Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #461
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

haha yeah ive always gone the extra mile with all my mods to insure they could be reversed. ie go back to stock.
but i think i just surpassed what point now.
yep i was a drag racer when i was young. i definitely understand the difference between a quick car and a fast car.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #462
~THE SCALE SHOP~

threw the magic of the internet, 3 months have gone by and the cage is now done! (also caught up with present day)

it just so happens my "home" track of MSR Cresson is also home of Gspeed. probly the biggest track Corvette shop in the country. thats all they do is road race corvettes. my car being aluminum frame i didnt feel i could tackle the cage myself.
i had some very specific wants, as this was the first time i let someone else work on my cars. and im VERY picky. cage is wheel to wheel legal for SCCA/NASA etc.

Door bar design i came up with to maximize entry/exit hole, yet still keep electric windows.

requested no diagonal rear bar for maximum rear view mirror visability

tight cuts and clean TIGs

note weather stripping retained and roof/a-pillar bars hardly visable.

ultra tight a-pillar and roof bar

Gspeed typically punctures the "rear bulkhead" behind the seats and attaches the main hoop to the rear frame rails. i didnt like the looks, or holes cut of that, it also required removal of the gas tanks. they came up with this "street style" mount that kept everything in the cab.

not a bit of daylight showing between the two

snug and tight here too

its always in the details. covers the hole in the tub going to the frame rails. foam in the depressions help seal out the outside/exhaust

harness bar and diagonal brace (diagonal brace comes close passenger seat which will most likely be removed for coolsuit, not close to drivers seat at all)

tight to the body

texas race car with AC?

loooooooooots of work to do now!
Old 01-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #463
I wanna be Dave

Wowza
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #464
Rock Stacker

your build is coming along really well, you're going to have a blast with it.
I just signed up for my first HPDE. very excited. will be at VIR. I have run there doing charity laps but this won't be a lead/follow session.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #465

I typically don't like silver or black wheels. This car has both and I love it. It looks bad ass! I love 5-spoke wheels for sure.

So...when can I take it for a spin?
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #466
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I typically don't like silver or black wheels. This car has both and I love it. It looks bad ass! I love 5-spoke wheels for sure.

So...when can I take it for a spin?

February 3rd
i plan to be back on track then
Old 01-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
February 3rd
i plan to be back on track then
Noice! Booking my flight to Texas now.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #468
~THE SCALE SHOP~

got a bunch of smalls done. took forever with the weekend weather and ordering/waiting on little trinkets all the time.
breaking it up into several posts for my own sanity.

Installed Autoblip

Made a new center dash. cut it out then had local HVAC shop break the bends in it for me. then wraped it in Carbon vinyl

bent and welded up some harness brackets with Grade 8 studs. just a vise and a sledge on these

Welding up tabs for the window net, this was a nightmare of a day. EVERYTHING fought me on such a simple task.

Shops were charging $1500-2000 to professionally spray the cage/interior. Decided to brush it on myself for $35. took about 2 afternoons of masking. then just a good gameplan to not paint myself into a corner.

more coming....
Old 04-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #469
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Took about 4 days/afternoons to put 2 coats on it. started in the hatch, then everything i could reach from inside (leaving exit bars unpainted) then everything else i could reach from the outside. Used Rustoleum Safety Red. still have about 15/16ths of a gallon left

Made a panel to cover the passenger fuse box from feet. will also mount my relays for accessories to it (coolers, fans/ pumps etc)

required to have a power kill accessible from outside of the drivers window. Instead of running heavy 0 gauge wire from pass side to here, then back to pass side, i borrowed a trick from AJ Hartman and did a cable pull. used a jeep lightbar mount. works flawless everytime.

more to come....
Old 04-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #470
~THE SCALE SHOP~

fire suppression. went with Lifeline 360 kit. really nice and came with triple the nozzles it was supposed to.
made another bracket to mount it infront/under passenger seat.

cable pull within reach of driver when fully belted

cable pull can be removed with 1 bolt and moved if i have a passenger.

drivers side 180* fan nozzle

drivers straight nozzle, aimed at my chest

pass side 180* fan nozzle

more to come....
Old 04-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #471
~THE SCALE SHOP~

FINISHED!!! other than a few little things ive pretty much got this thing ready for tech i believe.
had to redo the harnesses cause SCCA had a specific way they wanted them threaded threw the buckles

TC button, autoblip, and switch panel for now. Also drew up this C6R badge in autocad to the mm of Pratt & Millers original. had my machinist make me a few and painted it up.

all done for now!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #472
I wanna be Dave

So I take it that this is now more race car than street car?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #473
~THE SCALE SHOP~

what was your first clue?
Old 04-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #474
Rock Stacker

Looks awesome! You are ready for some real racing! Keep us posted, the thread is great. Living vicariously and all.
But I did my first HPDE in Feb at VIR. was amazing! nowhere near race level or even solo HPDE but maybe someday
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #475
Quarry Creeper

You ruined an amazing street car Cory. But damn it looks like a nice race car though.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #476
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
You ruined an amazing street car Cory. But damn it looks like a nice race car though.
Not from what I can see...

Nice job keep up the good work..

Pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #477
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
that i did. still hard to believe. was the nicest and most expensive thing id ever owned
when i visit my mom, she still cringes and gives me a hard time for what i did to the car.

but i bought it to track. specifically. even when it was still full street car i rarely drove it on street. track only.

but technically it still has plates, AC, and electric windows soooo
#becausestreetcar
Old 04-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #478
I wanna be Dave

you need this sticker for the back window!

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #479
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
that i did. still hard to believe. was the nicest and most expensive thing id ever owned
when i visit my mom, she still cringes and gives me a hard time for what i did to the car.

but i bought it to track. specifically. even when it was still full street car i rarely drove it on street. track only.

but technically it still has plates, AC, and electric windows soooo
#becausestreetcar

Oh I know buddy, I'm just giving you a ration of shit for it. I'd get in trouble in no time flat on the street too. Impromptu meetings with law enforcement is another reason I sold the bike. Can't wait to see how much difference there is on your next track day from the stiffness of the cage and the uh, other mod you haven't posted yet.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #480
~THE SCALE SHOP~

finally! back to the track after 11 months off. Between the strip down, the cage, and Covid-19 i cant believe its been that long. :(

New Sways:
installed some aFe Johnny O Connell Chromoly sway bars. To help combat the all the time oversteer this car has suffered from since day 1. doing the math on the diameters it should be about a 15% swing towards understeer. i set the adjustable rear bar to its max softness as well.

Sway bar weights

OEM C6Z:
Front 10lb 13oz (31mm)
Rear 6lb 9oz (28.5mm)

JOC Chromoly:
Front 12lb 0oz (35mm)
Rear 5lb 6oz (29mm)

Ended up being a wash on weight which is great for the increase in size.

man what a difference. the rear was a LOT more planted, confidence in the rear of the car definitely went up, which was the whole purpose of these. so nice when a part makes a noticeable difference in what its actually supposed to do. a couple of times i even got FRONT tire slide where it was trying to push. ive never had that before. may move up a hole on the rear sway.

DEI tunnel heat sheild
phase 3 in project "keep fatty cool". did the full top and side kit.
didnt seem to help any. (pipes were already wrapped)

TCS button
in the first session i couldnt get the TCS to turn off (my car normally defaults this to off when i start car because i have the swps unpluged) i tried to go out, but the car was damn near dangerous with TCS on in cornering. yanking throttle out mid corner while fully loaded. was even getting it pulling throttle at top of 3rd!
finally later we discovered just the button was bad. we made a jump wire, and with some facebook wireing diagram help was able to manually jump it and get TCS turned off before each session. new button ordered.

Traffic was pretty bad every session so i never got a clean lap in. no new lap records, but my driving was also rusty so it was fine.

Been working on some branding/logos for myself. really only cool to just me

Autoblip
first time finally getting to try it on track. at first it was too agressive, but i tuned on the adjusters and got it pretty close. i really liked it. going to be really benificial on a couple corners at COTA like T12 i think.

Leak
early in the day i started getting a mist on the passenger side windsheild (threw vented hood) seems to be focused around the two heater hoses coming off the waterpump near the thermo housing. also did appear to loose about 1/2" of water in the reservoir per session. new rear heater hose ordered. cant find the front one available.

had a very unusual 4 off happen. T8. in 100s of laps in 3 years, ive never had the car even get remotly close to acting like it every wanted to get nervous here. all i can think of is several tiny factors all happened at same time to cause it. never happened again any other lap that day.

uncut raw footage of my second to last session. nothing great, just some rusty driving.

great to be back on track again!

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 05-24-2020 at 02:59 PM.