Rock Stacker

Default Re: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

Some good driving the car sounds wicked. Thanks for sharing
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #482
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Got a bit behind on posting but time to get caught up.
Went to track again, but loaded up after first session. still had coolant leak and found oil in the radiator. Fear was blown head gasket and id driven the entire previous track day that way. as a bonus as i pulled off the track worried about the motor, i did the rookie mistake and pulled the parking brake out of habit with hot brakes. it welded itself to the rotor and i couldnt move the car. so that was fun loading and unloading.

pulling heads to replace head gaskets we notice the D shape exhaust gaskets have been leaking for 3+ years. TSP recommended switching to normal round gaskets to solve the issue instead of the LS7 D shaped ones. (header flange/tube is round)

bad news was after pulling the heads (and loosing TONS of time and money), the head gaskets were completely fine! Blackstone oil report came back clean as well. no water in oil.

after some more investigating, we found the mystery coolant leak. the coolant cross over tube. a $40 part we could have replaced in 20 minutes...

Motor mounts had also busted and started leaking oil, so we replaced them with Hinsen Poly motor mounts

also installed new parking brake assemblys and re assembled the motor.

and then i built the bullet. Bought Pen$ke 8300 2 way adjustable coilover$. no more leaf springs.

These are the Gspeed versions with their corvette specific valving and spring rates. separate 40 click adjustments on both compression and rebound.

Front

Rear

We spent 2.5 hours perfecting the new ride heights and alignment. added 1/2 a degree camber to the rear, and dropped the ass a full inch.
landed on 26-1/16" to the wheel arches front and rear.

this whole post spaned 2 months of down time :(

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 10-28-2020 at 09:17 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #483
Quarry Creeper

Can't wait to hear how you like the suspension upgrades Cory. Great stuff!
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #484
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Back to the track! staying safe!

first time with the new Penske Coilovers. first day impressions were that they were not an "OMG these are amazing!" first impression, but by the end of the day they did seem to solve my 4 year problem of "all the time oversteer" or at least make it MUCH better. so they look promising. i have a hunch on slicks and closer to the limit driving they will shine more.

First time on Penskes and also my first attempt at being a Youtube star. haha

turns out im terrible at it and ackward in front of the camera lol. but i gave it a shot. forgot to film an intro though.

any thoughts or feedback on the video style, me, or my driving is welcome to help me improve in the future.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #485
Rock Crawler

Good stuff!

Badass car, man!
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #486
~THE SCALE SHOP~

After the last track day above, the parking brake failed on the trailer after coming home and the car unloaded itself. forceing me to learn paint and body. quiet the experience.

short version has all talking removed, and all clips reduced to 15 seconds.

in total was a little over 2 month project.

long version
Old 03-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #487
~THE SCALE SHOP~

new Carbon Wing!
Old 04-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #488
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Gotten behind on my updates.
Had a bunch of firsts last month. First time with NASA, first time on NT01 tires, first time with wing, and first time running the half course 1.7 mile at MSR Cresson.

Nasa:
Got my nasa membership and my first time running with nasa (just track day for now) busiest ive ever seen Cresson. place was packed. sadly i had to miss Super Lap Battle at COTA for this, but was a requirement to get my license later.

Nitto NT01s:
first time trying these. i have to say i was pretty impressed, even coming from my Rivals. especially the first two heat cycles/sessions, they felt untouchable. like i could do anything i wanted and they just took it and delivered. after those first two heat cycles though i could already somehow feel them falling off a touch. still inline with the rivals, but not as good as those first two magic heat cycles. ive later learned they may like lower pressures than the rivals. (always ran at 34psi) i need to do more testing.

Wing:
YES YES YES!!!! this is the balance and confidence ive been looking for in this car for 4 years! even with it only set at 0.85* (no splitter) the difference in balance and confidence was VERY obvious! i felt SO confident to drive harder. awesome!

Cresson 1.7
never could get the new to me crossover right. messed my timing for richocet up as well. i was slow there all day.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #489
Rock Stacker

That is great your car is coming together. Nice when you have a car you can really drive with confidence
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #490
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
new Carbon Wing!
Holy fawk! Impressive.

Love the car, man!
Old 04-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #491
I wanna be Dave

Default STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
new Carbon Wing!

The wing makes it! Beautiful C6!

I see you reppin Gspeed Chassis out here!

(yes, I am aware Gspeed is a 1:1 racing brand)

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #492
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Exclamation Re: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

Got my NASA Racing License! + beginners luck?

What a weekend! Been busting my butt the last 6 months to get this thing all legal for nasa. Drove up to Eagles Canyon Raceway to attend the comp school to get my NASA license. Passed the classes, test, and drills friday and was throw straight into the racing saturday and sunday. Showed up on street tires against everyone else on slicks, also had the wing set at 1/2 a degree and no splitter and 125 lbs too heavy. All at a track id never even seen!

but i was there just to have fun, and get the license. my only goal. but it turns out i was actually competitive. 48 hours after getting my rookie license i had Three 2nd places and a win! couldnt believe it!
The car did awesome too. never took out a single tool or jack. never touched it. was flawless. just napped under the shade tree between races. brakes were really strong, i could go as deep as anyone. but the street tires just couldnt hang in the corners. The main car i battled with all weekend for the lead was a Mazerati GT4 car on Pirelli slicks.

