation fear, and questioning my own abilities. Yet somehow i felt completely calm and comfortable immediately. Yeah i was amped #jumping"

I just wanted to do a full stint, finish the race and not be the slowest duck holding back the team. thats it. Once in the car i did just that. and turns out exceeded my expectations of myself and my team i think too. ended up beating the cars fastest lap at COTA, but also being the fastest guy on the team only bested by the "hot shoe" kid. And i was super consistent doing so even in all the traffic, my lap times were all usually within a second.
Started stint in 3rd and finished in 3rd. no damage to car, and easy on the car to make sure it lasted. i couldnt have been happier with how i did. especially for my first time.

With 2 hours to go we were in 3rd but 2 laps down to 2nd. our hot shoe got in the car to finish, and started clicking off super fast laps again. we were gaining and FAST. they also had to come in and do a splash and go we didnt need. After awhile we were on the same lap as 2nd, and gaining fast still. and with minutes to go we had caught him.
Coming out of the last corner after 8 hours of racing we were side by side with 2nd place. it was a drag race down the front stretch to the finish. But 2nd plase was a modern mustang and there was no way were were gonna beat him to the line. he slowly inched away and at the the line the difference was 0.3 of a second! after 8 hours! if we would have had literally 1 more corner we would have had him. but for a group of "replacements" (and one first timer, me) we had podiumed our first day!

our battle damage from first first stint. on the podium post race grid.

After the race we were one of 6 cars, to either be protested or randomly selected for a dyno check (WRL is classed my power to weight) so we had to wait on that for 2.5 hours while everyone else got to prep there cars for the next day (more on that later) but we passed with flying colors.

Day 1 we were podium winners!

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 11-30-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #445
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Sunday:
After the long dyno and awards night we didnt get to work on or check the car out. And imidiatly we had brake issues. appeared to be extreme pad knock bad. "Hot Shoe" driver did first stint and put in the gravel with no brakes on 1st stint. putting us 3 laps down. they continued to get worse. I had the 3rd stint, and by this time i was having to pump the brakes 3 times for every corner, and with zero confidence in the car really had to back down braking. But by the end i was starting to go quick again and learning the work around. i also got us a lap back.
driver after me got in the car and after 20 minutes came back into the pits, he was up to 5 pumps every corner and didnt feel the car was safe any longer. i understood because i almost did this on my 2nd or 3rd lap. We decided to call it. 3 laps down in 9th or 12th or something it wasnt worth wadding up the car or getting some one hurt. It was the right call. no regrets or disappointment at all.
Sadly my GoPro stopped recording after 1 minute so i have NO footage of my sunday "no brakes" stint. a shame cause there were some good "moments" in there.

But what weekend! my first wheel to wheel race ever. And i met and exceeded all my goals. had a great team, and also support from my wife and family drove in too. So much fun. Was a hell of an experience and im so gratfull for the opportunity. i was ready to hop right back in the car. I think this is the start of something....

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 11-30-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #446
Rock Stacker

man that is awesome! Congrats! Must be such a great feeling! I'm just now prepping for my first HPDE day sometime next year and I am excite about that, this is on such a higher level. Great job!
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #447
~THE SCALE SHOP~

thats awesome, youll love it. thats the path i took.
Thanks!
Old 12-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #448
~THE SCALE SHOP~

time to get caught up on about 4 months.

first i started by gutting the car.
but out of curiousity first i made note of the fuel level and weighed the car before.
the only weight savings before this was the race seats.

then started gutting. i was able to gut the entire car before lunch. but the dash alone took the entire rest of the afternoon even with a bolt by bolt guide.

after weight with the same fuel level

dropped 191 lbs!

in an effort to reduce the ridiculous heat radiating off the torque tube tunnel i decided to try some ceramic insulation. masked off and sprayed the entire tunnel, and also the firewall on the drivers side. Used Lizard Skin brand ceramic insulation and there airgun spray kit as well. (attempted to roll it on first but the roller and the insulation was like oil and water, you could completely dip the roller, submerged in the bucket and it would come out completely clean. )

i also sprayed the same number of layers on a test peice of 1/16" steel. results were very mixed! optical temp gun would always say the coated area was actually hotter than bare steel
there is a heat gun blowing behind the steel.

