Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #81
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: STANG KILLA SS Goes Racin

well I think I finally reached the end of my braking ordeal.

14" 5th Gen Stoptech Cryogenic frozen rotors, with center bore machined out to 70.6mm for 4th gen hub
Gen 1 CTS-V Brembo 4 Piston Calipers
Hawk HP+ Pads
Kore3 Stainless and coated lines

Huge difference over stock

well after fitting the brakes and after all my research the new brakes wouldn't clear my wheels. diameter had about .1" which I was fine with, but the fat lip and the +25 offset, the spokes wouldn't clear the new huge calipers. enough spacer to clear the calipers made the tires stick out 2".

So I had no choice but new wheels. cheapest wheels with the specs I needed were these Black Chrome C6 Spyder wheels. 18x9.5 +40 offset.

after getting the wheels in and test fitting them, I took them in to get my old tires transferred to these wheels. well they were so dry rotted the beads were just ripping as they tried to get them off the old wheels. (date stamp on tires was 200 so I had no choice but to order tires. this "cheap" big brake upgrade was adding up now.

figured I may as well go with something sticky, but wanted to still keep street stock legal (200 min tread wear) so I went with the Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2 tires. 285/35/18 Lots of great track reviews especially for there price. there as wide as my old BFG 295s

finished up.

bedding in test drive showed a lot of promise. I think I may need harness's now...

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 08-29-2015 at 12:35 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #82
MODERATOR™

The old, big brake rabbit hole wallet depletion trick. It'll getcha. Glad I never had to go that route.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Loving the new wheel and tar setup!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Next you'll want a cage and frame stiffeners. Looks hawt so far.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Not knocking your new brakes, just curious how retro-fittable 'Vette brakes from the same era would have been to your chassis? How is your stock proportioning valve reacting to the new brakes?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #86
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Not knocking your new brakes, just curious how retro-fittable 'Vette brakes from the same era would have been to your chassis? How is your stock proportioning valve reacting to the new brakes?

c5 and c6 brakes can be made to fit with an adapter called "track brackets"
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server15...0.1280.jpg?c=2

but I didn't care for the idea of a bracket adapter or any other doodads bolted on, especially in such and important high stress area. more to break or fail. also added cost of the bracket. and the vette brakes are only a 1" increase. the caddilac was 2". the vette calipers are PBR, and the Cadillac's are Brembo.
now the positive to the vette upgrade is I may have been able to keep my old wheels and tires. no way to know. but im telling myself now if they were that dryrotted they probly weren't safe for 140mph.

this wasn't a whim. I spent two month alone just researching the brake upgrade. I made spreadsheets and read several 35 page forum posts etc.
heres my spread sheet
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...psoo765ozk.jpg

as far as proportioning, that's the huge bonus for the fbody. from the factory, they had a huge rear bias for some reason. really made extreme braking (especially with abs) very tough. known for rear wheel hop under braking in fact from so much rear bias. lots of guys even run smaller LT1 rear brakes, and cheap pads to try to aid this bad bias.
the new bigger front brakes address that without the need to do any valves. im gonna be curious to see if the abs fights me less.

a little fun fact, 5th gen Camaro rear rotors, are larger than the fronts.

whew, went a little keyboard crazy there

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 08-30-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

spread sheets are always a great way to compare notes side by side. I agree that the new thars and wheelz look great, and the new rubber was probably a great increase in safety. Looking forward to the vids from the next track day!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #88
~THE SCALE SHOP~

best event yet! car was completly transformed!

Hankooks and brakes did amazing. Only had to use probly 25% brake power/pedal and ran all weekend long strong zero fad. Also really helped the Braking bias, no more oversteer when braking, and ABS really left me alone. Big improvment. Tires were awesome, covered me on a few bad lines keeping me straight and on track. Lots more grip and turn in and got rid of under steer. Car did great! for the first time nothing broke, failed, or let me down (well broke seat braket) If i had to find a flaw i would say that using so little of the massive braking power, it gave back very little "feel" threw the pedal since i was just breathing of them. but still insane performance.

the square tire setup really livened up the car too, lots more turn in and neutral steering, vs the old staggered setups understeer. also the lots softer compound was really working and making a difference. big jump in grip.

Had one of my best sessions ever Saturday i think it was. Decided to go out with the leaders. Following #1 full race C5Z. Gave me something to push for and overcome my comfort zone. Was flying out there and really wheelin the car finally. Tires were screamin for mercy. I kept pushing and the car kept taking it. awesome run. Also finally figured out a better line for me into 8, turning in early. What a blast!!!!

Heres a few random clips from the weekend (long)

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 09-16-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #89
~THE SCALE SHOP~

also got to run in the rain

saw the storm coming right before my session and knew i wanted to try it. most sat out, i think only 8 or so of us went out in the wet.

i left it in 5th and putted around, dropping my cornering speeds to around 60. caught a few cars that i guess were going even easier than i was.

slow and boring wet vid. got progressivly worse as the session went on.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Awesome progress in car and driving.

Keep a watchful eye on those Hawk pads. Hawk is well known as poorly made (the pad material very often separates from the backing plates).
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #91
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Thanks! i could definatly feel the difference this event. i think confidence is alot of it.

i ran hawk HP on my street setup for 10 years without issue. however i have noticed these HP+ pads put out a TON of dust compared to the old ones. doesnt take 15 minutes of driving for the front wheels to be a nice matte black coating. normal for race pads though. also squell a bit after hot at slow speeds, again normal for race pads.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

I myself used Carbotechs. For Autox their AX-6 are amazing, require no heat to work well and yet provide track level stopping. I ran them as Daily for 2 years, noisey and I found myself able to brake too much for traffic so I was always worried about getting rear ended.

I sold my WRX and went Jeep, can't tell you how much I miss autox...I go with friends just for ride alongs still though.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #93
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Had an awesome event at the last autocross. Car and myself did very well. It was a really open course which suited my bigger car well. Was super stoked with my times. I did so well I ended up winning the RWD class! and even better I also beat the entire AWD class too other than 1st place.

Vids of the a few runs. better runs start at the 3:09 mark

And then this happened

forged internals and ARPs, but im assuming a rod or rod bolt let go.

video here, about the :29 second mark I started hearing a double exhaust note/echo, i figured i had just blown a header gasket or broke an exhaust weld or something. I backed off but kepts going. coming back into the crossover the rear tires locked up and the motor let out the smoke. no real noises, booms, or scrapnel sounds. just died.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Damn that sucks! Time to transfer a bunch of parts to an lq9.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

That sucks Corey...ouch.

Time for an LS6...though I think that may move you into another class.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
That sucks Corey...ouch.

Time for an LS6...though I think that may move you into another class.
I was talking with the local scca autocross club president the other day about whether an engine swap I've been trying to convince myself into doing g would move my classification. He had great advice about it. "You aren't worried about winning so build what you enjoy and have fun". So simple yet I was sweating the small stuff.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #97
MODERATOR™

That's the polite way to say yes and the class you'll be in will kick your butt. Seen it all too often. Which is fine of course but some people get tired of not even being close to the others in the same class and bail.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
That's the polite way to say yes and the class you'll be in will kick your butt. Seen it all too often. Which is fine of course but some people get tired of not even being close to the others in the same class and bail.
Sure but not everyone will throw a hiss fit when they don't win 2 events in a row.

They group a newer G37 in NS2 with us. His slowest time is usually about 6 seconds faster than the rest of the groups fastest times. He's a good driver with 200 tread wear tires and double the horsepower than the rest of us. We all come back event after event and compete with each other and let him sit on top. We have a blast any way.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #99
MODERATOR™

Good attitude. Don't lose that.

I see Tommy R looking, I bet he knows what I'm talking about.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

If I wanted to rule the world at the track I sure as hell wouldn't have picked a pickup with a tractor engine in it. I'd dig up some obscure class with a huge pax and swing that participation trophy around like a 14" pecker.