Also got to meet a ton of the guys i sim race with. got a HELL of a start on the final race going from 9th to 4th before the first turn. Went on to pull off the win. What a weekend, Excited for the future!

Comp School

Tech Inspection

Griding up

Lets Go! All of my sim racing kept me calm. I had been in all of these situations 1000s of times. only difference, now it was real fiberglass and blood

T2

first race, first podium. 2nd Place. whos amped?!

just hittin marks

Yellow C5 was in Comp School with me. young kid. Had a bunch of trouble in tech, but did well too.

Grid focus. every race i kept moving up the qual spots 1 position as i learned the track.

my main competition all weekend. GT4 Mazerati on Pirelli Slicks. my street tires could hang the first two laps. but once his slicks were up to temp, he slowely walked away.

Race#4 final of the weekend. i had a killer start taking over lead in class, and 4th overall, and held onto it for my first win!!!!!!

T1 car was really strong on the brakes here

What a weekend!

Happened right ahead of me

Sadly my GoPro stoped on grid, on race 4 and my first win. luckily a few racers donated there footage of my awesome start

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 05-01-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #493
Rock Crawler

Old 05-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #494
I wanna be Dave

Congrats on getting your license & the wins!
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #495
Rock Crawler

Nice work man !!
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #496
I wanna be Dave

Hell's yeah man! That's gotta make all the hours and dollars you've poured into that car worth it. When's your next race?

Any plans to try and shed some weight?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #497
Rock Stacker

Great job! That is amazing. Looks like you are having a great time.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #498
Quarry Creeper

Congrats Cory, that's awesome! Also Cory, nah I'll buy this second-hand race suit and just roll up the bottoms and buy race fuel with the left over money.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #499
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Congrats on getting your license & the wins!
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude26 View Post
Nice work man !!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Hell's yeah man! That's gotta make all the hours and dollars you've poured into that car worth it. When's your next race?

Any plans to try and shed some weight?
definetly lots of prep. man building to rules is exhausting. next race is this weekend. 7 hour haul to OKlahoma
luckily im not far off from my min weight for class. sheding 100lbs shouldnt be too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikl View Post
Great job! That is amazing. Looks like you are having a great time.
suprisingly calm. best time ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Congrats Cory, that's awesome! Also Cory, nah I'll buy this second-hand race suit and just roll up the bottoms and buy race fuel with the left over money.
almost true
Me: who makes the cheapest SFI rated race suit? Zamp? Large ordered. comes in and its WAY too tight in the crotch. like parachute strap tight. returned for a XL. baggy as shit everywhere, but proper torso height/crotch fit.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #500
~THE SCALE SHOP~

getting serious!

Picked up two new sets of Forgestars on blackfriday.
built to my specs
18x11 +45mm
18x12 +52mm

scored a killer deal on black friday. extra discount for two sets. and just in time. got email next month Forgestars are going to have a 15-20% price increase.
Gloss Kingsport grey, other than in direct sunlight they are very dark/deep. told them i wanted the darkest gunmetal that wasnt black.

first set of slicks! Hoosier R7s

New wrap!!
Worked with a company on the artwork for several months. and they nailed it. i love it. it transformed the car!

right after install. upclose you can see the details. hex background. stripe inside of stripe, etc.

Bigger Oil Coolers
at COTA i was seeing oil temps hit 300* and i would back off for a lap. bought this generic kit off ebay for just over $100. also bought a second cooler and fan separately.

origonal plan was to do a grassroots cheap version of Gspeeds dual fog light coolers.

but the longer i had the coolers before starting, the more i thought about it. i REALLY love my fog light brake cooling ducts. they work so well. and i didnt like all the nose weight and long plumbing of this setup. also seemed to be in a prime spot for race damage. while proven i wanted to try something different.

decided to remove the windsheild washer tank and see if it would be possible to squeeze the both of them in the fender. and if so could i get enough air threw them to make them work.

with some creative packaging they both fit! with 1/8" to spare.
behind them there is a 4" x 8" tunnel that leads to the engine bay. that would be my supply air rather than from wheel well or below.

hole for lines cut. thats the black frame rail on right. and the lower wheel liner on bottom, same wheel arch liner on left. in and out fittings shown.

shortened the included lines to 34 and 35"

bolted to the block

in my excitement to finish i forgot to take pics all plumbed and with fan. it was a long day. heres a pic threw the exit duct in the fender.

next up: 7 hour haul to Oklahoma. first time to Hallet Track.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 06-03-2021 at 08:29 PM.