but by touching it, it was the opposite. bare area i could only touch for a few seconds before burned, and the coated area i could touch indefinitely.

next i cut the doors for the roll cage. yep i said it.
marked the doors in a way that would allow me to keep the electric windows for now, but also push the door bars out a little extra into the door to help with entry/exit to the car with the cage.
i was proud of this little idea...

then got to work with the dremel. was alot more controllable than a big angle grinder with cut off wheel.

after hitting all the cuts with a sanding block and cleaning up all the dust it came out REALLY clean.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 12-28-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #449
I wanna be Dave

Woa....
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #450
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i know. 3 weeks of owning it i pull the top and bottom of the motor off.
now at 2 years im gutting and hacking it up.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #451

There's no turning back now!

I don't know how you guys do it and hack up perfectly good stuff. Did you cry? I would have.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #452
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i bought it specifically for a track car. now no, i didnt know id be doing this. but its natural progression i suppose. like gran tourismo to iRacing. when you love something you always want to take it to the next level.
naa the excitement far outweighed any fear. i remember cutting the hole in the factory hood for the Z28 vent, that one i did have to take a deep breath on first. but then it was nothing after than first drill bit went in.
i will probly miss driving it on the street, not that i did before. but every once and a while. just have to risk the ticket i guess.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #453
Rock Stacker

BIG BALLS!! Really enjoy following along on your journey thanks for sharing your racing passion with us the pics and experience are awesome.
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #454
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
BIG BALLS!! Really enjoy following along on your journey thanks for sharing your racing passion with us the pics and experience are awesome.

lol

this started more as a free way to reference my build and keep track of stuff. and i cant tell you how many times its worked great for that. ie someone has a question, i can go reference what i did with pics and pass it along to them.

or when i forget something i can go look.

then people started actually following it, and now thats what kinda keeps me going. love all the comments, they keep me motivated. so no, thank YOU guys.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
just have to risk the ticket i guess.
They have to catch you first!
Old 12-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #456
Quarry Creeper

No way in hell I could do it Cory, but then again I have world-class roads in any direction from my driveway. But I do respect it, and always enjoy watching it grow and progress. It was already a hell of a track weapon, so IMHO you're just extracting the last bit from the platform that it's capable of. Working mans GT3 if you will, and it's truly one of a kind.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #457
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
They have to catch you first!
haha ive been to jail for street racing. so im pretty timid on the streets MOST of the time now. but thats how i got caught. i stoped at a gas station after, and like 3 minutes later he pulls in and yells to throw the keys out the car and exit the vehicle. then he "cuffed and stuffed" me.

that was an expensive race....
Old 12-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
haha ive been to jail for street racing. so im pretty timid on the streets MOST of the time now. but thats how i got caught. i stoped at a gas station after, and like 3 minutes later he pulls in and yells to throw the keys out the car and exit the vehicle. then he "cuffed and stuffed" me.

that was an expensive race....
Did you tell him you life your life a quarter mile at a time?

You are the first person that I know that got busted for street racing. I'm sure it hurt the pocket a ton.

I forgot to say it's hella impressive that you dropped 191 pounds from the car in this step! That's like removing an above average sized driver from the car.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #459
~THE SCALE SHOP~

lol.
if there is a silver lining, it was when street racing was a misdemeanor, just before it became a felony.

the 191 lb is impressive, but to me the before weight was even more impressive. under 3100 street car.
with all the new electronics in new cars there pigs, that low weight doenst happen anymore. even new vettes, and carbon supercars. the C6Z truly is a last of its breed imo.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:27 PM   #460
Rock Crawler

Soooo.. I guess going back to stock is out of the picture now? LOL
Now it looks like your Really Serious about racing and not just has a hobby..
Glad to watch your racing Videos.
My cars range from 128 hp n/a (fun to drive but not fast but Quick and great MPG) to 270 hp w/turbo (quick but not fast)as a D.D.
(I hope somebody understands that)
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote