Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

Nice Camaro! I have a 2013 SS 1LE and love it.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

You need bigger brakes, Cory. I seem to recall going to a version of the 13" PBR stuff with dual piston calipers was a pretty cost effective solution for 4th Gens back in the day. Not sure you really need to mess with the rears, but it sure wouldn't hurt. And absolutely upgrade your brake hoses.

Ducting and fluid will certainly help, but as you develop your car's potential and your skills you'll be pushing the brakes harder and harder. And you now have a taste of the potential consequences if they fail. I'm actually surprised you ran out there as long as you did with the brakes fading so badly.

Get those brakes upgraded, my friend. I've seen too many ugly track day issues that resulted from failing brakes.

Also, I know you like black wheels. If you decide to go that route on yours, don't powdercoat them. I've got stories about those failing on the track, too.

Glad to see you were taking the low line into T1. It's not the faster of the two options, but it's safer and a LOT easier on the car! Track days are a blast, huh?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Carbotech pads and a good quality fluid. ATE Superblue or Motul 600 both will be better.

Track will push the pads more, even autox on tracks. If that the end goal many of those you will likely need cooling and possibly better calipers and larger rotors or a full big brake kit.

knsbrakes.com usually has great deals.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #64
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yeah looking into 13" C6 and 14" CTSV. 4th gens don't need rear brakes, infact they have too much. known for terrible wheel hop in rear with stock brakes, a lot of guys are going to smaller LT1 rear brakes or other methods of reduceing rear braking.
definatly a fluid change, and probly venting too. although the larger brakes do offer more heat sink effect. but ill probly do both. for confidence in the car to be there when I need it.
yeah I did the high line once. the drag shocks and 120,000 mile front struts, and the "Cadillac soft" Eibach springs did NOT like it. gotta get the balls to learn 5th to 4th downshift there too.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I remember that horrible axle hop under braking, but I think that's more to do with the torque arm than the power of the brakes. My 3rd Gen didn't do it so much, but it had a slightly longer torque arm that helped reduce the effect. Smaller brakes is a band-aid, IMO. Maybe a de-coupled torque arm should be on your list of upcoming mods?

And you'll love the car on the track once you get some spring rate and some damping in it.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Oh, and don't fall into the marketing ploy of drilled rotors. Do a LOT of research (I know you will) before pulling the trigger. Cracks just LOVE to propagate around those holes.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #67
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yep. these were just left over from the old car show days. young and dumb.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #68
~THE SCALE SHOP~

pulled an all nighter and got the suspension in. about 3 hours.

moved the C clip in the front that holds the lower spring cup to give an extra 1/4" drop

out back i pulled out the rubber spring isolator at the top and did the heater hose mod to get a extra 1/2" drop in the rear.

sits a little higher than my old springs still as i expected. front is livable but the rear is still a little higher than id like. may end up cutting 1/2 to 1 coil off the rears.

also did a full flush on the brake fluid using an air bleeder. fully flushed with cheap brake fluid first, then again with the Motul 600. the stock fluid was filthy, the cheap fluid was clear, and the Motul was amber, so it made it real easy to see when it was completely flushed at each corner. followed each corner with a couple manual pump bleeds to check for air.
brakes feel good now. harder and higher than i ever remember the pedal.

got an alignment as well. i went with -1.0 camber (factory specs are +.4!) and 5.0 degrees of caster. had some toe out in it at first to make turn in more responsive, but ended up going back to 0 so i didnt have to worry about scrub or crack walking on the highway.
pretty cool $60K alignment machine only used cameras. no electronics in the wheel attachment.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #69
MODERATOR™

Cut a spring coil and you're gay.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Cut a spring coil and you're gay.
Hey EeePee
If Nissans Motorsport Division is Nismo
Does that Make Hondas Homo

PS On a serious note me likey Stangkiller
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

+4° camber?! Thag explains why I've seen so many GM vehicles that look like the front wheels are about to fold under when they're turned or the front is at full droop.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

+0.4 degrees, not +4 degrees.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

True, I was tired when I posted that, but it's still positive camber. I'm begining to wonder if they use negative caster too from the way their Impalas and SUV's look when turning.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #74
~THE SCALE SHOP~

from what ive heard their "theory" is that when you add the weight of driver the suspension compresses giving you 0 camber for optimal tire wear. but I aint that fat yet and I don't have a passenger. still terrible for handling.
I was running -1.3 before with the old big drop and it was noticeable to the eye. surprisingly the -1.0 isn't as noticeable visually.
stock caster specs is +4.8. Around +6.5 is max achievable with stock components.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #75
5th D Owner/Driver

The alignment shop I use asks how much you weigh and if you carry passengers regularly and if so how much they weigh, when the alignment is being done they add the weight to the seats.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #76
~THE SCALE SHOP~

had my second PDS last weekend
good times

I don't know if im getting better, or everyone else got slower, but on 3 of my sessions I started 1 minute behind everyone and by the end of the session I had passed the entire field (about 12 cars id guess) I felt like I was actually pushing less as I was on $20 autozone pads.

lunch time got to drive up and check out the old skyboxes atop the bleachers. cool perspective from up there.

few clips I threw together trying to use GoPro Studio, not my best driving, just trying to get a hang of the program
Old 08-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #77
~THE SCALE SHOP~

on my final session of the weekend, I actually got my blue group "solo" approval!
first time out on the track without an instructor. good way to end the weekend.
unfortunately on my 3rd lap I blew it. came into 4 too hot and trailed the brakes waaay too long and spun at the top of the hill.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Our groups corvette guys run rear toe out to give better turn in, its not much but it does help in the tight areas. This came from our testing in the AWD understeer machines (Subarus).

But neutral is a very good start to learn, you'll slowly find the sweet spot.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #79
~THE SCALE SHOP~

went back to local AutoX this last weekend and did alot better.

vid of my timed runs

run #3 (thanks Steve!)
Old 08-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Rev limiter seems to work....
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote